Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 09:55   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
AFAIK since Jimny has a 1.5L engine, it technically doesn't fall under the Sub 4m tax regime (read as GST).

So, while the length of Jimny is under 4m, the GST tax is not [it attracts GST 28% + Cess 15% = Total 43% [making it fall in the Creta / Seltos tax bracket ]

Therefore, Hyundai isn't wrong in stating 1st Sub 4m car with 6 airbags as standard
Jimny is still a sub 4m SUV irrespective of the tax bracket. So Hyundai is wrong in stating 1st Sub 4m car with 6 airbags as standard, unless they mention the finer details in fine print like the engine capacity etc. (When Carens launched, they had mentioned in the fine print that the claims they are making are for the the segment of cars below 4.5m length and below 1500cc Engine capacity.)
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:12   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But then, AMT seems to have got the reputation overall of being inferior to CVT and TC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
This looks interesting except for the AMT, any comments from existing Hyundai AMT owners please.
Hyundai AMTs are very very good due to the usage of electronic actuators especially when mated with a decently powerful engine like the 1.2L in their stable. (the one in the new Santro was a wee bit jerky due to the 1.0L engine and it's lower power delivery)

I am saying this in comparison with the AMT in the Swift/Baleno. You can decide whether it will meet your refinement requirements by taking a TD of the i10 Nios AMT. As a combo for usage inside the city, it will fit the bill.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2023, 11:14   #138

Quote:
After Ioniq, this is another clean design from Hyundai. And what a great set of features. I am on the hunt for a pre owned Ecosport AT for quite soemtime without success. This looks interesting except for the AMT, any comments from existing Hyundai AMT owners please.
I've been driving Aura AMT since March 2020, driven 30k kms. I've found the AMT to be pretty refined compared to Tatas and Marutis. I suggest you take test drives of i10 and Aura to get a feel of the transmission before Exter is available for TDs.
Old 14th June 2023, 11:28   #139
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Hyundai AMTs are very very good due to the usage of electronic actuators especially when mated with a decently powerful engine like the 1.2L in their stable.
I am saying this in comparison with the AMT in the Swift/Baleno. You can decide whether it will meet your refinement requirements by taking a TD of the i10 Nios AMT. As a combo for usage inside the city, it will fit the bill.

Cheers
My Dad’s 4 years old first gen Glanza has that same Baleno 1.2 engine and comes with a CVT. Its nice but the CVT keeps whining when on highways under acceleration because it is always hunting for the right gear.

I am very attracted by the Exter’s stylish SUV’ esque looks and features like that built in dash cam and all the rest of it plus its higher ground clearance.

Thinking that if the Exter is as plush and comfy as the Glanza it can become a worthy replacement. Provided of course my Dad likes it. And of course if the Hyundai AMT is refined. And if it is gives us a happier feel on highways.

We find the Glanza extremely comfortable and a very competent city commuter car. It does perform pretty decently on highways too - Ive driven it Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore and with judicious use of sports mode, L mode and throttle inputs, one can eke out decent behaviour from it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:10   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My Dad’s 4 years old first gen Glanza has that same Baleno 1.2 engine and comes with a CVT. Its nice but the CVT keeps whining when on highways under acceleration because it is always hunting for the right gear.

I am very attracted by the Exter’s stylish SUV’ esque looks and features like that built in dash cam and all the rest of it plus its higher ground clearance.

Thinking that if the Exter is as plush and comfy as the Glanza it can become a worthy replacement. Provided of course my Dad likes it. And of course if the Hyundai AMT is refined. And if it is gives us a happier feel on highways.

We are going OT here - but I rejected the older Baleno with the CVT (for my parents) due to the rubberband effect and CVT whine ( the Honda activa kind of feeling while trying to push the car to the 70-100kmph range) and picked up the Swift. This was much more punchier due to the AMT and with 'managable' head nod in the initial 1-2 gears. But a few years back I came very close to picking up the G i10Nios AMT for the missus. This was very satisfying even for the enthusiast in me.

Now we just need to wait for the Exter pricing. Hope the build quality is better from a safety perspective.

Cheers
Old 14th June 2023, 14:29   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigupta000 View Post
I've been driving Aura AMT since March 2020, driven 30k kms. I've found the AMT to be pretty refined compared to Tatas and Marutis. I suggest you take test drives of i10 and Aura to get a feel of the transmission before Exter is available for TDs.
Thanks for the feedback. I will test drive i10 for the moment to get a feel of the box. If it feels alright then Exter makes for a strong case.
Old 14th June 2023, 19:04   #142
BHPian

Quote:
This looks interesting except for the AMT, any comments from existing Hyundai AMT owners please.
We got a grand i10 Nios AMT in the extended family last month. I drove it in the city and was surprised to see such smooth gear shifts in the AMT. No head nods at all. I drive the Carens DCT Turbo Petrol, and the NA engine with AMT of the Nios felt such a delight to drive in city traffic, where the Carens has a turbo lag.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:00   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
We got a grand i10 Nios AMT in the extended family last month. I drove it in the city and was surprised to see such smooth gear shifts in the AMT. No head nods at all. I drive the Carens DCT Turbo Petrol, and the NA engine with AMT of the Nios felt such a delight to drive in city traffic, where the Carens has a turbo lag.
Thanks Knightrider, have been going through many reviews of AMT's and most agree that Hyundai's are the best of the lot. Have to see how the drive turns out.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:23   #144
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Exter interiors revealed-

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-hyundaiexterconnectedfeaturesinteriors4768x768.jpg

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-hyundaiexterconnectedfeaturesinteriors3768x768-1.jpg

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-hyundaiexterconnectedfeaturesinteriors2768x768.jpg

Source- https://www.rushlane.com/hyundai-ext...-12471966.html

After the complete reveal of the interiors, it wouldn't be wrong to see this car as an SUV version of the Grand i10 Nios. Good to see that they are giving proper 3 point seatbelts for the rear centre passenger though I wish they would have provided a headrest at the centre as well.

Last edited by AYP : 15th June 2023 at 13:25.
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:37   #145
BHPian

While Hyundai has revealed Exter's dimensions in terms of height(1631 mm) and wheelbase(2450 mm), it is somewhat surprising that the overall dimensions are still undisclosed at this stage. Judging from the pictures, the car appears to be similar in size to the Venue. However, considering Hyundai's plan to position it below the Venue, I am truly curious to know how compact the car is in comparison.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 13:48   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I am truly curious to know how compact the car is in comparison.
I was reading somewhere or maybe here that the car may very well look like a Suzuki S-Presso. Let's hope it really doesn't come to that

From the pics - I can see the the doors open at 90 degree angle just like Tata Punch for easy ingress/egress
Old 15th June 2023, 14:38   #147
BHPian

Dear members, I am surprised that this question of Exter Vs Jimny came up here as I was in this dilemma and was afraid to put up this questions because I thought who else would be stupid like me to compare two cars of different categories.

I am currently driving Hyundai Nios Asta AMT for last 3 years and lease will end in another 6 months so time to upgrade.
Need
1. We need a second car in the house for city runs. Smallest possible car, low maintenance and no frequent visits to ASS. I have my trusted Crysta for long distance trips so this car is strictly for 5 kms daily runs only.
2. Automatic, Safety, Cruise control, Auto AC, Apple car play etc is a must.
3. Petrol or EV – both are fine.
4. Any other feature like Sunroof, Interiors - is nice to have, does not matter to me.
5. Car cost is not a deciding factor, I am ok with something around 15 Ex Showroom.

Why Exter ?
1. Improvement over Nios – 6 Airbags, Lots of features, Cruise Control etc
2. Tall boy design – easy for Ingress / Egress

Why Jimny ?
1. Small Footprint for the car, Tall boy design.
2. I want to change from AMT to AT.
3. No off road use case, but in Namma Bengaluru, you don’t need to seek out mud terrain explicitly. Come rains, offroad comes seeking you
4. Mid life crisis, pushing 40, always fancied gypsy. Last chance to be naughty.

Why not Tata Tiago EV ?
1. I don’t want another Tata vehicle due to their ASS experience
2. Wife does not like the design

Why not eC3 ?
1. The car offers limited feature set – deal breakers for me are manual AC, no rear wipers etc. Nios has a fairly handsome interiors.

Why I dislike Nios AMT ?
1. While I agree with a lot of other members when they say that Hyundai AMT is better than Tata or others, what no one tells you is that the there is the typical Headnod present – specially if you have the habit of driving with high revs.
2. Another major problem is that in the morning when you cold start the car for the first time, there are a lot of jerks felt which smoothen out after about 2 -3 mins of standing or 1 -2 kms of driving.
3. This problem may be only with my car – when the car goes over a hump at any speed, say about 10 kmps, there is a strong jerk and noise from the front suspension. I had raised it to the ASS but it was dismissed as a non issue. The ride quality is not very pleasing.
4. Now the road from my parking to the Apartment Main gate is around 1 kms and has speed brakers every 20 mts. So when I am driving the Nios over them, the car stays in 1st gear, Speeds of approx. 15kmph and rpm at around 1500. As I cannot exceed this speed due to frequently slowing down to go over the humps, the jerks due to rpm fluctuations are very very irritating. Compare this to the Crysta 2.4 TC AT – it just flows / glides over the humps without breaking a sweat. Don’t know the gear the car is on – the shifts are that smooth. I guess having a larger capacity engine also helps there. So want a smoother experience over the Nios.

So now the Main question – Exter or Jimny for me ?
Some pointers will help me decide accordingly. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 15th June 2023 at 14:39. Reason: Adding Disclaimer
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:34   #148
BHPian

Exter Interior:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-exter.png

Nios Interior:

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-i10.png

Aura Interior

Hyundai Exter Compact SUV bookings open-aura.png

It looks like the interiors are the same, like Nios and Aura.

1. A/C knob and controls
2. Steering wheel
3. Dashboard
4. Gear lever
5. Power outlet switches
6. Door handle
7. Driver-side window controls
8. front seat fixed headrest design
9. Infotainment system

Difference:

1. Instrument cluster
2. single-tone dashboard (full black)

It is a Nios-based microSUV (with higher ground clearance).
At least Hyundai should provide an adjustable front seat headrest in the Exter. Both Nios, Aura, and Exter have the same fixed front seat headrest.
  • No center armrest (both front seats and rear seats)
  • There is no middle adjustable head rest in the rear seat.
Exter is based on Nios and Aura, so it will get a 15-inch wheel. (Both Nios and Aura get 15 inches only, even in the top model.)
It will be good if Hyundai provides a 16-inch wheel, at least in the top model in Exter.
Let's see how Hyundai will set the price of the Exter. It will definitely cannibalize the Nios, Aura, i20 (1.2L variants), and Venue (1.2L variants) sales.

Last edited by JacksonStorm : 15th June 2023 at 16:04. Reason: add information
JacksonStorm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 15:37   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post

I am currently driving Hyundai Nios Asta AMT for last 3 years and lease will end in another 6 months so time to upgrade.
Need
1. We need a second car in the house for city runs. Smallest possible car, low maintenance and no frequent visits to ASS. I have my trusted Crysta for long distance trips so this car is strictly for 5 kms daily runs only.
2. Automatic, Safety, Cruise control, Auto AC, Apple car play etc is a must..
If the need is only for a car for city runs, I fail to understand the requirement of Cruise Control. It would be to the contrary given it will hardly be used in the city.

On the ask, it looks like the Tiago EV would be best suited given the small footprint and the low cost of running. Also since the city runs would be at max 5 kms daily, I assume it would have multiple short runs which are not so good for the longevity of an IC-Engine.

The MG Comet EV can also be a good option if you are fine with the shortcomings of it. Eg. Limited space in backseat, small wheels etc
Deathmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:13   #150
BHPian

Hi, in all probability we will be getting raised Grand i10 Nios with close to 3850mm length, 1735mm width and 1631mm height with same Grand i10 Nios wheelbase of 2450 and starting price of Rs.5.99 lacs ex showroom Delhi for Era MT variant. Boot space can be around 330 ltr to 350 ltr. This is going to be a instant hit product from Hyundai because of excellent look, very nice interior, features to offer and above all very refined engine.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 15th June 2023 at 16:17.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks