Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do large hatchbacks have potential in India?
Yes, definitely! 194 48.02%
Absolutely not! 210 51.98%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2022, 17:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do large hatchbacks have potential in India?

Hatchback's as a design is very efficient than sedans, there is a lot of flexibility to carry stuff due to that in same space. Sub 4m hatchbacks like i20 have moved the game very much ahead in terms of design and features.

So would you buy an i30 over an i20, probably no. Most people would prefer a Verna instead of an i30. Car buying tastes are absolutely different in india than in europe where such large hatchbacks must be normal.

Hence IMO they dont have any potential in India.
Old 14th November 2022, 23:24   #77
SLK
Senior - BHPian

It will work only with some type of families, where a large hatch can be a 2nd or 3rd car. And this doesn't work for manufacturers.

Cars are status. It doesn't matter how uninformed the society is, but its a fact that people see a sedan above a hatch.

Polo GT commands less social status than a Swift Dezire. Both are 4 meter, but one's a sedan. I had to often tell people frowning over me driving a Polo, that it costs 10L!

Today, any SUVs is just considered more premium than a Sedan, unless you are driving a premium Sedan!

So large hatches, won't work where cars are affordable to most only due to bank finance and hence significant portion of income and a status symbol.
Old 15th November 2022, 13:53   #78
BHPian

Voted No.

Personally, i would prefer a comfortable but sporty sedan for long highway drives. Also, market nowadays prefers pseudo-SUVs, SUVs and MPVs compared to hatchbacks. Premium hatches are doing fine, but, for anything bigger people prefer a high-ground clearance vehicle...hence, in my opinion, large hatches may find it difficult to sell.

Also, if they are introduced, the price point will be higher/on-par with sedans/CSUVs, which again makes it difficult to sell.

However, in the luxury segment, there may be takers for large sporty hatches..
Old 15th November 2022, 14:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Really? Look again maybe
I am with you on this. I am personally of the opinion that there is nothing better than a high-performance estate. It satisfies multiple criteria of motoring, transport and domestic chores.

Mercs, BMW's and even the Skoda Estates are wonderful examples.
Old 15th November 2022, 14:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Indian market/people are value driven & didn't have problems with larger hatchbacks as such since they could fit the family with holiday luggage, viz why a few were launched.

IMO they didn't take off because they weren't/aren't very much suited for long distance touring over poor road conditions. This led to pseudo-SUVs & crossovers like Hyundai Creta taking off and selling well. Renault Duster was built on the same platform as the Logan, and sold well for it's magic carpet ride quality over poor roads.

Today there are too many other options available in the market for even Renault to launch the next gen Duster and expect it to sell at a scale that makes it desirably profitable.

Never say never though!
Old 15th November 2022, 16:09   #81
BHPian

Voted Yes.

The reason being that maybe, just maybe someone in one of auto companies will see this thread with a 48% Yes vote and reintroduce one.

I thoroughly enjoyed driving the fusion+ and was close to picking up my friends car when he emigrated to the UK.

Maybe we will get a modern Jazz with the 1.5 hybrid !

Even today the Indigo Vista is so much more spacious than other bigger cars. Would love to see that make a comeback in the all new Tata JTP version. Space, power, handling and much better overall quality.

The one that i've not driven, but would like to at some point is the older 1.6 Scross (looks more like a hatch) - a modern version of that would be interesting to consider as well.
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 17:37   #82
BHPian

Yes.

Take for example the latest generation of i20. Dimension wise (width, saloon capacity, wheelbase) is is comparable to Verna, Ciaz, City, Virtus, etc. Those who do not want to spend on the boot can still have a fairly comfortable cabin.

Additionally, in my eyes, "SUVs" such as Sonets, Nexons, XUV300s, and arguably Cretas, Brezzas, Taiguns are nothing but hatches on steroids.
Old 16th November 2022, 13:56   #83
BHPian

Voted yes.

It's my personal opinion that the current generation CSUVs are just large hatches with a better ground clearance. Apart from gizmos, most of them have practically same space as B2 segment hatches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks