Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 07:29   #16
BHPian

Re: October 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Interesting figures. Maruti Suzuki (MS) continues to laugh all the way to the bank without any true competition to its throne. Guess an electric, reasonably priced small city commuter will be able to challenge Maruti’s dominance with the Alto. If MS electrifies the Alto, it’s game over for most aspirants.
The XUV700 question in some of the earlier posts has a simple and clear answer; capacity limitation and supply chain restrictions. The Harrier+Safari combo seems to be pulling slightly less but roughly similar numbers to the XUV700. With the Innova turning hybrid, would it have enough charm to wrestle away the numbers from TAMA (TATA & Mahindra)?
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 09:53   #17
BHPian

Two surprising stats -

For all the hoopla surrounding SUVs, the Sedan/Hatchback combo is still very much in demand. This is actually good because at least there is hope that brands continue to launch and maintain decent sedans/hatchbacks and don't get lost in the maddening rush for launching all sorts of SUVs.

Secondly, Japanese brands still command a healthy 50% of the market despite Tata/Mahindra capturing so much market and despite the looming threat of the Koreans. It would be safe to assume that Toyota & Suzuki have the largest numbers in that 50% but one can only hope that Nissan & Honda rediscover themselves and launch more of their models.
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great numbers for Tata and Maruti. Looking at the GV and Hyryder numbers wonder why is there such a vast difference in the dispatches. Is it possible to get break up of hybrid vs regular ice?
Old 11th November 2022, 10:17   #19
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The "ALTO" keeps on ruling - but is that the F8D Alto? Or the new AltoK10 makes a significant contribution to that number? Why I ask - I am yet to see a single new Alto K10 on the streets of Pune.
In Chennai, I have not seen any new Altos. I've heard that the taxi industry has begun purchasing Altos. I have no idea how accurate this is.
Old 11th November 2022, 10:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Looks like Hyryder/Grand Vitara has started with decent numbers (about 10K together) but I am unable to see who is taking the hit. Creta and Seltos are down a little but still are selling good. So are the sales for Ertiga/XL6 etc.
I feel the impact is distributed across the segments and manufacturers. Most of the competitors/similarly priced cars had a slight decline. Kushaq (lowest figures in last 6 months) and Virtus (50% down MOM, and second lowest figures in last two months)are down a lot though.
Old 11th November 2022, 10:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Great numbers for Tata and Maruti. Looking at the GV and Hyryder numbers wonder why is there such a vast difference in the dispatches. Is it possible to get break up of hybrid vs regular ice?
During such cases of contract manufacturing, which is fairly common in Japan, the OEM which actually does the design always gets the lion's share of Volumes. I guess the agreement between Suzuki and Toyota was done in similar lines for volume share.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Citroen India's performance is living proof of what an ill thought-out feature setting strategy can do to a very well engineered vehicle. During the peak festive month of October, sales have dipped. Throw in a lackadaisical approach to marketing, sparse dealer network and a potential recipe for sales disaster is at the doorstep.
The antithesis of this is Maruti. The Grand Vitara. With average powertrains but kitted up to its gills, a countrywide after sales network, the vehicle which is priced more than double,(higher variants is even more), the average price of a Citroen C3 is outselling the C3 7 times over.

I am not saying Citroen can overtake Maruti. It is not possible to do that to a company which has a 40 year headstart and whose brand is now a part of every Indian's DNA. But at least, Stellantis India can emulate - even to an extent? If you can't beat them, join them.
Maybe the Gauls have some even better ideas. Whatever it is they better buck up.
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:34   #23
BHPian

The numbers seem a bit skewed by the supply side challenges. No reason for Creta , Seltos, Nexon, XUV, Scorpio etc to show lower numbers when they have such a huge waiting list. Also such a huge difference between Carens and Alcazar continues to remain puzzling. Same cars. Jeep, Skoda, Volvo continue to remain laggards despite lavish praise from so called experts, trying to feverishly promote their oh so great drivability and looks. It will take a quarter, may be April when we will know the real demand and supply balance.
Old 11th November 2022, 11:47   #24
BHPian

It is amazing to see Honda City doing 3K + consistently. Even after VAG siblings put together are doing about 3K.

If Honda does not bring in models from its global portfolio to leverage its brand equity in India, only then it can survive, else its best for all the Japanese companies in India to form a consortium and start selling rebadged versions of each other.

Tata is seemingly a leader in Mass EV.
Bsreecharan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]XUV700 - Where are the numbers? The huge waiting duration, huge demand. YoY sales of Mahindra have made a really marginal improvement, especially glaring given the sales numbers and waiting durations of these cars that have been advertised so far. Only Bolero & a distant Scorpio are making an entry in the top sellers.[/list]
Its been doing 5.5K on an average consistently since 6 months at least. Thats more than even Harrier + Safari put together. I remember reading 6K as production capacity of XUV on the forum and this number looks like its already operating at optimum capacity.

I am actually surprised looking at Scorpio numbers. If its combined sales of classic and N then it seems low.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Its been doing 5.5K on an average consistently since 6 months at least. Thats more than even Harrier + Safari put together.
Harrier+Safari anyway aren't a benchmark of sales. The point is - ~6K per month, and no position in the top sellers, isn't exactly resonating well with the halo that has been created around the 7OO (which of course, is a good car, no doubt). The Creta/Seltos - which have a significant price overlap with the 7OO are nearing double the sales figures individually. Far over double, combined - in comparison with the 7OO. Add the Carens+Alcazar in the mix & the number is further skewed.

The point I'm mainly interested in is - YoY sales in total of Mahindra, are not at all showing the expected jump. This is a bit of a surprise for me given the anticipation that was built.

And I for one - am bored of the chip shortage reason now. No matter true or not.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th November 2022 at 11:58.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:13   #27
BHPian

Bolero is shown as a MUV. Is it really a MUV? Isn't it a commecial vehicle? Thats the usage I seem to have seen mostly on the roads.

In which case, shouldn't the Tata Xenon/Yodha/whatever also be included?

Mahindra's numbers are bolstered to a large part by Bolero, for several years now. Take Bolero out, and M&M sales figures take a big dent. Its a wonder why no one else has been able to come out with a worthy competetor to Bolero to take away some of that market share from Mahindra.
Old 11th November 2022, 12:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point I'm mainly interested in is - YoY sales in total of Mahindra, are not at all showing the expected jump. This is a bit of a surprise for me given the anticipation that was built.
Agree!! Not sure if they are limited by production capacity or the number published about bookings is nothing more than part of the vanity metrics.

Comparing Harrier-Safari number was about comparing same segment cars (Price-Size-Image context). Lets hope both TAMO and M&M will dominate the market with good SAFE cars.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:48   #29
Kln
BHPian

Toyota has nearly 7k+ (even more were it not for the discontinuation of the Urban Cruiser) sales from Maruti clones.

Glanza is selling nearly as much as XL6, or Thar, and more than the Magnite/Kiger twins.

Just an incredible feat by MSIL. Say what you will, MSIL makes cars that just sell.
Old 11th November 2022, 12:55   #30

Interesting observation - Taigun had been trailing the Kushaq for months on end, but a TV ad campaign is already showing the results of marketing - Taigun did ~2.5K in Oct. Despite Hyryder and Grand Vitara launches.

An often ignored thing is the marketing might of the brands selling huge numbers. MS, Hyundai, Kia.

MG, VAG, Citroen etc. need to put disproportionate money into marketing for the average joe to consider them seriously.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks