Team-BHP - Tata Harrier & Safari get new features; prices hiked
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata Harrier & Safari get new features; prices hiked (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/258957-tata-harrier-safari-get-new-features-prices-hiked.html)

Tata Motors has introduced new features on the Harrier and Safari. The carmaker has also increased the prices of the SUVs by up to Rs 31,000.

Tata Harrier & Safari get new features; prices hiked-harriertropicalmistmobile.jpg

Tata is now offering USB Type-C ports in the front row as standard across all variants of the Harrier. The same is available in the second row of the XZ trim and all variants above it.

Enhanced ESP, which includes safety features like panic brake alert, after-impact braking and driver doze-off alert are available from the XZS variant.

Tata Harrier & Safari get new features; prices hiked-2021tatasafari01-1.jpg

The XZ+ variants gain features like a wireless charger, usage analytics, monthly health report, drive analytics, auto and manual DTC check, an electronic parking brake and disc brakes all around.

The Safari Gold Edition now comes with new iRA features, while the XZ+ variants get comfort head restraints as standard.

Tata has announced an average price hike of 0.9% across its products effective from November 7, 2022. As a result, prices of the Harrier have increased by Rs 10,000 - Rs 31,000, while the Safari prices have gone up by Rs 9,000 - Rs 20,000.

Link to Team-BHP News

I just realized Tata Safari has 29 Variants to choose from !!!! I haven't seen those many variants apart from Tata Harrier with 30 Variants to choose.
Why would any manufacturer provide so many variants, and how will their assembly line run with high efficiency?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harishpr (Post 5435970)
I just realized Tata Safari has 29 Variants to choose from !!!! I haven't seen those many variants apart from Tata Harrier with 30 Variants to choose.
Why would any manufacturer provide so many variants, and how will their assembly line run with high efficiency?

The assembly lines at TATA are far from efficient. And as we have noticed with all the issues cropping up regularly in the harrier and safari, their assembly lines are a mess. Here the attitude is 'chalta hai'.:disappointed

Sorry for the rant.

Been waiting for this update ever since the Jet edition launched. Will now be booking the Tata Safari really soon.

So they have standardised the features from the special editions across the board. Good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 5435906)
usage analytics, monthly health report, drive analytics, auto and manual DTC check

Erm... Doesn't the Harrier already have this? Even in BS4 version?

Are these even features to be included?

Any word on 360 degree camera, ADAS features in the new Tata Safari ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvlkiran (Post 5436359)
Any word on 360 degree camera, ADAS features in the new Tata Safari?

360-degree camera is not being offered as standard on any variant of Harrier/Safari as of now.

Quote:

TATA has been always like that if you look at something like a TATA Sumo. It had umpteen visible and invisible revisions over its lifetime.

Too little, too slow and behind the curve. This is just cost optimisation with SKU standardisation. When they make the next leap move with a refresh, they will need all the features in the refresh at much lower input and assembly costs. So get the parts early. These variants need to be closer to each other when the refresh comes, so they can stagger the refresh variants better. Likely Q1 next year.
But, the big grouse is that when the refresh arrives the market would have moved ahead of them. Today their biggest USP (apart from a small fan base) is early delivery and relative lack of alternatives.

Quote:

I guess looking at the numerous issues with the Tata vehicles (specifically the Harrier and Safari), I guess we can confidently say the these twins assembly lines certainly don't run with any iota of efficiency.

What makes me wonder is the same Tata which does a stellar job in the lower segments and the ev segment, messes up majorly in the flagship area. Usually if it happens, it is the other way around, isn't it?

Quote:

You should check out the Nexon in that case! :uncontrol
It has north of 50 variants if my memory serves me right, and not to forget the random ones they keep adding and removing (and then the features too, not just variants).
The reason I can see behind so many variants is that for a marginal increase (depending on one's budget) in price, you get a decent amount of additional features. This could also work the other way round though, by adding confusion to the buyer's mind.
At the same time, I feel bad for the sales guys at Tata showrooms who have to deal with the constant changes, be it variants, features, or prices. :Frustrati

This is actually a tad bit surprising. Tata had discontinued the 4x4 in STROME and removed the concept of 4x4 in the current safari since they would not want to do a sizeable investment for a ‘niche’ category of people.
I am unable to recollect, but post facto, they did meet with Autocar or PowerDrift folks - definitely one of the two, and said they will evaluate getting an optional 4WD for the Safari by end of 2022 based on Sales figures and market demands. This seems to have totally died over the months. Some of their upcoming EVs are rumoured to have a 4WD, I wonder why there is no love for the Safari

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07CR (Post 5436521)
I guess looking at the numerous issues with the Tata vehicles (specifically the Harrier and Safari), I guess we can confidently say the these twins assembly lines certainly don't run with any iota of efficiency.

Taking monthly numbers of the Safari and Harrier as around 4500 units, the consistency would take a hit. Even if the plant works for 25 days a month, then thats an output of around 180 cars a day. Assuming that its 20 variants which are the key sellers, it is around 9 units per variant per day, which is less of a mass production and more like picking out feature parts from the bin and going to nine cars and assembling that part. Like I had said elsewhere, the supply chain arrangements of Tata is either the best in the world or is a complete mess. And we are leaving the choice of colours which would add up to the combinations. Instead they should just work on a built-to-order basis as many global brands do. That would make production planning easier.

On the other hand, maybe they launch variants after figuring out what the assembly line has come up with. If they have forgotten to add a part, then some features are removed and vice versa. If the vendor has delivered a batch of different colour parts, then there comes a special limited edition rl:

Why at all are new features being added. Isn't the Harrier due for a face-lift? Auto expo is around the corner!