Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to discontinue i20 Diesel

As per Autocar, Hyundai would be discontinuing the i20 Diesel owing to the RDE norms which would be kicking in by April 2023.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...lations-426118

Diesels would eventually die, slowly and very painfully.
rakesh_r is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai to discontinue i20 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
As per Autocar, Hyundai would be discontinuing the i20 Diesel owing to the RDE norms which would be kicking in by April 2023.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...lations-426118

Diesels would eventually die, slowly and very painfully.
Aren't the norms in support of Diesels?
Because I have heard that the RDE norms will push the sales of Diesel vehicles.
Kindly correct me if I am wrong
YashOjha15 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:35   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone from the industry told me that by next year, the cost of the exhaust system + controls will be on par (or almost on par) with the cost of the engine! Who would've thought?!

Plus, Maruti moved the market into thinking "petrol only" for small cars.

Not surprised to see this news and I fully expect many other small diesel cars to follow. However, for their crossovers, they will have to continue offering diesels as these form a big chunk of sales. A bit sad because the i20 diesel is a wonderful car with superb refinement + economy + acceptable performance.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Do we need to consider this as a hint that Koreans are going to discontinue their 1.5 VGT CRDI also later? So many cars are sharing this powertrain and bringing strong sales numbers for the Koreans. I expect Hyundai should be having a strong alternative like Petrol hybrid to discontinue the entire diesel line up. Hope Koreans will update their super refined 1.5 CRDI to meet the new norms.
Can someone please clarify the key takeaway for a prospect Korean diesel customer in 2022?

Last edited by manson : 28th October 2022 at 18:55. Reason: Corrections
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Do we need to consider this as a hint that Koreans are going to discontinue their 1.5 VGT CRDI also very soon?
Hope Koreans will update their super refined 1.5 CRDI to meet the new norms.
The above autocarindia article clearly mentions this:
The i20’s 100hp, 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine, on the other hand, is shared with the Venue and Kia Sonet, while the more powerful 115hp version with a variable-geometry turbo (VGT) is also used in the Creta, Verna and Alcazar (not to mention a number of Kia models). While it will be axed from the i20, the 1.5 CRDi engine will continue in all the other models and upgraded to meet the new RDE norms. Diesel is far more important in Hyundai’s SUV line-up, still making up 35 percent of Venue sales and over 60 percent of Creta sales.

Last edited by manson : 28th October 2022 at 18:55. Reason: Edited quote.
PearlJam is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess the Altroz will follow suit, more so since the diesel is contributing less to the overall sales of Altroz. While am sure that Hyundai and Mahindra will upgrade their 1.5l diesels, am not really sure about TATA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashOjha15 View Post
Aren't the norms in support of Diesels?
Because I have heard that the RDE norms will push the sales of Diesel vehicles.
Kindly correct me if I am wrong
If there is a real world fuel economy test, the diesels will ace it.

The ones that are going to get caught are the GDI turbo petrols IMO. Some engines that uses a combination of direct injection and port injection may perform good. But most of the GDI turbo petrols are said to have the same levels of emissions (not sure if it is NO2 or C02) as diesels do in real life driving conditions.

Guess, hybrids are the ones that will perform best in these tests.
DicKy is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel makes up just 10 percent of i20 sales
This part is so sad. At the time of i20 introduction (2008), i20 meant diesel. The petrol was a meek engine combined with lousy FE at 35 Rs/liter additional cost didn't really make it an attractive proposition. I came really close to owning one in 2010.

As an extension of the above news, does that mean the 1.2D on Aura/XCent Prime will be discontinued too?
narayans80 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:24   #8
BHPian

It is really sad to see the fate of Diesel vehicles.
Maybe 5 to 7 years down the line there won't be any Diesel vehicles except for heavy and commercial vehicles.
Will Tata bring the Varicor 400 engine to the Safari with 4WD when these norms are kicking in?
Old 21st October 2022, 11:25   #9
BANNED

Hopefully, Kia won't do the same as all their cars have a relatively high percentage of sales from diesel, be it Sonet, Seltos, Carnival, or Carens. Maybe they could upgrade the WGT to VGT in the Sonet and perhaps all the diesel models will have to get an SCR system instead of the LNT which is in use in current models

By the way, I am getting the Kia Sonet Diesel AT delivered this Diwali!, but such news is never encouraging especially when you are buying a vehicle with the same engine, albeit in a different model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This part is so sad. At the time of i20 introduction (2008), i20 meant diesel. The petrol was a meek engine combined with lousy FE at 35 Rs/liter additional cost didn't really make it an attractive proposition. I came really close to owning one in 2010.

As an extension of the above news, does that mean the 1.2D on Aura/XCent Prime will be discontinued too?
Hasn't the Aura diesel already been discontinued?

https://https://www.cardekho.com/ind...scontinuation.

———

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st October 2022 at 19:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:30   #10
BHPian

This is sad day as Hyundai diesels are quite nice. I have Tucson Diesel 2022 model, Its wonderful car to drive with so much refinement.

We are in last leg of good diesel cars and must make most of it as in few years we all will be driving remote controlled electric cars.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:40   #11
BHPian

If this a trendsetter for more cars to follow suite, I would be curious to see the fate of other popular diesel vehicles in the coming years. With norms getting more and more stringent and NGT getting more and more excited, a grim fate for diesels appears to be a writing on the wall. Interesting times ahead.

A sad signal for the torque lover dieselheads.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 21st October 2022 at 11:41.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:40   #12
BHPian

@Dicky I thought the Altroz diesel was the one moving off the shelves! I saw 5 Altroz diesels being delivered in a span of an hour.
The Altroz is extremely disappointing with the NA petrol, okayish with the turbo petrol, and a beast with the diesel. 90hp and 200Nm of torque. Wish it got the Nexon 260Nm diesel.
100Kmphormore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
@Dicky I thought the Altroz diesel was the one moving off the shelves! I saw 5 Altroz diesels being delivered in a span of an hour.
The Altroz is extremely disappointing with the NA petrol, okayish with the turbo petrol, and a beast with the diesel. 90hp and 200Nm of torque. Wish it got the Nexon 260Nm diesel.
Read somewhere that diesel share is below 10-20% of total Altroz sales. And every Altroz I see in my town happens to be a petrol. Guess the almost 2 lakhs difference makes people shun the diesel. Add to that, the Nexon diesel is just a lakh away for most people who want a diesel.

Agree. I just L-O-V-E the diesel Altroz. Apart from some minor hiccups in the absolute lower end performance, it drives so beautifully. Haven't driven the Altroz petrol yet, but from my experience driving the Tiago and punch petrols, I can only imagine how that mediocre engine would be in the Altroz.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 12:11   #14
BHPian

To put in simple terms, Hyundai & Kia currently have two variations of 1.5L diesel engine

1. 1.5L WGT Diesel [100 HP] offered in: i20, Venue & Sonet. This engine is mated to only 6MT.
2. 1.5L VGT Diesel [115 HP] offered in: Sonet (AT only), Seltos, Carens and Creta. This engine has option of 6MT or 6AT.

Assuming good diesel sales for the SUVs, Venue & Sonet are expected to get a more powerful diesel engine after RDE implementation.
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:37   #15
BHPian

Happened to connect with a Hyundai dealer here while enquiring about Creta availability.

Apparently the 1.5 CRDI engine line itself may be discontinued once the RDE norms come into effect. The cost to upgrade engines will not make the Creta/Seltos prices viable. It also seems that Toyota/Maruti/Tata is lobbying to bring in some kind of subsidies for Hybrid & electric power trains. So the diesel will end up becoming even more expensive.

According to this source, the problem is not as pronounced for bigger engines like Compass & XUV700 or even the Tucson. I am not really clear why this is the case but it seemed surprising to me. I would have imagined the cost would be higher for a larger diesel engine.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks