Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 11:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen Maruti Swift & Dzire to get strong hybrid option

Next gen Maruti Swift, Dzire to get 35kpl+ strong hybrid option.

Name:  20221111111033_Swift.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  85.7 KB

Quote:
Known by the internal codename YED, the new compact cars will get an all-new 1.2-litre petrol engine (codenamed Z12E), which, unlike the current K12C engine, will be a three-cylinder unit and not a four-cylinder powerplant.

It will be mated to a version of Toyota’s strong hybrid tech that we’ve already seen in the Grand Vitara and Urban Cruiser Hyryder, both of which are currently being heavily localised in India for an even lower cost price.
- The strong hybrid system will be reserved for the higher-spec models.

- New Maruti Swift and Dzire petrol, CNG versions to continue with the K12C engine (and its respective gearboxes) to continue in lower variants.

- Scheduled to launch in the first quarter of 2024.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th November 2022 at 11:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 14:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Next-gen Maruti Swift & Dzire to get strong hybrid option

finally! This is Maruti's best answer to other manufacturers who have diesels (and some of which are struggling with BS6 problems). EVs going mainstream is a pipedream in India; even in the USA with all that infrastructure, they account for a small percentage of total car sales.

Strong hybrids are today's solution to efficiency, low running costs & cutting pollution levels. Bring it on, Maruti! If a Camry Hybrid can boast of 15 kmpl in Mumbai city, I see no reason why the Swift shouldn't manage 25+ kmpl in the real-world.

Hybrids are designed for exactly our stop-and-go traffic conditions. With time, these hybrids will also get better batteries which give you more km in "full EV" mode.
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Those figures can put most mainstream two wheelers to shame . I hope they incorporate provisions for the hybrid battery right from the design stage. Sticking the battery in the boot akin to Grand Vitara can be a major letdown.

I'm really curious about the powertrain combination. If the engine is an in house design by Suzuki, is it going to be mated to Toyota's e-cvt transmission or will we get the same setup of AMT as seen in European S-Cross? I hope it's the former.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 11th November 2022 at 14:53.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If they can offer this with a 1-2L premium then it will be an insane option for those who would primarily use it for city commute with a occasional highway drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Those figures can put most mainstream two wheelers to shame . I hope they incorporate provisions for the hybrid battery right from the design stage. Sticking the battery in the boot akin to Grand Vitara can be a major letdown.
Regarding transmission, there will be no question of using an AMT since packaging it isnt easy with the motor-generator combination. Hence that would be ruled out in favour of the e-CVT.

On the other hand, if they decide to eliminate the spare wheel then this would do a better job in retaining boot space to a great extent. But with the spare wheel and fuel tank, it will be impossible to package a hybrid battery into a hatchback.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:56   #5
BHPian

This is a wonderful news..
But i am afraid of how its going to be priced.

City Hybrid was priced almost 40% more than its petrol sibling, making it not worthy to buy a City hybrid. one can just buy the regular Petrol car and use the difference for fuel and still end up with some cash after 4/5 years. [For those who drive less]

I think, we shouldn't celebrate now, until we see its price list. A swift Hybrid costing 11-12L and a regular one costing 7.5 Lakh. What value would it add to a prospective buyer?
Mustang_Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Regarding transmission, there will be no question of using an AMT since packaging it isnt easy with the motor-generator combination. Hence that would be ruled out in favour of the e-CVT.
You will be surprised to know that Suzuki already sells Full Hybrid AMT (AGS) combo in many European markets and this is what I dread the most. I have a strong feeling that to keep costs low, Maruti may introduce its AMT-Strong Hybrid combo here as well!

There are many things in life I have made peace with, but an AMT, certainly not

Suzuki full hybrid with AMT tech: https://www.globalsuzuki.com/suzuki_...engineers.html
AMG1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
You will be surprised to know that Suzuki already sells Full Hybrid AMT (AGS) combo in many European markets and this is what I dread the most. I have a strong feeling that to keep costs low, Maruti may introduce its AMT-Strong Hybrid combo here as well!
This will come with the proven Toyota HYBRID System (THS) and hence AGS can be ruled out. Just like the Grand Vitara/HYryder the strong Hybrid variants will co-exist with the normal variants which might have the AGS system.

What you are referring to are the cars with Suzuki Hybrid system sold in many EU countries.

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th November 2022 at 16:57.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 17:16   #8
BHPian

This is great news and is sure to be one of the best sellers if they would price it right.This could cover the sales they lost for missing a diesel engine in their portfolio.
This would make great sense for someone with a high daily running and looking for replacing their older diesel swift/dzire especially in Delhi/NCR.
Old 12th November 2022, 09:24   #9
BHPian

This will be a great city car and will certain nudge some folks who are cutting on the EV fence because of the range anxiety issues and lack of charging infrastructure availability in apartment complexes. They just need to price it properly. 2lac premium over the petrol model is something I would definitely put my money on.
Old 12th November 2022, 10:03   #10
BHPian

This is great news but the main drawback would be the pricing for this segment. We have to see how many takers are there as the pricing may be upwards of 10L.
Old 12th November 2022, 12:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a great answer for the urban commuter of today who also needs to make occasional longer highway trips.

As a country, I don't think we have the infrastructure nor the discipline to go fully electric. Say I own a 9ure electric vehicle and want to drive to my hometown for the long weekend which is 500 km away. Would the average young man in his late 20s or early 30s, plan the stopover points on the map, reserve charging stations, make sure to get to the charging spots on time and would the charging stations work the vast majority of the time even with grid failures, inclement weather and equipment breakdown? What happens on the night when he or she gets back home late and is tired and forgets to charge the car, not remembering the next morning they have that all important presentation? What if there is a power failure that lasts most part of the night and the car is not charged sufficiently in the morning, just as they want to make that weekend dash to the beach which is a 2 hour drive away?

I think hybrids are an elegant and effective solution to reduce fuel consumption while still resilient enough to take on almost every daily need and situation in India. It is a real pity the government does not recognise the macro potential to save fuel imports. If the government can give meaningful GST and road tax subsidies to switch 50% of the sales of regular petrol and diesel passenger vehicles to hybrid, we can save 25% reduction of net new fuel consumption due to these vehicles, as the hybrids are 100% more fuel efficient for city commutes! This is very much possible and I see a mass exodus of diesel car buyers going to hybrid once the word mouth gets around about the amazing fuel economy gains. Most diesel buyers go to diesels only for fuel economy.

Instead the government is brain washed by impractical ideology, pointing out that hybrids also consumer fuel and so not worthy of subsidy! What they do not realise is that pure EVs require batteries that are 50-75 times higher in capacity than those in the strong hybrids. A Toyota Hyryder has a 0.76 KWH battery while an EV like the XUV400 has a 40 KWH battery, which is more than 50 times bigger than that of the Hyryder!

India does not any of these batteries. A big push to pure EVs without incentivising hybrids, will increase requirements of large batteries and overall import dependency dramatically! Ultimately we are going to be at China's door, begging for millions of 50KWH batteries, whereas the smaller 0.75 KWH batteries can be sourced much more easily. Also the environmental damage that is caused in mining for rare earths to make large batteries is going to nullify the green gains due to fuel savings. I hope our governments consider these aspects while making policy and rethink subsidies for strong hybrids.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th November 2022 at 12:47.
84.monsoon is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 16:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

MSIL's commitment for frugality on the fuel front and for cleaner air are praiseworthy as they release press reports saying all about it for the next generation Swift DZire and Swift .

At the same time, there is no news regarding their R&D working overtime to devise a safer DZire. The score on the safety front needs to be raised to NCAP safety for the present DZire's rating from TWO STARS as of now to at least FOUR if not FIVE STARS.

Among its present competitors, the Tata Tigor and Honda Amaze have FOUR STAR safety ratings, while both the present Swift DZire and Hyundai Aura score TWO STARS which is quite dismal.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th November 2022 at 16:06.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 16:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Next gen Maruti Swift, Dzire to get 35kpl+ strong hybrid option.
Would be a great option for people even if it comes at a 1.5 lakh premium since the savings are a lot tbh over regular 1.2L from rivals. Insane stuff Maruti!!

That said, I told my dad (currently drives a 2nd gen Dzire and probably the age group with most Maruti purchases!) about the 35kmpl figure and his next words were- "Fir toh aur bhi zyada halki (unsafe) hogi vo" ("Would be even lighter and less safer than the current Swift!")
So yeah, while the figure 35kmpl sounds great, I'm hoping Maruti ditches these paper-like sheets and chassis and brings back the sense of safety that the previous (especially the 1st gen) Swifts and Dzires exuded.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 12th November 2022 at 16:55.
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 23:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

There are many things in life I have made peace with, but an AMT, certainly not

Suzuki full hybrid with AMT tech: https://www.globalsuzuki.com/suzuki_...engineers.html
The present Celerion AMT when I TDed earlier this year did a good job. Very less knocking about and smoother gear shifts.

How much is the weight gain due to extra hybrid tech? I have heard from a colleague that the current Dzire struggles to pull when packed with 4-5 people. Will that be a problem?

Last edited by anandmv : 12th November 2022 at 23:08. Reason: Proper quoting
Old 13th November 2022, 07:35   #15
BHPian

This was long due from Maruti. I remember the “range extender” swift concept showcased by them almost a decade ago.It promised a FE of above 40 KMPL. Good to see more and more hybrids coming into the country. Smaller cars with strong hybrid tech would be tailor made for the traffic conditions of Indian cities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks