Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 13:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda India offers anytime warranty up to 8 years / 150,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Just curious, but does that mean I can buy a used Octavia 1.8 TSI from say 2019, and have a peace of mind warranty till 2026? Would that insulate me from those horrible DQ200 failure fears?
The document in OP's post states that the warranty is transferable to the 2nd owner. Standard & extended warranty also can be transferred likewise. Of course, this is all subject to the car being maintained as per schedule at a Skoda service center plus all the other regular *T&C.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 14:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

First, let Skoda and VAG start honoring the existing legal warranty and not "Gaslight" the owner when an issue crops up during warranty with common responses like "this is normal" or this is common with all vehicles" or passing on the blame to the fuel quality.

But good move nonetheless. For a European car with high parts replacement cost and known and proven failures (DPF, EPC, DSG) after a few years, 8 years warranty "may" give some peace of mind. But provided VAG stops trivializing and brushing aside issues reported during warranty.

Last edited by hrman : 5th January 2023 at 14:10.
hrman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:11   #18
BHPian

The warranty covers parts that are defective. Barring the DSG, what other parts will turn out to be defective that will not cause any issue till the 7th year?
Old 5th January 2023, 17:12   #19
BANNED

Seems very expensive. For a friend who owns Rapid Rider turbo manual, I'll recommend keeping aside 14k a year in FD. Because of the mechanical simplicity of the Rider MT, I think it'll turn out to be cheaper to get it fixed from outside when needed using these funds.

The cost for Rapid diesel warranty is even more atrocious considering that it's even more reliable than the Rapid turbo petrol. 14k should be the cost of all-inclusive service expenses per year for Rapid turbo.

For DCT owners, it's a different story. I can't comment on that because I haven't recommended DCT to anyone in my circle.
MaheshY1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Even though the extended car warranty may bring some sense of calm to buyers, it's also beneficial for manufacturers as a tactic to boost their revenue. These extended warranties come with certain requirements, like regular servicing at authorized service centers, and you can't take your car to third party service centers.
Caffeinated_Owl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
First, let Skoda and VAG start honoring the existing legal warranty and not "Gaslight" the owner when an issue crops up during warranty with common responses like "this is normal" or this is common with all vehicles" or passing on the blame to the fuel quality.

But good move nonetheless. For a European car with high parts replacement cost and known and proven failures (DPF, EPC, DSG) after a few years, 8 years warranty "may" give some peace of mind. But provided VAG stops trivializing and brushing aside issues reported during warranty.
Yeah extended warranty is just a way to make some quick money if they refuse to actually fix or replace anything when it breaks.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 23:00   #22
BHPian

While it appears to be a good move in bumping up customer confidence, I feel it is too expensive especially, since, for 7th/8th yr warranty claims, there will be very close scrutiny looking for flimsy excuses to deny claims. It is probably worthwhile only for those with DQ200 gearboxes.

Skoda has got double benefits with this move. Boost customer confidence and make some money as well. Simply clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
OT: Any other Skoda owners who had similar experience with the A/C vent tab clips?
I have this problem with my Octavia. The tab clip on one of the front central AC vents just fell off one day. I hadn't even touched it. I think the upper and lower portions of the clip are held together by some glue which becomes dry in our summer heat and gradually becomes ineffective (I could be wrong). I am yet to visit the service center as it is an hour's drive for me and I don't want to go all the way just for this. I will wait till my 4th service in March.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 5th January 2023 at 23:09.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 07:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Great news! I wonder if they will roll-out a similar option for VW cars in India.
Similar product for VW is available since 2018!!! They call it Add-on Warranty.
anujsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:24   #24

Sounds like good news on paper, but just wondering if it will truly be a cost saver. I got a 2019 Octavia 2.0 TDI MT, so am thankfully immune to the infamous DSG problems, which I gather is one of the biggest reasons why someone might go for this very expensive package. The car also has extended warranty until Dec 2025, so maybe I'll be in a better position to take a call nearer to that time.
Old 6th January 2023, 10:27   #25
BHPian

Good job by Skoda India, kudos to them for offering this. Now most skoda customers will opt for this without even thinking much because of "reliability" aspect.

But I think its really funny that, how perception plays bigger role in reliability.
1) Toyota prices their cars exorbitantly high because they've earned "reliable" badge. --> Company wins here.
2) Skoda sells extended warranty because they've earned "less reliable" badge. Now people buy this warranty out of the fear. --> Again company wins.

At this point all manufacturers are playing mind games to improve revenue, be it this one or "price protection for first 25k customers only" by Mahindra or "putting two elephants on car" to prove fake safety by Hyundai etc. I get fact that these tactics are innovative in sales domain but i feel these are morally wrong.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post

The cost for Rapid diesel warranty is even more atrocious considering that it's even more reliable than the Rapid turbo petrol. 14k should be the cost of all-inclusive service expenses per year for Rapid turbo.
Skoda does have an amazing service package where you pay around 18.5k for 2 years of service (for people who don't have any amc packages). I've been using it since last 3 years and just renewed it recently. 9.2k approx for a service which happens only once a year/15k kilometres is great in my opinion for cars like these.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujsd View Post
Similar product for VW is available since 2018!!! They call it Add-on Warranty.
Add on warranty is up to 7th year if I am not wrong; they do not have cover for 7th and 8th year
Old 7th January 2023, 12:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Seems to be just like a marketing tactic. There are so many loopholes in the warranty mentioned by Skoda, that any dealer can easily get out off! "Simply Clever".

Not to mention there are numerous instances as we have seen that VAG group declines replacement even for vehicles that are in their standard warranty!
Old 7th January 2023, 12:16   #29

Another potential issue ,is that when these Skoda' with extended warranty show up in the used car market, an additional selling point [to sweeten the deal ] will be this warranty.

However, the price of the used car will also shoot up, and the seller can charge a premium , because of the 'extended warranty'.
Old 7th January 2023, 12:57   #30
BHPian

Definitely worth it. I bought one year warranty for my Polo and LUCKILY one injector and boot lock went bad. The net amount was twice the warranty amount and no dramas to deny the warranty.

Also whati have heard VW dealers have better margin in serving warranty than replacement on customers money. The only headache for service centres is paper work.

Last edited by steadfast : 7th January 2023 at 13:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks