Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 22:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to discontinue i20 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As an extension of the above news, does that mean the 1.2D on Aura/XCent Prime will be discontinued too?
The 1.2 diesel has been discontinued already for a while by Hyundai.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:07   #17
BHPian

Sad to see it go. Just bought an i20 diesel for wife in april. Love the car every bit. Its so smooth and silent that i never leave a chance to drive it and every day i want to replace my s cross diesel which now feels very noisy and underpowered in comparison.
When we bought it, it felt very expensive for a small car, but now when we compare prices of most other cars, it feels so much value for money at 12.5lacs on road for asta(o) for the space, comfort and features it offers.
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashOjha15 View Post
Will Tata bring the Varicor 400 engine to the Safari with 4WD when these norms are kicking in?
You can dream about that (I do too). Tata and 4WD cannot be in the same sentence anymore. They absolutely do not want it to be in their cars despite having the D8 platform.

If by any miracle they do bring 4WD/AWD to Gravitas (because it isn't a Safari)/Harrier, expect the automatics to get axed for this because thumb rule of the Indian market: If it has 4WD/AWD, then it must not be automatic. If it is, then either make it out of reach or kill the product in 1-2 years.
vredesbyrd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Guess the Altroz will follow suit, more so since the diesel is contributing less to the overall sales of Altroz. While am sure that Hyundai and Mahindra will upgrade their 1.5l diesels, am not really sure about TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
@Dicky I thought the Altroz diesel was the one moving off the shelves! I saw 5 Altroz diesels being delivered in a span of an hour.
The Altroz is extremely disappointing with the NA petrol, okayish with the turbo petrol, and a beast with the diesel. 90hp and 200Nm of torque. Wish it got the Nexon 260Nm diesel.
Altroz diesel is a mere 5% of altroz sales, atleast that's the statistics from the dealership in my city. Natural because the diesel commands 1.5 to 2 lakhs premium over the N/A petrol. In hatchback economy, that's a lot of money. Add to that the DPF issues perennial to all Bs6 diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Read somewhere that diesel share is below 10-20% of total Altroz sales. And every Altroz I see in my town happens to be a petrol. Guess the almost 2 lakhs difference makes people shun the diesel. Add to that, the Nexon diesel is just a lakh away for most people who want a diesel.

Agree. I just L-O-V-E the diesel Altroz. Apart from some minor hiccups in the absolute lower end performance, it drives so beautifully. Haven't driven the Altroz petrol yet, but from my experience driving the Tiago and punch petrols, I can only imagine how that mediocre engine would be in the Altroz.
I have both petrol N/A and diesel altroz in my family. Agreed, the diesel Altroz is a gem to drive. Believe me, the petrol N/A will put you to sleep on the highways. The chassis deserves a more powerful engine. 84 bhp 1.2 N/A is weak!

Not only is it weak, it's also thirsty. How about 11-13 kmpl

I think Tata will also work on the 1.5 diesel, given most nexon sales are from diesel. But if i20 diesel discontinuance has anything to do with making smaller diesels conform to 2023 emissions norms, I don't think Altroz 1.5 diesel would continue too.

Anyways I am glad that I have the 1.5 diesel hatchback. 1 year and 32,000 km later I can vouch that it's an all-rounder.

While I would give 8.5/10 for altroz 1.5 diesel, the i20 1.5 diesel is even better at 9/10. Sad to see it go.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd October 2022 at 10:33.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 12:54   #20
BHPian

This is really sad news. I've used i20 Diesel for more than a decade and drove over 1,00,000 km. I can vouch for its no problem run. The engine is quite refined and perfectly tuned for that car. Guess it's time to move on. The current cars would be last leg of diesel engines for passenger cars.
destinykid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Just purchased I20 diesel last Saturday and did my first highway drive of 420 kms today. Even though at one end feeling really sad to see this news immediately after the purchase but at the same time I feel happy that I purchased it while it is available. Especially after today's drive, where I experienced the smooth refinement and the power of this engine am glad I am one of the proud owners of this beauty.
Revvatron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 17:07   #22
BHPian

Looks like a whole bunch of diesels are going to go! NGT is sure working overtime butvare they doing things the right way, I have my doubts. I still see a whole lot of commercial vehicles spewing smoke everywhere. Unless thatvsegment is touched, there will not be any results to be seen on the ground!
Old 22nd October 2022, 22:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone from the industry told me that by next year, the cost of the exhaust system + controls will be on par (or almost on par) with the cost of the engine!.
Not exactly.
Yes, exhaust after treatment will get costlier but the bigger problem facing car makers is in the area of vehicle integration a la packaging.
To stuff all those extra exhaust cleaning bits underneath a hatchback platform which at best stretches the wheelbase to, what, 2500-2550 mm max? with minimum overhangs (because of the 4m rule), is a very, very trying task.
Also after adding the newer exhaust configuration there's quite a bit of drop in power & torque as well. If an OEM wants to up those, they may have to increase the displacement/ cubic capacity of the powertrain - which will go against the 4m/1.5 litre rule.

I think after the i20, TML will quietly drop the Altroz diesel too.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 08:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

This may be OT, but what bothers me is that regulatory authorities especially in India are focusing on what I would call the smallest culprits. Most private car owners typically do maintain their cars to a decent standard, and so the chance of a private car spewing black smoke is very low. Most of the commercial taxi fleet has gone CNG anyway. Yes, the commercial cargo segment is the one that is relatively less maintained and needs immediate attention. But regulatory bodies should strongly look at the sheer rampant, unbridled growth of infrastructure, buildings/complexes , roads, the destruction of landscape in the process, and the hazardous practices around this activity. I am pretty sure that the amount of dust due to construction constitutes a more significant portion of the total particulate matter in the air. What are they doing about this? And I am not even getting to the political hot potato that is the stubble burning.
Unfortunately, the emission scandals of the recent years cast a cloud (pun intended) on the credibility of the automobile industry. We consumers have to suffer the results.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 09:56   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I think Tata will also work on the 1.5 diesel, given most Nexon sales are from diesel. But if i20 diesel discontinuance has anything to do with making smaller diesels conform to 2023 emissions norms, I don't think Altroz 1.5 diesel would continue too.
Nexon diesel may also be discontinued as Altroz diesel is 9% in overall Altroz sales. Where as NEXON diesel contributes just 17% of all Nexon sales. With such low number it's hard to justify it's continuation.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th October 2022 at 18:48. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Chevyspark is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 18:36   #26
BHPian

India's most refined diesel hatchback to be gone. I half expected Hyundai would launch the TC auto diesel in the i20 NLine. Who wouldn't want a fuel efficient automatic!

I thought Hyundai would maintain it's name in offering a plethora of power train options throughout it's line up. Beside the i10, all cars come with almost all possible power train options. With the profits Hyundai makes, IMO it could continue offering a diesel.

So anyway, when this becomes a reality, altroz will be the only hatchback that has a diesel option. If Tata indeed plans to discontinue the diesel altroz, it can at least postpone it for a while to at least get a lasting name: The last diesel hatchback of India.

Also, if they plan to discontinue, it has turned out to be a bad idea and investment to detune the 1.5L diesel and do all the R&D and road tests. Instead they could've altered the Altroz base slightly to accommodate the 6 speed manual transmission and used the Nexon spec diesel. Would have been a rocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyspark View Post
Nexon diesel may also be discontinued as Altroz diesel is 9% in overall Altroz sales. Where as NEXON diesel contributes just 17% of all Nexon sales. With such low number it's hard to justify it's continuation.
17 percent isn't less. It's almost 2400 units. There was a time when Nexon did only around 3k units per month. Also, when most of the competing cSUV offer diesel options, and Kia, with a proper auto, discontinuing diesel in nexon would be a shot in its own foot. So, I don't think it's hard to justify.
Old 24th October 2022, 18:44   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
17 percent isn't less. It's almost 2400 units. There was a time when Nexon did only around 3k units per month. Also, when most of the competing cSUV offer diesel options, and Kia, with a proper auto, discontinuing diesel in nexon would be a shot in its own foot. So, I don't think it's hard to justify.
It's not 17 but only 16% in no. 12918 diesel Nexon are sold in first half this calendar year. As 1.5 diesel is a non SCR technology i.e.(no ad blue). There is high possibility that all non SCR Diesel cars are going to axed irrespective of manufacturer.

MOD Note: Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.

Last edited by Chevyspark : 24th October 2022 at 19:05. Reason: Adding more info to the post
Chevyspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:27   #28
BHPian

After looking at various options, had finally zeroed down to i20 Diesel Asta(O) variant. Have made a booking towards the same on 2nd Oct. Sales advisor is not certain about the waiting period and delivery timeline. Any possibility of getting a unit allocated before the end of production? Please advise if I should wait with the booking or look at other options.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:11   #29
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
After looking at various options, had finally zeroed down to i20 Diesel Asta(O) variant. Have made a booking towards the same on 2nd Oct. Sales advisor is not certain about the waiting period and delivery timeline. Any possibility of getting a unit allocated before the end of production? Please advise if I should wait with the booking or look at other options.
If I were you, I'd put all my efforts to get a car allocated to me. This is perhaps the last chance for many of us to get a diesel hatchback. The only other diesel alternate is the Altroz(unless you count the Venue and the Sonet). If you are open to an SUV form factor, you can book either the Sonet or the Venue as a fallback option.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 15:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
I am sure you would get it in 2022 itself.
We booked an i20 Asta(O) Diesel on 22/3/22 with BM motors Dehradun. We were told a maximum time of 2-3 months. Unofficially, they were almost confident of delivery within a month.
On 6th day, i got a call from the SA that the car was allotted and we got the VIN number. The car arrived the showroom and was ready for delivery by end of march. We took Delivery on 6th April.

Basically, a car which is told to have a waiting time of 3-4 months was ready for delivery within 10 days. And that wasn't an old stock lying with the dealership, it was a fresh despatch from plant.
So, most of the waiting times are just not real. They even had a verna available for ready delivery.

Last edited by car-dent : 28th October 2022 at 15:09. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks