Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 13:52   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Invicto | Re-badged Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Being Maruti, I think this will sell more than Innova Hycross. Half people in India trust "S" logo when it comes to cars. Maruti A.S.S. has done great job in building that trust in peoples mind for last 3 decades now.
“T” badge has much more trust at 20 Lakhs + than the “S” badge. Also Toyota will be the one deciding the volumes Maruti gets, it’ll not be higher than what the Innova sells ever.

Service for a Toyota will always be better at Toyota.

Quote:
If Maruti can price this better than Toyota, it will sell like anything. Also this is looking better, sportier than Innova. I guess Maruti will also have Hybrid model here. This car with 2.0 Diesel from Fiat will be great combo. Bring it on Maruti.
As mentioned it’s Toyota’s product so pricing will be higher for Maruti Suzuki’s version. There is no scope for a diesel that too a Fiat-sourced one!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

Bookings for the Maruti Invicto MPV will open on June 19, followed by its price announcement on July 5.

Maruti Invicto | Re-badged Innova Hycross-20230613_174154.jpg

Quote:
- The new Invicto MPV will also be manufactured and supplied to Maruti by Toyota.

- Maruti is also expected to retain both 7- and 8-seater configurations for the Invicto.

- Expect the Invicto to be slightly pricier than the Innova Hycross as Maruti will have to pay royalty to Toyota.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th June 2023 at 17:43.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 18:41   #93
BHPian

Ah yes, Maruti Invicto. INnoVa In Collaboration with TOyota
Astargea is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 07:00   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki looking to crack the ₹ 20+ lakh segment.

Maruti Invicto | Re-badged Innova Hycross-fygunkhaeaawkge.jpg

- Emergence of the three-row premium SUV and MUV segments, which saw sales of about 2,58,000 units last fiscal.
- Of this, vehicles priced over Rs 20 lakh accounted for around 1,20,000-1,25,000 units.
- Research indicates that there are customers, who are looking for comfort, space, roominess, great features and good performance, which is either an MPV or an SUV or has the characteristics of both
- MSIL’s premium MPV will get a panoramic sunroof, a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system with smartphone connectivity and advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) features.
- Target customer group falls in the age bracket of 35-45 years and are married or someone with a joint family. The monthly household income will be about Rs 1,50,000 plus, which would be much higher than the industry average. In terms of buying types, they are additional car or replacement car buyers than first-time buyers.
- MSIL aspires to become the leading SUV player this fiscal with a market share of around 25 percent.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th June 2023 at 07:18.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any use case for a Maruti version of Innova priced higher than the segment king "Innova" which has the Toyota badge.

Does having a higher sticker price make Maruti a premium segment player ? They do need to first sell this in good numbers and then keep the maintenance cost low.

Maruti is not the cheapest to maintain as they have that infamous 20K service where they replace most of the fluids and bump up your bill which Toyota does not. This is from my personal experience as my Alto K10 service costs as much as my Corolla Altis which is a much more premium car. Also I mostly take my Corolla to service once a year and get it back within 1-1.5 hours. Maruti takes a whole day to service an entry level budget car !!

Only way Maruti can pull this one off is if they come up with CNG integration for non hybrids(their strength) and try and bargain with Toyota, as this might help fleet operators

Last edited by rajshenoy : 14th June 2023 at 09:17.
rajshenoy is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:49   #96
BHPian

I don't think they are really targetting huge volumes here.
I think this is Maruti's way of trying to improve their brand image by association.

This is a win-win for MSIL. All they need to do Is recuperate the cost of the badges they are sticking.

On a more serious note, the only thing they have changed are the bumpers and emblems. So, even if it doesn't sell, this allows them to easily enter the 20-40lakh segment without worrying about people judging them and their vehicles as "cheap" or "budget car", bacause they can just point out to them that it's essentially a Toyota.

This kind of brand interchangeability will help them, in the long run, convince their average buyer that Maruti is no less than Toyota(the maker of the "MIGHTY" or "Overpriced"(however you see it) FORTUNER.

And for TOYOTA, they will probably be able utilise their plant to full capacity and sell more of these vehicles by selling it through Maruti also, than if they tried alone.
Just by virtue of their being more number of Maruti Showrooms, they will get more people to get up close to the vehicles and attract potential customers who might otherwise have not visited a Toyota showroom for their own reasons.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 14th June 2023 at 09:53. Reason: Addition of points.
ZenMaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:56   #97
BHPian

Toyota is a Toyota! But then, I feel Invicto will have less of a taxi image that Hycross unmistakably inherits from Innova. The front profile and fascia change of the Invicto further enhance this. I would go for the Invicto if I had to choose between the two. I'm a fan of Toyota quality but expect much of it to be passed over to Invicto during the production phase at the Toyota plants. The service quality of Maruti may not be in the same league but it is very much satisfactory.
VinsWagen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:07   #98
BHPian

Hi, to me it look like Nexa (Maruti) is playing with the mind of people here. People who can afford to buy Rs.25+ lacs SUV is well informed that Hycross & Invicto are same product developed by Toyota. As far as reliability is concerned both Toyota & Nexa (Maruti) are extremely reliable brands.

As of now Nexa (Maruti) has tasted success in 15 lacs plus priced product via Grand Vitara, which is consistently selling upward of 7000 units a month.

Nexa (Maruti) has big advantage of long waiting period of Hycross and also Nexa-Maruti's reach to almost every corner of India. I feel that Nexa Invicto will be superhit in the market and it will give Nexa (Maruti) an opportunity to launch more products starting above 20 lacs.
GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:45   #99
BHPian

Lot of predictions being made about the sales success of the Invicto.

Personally, I like the looks of the Invicto better than the Innova Hycross. I think it will sell in decent numbers. Won't be a super hit, but unlikely to be a flop either.

Nexa dealership network is wide, and even average car-buyers will realise a Maruti Innova will have enough Toyota characteristics.

With the success of more premium models such as the Ciaz initially, the Brezza, and now the Grand Vitara, I think there are very few people these days who would turn their noses up seeing a Maruti (Suzuki really!) badge.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

For time being, this can be used as Tatkal version of Hycross. For sure, there will be some stock allocated to Maruti, and folks booking now can bypass long waiting for Hycross. Couple of months down the line, other than reach may not have significant upper hand over Hycorss.
PrideRed is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:07   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Target customer group falls in the age bracket of 35-45 years and are married or someone with a joint family. The monthly household income will be about Rs 1,50,000 plus, which would be much higher than the industry average. In terms of buying types, they are additional car or replacement car buyers than first-time buyers.
Link
Interesting. A household with INR 150K income per month, will buy a large petrol/hybrid car costing over 20L in today's world of insane inflation on a daily (if not hourly) basis? Perhaps I am getting old or lost touch with market realities. Personally I'd be too scared if I'm in their anticipated bracket of 35-45 (which I am), and bringing 1.5L per month - to buy a 20+ lakh car, unless its an absolute necessity for even survival.

That said on the other hand - I feel the car will see plenty sales. Given the sales of the Ertiga & XL6 in private segments & the number of HyCross already being seen - there definitely is market demand for it. Most importantly - the % of families with much higher monthly income than the mentioned 1.5L - is significantly high now a days. The buying power exists for sure. (Its the options that we are lacking .)
Reinhard is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

There is just one major issue with the Invicto and that would be the potential resale! The innova has a stellar legacy, has built up phenomenal credibility such that the resale is just exceptional! The Invicto can never match this legacy, it will always remain very niche even by Suzuki’s sales standards. Unless someone is really keen on an immediate delivery, i think the Toyota badge always makes better sense, at least in this case.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 14:25   #103

Just a thought:
Can this be a way to differentiate Hycross as a more premium product and make the Invicto as a Taxi model (may be not at launch, but in the long term).

I believe the taxi guys would be more than happy as they would get a Toyota product with the service reach of a Maruti Suzuki, may be with an (wrong) expectation of lowered maintanence cost vs a Toyota?

The Hycross owners on the other hand will get the bragging rights of calling their cars as 'Premium', with all the bells and whistles, especially if they make some options as exclusively available only in the Hycross.
IYoungAre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 18:19   #104
BHPian

It will be quite interesting to see sales number of Invicto compared to Innova. In all rebadged vehicles, MSIL has led the sales numbers. Toyota has nothing significant in small car, sedan or small SUV segment and Innova is their bread and butter brand. If Invicto creates a dent in Innova sales, then Toyota will have to think of something to avoid decline in revenue. Perhaps that is why, they are manufacturing it and not the other way round.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 19:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
In all rebadged vehicles, MSIL has led the sales numbers. Toyota has nothing significant in small car, sedan or small SUV segment and Innova is their bread and butter brand. If Invicto creates a dent in Innova sales, then Toyota will have to think of something to avoid decline in revenue. Perhaps that is why, they are manufacturing it and not the other way round.
Invicto denting Hycross sales? Did you tell it as a joke or was it really a thought process question? Even MSIL marketing guys cannot come up with such deep gyan my friend. I read in a car forum whatsapp chat that some dealers in a metro city gave a waiting period of 3.5 years for tentative delivery of Hycross!
So No, it is not going to dent anything for Hycross. It will be just like Bhpian PrideRed said -- A Premium Tatkal which few won't mind.

For MSIL, this can give them a chance to dip their toes in the 20-25L category, where even Hyundai has had a presence for a long time now. Also, there are close to 300 Nexa outlets spread across India. 5 Deliveries per month will give them 1500 deliveries which will be the max I think Toyota is going to allot to MSIL in the first place. Can MSIL not find 5 prospective customers in their 10 KM radius of their showrooms?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th June 2023 at 08:54. Reason: bakras > prospective customers
RaghuVis is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed