Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 03:02   #1
BHPian

How to renew CNG Plate?

I am struggling to get correct information and step by step process for my CNG Plate renewal.

Car : WagonR CNG 2012 (Still 5 years for Re-registration)
CNG : Company Fitted
Odo : 38,000 (I don't drive it much)

Searching on google is giving me varied information and i am bit confused as i am not able to get correct information being not in pune currently.

If somebody has done CNG plate renewal recently in pune, please do help out

1. What is exact process?
2. Where to get it done ? (Agency/Approved Vendor)
3. How long does it take?
4. Tentative break up of expenses?
5. Do i need to go to RTO in person?
6. What all is tested verified?
7. What documents will be needed other than car papers (PUC/Insurance)
8. Any tips to avoid rejection/repeat trips?
9. Are there any penalties if do it after expiry?

Thanks a lot.

PS: Admins, I could not find relevant info hence started new thread. Feel free to delete/merge with similar thread. Thanks
top_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 20:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How to renew CNG Plate?

I have got my CNG plate renewed (in Mumbai though) but it was done by my CNG guy who did the fitting. Will your Maruti service centre will not do the same for you?

In my case the CNG tank was removed and it was sent for hydrotesting. I got the car back without the CNG tank and once the testing etc was done I was called to get the CNG tank fitted again. If I recall correctly I had to go a guy who was sitting close to the RTO office for a receipt so that I can fill the CNG since the new plate was not available. Later on the CNG guy called me to get the new plate fitted once it arrived 10-15 days later.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 23:12   #3
BHPian

Re: How to renew CNG Plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
In my case the CNG tank was removed and it was sent for hydrotesting. I got the car back without the CNG tank and once the testing etc was done I was called to get the CNG tank fitted again. If I recall correctly I had to go a guy who was sitting close to the RTO office for a receipt so that I can fill the CNG since the new plate was not available. Later on the CNG guy called me to get the new plate fitted once it arrived 10-15 days later.
Thank you for your revert. Ideally, process should be same for Pune and mumbai. Did you do renewal after expiry of existing plate? If yes, was there any penalty?

Actually, i was not aware that CNG plate expiry is different than car registration expiry. Unfortunately, mine is already expired few months back. However, i am able to fill CNG but keep getting reminder from CNG pump guy.

I was expecting some detailed information out here considering CNG cars market share has increased and quite few members might be same boat like me or about to go through renewal.

I shall wait for more feedback and will call up authorized service station if they can assist considering i bought WagonR CNG version or even local vendor can assist.
Old 23rd December 2022, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Thank you for your revert. Ideally, process should be same for Pune and mumbai. Did you do renewal after expiry of existing plate? If yes, was there any penalty?
Ideally there should be no penalty. I think there is some RTO rule that one cannot fill CNG without a valid plate. That should only be the problem. I think you should check with Maruti guys if they will do all the plate renewal for you along with the RTO process. It should not be a big problem. A reputed outside garage will probably also do the same for you. It is a simple process and you don't have do any of the heavy lifting yourself except pay the charges for the testing etc. You could check with different garages/service centre for prices.

Here is my post (CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)) related to the same. It seems I did not had to go to the RTO at all. This was 5 years ago.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 01:34   #5
BHPian

CNG cylinder hydrotesting is a pretty standard and straight forward procedure, done every 3 years for all CNG cars, cost is around 1,500Rs. You don't have to visit Maruti or any other OEM, they would not do this, also there is no need of reaching out to RTO.

The procedure is to find closest hydrotesting center near you, a simple search on Google Maps will give you multiple results and you can reach out to anyone of them. In Delhi you can check on Transport Department's website if they have a valid license to do the hydrotesting, they also have to get their license renewed periodically.

Once you land up on one of those centers, they will take out you cylinder, take it away in an isolated enclosed area and do the pressure testing. They sometimes even paint the cylinder if is too old or rusty. The procedure usually takes around 2 hours depending also upon number of cylinders tested during same time. After the test they will bring back your cylinder, connect it back and give you a new plate, they will remove old plate and bolt the new one. They will also give you a certificate.

There is no penalty but CNG stations can deny filling gas if your date has passed, cops if fully aware might or might not challan you for not having valid hydrotest certificate.

OT: In old days, when most of the CNG filling was done through bonnet, while attaching new CNG plate, the inattentive mechanic would rip out the VIN/registration plate instead of the old CNG plate and put new CNG plate in place of it. I have personally seen various of these lying around in these centers.
yogiii is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Ideally there should be no penalty. I think there is some RTO rule that one cannot fill CNG without a valid plate. That should only be the problem. I think you should check with Maruti guys if they will do all the plate renewal for you along with the RTO process. It should not be a big problem. A reputed outside garage will probably also do the same for you.

Here is my post (CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)) related to the same. It seems I did not had to go to the RTO at all. This was 5 years ago.
Thank you for revert and further clarity. Seems my keyword should be "Hydrotesting" of CNG cylinder. Any clue on ball park expense breakup for each testing in Mumbai?
Old 24th December 2022, 15:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Thank you for revert and further clarity. Seems my keyword should be "Hydrotesting" of CNG cylinder. Any clue on ball park expense breakup for each testing in Mumbai?
I don't remember what I paid. Refer to Yogii's post it might be around 1500 Rs. Check the below link for Pune.

https://mngl.in/cng/cylinders-testing-stations
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
CNG cylinder hydrotesting is a pretty standard and straight forward procedure, done every 3 years for all CNG cars, cost is around 1,500Rs. You don't have to visit Maruti or any other OEM, they would not do this, also there is no need of reaching out to RTO.

Thank you for all details. I have pulled out my car manual, it seems CNG renewal is must every 5 years. I am not sure if it is 3 years now.
Attached Images

top_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 23:24   #9
BHPian

Further information related to pune CNG vehicle renewal.

1. There is no need to go to RTO after cylinder hydrotest.
2. Today onwards, plate renewal will get reflected in vahan website automatically after plate renewal.
Old 12th October 2023, 15:27   #10
BHPian

I got my CNG renewal done sometime back. Updating process for benefit of other members. This is applicable for Maharashtra.

1. CNG renewal is valid for 3 years and process needs to be repeated every 3 years going forth.
2. You need to go to pre approved providers. There is no standard rate for this service. I got quote ranging from 1800-3000 from different vendors.
3. I have opted for nearest vendor with pre appointment and it took aprx. 3 hours for entire process.
4. They will remove cylinder and check for cylinder and valve health etc.
5. It is advisable to go with empty cylinder.
6. With cylinder removed, you can still drive car so it took opportunity to get my car cleaned (Especially boot) as it is hard to access once cylinder is installed.
7. They will issue new CNG plate (immediately - Non need to visit RTO) with 3 year validity. Old plate stays.

Hope this helps.

PS: Once process is done, CNG fault light appears on dashboard, but dont worry as it will go off as soon as you fill CNG. CNG cylinder validity is 20 years from date of first installation.
Attached Thumbnails
How to renew CNG Plate?-3.jpg  

How to renew CNG Plate?-2.jpg  

How to renew CNG Plate?-1.jpg  

Last edited by top_gear : 12th October 2023 at 15:32.
top_gear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

The cylinder safety test validity is usually 3 years for most states. Testing has to be carried out by PESO (Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization) approved facilities only. A new nameplate is installed and usually I prefer the name plate to be next to filling point of CNG in the car. In case of Maruti factory fitted CNG, I preferred to have it near fuel filler cap, above it to be precise. So that its visible when CNG filling is done. The CNG stations can clearly state not to fill in CNG if the testing validity of CNG is expired. I faced this on highway trip in my earlier Wagon R CNG. One has to take care that after testing you are not getting any other CNG cylinder but the one that was taken out from your car. The cylinder has a serial number for this I guess ? Apart from this testing, the CNG filters also need to be replaced in case of factory fitted Maruti CNG cars.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks