Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 12:01   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open

At this price and with these many features, is hyundai even breaking even per car?
Old 11th July 2023, 12:05   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Fronx is a bigger vehicle than Exter why should it have tough days? Also, it has a turbo petrol engine though a bit higher priced.

Punch will still continue to do high numbers for the most important safety aspect, its 5 Star GNCAP rated and also as good mileage.

Hyundais petrols are not known to have good mileage.

C3 is a bigger vehicle and sells for its own strengths. 500-2k units is what they will keep doing.
Fronx- It will definitely dent the sales, turbo is not selling at all, less than 13% overall turbo model sale.
Punch- Lacks fit and finish & hyundai network.
C3- Has hardly crosses 1000 units, again it misses out on feature list, fit and finish.

We will get to know in few months whether Exter makes a dent or not.
Old 11th July 2023, 12:19   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
A year down the line will yield correct data considering waiting periods but yes the initial euphoria will be in Exter favour.
sagsaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 12:24   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochikaran View Post
At this price and with these many features, is hyundai even breaking even per car?
Why not? The economies of scale in play here are massive between Hyundai as well as Kia. The base platform is old and shared between more than a few cars. The engine is a Hyundai Kia staple and is more than a decade old, as is the transmission. Equipment is shared between a horde of cars as well. Think of this as Maruti making yet another small car on the Heartech platform and powering it with the 1.2 K series petrol engine, complete with the AMT and CNG suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Fronx- It will definitely dent the sales, turbo is not selling at all, less than 13% overall turbo model sale.
Punch- Lacks fit and finish & hyundai network.
C3- Has hardly crosses 1000 units, again it misses out on feature list, fit and finish.

Fronx has been a slow seller. Don’t recall seeing one over the last 15 days. Honestly, I’ve seen more C3s than Fronxs, and that’s saying something.

While Punch does have its shortcomings, nobody can dispute the fact that it is a mighty fine car. Sorted underpinnings, a robust suspension, good driving dynamics, a decently equipped cabin, a proven and fuel efficient engine, and 5 star safety rating. It sells despite having only one engine option, which is nothing great but is still at par or better than Hyundai’s 1.2 Kappa in every way except for refinement. And that horrible AMT. It sells on honest merit, not gimmicks.

While it may dent Punch sales for a few months, I will be surprised if Exter sustains its momentum for long. And let’s not forget that Punch has updates ready in waiting - the DCA automatic, that superbly implemented CNG option and even the upcoming EV variant. Things that Hyundai doesn’t have an answer to.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th July 2023 at 12:26.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 13:17   #245
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
Exter's front fascia looks fresh and well designed but rear portion reminds me of Skoda Yeti i.e. flat and chopped off type.
I was thinking of this comparison only. Good to see images collaged. It is definitely a looker car and has everything that a modern car needs. What I may miss is just the diesel engine in it.
Old 11th July 2023, 13:42   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
I've been waiting a long time for a "Proper AT" hatch under 10 lacs, and was keenly observing the C3. The Citroen think-tank probably understands that the ship has sailed, they missed out on a golden opportunity. The C3 is a superior product, such a shame Citroen hasn't delivered on potential.

Same here. Have been waiting for the C3 automatic but turning impatient now. Sad to see Citroen goofing up at every step.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th July 2023 at 13:49. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
shivrajvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 14:08   #247
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The Exter has 6 airbags standard across trims. So it is possible for a car selling at 5.99L to have the enhanced safety equipment that should now be the bare minimum standard.
It costs more making a structurally safe & stable car in volumes than plonking in airbags to gloss over a weak structure - it is not going to help beyond a point.

While it is good addition, I have my doubts on the structure as none of the made-in-India Hyundai cars have the same structural rigidities of their overseas counterparts barring the CKDs / CBMs like the Kona, Elantra, Tuscon, Ioniq 5.

Let’s wait for the GNCAP tests for Indian made Exter
SR7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 14:18   #248

Thick wheel claddings look odd on exter (specially the rear wheels) or is it just me,
With this pricing it will tick all boxes for many, hopefully exter has not compromised on structural strength to compensate for extra features. Little more color option would be even better.
Old 11th July 2023, 14:31   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
Let’s wait for the GNCAP tests for Indian made Exter
I think it might happen sooner than you think, in fact (don't quote me) there are some very specific signs hinting Hyundai have kept the GNCAP in mind while developing the Verna and Exter.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 15:27   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why not? The economies of scale in play here are massive between Hyundai as ….While it may dent Punch sales for a few months, I will be surprised if Exter sustains its momentum for long. And let’s not forget that Punch has updates ready in waiting - the DCA automatic, that superbly implemented CNG option and even the upcoming EV variant. Things that Hyundai doesn’t have an answer to.
Understand that Punch CNG is going to be launched by TATA Motors sometime next month. Further as mentioned above down the line Punch EV would be also in the pipeline and I too do not foresee any competition to Punch… !
Old 11th July 2023, 17:26   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I think it might happen sooner than you think, in fact (don't quote me) there are some very specific signs hinting Hyundai have kept the GNCAP in mind while developing the Verna and Exter.
And the rumor is, they are willing to volunteer one for GNCAP testing. Either Hyundai have to volunteer or GNCAP should cough up enough funds to procure one, if neither of them happens, but these kind of statements are passed by them on the internet, then it is nothing but creating false sense of safety to quash away the safety concerns and sell the product, I hope this is not that.

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-hyundai-exter.jpg

Source
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 17:56   #252
BHPian

I own 2 Tata cars, Harrier and Tigor EV. I recently test drove the Altroz DCA and the Punch AMT, and came back impressed with the Altroz DCA, but highly unimpressed with the Punch on several fronts. The seating on the Punch wasn't comfortable even when compared to my Tigor. The engine was noisy and the AMT gear box jerky (not as jerky as Maruti Suzuki Celerio), but still jerky. I really don't see the hype behind Punch. Apart from the good looks, there's really nothing to it.

I have never owned a Hyundai, but several people I know own Hyundai cars from i10 to Creta and none of them give cohoots about the safety part, hence I am certain that Hyundai customers don't really have that at the top of their minds while making their purchase. Hence, I doubt if Hyundai needs to send misleading signals to the market on safety to make a sale. I am definite that they are certain to grab a high rating because they have complied with the latest requirements on the passive safety parameters like 6 airbags, etc.
Jattitude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:27   #253
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...un-garg-428718

"Safety has been a key focus area with the Exter, and with all the structural changes that we have done along with offering six airbags as standard, and ESC right from the base trim, we will have a good NCAP rating," Tarun Garg, chief operating officer at HMIL, told our sister publication Autocar Professional.

This comes from the top management, must have some weightage to the statement, Hyundai must also be aware of bad publicity it gets for their poor safety safety.

A good safety rating means they are aiming for 4 or 5 stars.
Hyundai India should get Exter tested at the earliest to take a big chunk of sales from Punch. I don't think Exter lacks anything apart from a proven safety rating.
tiagoatrix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
And the rumor is, they are willing to volunteer one for GNCAP testing.
Well, Hyundai have had ~3 years to improve since the i10 and Seltos' GNCAP tests and have faced a lot of bad-mouthing ever since. Not taking the opportunity to improve would be suicidal, especially for a manufacturer known for keeping up with market trends. By 2022 it was already apparent that they had improved their relations with GNCAP, it only makes sense that the next step is actually developing and producing cars that perform well.

The interesting thing is, the Exter's rivals are in a worse shape for both GNCAP's new protocols and Bharat NCAP. The Punch lacks ESC entirely and cannot score more than 2 stars, and the Kiger and Magnite don't have curtain airbags, so would be capped at 3. All of them also have static two-point belts in the rear seat which would hurt their COP score. The Exter has a three-point automatic belt.

It is however irresponsible of Hyundai to make a claim like "we will have a good NCAP rating" without specifying that this is only a target presumably based on internal testing. Even if they have already had the Exter tested by GNCAP and are awaiting publication, they would be flouting an embargo. GNCAP are big on confidentiality.

Linking the complete Autocar article for reference:

"Exter ‘will have a good NCAP rating’: Hyundai COO Tarun Garg" - Autocar India, July 11 2023

Quote:
Hyundai Motor India (HMIL) is confident of its newly launched Exter micro-SUV achieving either a 4- or 5-star safety rating in voluntary crash testing. The Exter is the sole product in the entry-SUV segment to come with six airbags as standard and an Electronic Stability Control system (offered as optional right from the base trim) – features that Hyundai says will enable it to ace the Global New Car Assessment Programme crash tests.
Quote:
Hyundai is also considering getting the Exter crash tested under the upcoming Bharat New Car Assessment Programme crash regime, which is likely to be introduced in the country from October 1, 2023.
Quote:
"Safety has been a key focus area with the Exter, and with all the structural changes that we have done along with offering six airbags as standard, and ESC right from the base trim, we will have a good NCAP rating," Tarun Garg, chief operating officer at HMIL, told our sister publication Autocar Professional.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 18:50   #255
BHPian

I just did a Quick Comparison of the Hyundai 1.2L Petrol MT/AMT/IVT/CNG variants of the Nios, Aura, Exter, i20, and Venue Car prices.
  1. All the prices mentioned here are ex-showroom prices.
  2. Venue comes only on MT trims in this comparison.In Aura AMT, there is only one variant, SX+.
  3. As per Hyundai's Strategy, there is no discount on SUV cars. So, No discount on Exter and Venue cars.
  4. Nios and Aura will get an attractive 20K to 40K discount on on-road prices.
  5. After discounts, Nios and Aura are good value for money.
  6. In most cases, Exter prices are close to Aura prices. In Some Cases, Exter's price is close to some variants of the i20. Exter May cut the Aura sales for sure, as well as the i20 sales.
  7. There is a big price difference between Exter and Venue 1.2L MT. Exter also cut the Venue sales as well.
  8. There is no sense in comparing IVT or CVT to the AMT Variant prices. In I20, There is no AMT.
Hyundai Entry Level 1.2L MT:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-entry-mt.png

Hyundai Mid Level 1.2L MT:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-mid-mt.png

Hyundai Top Level 1.2L MT:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-top-mt.png

Hyundai Entry Level 1.2L AMT/IVT:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-entry-amt_ivt.png

Hyundai Mid Level 1.2L AMT:

Name:  mid AMT_IVT.PNG
Views: 368
Size:  113.2 KB