Re: Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open

Is the Exter engine E20 compliant?
Old 11th July 2023, 20:43   #257
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Is the Exter engine E20 compliant?
Yes, it is. Hyundai announced it during the launch.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 21:21   #258
BHPian

Just like we have legal terminologies for vehicles (such as M & N category), there should be some rule on body style. Exter, Punch are clearly not SUVs. I owned a WRV SUV earlier, but I personally never called it an SUV. I always used to call it as elevated Hatchback.
I feel very sad when people call S-Presso as SUV.
It is high time this should come from government only as all the companies are misleading the customers.
I am sure this must be happening in other countries, but here I am talking only about India.
AutoDowntowner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 00:28   #259
BHPian

Not trying to troll, but geunine question: Maruti WagonR 1.2L vs Exter S AMT. What do we get for the price difference?
Old 12th July 2023, 00:36   #260
BHPian

Hyundai had missed the opportunity of re introducing the 1.0L turbo petrol engine with the 100ps state of tune under it's bonnet. That engine would have made it a compelling package IMHO.
Old 12th July 2023, 00:38   #261
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Not trying to troll, but geunine question: Maruti WagonR 1.2L vs Exter S AMT. What do we get for the price difference?
What do we get when we get ourselves the Nios Magna AMT over the WagonR ZXI for the price difference? When we compare the Exter to the WagonR, add the things like SUV styling, fresher looks, better looks(subjective) and an 8 inch touchscreen with AA and CP as the major additional factors in the favour of the Exter over the Nios Magna and we get our answer.

Last edited by AYP : 12th July 2023 at 00:39.
Old 12th July 2023, 01:16   #262
BHPian

I wonder how this compares against the Ignis. is this going to eat away Ignis sales? i know that Ignis is far cheaper than Exter but Exter base model also has so many features.
Old 12th July 2023, 08:09   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Don't understand why we are spending so much money for a testing and certification facility when GNCAP is doing it and Government could have just made a GNCAP test mandatory.
There is a huge lobby from "some" automakers to not implement mandatory NCAP. They even objected to mandatory airbag so this will be a far cry. Bharat NCAP will be a watered down version of EuroNCAP and it is not even mandatory yet. People need to switch their priorites from gimmick options to safety, Only then automakers will learn.
Old 12th July 2023, 08:44   #264
BHPian

At least on TeamBHP, could we NOT call these SUVs!?
This sentiment extends to the Creta like cars as well. Please bring back the word 'crossover' as the mainstream lingo. All of Europe and perhaps even America calls them crossovers, so why fool ourselves here?
lemedico is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 09:02   #265
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgo View Post
I wonder how this compares against the Ignis. is this going to eat away Ignis sales? i know that Ignis is far cheaper than Exter but Exter base model also has so many features.
I believe the Ignis also comes to about 10-11 lacs on road for the top spec with AMT. They all seem to be kind of pitted against one another. The Punch, the Ignis, the C3, Exter etc.

One can’t really blame the manufacturers for using the SUV word and thus promote greater appeal for their products. In India people resonate with SUV more than Crossover per se.

And the more we drive about in our cities and in the country side, considering the operating conditions overall, the more we realize how necessary it is for us to have proper high ground clearance and some level of ‘wading’ capability.
Old 12th July 2023, 09:15   #266
BHPian

With the pricing - I'm not wanting to talk if it is VFM, cheap or expensive. This car (or any other small hatch/micro suv) isn't going to be the primary car for many buyers. This isn't going to be a comfy highway cruiser too albeit short highway runs.

Quick Price comparison of some small car AT options (ex-Showroom)
Hyundai Exter AMT: INR 7.9L
Tiago EV XE / XT: INR 8.7L / 10L
MG Comet (base): INR 8.5L

I wonder why would someone who looks for a second car would choose a small ICE car that almost matches the price tag some of the EV options. Running/Maintenance costs are far lesser for an EV. The extra 1 or 2 lakhs spent on an EV could be recovered in a year or so.

Last edited by dvr08 : 12th July 2023 at 09:15. Reason: Corrections
dvr08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 09:16   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
This sentiment extends to the Creta like cars as well. Please bring back the word 'crossover' as the mainstream lingo. All of Europe and perhaps even America calls them crossovers, so why fool ourselves here?
I am not trying to rebut your or anyone else's point on the forum whatsoever, but this is what Wikipedia says-

Quote:
In Europe, the term SUV is generally used for road-oriented vehicles, described as "J-segment" by the European Commission.[23][24][25] "Four-by-four" or the brand name of the vehicle is typically used for off-road-oriented vehicles. Similarly, in New Zealand, vehicles designed for off-road use are typically referred to as "four-wheel drives" instead of SUVs.
Quote:
There is no universally accepted definition of the sport utility vehicle.[10] Dictionaries, automotive experts, and journalists use varying wordings and defining characteristics, in addition to regional variations of usage by both the media and the general public. The auto industry also has not settled on one definition of the SUV.[10]
Terming a vehicle as an SUV/crossover/truck is a matter of personal choice. However, the automotive industry in respective regions chooses a specific terminology for a particular kind of a vehicle. Whether we like it or not, it will generally be in usage. The term simply refers to the body style by and large, not about its capabilities in particular.

Last edited by Emvi : 12th July 2023 at 09:32. Reason: Line added.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 11:08   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Totally with you on this. I think SUV is the most exploited word in the Indian car market. Just because Indians have a soft corner for SUVs, everything is getting sold as an SUV in India these days - Mini SUV, Micro SUV, Ultra Micro SUV what not Waiting for Maruti to launch Alto SUV after the great Espresso SUV.
Old 12th July 2023, 12:15   #269
BHPian

If anyone has been able to check out the car in person or take a test drive please share your experiences here. I am eagerly waiting for actual reviews. I am mainly looking at its highway capabilities and comfort over long distances.

Also, the threads for every car which is called an SUV in India have a couple of dozens of posts saying how disgusting it is that they are being called an SUV. After all, it's just a marketing term and please - get over it. And trust me on this - the S-Presso can go to places where no other FWD car can go.
darkfantasy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 12:26   #270
BHPian

I was searching for Exter in the Fiery Red color. Found this video:

Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks