Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 12:19   #286
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

Great move by M&M. Pricing too is spot on and I believe they should extend it to first 50,000 units to really shake things up! The RWD Thar makes good sense if you are:
  • Looking for a second or third car.
  • In search for a car with oodles of street presence and fan following.
  • Looking for something different than the many pseudo SUV's flooding our market.
  • Single and don't really need 4 doors.
  • A couple without kids or with a single kid and can manage with the quirks of the Thar.
  • Just want a car to show-off!
We must remember off roading is more about the ability of the driver, the vehicle is simply a tool. Obviously the 4x4 can easily get you out of sticky situations but 90% of the people who buy these cars will not do hard-core off roading. For everything else the RWD will be more than sufficient. I firmly believe this should result in 800-1000 units p.m. which is a great number in itself for an "impractical jeep". GTO might have to change his mind, time will tell.
John316_WRC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 13:01   #287
BHPian

That's just not the case. Many here have a pdf docket sent to them by Mahindra. Get in touch with the dealer and put him in the picture. It could be deliberate on the part of the dealer. They are exceptionally good at pulling a fast one on you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th January 2023 at 15:10. Reason: Mahi —> Mahindra. No unusual short forms please. Thank you.
Old 11th January 2023, 13:17   #288
BHPian

From the perspective of someone who just bought Thar in Jan '23. This thar 4*2 would have been my choice, if it came with 2.2 ltr engine. Nobody is buying 4*4 to use it all the time. Majority are going to use 4wd 10% or even less.
Why did I not buy this, inspite of checking this out in the stockyard?
1) 4*4 fun factor.
2) 2.2 ltr engine, no replacement for displacement.
ganeshk4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 16:53   #289
BANNED

This pricing by Mahindra made sure that Maruti have to launch Jimny at very competitive price. When Mahindra is giving diesel motor at 9.99 and 10.99, Maruti has to price it somewhere around 7.99 or 8.49 starting price as it is petrol. Hope Maruti will launch it for attractive pricing to grab the market.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 17:09   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
Just managed to book the LX Diesel MT, Should be an apt replacement for my Scross.
Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited by kryogesh : 11th January 2023 at 17:20.
Old 11th January 2023, 19:01   #291

I booked LX D 2WD on the launch date itself. Makes lot of sense at this price point and vehicle capability. In fact in new avatar the driving dynamics are better than 4x4 variant
Old 11th January 2023, 19:11   #292
BHPian

[quote=337699gsd;5472922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post

The delivery date is just an estimate and looks like the dealership guys have mentioned the dates themselves in the booking docket, unlike Scorpio N booking where delivery date was confirmed by Mahindra itself.

I say this because there’s no mention of date on my docket. Please see the below screenshot. This might be a regular practice, but lets see.
My dealer did even know that the date was mentioned in the docket. He said the docket comes directly from Mahindra
Old 11th January 2023, 19:45   #293
BHPian

Took a short test-drive of the RWD Thar today at the nearby dealership. I haven’t ridden the 4wd Thar so can’t compare the differences between the 2wd and 4wd versions. Coming from a Polo and M340i, both of which are very stiff cars and have very harsh ride quality especially the M340i, the Thar seems very different and have a very balanced ride quality. I feel the suspension is comparable or even softer than the Polo. Even steering is very light, almost Hyundai-like compared to Polo which makes it easier to drive but you need hands on the steering all the time since it’s a hydraulic unit and all bumps and undulations are transferred to the steering from the front wheels. Power is more than adequate for the city use and was able to easily drive it in the city with a few gearshifts. Haven’t tested it on the highway but feel it will struggle to climb past 100 Km/h on open roads.

P.S. All my observations are of the 2wd Thar . Even the SA mentioned that the 4wd Thar is more rugged and they have tuned the suspension slightly in this version. Maybe the 4wd Thar have a harsh ride quality and a heavy steering.

Booked a Diesel LX on the launch day. Was told to expect delivery within 50 days. Will update how it pans out.
SolidSnake is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 19:52   #294
BHPian

Guys, any idea about the hot selling colour for RWD Thar? I like the newly launched Bronze over the all the existing colors.
Old 11th January 2023, 20:07   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
P.S. All my observations are of the 2wd Thar.
Thanks. How was the clutch travel and hardness compared to Polo?
Old 11th January 2023, 20:39   #296

Checked out the Thar 2WD Diesel MT in person yesterday along with a couple of friends, and was lucky to get a 10 KM test drive (mix of a bad and patchy road in the city and about 7 kms of highway). Here're some observations as a Honda City iVtec (2010) owner, starting with the negatives.

1) Ergonomics: This is a jeep that you "climb-into" rather than get-into. Needs a grab handle near the door for easier ingress, a feature miss in my opinion. Seating comfort is OK (in standstill, but bad during drives for front passengers and worst for the rear ones). Gear shifts sometimes result into your hand brushing the front dashboard. Lack of armrest is an irritant, but Mahindra now has it as an optional accessory (this should have been provided as standard given the utility and low-cost).

2) 2nd-row access: This is pretty cumbersome, for most people even in their 30s and beyond. The space available to access the 2nd row is quite limited, so much so that most buyers will end-up using this as a solo drive or duo passenger car. Don't know if a better engineering design would've been possible given just the two-doors and limited wheelbase, but this is a major ownership negative in my opinion.

3) 2nd-row seating comfort too is non-existent on long drives, or even anything more than an hour or two. If i had no kids and were to buy this car, I would have probably gotten rid of the 2nd-row seat and used it with the extra boot space as a couple tourer

4) Ride comfort: At city speeds the ride quality is quite bumpy. I felt there is not much difference in the way this drives compared to the 4*4: It retains the same DNA: Everything in the form of bumps, craters, speed breakers, potholes felt inside the cabin and probably sway the driver in his seat a bit, but a large do-not-care attitude externally with the huge 18" AT 255 profile tyres. Out on the highways, things improve a bit with straight-line stability being acceptable given this is a Jeep, but I was still not confident of taking this anything north of about 80 Kmph.

5) Lack of footrest beside the clutch is another miss from Mahindra.

6) Engine noise on startup: Audible and a brief bit of vibrate/shake on ignition, but settles down into a low thrum thereafter. Acceleration upto 2k-2.5k not perceptible inside the cabin. A plus in my opinion.

7) I was pleasantly surprised with the soft clutch, even though it had a slightly longer travel. This should make it an easy drive in the city.

8) Good NVH - Most of outside noise dampened out inside the cabin, and not much road/wind noise upto 70-80 Kmph (did not take the car beyond this speed during my drive).

I was looking to replace my ageing honda city (2010) with the Thar (given my wife drives an i20 auto we recently bought and consider this good enough for in-city drives), but have decided not to go for it as I agree with common observation by most members here that this ain't primary-car material, but a 2nd or probably even a 3rd car good for just those infrequent excursions off the tarmac to your farmhouse or weekend homes.
Abby28 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 20:42   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This pricing by Mahindra made sure that Maruti have to launch Jimny at very competitive price. When Mahindra is giving diesel motor at 9.99 and 10.99, Maruti has to price it somewhere around 7.99 or 8.49 starting price as it is petrol. Hope Maruti will launch it for attractive pricing to grab the market.
Sir, the Mahindra launched Scorpio N at very competitive price, with many engine and transmission options, even 4x4 with AT. And hope you remember how Maruti Suzuki have priced the Grand Vitara?

And despite of the atrocious pricing of Grand Vitara, the sales figures are higher than Scorpio N.

Agreed, that these two are not of same category. But they are almost in same overlapping price range. And I consider Scorpio N is a much better VFM product than Grand Vitara for the same price range; except the unchallenged "Bullet proof reliability" of MSIL products.

Mahindra Thar, irrespective of 4x4 or RWD avatar, are brilliant products; except they don't recognise athletic body or wide "tashrif" while designing the seats and the driver's footwell.

Question to Mahindra: are all your designers or product testers, descision makers lean and fit? Why can't you design little more spacious seats, and footwell?
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 21:23   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Thanks. How was the clutch travel and hardness compared to Polo?
My polo being 1.0 Tsi stage1 remapped and driven for 45k kms is not as light as a new one. That doesn’t mean it’s clutch heavy . Compared to a stock one , my polo’s clutch is mildly hard. So, the transition to clutch of Thar wasn’t that difficult. Its almost similar to my remapped polo. Compared to stock polo, it maybe relatively 10 percent hard. Not much of a difference so as to make it bothersome.
SolidSnake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 21:39   #299

What could be the expected price once the initial 10k bookings are over? The value it offers is excellent as of now
Old 12th January 2023, 01:17   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by summos View Post
What could be the expected price once the initial 10k bookings are over? The value it offers is excellent as of now
According to my sales guy, we can expect an increase of 40k in on-road prices.
NA-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks