Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 13:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda India offers anytime warranty up to 8 years / 150,000 km

Good move by Skoda. It atleast signals confidence the car maker has in its products and assures prospective customers. One of the ways Hyundai broke through the US market and changed their perception of poor quality was by giving longer warranties than anyone else. What remains to be seen is how they execute on it.

As a Superb owner, I feel its a no brainer to spend 60-70k a year for the peace of mind (esp. about the DSG) and extend the use of the car to 8 years instead of the planned disposal after 6 years. The car may also fetch a better price as a used car if its sold under warranty. The savings on replacement cost and depreciation on the new car would be massive in comparison if one can stick with these luxury cars for couple of extra years.
Neelavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:22   #32
BHPian

And on the other hand we have BMW discontinuing 6th year warranty
Old 7th January 2023, 16:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Definitely worth it. I bought one year warranty for my Polo and LUCKILY one injector and boot lock went bad. The net amount was twice the warranty amount and no dramas to deny the warranty.
Why did you still have to pay 50% of the amount, despite the extended warranty?
Old 7th January 2023, 16:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I think what is meant is the actual bill ( considering no warranty) was twice the amount paid for warranty for 1 year. So the warranty paid for the parts replaced and was well worth it.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 16:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Exactly as dipen bhpain mentioned.

I did not pay anything apart from warranty. I meant the cost of repair was double the price of the extended warranty. So I saved the expenditure and also the peace of mind for 365 days.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 17:18   #36
BHPian

Rant and sarcasm alert:

What is the point of having 8 year or even lifetime warranty when this ŠKODA family is infamous for not honouring warranty claims even within one year of ownership citing lousy reasons? We recently had a thread about one customer being tortured by VW for an obvious manufacturing defect. I am just imagining the worst case scenario where a customer buys the extended warranty and then gets the claim denied citing some excuses and then paying out of pocket.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 18:52   #37
BHPian

Got a Slavia 1.0 AT a couple of months ago - with 6 years warranty (extended included). I usually keep cars for a minimum of 10 years. Upgrading to Slavia 1.0 AT from my 1.6 TDI Skoda Rapid was a strict NO from friends and everyone insisted that I take 1.5 DSGI. But the horror stories on team-bhp about DSGI overtook the enthusiast in me. If the 8-year warranty was extended to Slavia, I would have really considered the 1.5 DSGI. But it looks like they have excluded Slavia.
kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 20:34   #38
BHPian

They should indeed! More important for old time polo and vento owners.
Old 7th January 2023, 22:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnupamRoy View Post
Sounds like good news on paper, but just wondering if it will truly be a cost saver. I got a 2019 Octavia 2.0 TDI MT, so am thankfully immune to the infamous DSG problems, which I gather is one of the biggest reasons why someone might go for this very expensive package. The car also has extended warranty until Dec 2025, so maybe I'll be in a better position to take a call nearer to that time.
For TDI MT seriously it doesn’t make any sense. My 2016 TDI MY has been super reliable and not a single issue other than the running repairs which anyway doesn’t get covered under warranty.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 01:19   #40
BHPian

Only Zac Hollis could answer if Škoda will keep up its promise on honouring any issue without any headache to the customer during the period of any of these so called warranties. The many horror stories is not helping their case at all even if this is affordable.
Old 8th January 2023, 12:27   #41
BHPian

Skoda is offering an antacid to solve the symptoms rather than prescribe a pan 40 to reduce acid production.

I've heard multiple cases where customer is at the dealer's mercy for acceptance of warranty replacement. Why would I trust Skoda with more money if this warranty will not even be honored?

Skoda must have deployed strategy consultants to solve their brand image problem. Consultants who have no knowledge of the on ground realities
Old 8th January 2023, 12:53   #42
BHPian

While the skepticism that everyone has for the the brand is well earned, I think this atleast gives choice for some of us who own a Skoda to take extended warranty. Nobody is being forced to opt for it and so can't really complain about having the option itself.

Separately, I don't know what percentage of genuine warranty claims are not being honored. We hear cases where there are issues but no one would bother reporting a routine warranty claim which goes smoothly. Ideally the problematic cases should be zero but unless they form more than a small percentage, it doesn't negate the value of having an extended warranty especially as cars are getting more and more complex.
Neelavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 02:22   #43
BHPian

Had a word with the sales team about this warranty and they have absolutely no clue about this!
Did anyone buy this warranty so far?
Old 7th February 2023, 16:32   #44
BHPian

If you own a DQ200 gear box vehicle then warranty is a must in case you want to keep the vehicle for long.

I am suffering from last 30 days from a mechatronic failure on my 2019 Octavia 1.8TSI with mileage of 60k. The part is not in stock with Skoda with no clear timeline for delivery. Moreover after departure of Zac Hollis, skoda seems to be back to its old ways with absolutely ZERO response from their customer care or management including their customer care head Majed, Petr or Piyush.

With this experience I am sure I am never buying a Skoda again though before this episode I was strongly considering buying another Skoda. Due to such experiences you realise why Toyota commands whatever premium they command.
the pony is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 23:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Had a word with the sales team about this warranty and they have absolutely no clue about this!
Did anyone buy this warranty so far?
I have bought this warranty for my october 2016 octavia 1.8tsi. My 2 year extended warranty had expired in October 2022. I paid for this anytime warranty on 30th Jan 2023. But, there is a cooling period of 30 days for out of warranty vehicles, post which it gets activated. My warranty is ought to get activated on 28th February 2023. I am supposed to get the warranty certificate then.
Till now my car has run more than 55000km without any gearbox failure. But as DQ200 is prone to failures, I have bought the extended warranty for peace of mind.
axe_deo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks