Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2007, 16:13   #31
BHPian

Nearly all new cars in Europe/America are now fitted with this system (also known as immobiliser) nowadays.

Yes, cars equipped with immobiliers are often difficult to steal without the key.

So, thieves now demand keys from owners at gunpoint

I read somewhere, a company [BMW or Merc] devised a technology where the car will start only if it senses owner's finger print on a screen on dash.

However, thieves can cut owner's finger and press it there. So, what is the way out? Well, the system was intelligent enough to understand whether the finger was actually attached to the body (it could monitor the blood flow over the finger).

In developed countries, majority or cars are now stolen using actual keys (robbed from owners) because of the immobiliser system.

Quote:
there is no such thing as a theft-proof system
That's the whole point!
Old 16th September 2007, 17:37   #32
BHPian

is icat one type of auto cop and can i fit it in my honda city .i am searching for a good auto security system so please do advice me and if i can fit icats , where is bombay can i get it and at wat cost
Old 16th September 2007, 17:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Rightly said as a deterrent system, I was reading the statistics of australia after it was implemented there and it showed that car theft had definitely shown a downward trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, there is no such thing as a theft-proof system. But word on the street is that the ICATS is extremely effective as a theft-deterrent system. Considering that Marutis (most models) sell like hotcakes in the used car segment, this has been a most welcome move from Maruti.
Old 16th September 2007, 18:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Pritesh, if you would only read post #s 1 and 4 on this thread, you wouldn't ........
Old 17th September 2007, 10:45   #35
BANNED

I have heard the iCATS to very useful and (till now) I haven't heard any bad mouthing !
Old 17th September 2007, 10:57   #36
BHPian

With more instances of Car Jacking on the rise, I-cats is a deterrent but nothing compared with a Gun pointed at you could be Safety.

Most cases in NCR Delhi are on the rise, specially at late and early hours of the day.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:13   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hi all!
Was wondering how effective this iCATS (intelligent car anti-theft system) thing is.
Maruti has been fitting it to all it's new cars as of around mid-April this year.
I have a Swift Purchased in May/June. How do I know if my car came with
this or not? I vauguely remember being charged some extra money for an immobilizer.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:54   #38
BHPian

When you switch on the ignition, I believe before or after that you can see a lock symbol near your taco.

Have a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a Swift Purchased in May/June. How do I know if my car came with
this or not? I vauguely remember being charged some extra money for an immobilizer.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:16   #39
BHPian

I am sure it must be an effective detterent system. Apparently, maruti insurance gives some discount also on the premium amt, in case this system is fitted in the vehicle.
Old 17th September 2007, 18:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Carboy, as lambu has said, there is an illuminated padlock symbol visible in your meters cluster when you turn on the ignition (but before you crank your engine to life).
I even got a duplicate key made on one of those key-cutting mini lathes. The duplicate key opens the locks on my car, even turns on the ignition but the car will not start. And the lock symbol flashes slowly on and off.
With the genuine key the lock symbol lights up steady at ignition on position (car not yet started).
Old 17th September 2007, 18:59   #41
BHPian

Similar thread exists already http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...per-proof.html
Old 19th September 2007, 14:42   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I am sure it must be an effective detterent system. Apparently, maruti insurance gives some discount also on the premium amt, in case this system is fitted in the vehicle.
I got only about Rs.260 as discount although Rs.500 is the norm on the insurance paper !
Old 19th September 2007, 14:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Aha! so you did a stress testing too

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I even got a duplicate key made on one of those key-cutting mini lathes. The duplicate key opens the locks on my car, even turns on the ignition but the car will not start. And the lock symbol flashes slowly on and off.
With the genuine key the lock symbol lights up steady at ignition on position (car not yet started).
Old 19th September 2007, 15:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Aha! so you did a stress testing too
Very much so! I even tried 'proximity': ie. keep the original close to the ECU, keep the original's metal touching the metal near the keyhole etc.. all the while watching whether the lock symbol stopped flashing.
FAILURE.
Old 6th November 2007, 10:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Can a 2005 Zen be retrofitted with the I-Cats system?? I need to install it considering that my car does not have it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks