Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 14:36   #436
BHPian

Re: 2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Hey Everyone! I had booked a MG hector (Sharp Pro CVT, H Grey) on 22 Feb and have finally received the car in Mumbai. Unfortunately the 40k odd price hit after March I have had to absorb!

I did a detailed PDI of the car day before and a few issues stood out and I wanted the group members perspective if these are issues in all MG Hectors:

1. Slight bulge in the roof liner on the Left side rear (pic attached) - I examined a few other hectors and did not find this. I have asked them to rectify but they are hesitant to tinker with the roof liner. Any suggestions? I hate having that thought in my head!
2. Poor fit on the Centre console where the gear lever meets the infotainment screen. (pic attached) - this fit issue I saw with all hectors I could find in the lot/ showroom. I guess I will have to live with it.
3. Scratch on the fuel lid (very small but nonetheless visible and deep), they have addressed with a new part apparently
4. I did start the car and switch on all features - the Auto Hold light did not come on after pressing (parking brake did) ... is it only on a incline or in motion this comes on?
5. Car was extremely dusty and dirty in the lot. While externally it was ok, internally to see the new car with dirty roof, seats smudged and their protective sheet mostly torn up was distressing. I was told everything is checked in Bhiwandi where the cars are unloaded and then driven to Malad W to their lot. Car had covered 43kms.

6. Finally, if any members can highlight best deals (on price, loan financing, accessories received, freebies) it will be useful.

While the overall experience has been okay with MG these niggles during PDI have soured my mood. I just hope I am not ending up with a lemon. Should I cancel this car and ask for another ? Apparantly the waiting time has gone upto 4 months now!

Thanks in advance! cheers
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-image0-1.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-image1-1.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-image2.jpeg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-image3.jpeg  

Old 15th April 2023, 18:20   #437
BHPian

Just got to know that there is no way we can come to know whether the MG Hector we are buying is RDE 2 compliant. Sitting at the showroom as the delivery of my vehicle is tomorrow. They say that it is 100% BS6-2, but nothing on Form 22 also says that. So God knows whats true.
Old 16th April 2023, 08:05   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Just got to know that there is no way we can come to know whether the MG Hector we are buying is RDE 2 compliant. Sitting at the showroom as the delivery of my vehicle is tomorrow. They say that it is 100% BS6-2, but nothing on Form 22 also says that. So God knows whats true.
Registrations post April 1st are compulsorily only for RDE compliant vehicles, that is the only way I guess.

I was able to verify that manufacturing was in March, but nothing more.
Old 16th April 2023, 16:07   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish69 View Post
1. Slight bulge in the roof liner on the Left side rear (pic attached) - I examined a few other hectors and did not find this. I have asked them to rectify but they are hesitant to tinker with the roof liner. Any suggestions? I hate having that thought in my head!
2. Poor fit on the Centre console where the gear lever meets the infotainment screen. (pic attached) - this fit issue I saw with all hectors I could find in the lot/ showroom. I guess I will have to live with it.
3. Scratch on the fuel lid (very small but nonetheless visible and deep), they have addressed with a new part apparently
4. I did start the car and switch on all features - the Auto Hold light did not come on after pressing (parking brake did) ... is it only on a incline or in motion this comes on?
5. Car was extremely dusty and dirty in the lot. While externally it was ok, internally to see the new car with dirty roof, seats smudged and their protective sheet mostly torn up was distressing. I was told everything is checked in Bhiwandi where the cars are unloaded and then driven to Malad W to their lot. Car had covered 43kms.

6. Finally, if any members can highlight best deals (on price, loan financing, accessories received, freebies) it will be useful.
Congratulations on your vehicle and colour choice! A fellow Havana Grey owner.

No. 1, 2 and 3. Can't comment on these, however try to get it rectified to your satisfaction from the dealership. I did have a few black spots on the roof lining instead, most likely from people getting in/out even at the dealership just predelivery. But nothing major.

No. 4 - Auto Hold requires Drivers seatbelt to be buckled. Sharing page from Manual for reference.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot-20230416-15.45.06.png

Overall, I'm not sure why you're thinking on the car to be a lemon? Is it a gut feeling or otherwise? I know the yard is small, but maybe another PDI and a small test drive could clear up more of your doubts. In the end, you should be utmost certain on the choice of your vehicle before invoicing. Hope it works out!

Quote:
That's true, Form 22 did not have any set of details with regards to RDE 2 compliance, rather just mentioning BS6. However as others have mentioned, all of the cars are bound to be RDE compliant from April 1. Apart from that, I only remember seeing an internal memo from the SA mentioning RDE 2 in excel sheet on the cars to be delivered. Mine was Feb 2023 built and Mar delivery. I wouldn't worry too much over it. PS. RDE vehicles also have newer set of rims.

Congrats on your vehicle! And happy motoring.
Old 17th April 2023, 19:07   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider007 View Post
Registrations post April 1st are compulsorily only for RDE compliant vehicles, that is the only way I guess.

I was able to verify that manufacturing was in March, but nothing more.
Yup, thats what I was also thunking out loud. But the sales guy also informed me that the registration deadline had been extended to October’23. So here you go, another twist in the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Lannister View Post
Congratulations on your vehicle and colour choice! A fellow Havana Grey owner.

That's true, Form 22 did not have any set of details with regards to RDE 2 compliance, rather just mentioning BS6. However as others have mentioned, all of the cars are bound to be RDE compliant from April 1. Apart from that, I only remember seeing an internal memo from the SA mentioning RDE 2 in excel sheet on the cars to be delivered. Mine was Feb 2023 built and Mar delivery. I wouldn't worry too much over it. PS. RDE vehicles also have newer set of rims.

Congrats on your vehicle! And happy motoring.
Thanks buddy. Took delivery of Sharp Pro CVT yesterday. Delivery wasn’t much to talk about as there was no electricity at the showroom, the car wasn’t cleaned and did not get anything other than a stale cake as a welcome gesture to MG family . But anyway’s, I was relaxed because the car was scratch less and the family loved the car. Did not get any car manual as well as the showroom guys said that it is all in electronic form in the MG apps itself. MG apps will themselves start working in 10 days as that is the time it takes from back end. So Jio savan will also work then.
Did not get any car mats installed as they were out of stock with the showroom. Any suggestions from members who have got deliveries of their cars. Please show me your mats ;-)
Old 18th April 2023, 08:23   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, thats what I was also thunking out loud. But the sales guy also informed me that the registration deadline had been extended to October’23. So here you go, another twist in the story

Thanks buddy. Took delivery of Sharp Pro CVT yesterday. Delivery wasn’t much to talk about as there was no electricity at the showroom, the car wasn’t cleaned and did not get anything other than a stale cake as a welcome gesture to MG family . But anyway’s, I was relaxed because the car was scratch less and the family loved the car. Did not get any car manual as well as the showroom guys said that it is all in electronic form in the MG apps itself. MG apps will themselves start working in 10 days as that is the time it takes from back end. So Jio savan will also work then.
Did not get any car mats installed as they were out of stock with the showroom. Any suggestions from members who have got deliveries of their cars. Please show me your mats ;-)
Congratulations! Happy miles in your new car! Our delivery experience was quite good. We were given snack boxes on reaching showroom. In 15 mins Apps were activated and in next 15 mins delivery was completed with cake cutting. Staff participated and helped click pictures, etc to make the moment memorable.

I bought my car from flagship dealership in Gurgaon. Maybe in your case Dealership is cutting costs! You must give proper feedback.

All that said, what matters is your family liked the car!
Old 18th April 2023, 21:16   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks buddy. Took delivery of Sharp Pro CVT yesterday. MG apps will themselves start working in 10 days as that is the time it takes from back end. So Jio savan will also work then.
Congratulations on your purchase. I am getting delivery tomorrow and my iSmart app and My Mg app are already working. I already saw when they got the car to showroom and how driver drove from stockyard to Dealership. I am hoping it will be quick in and quick out tomorrow.

Regarding Mats, I purposely did not get the mats installed at showroom, as i needed better ones then the official ones. Hopefully will be able to source good ones pretty soon, do let me know in case you find anything. I did see one on Amazon which does look good, but want to get them installed locally.
Old 20th April 2023, 17:10   #443

I took delivery of Hector Petrol Manual Smart Pro - Glaze Red on 31st March 2023. I have capture my buying experience in this post.

Background:
I had owned Fiat Punto Petrol for past 13+ years and I don’t have anything negative to write about it. Only downside was that it never gave me a chance to learn much on various parts of car as I never faced any issue.

I was planning on changing car after 10 year of use and following were my requirements.
  • Large 5 Seater SUV with good build quality and safety
  • Petrol engine due to my limited usage of under ~ 8000 KM/year. With limited usage in City.
  • Large boot space as we go on long trip
  • Decent Mileage
  • Budge of around 25 Lakhs

I had kind of finalized Tata Harrier in early 2020 mainly for its build quality and looks. This car had met all my requirements except for Petrol engine. There was always talk of Tata launching Harrier with petrol option. At the same time due to Covid, my travels got reduced and I decided to wait for Harrier Petrol. This was also helped by Punto as I never had any issue with the car.

But Harrier petrol never came. I had already waited for close to 3 years and decided to wait until Auto Expo 2023. On Jan 13th we decided to look for other cars when we learnt that only Harrier EV was announced.

Shortlisting:

I had considered all SUV’s and compared them against my requirements, but major contenders are listed below,
  • Toyota Hyrider: Only reason why we had even considered this car was it being a Toyota Hybrid car offering very great mileage. After sitting in backseat of car, my wife gave a verdict. My existing car had more space on back seat and boot. Also 3 members can’t sit comfortably in the backseat. Didn’t feel comfortable with build quality of the car either.
  • Jeep Compass: Jeep was following on footstep of Fiat and had only 2 offerings. We were not sure this strategy will work in India. Also we were expecting better space.
  • Tata Harrier: I was still considering going with Diesel since I liked this car. I tend to keep my vehicles for longer time and I live in Bangalore, I was worried about possibility of 10 year diesel ban. Still visited Tata Showroom on 14th Jan. No one spoke to us when we entered showroom. We went by ourself and started checking demo car which was one of the dirtiest demo car I have ever seen. No one spoke to us even after 10 minutes and when we tried to speak to someone, we were informed that they were busy. We decided to just leave and on the way out we saw new vehicle being prepared for delivery. I was shocked to see a dirty cover used on the car.
  • XUV 700 : Excellent car from all perspective – Looks, engine, build quality. By now even initial issues with car were resolved. I would have purchased it, if it had shorter waiting period. I was not willing to wait for another 8 months.
  • MG Hector: Since Fiat had shut their operation in India, I was not sure if I should go with MG and go through same issues. People talking about mileage of 4-6 KM made me think multiple times. We visited MG showroom on 14th Jan and found Facelift version of Hector. Following were the observations.
  • Showroom people were welcoming and explained features in detail
  • Family members liked the back seat comfort. 3 members can be easily accommodated in the back seat. Very good leg room with flat floor.
  • Interiors looked premium with large infotainment system
  • Biggest boot space
  • Looks was OK, not that great (Very subjective)
  • Build quality was good and car was feature packed
  • Promised to get car by 2 months
  • Facelift was not available for test drive
  • Car was bit longer than I had planned
We decided to go with MG Hector as we didn’t had any better option. Also it was a facelift version, hence we were happy that we were not buying out dated model. Since we were worried about mileage of automatic variant, we decided to go with Manual and take a chance.

Buying Experience:

We had informed SA on 14th Jan that we will be booking car on 15th Jan. SA called me on 15th Jan and I fixed the timing for booking the car. Upon reaching showroom I came to know that SA is not in showroom and he had arranged another person for completing the booking formalities. I paid 50K and informed that I need car during last week of March, since I had plans for travel abroad till end of March. While booking, delivery time was specified as 2-2.5 months. I had also requested for test drive once facelift version is available and I had requested for petrol manual car for test drive.

I got a call within a week time from SA informing me that car is available if I am ready to take it now. I denied as I was not sure if I will be in India during that time. Also considering BS6 Phase2 readiness, I requested SA to plan for delivery on 2nd April. Requested SA for test drive again and was informed that manual petrol is not available for test drive and will be notified once it is available. Since car can’t fit into my current parking space, went ahead and built an enclosed parking for the car.

There was no communication from SA for more than a month and I came to know from various forum that prices of car has increased and MG stopped delivery of car. I requested SA to share updated price list and got the same (during delivery they quoted different price from the pricelist that they had shared and I was told that SA had shared wrong pricelist). I was planning to check with SA on allotment during early March and I got a call from Team leader asking if I am willing to take delivery during the month. I was told that by early 2nd week of March, they will know about allotment of car. There was no update from SA on my regular follow up and I started seeing many people updating in team bhp that they got allotted even though their booking date was after mine.

Finally on 14th March I decided to raise a complaint with MG on allotment of vehicle. I had called MG customer care and they took a complaint. They informed that they will look into issues as it should not have take 2 months for allotment of car. I had also complained that there is no update from dealership on status of allotment. Next day morning I got a call from MG team leader stating that car is allotted and they confirmed me that car will be delivered by end of March. They also requested if they can close the complaint that I had raised and I agreed. I was asked to pay remaining amount within 2-3 days. After multiple follow up and failing to arrange test drive, finally car was sent home for test drive. Suspension was on softer side and automatic side indicators were irritating, otherwise I was happy with the driving experience.

Even though they had included 3M Ceramic coating, Essential kit and Insurance in the amount that I need to pay. I only paid for Car initially and got a confirmation. I took quote from multiple Insurance providers (Old well know names and avoided quote from Digit or Acko) with all the add-on’s ( Nill Depreciation, Invoice cover, Engine and gearbox protection, Consumable add on, loss of key, tyre and rim protector, etc ) specified by dealer and they were 30% to 40% less than quote shared by dealer. Dealer couldn’t match the quote and I went with insurance on my own.

I had a discussion with dealers accessories team and finalized below accessories for the car. I was happy the way Vicky from accessories team was trying to suggest what is actually useful and not oversell.
  • Rubber cabin and door mat
  • Mud flap
  • Bumper corner protector chrome
  • Rear entry sill plate
  • Screen guard
  • ORVM chrome protector
I was not sure about foot step and decided to get it fixed later.

On 27th March, since there was no update from dealership again, I checked with team leader on the status of car. I got a callback stating car has reached dealership and they wanted me to confirm on delivery date. Since I was expected to travel abroad on 1st week of April, I requested them for registration on 30th March and delivery on 31st March. I had also requested for PDI, which I had to do it in hurry (Found one scratch near central console after taking car home) as most of the time was spent in reaching Yelahanka stock yard and waiting for car to be made ready for PDI. Car had run 6KM while doing PDI. Car PDI checklist from team-bhp was very helpful.

Delivery:
On the delivery day, car was clean and all accessories were installed. Car had run 30+KM while taking delivery. I was given a demo of car and walkthrough of MG iSmart App for which 1 year subscription was already enabled. I had requested for AMC of 5 years and dealer got it done within a week. Car was delivered without number plate and I had to visit dealership again to get it fixed. Complete process took one hour and we took car home and got pooja done on the same day.

Overall experience was not the best, but at least I got car on time. I had to follow up for everything and dealer has a scope for improving their communication. Even MG need to have a mechanism for us to check allocation and dispatch status online.

I had already purchased 70mai 500s dual dashcam with CPL filter, which I got it installed on next day. I couldn’t drive car for next week as I had to travel abroad. I will also post my driving experience as I have covered 800+ KM recently and will also talk a lot about mileage I have received on my trip.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20230328_124444.jpg  

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20230331_165035.jpg  

Nahcus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 23:04   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Got delivery of my car yesterday, will soon start an ownership thread with all the details.

It’s a Savvy pro model, alloys, callipers and roof rails were painted before taking delivery.

Blacked out alloys give it a SUV’ish look from side.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_1631.jpeg

For the records this is how stock alloys look in chrome.

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_1290.jpeg

At Pooja

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_1649.jpeg

Love this angle

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_1629.jpeg

Lot of observations already made, will detail them out soon.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 13:10   #445

After receiving delivery, I took Hector on a long drive over the weekend. I had my apprehension over fuel efficiency of the car hence I had opted for manual over automatic.

Trip was from Bangalore to Sringeri (340km) and return. Two adults and two kids with completely filled boot during onward journey and on return I was alone in the car with boot half filled. I covered overall 715 km during this trip and it involved Bangalore traffic, 4 lane highway and 2 lane western Ghats road. AC was always on L1/L2 during the trip. There were lot of barricades and checking on highway due to assembly election. I tried to keep speed around 80 during my highway run as I was trying to get best possible millage.

I was able to cover the trip in one full tank and I had spent 53 litters of petrol (Full tank to full tank). So I got overall fuel efficiency of 13.5 km/l which is similar to what I used to get on Fiat Punto on same stretch. For such a big car, I was not expecting this mileage.

But in Bangalore city traffic, I have been receiving 9-11 km/l.

Based on my limited usage, Mileage as per MGiSmart App is 1 to 1.5 km/l higher than actual mileage calculated using full tank to full tank. Also App has a bug where it will skip some portion of trip (data for 70km stretch is missing on return journey).

Few Photos of car
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img20230419wa0002.jpg

2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20230417_170928.jpg

Mileage as per MGiSmart App: Bangalore and 4 lane highway during early morning
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230415132925827_com.saicmotor.iov.india.jpg

Mileage as per MGiSmart App: Western Ghats (Chikkamagaluru towards Sringeri)
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230415132936791_com.saicmotor.iov.india.jpg

Mileage as per MGiSmart App: Sringeri to Hasan covering Western Ghats and 2 lane highway.
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230418195713399_com.saicmotor.iov.india.jpg

Mileage as per MGiSmart App: Reaching Bangalore
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230421121344455_com.saicmotor.iov.india.jpg

Mileage as per MGiSmart App: Bangalore during peak traffic
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230421121653718_com.saicmotor.iov.india.jpg
Nahcus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:49   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
I bought my car from flagship dealership in Gurgaon. Maybe in your case Dealership is cutting costs! You must give proper feedback.
Hey bro, you have been driving in Delhi NCR for sometime now. What's the FE you are getting with your CVT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Got delivery of my car yesterday, will soon start an ownership thread with all the details.

Lot of observations already made, will detail them out soon.
Congratulations!!! Looking forward to your review. Probably the first on Team-BHP. I changed my booking color recently. So expecting a 1 month delay to May.
ankan_g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:00   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Hey bro, you have been driving in Delhi NCR for sometime now. What's the FE you are getting with your CVT?
2023 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-screenshot_20230421_205519_fuelio.jpg
First full tank gave 10.58/L - used in city 80%, with intermittent AC in month of Feb/early March. Includes 100kms of Jim Corbett trip - Highway portion improved overall avg.

Next one gave 8.53/L - Jim Corbett trip in which good highway patch gave 11.5-12/L and poor rather worst patches gave 6.5-7. Both almost 50:50. With AC.

Next 2 refueling gave 7.25/L - 100% city drive with AC, with ~10kms trip per run, avg speed of 20-27kmph. I would say this is the worst I can get from this car in peak utilisation scenario. Includes waiting inside car with engine on and AC full blown in Delhi heatwave for 30mins while wife is busy shopping!

I drive normally, as I used to drive my previous car. I'm not an enthusiast who zig zags and revs without any reason or rather accelerates just to break hard after fraction of asecond. I don't compromise by making a conscious effort of keeping a light foot.

Separately on AC controls, I just love how easy it is to manage it with voice command. Once you get used to it, even if knobs were there, I wouldn't have used it 99% of times.

Last edited by manpreetsj : 23rd April 2023 at 09:04.
manpreetsj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 21:42   #448
BHPian

My infotainment system abruptly reset when switching source and playing jio saavn. I got a message saying "Erasing" and then it went to recovery mode and restarted. I lost my android auto pairing due to this and had to relogin to jiosaavn via otp. Not sure if its due to high quality videos on my usb or the usb size or jio saavn issue. Please let me know if anyone else faced this issue.
Ironman82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 07:02   #449
BHPian

For some reason my iSMART app has stopped working. My car is currently at 4.9k kms but iSMART still shows 327kms run. Since then no records have been made by the app. Will be showing this to the Service personnel.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th April 2023 at 07:44. Reason: Typo. Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
Old 26th April 2023, 08:35   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman82 View Post
My infotainment system abruptly reset when switching source and playing jio saavn. I got a message saying "Erasing" and then it went to recovery mode and restarted. I lost my android auto pairing due to this and had to relogin to jiosaavn via otp. Not sure if its due to high quality videos on my usb or the usb size or jio saavn issue. Please let me know if anyone else faced this issue.
This happened with me as well while I was switching to Jio Saavn. Seems to be a bug in Jio Saavn. It just factory reset whole system. Earlier Jio Saavn used to have connectivity issue and now this.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks