Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 15:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan X-Trail, Juke & Qashqai showcased in India

It's good Nissan is introducing new products to Indian Market. These products are global products from Nissan and hopefully they will be received well if priced correctly. This shows they have not become complacent like Honda who don't have any good selling product apart from the City.

They should also upgrade the Kicks and take care of its shortcomings. Kicks is an overall good product but needs to be upgraded especially interiors. Nissan should also improve their service network as well and improve overall customer ownership experience.
souvikjana83 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 15:56   #17
BHPian

So good to see Nissan finally thinking of bringing cars which Indians love (read SUVs). But to make it a success, they need a Nexa moment like Maruti to garner interests of premium buyers. With the current set of dealers and ambience, it’s very difficult to get customers to showroom because Nissan has diluted its brand value in the last few years compared to when it was introduced in India.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 17:38   #18
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Great to see Nissan working on bringing these global models to India.
They have some really great products in however it would be interesting to see how they market and price them.

I think they should have also got the Ariya here and try to make way into the EV SUV segment.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Without upgrading their dealership and service networks no one will want to buy these Croosovers/SUVs from Nissan.

In the international markets these 3 products are well acclaimed, but in India the brand Nissan in itself is a gamble and a person wanting to plonk let’s say 40 Lakhs for the X-Trail will require some serious interest from Nissan, otherwise there is no point in bringing these cars to India.

Nissan India must make a roadmap, there isn’t much of a point if let’s say they launch either of the 3 Crossover/SUVs just to discontinue them 3 years down the line…
If MG (Hector), and Kia (Seltos) can make numbers with a similar set-up of dealer network (when they were launched), Nissan can make it in a simple and easy way. Let's not forget that Nissan as a brand and X-Trail as a model/name are already established in India.

X-Trail is not a volume maker for Nissan in India and I'm sure they are well aware of that. If 200 units of Kodiaq are sold out, X-Trail can surely make more numbers than Skoda given X-Trail/Nissan is more reliable a brand compared to Skoda.

X-Trail is just the stepping stone to establishing and regaining confidence in the Indian market while most likely Juke and Qashqai can be volume makers for Nissan.

While I am with you on one imperative point though that the sales/service network needs to be significantly increased and improved if they want to compete in the volume game with cars like Juke and Qashqai.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:48   #20
BHPian

The X-Trail eForce is exciting for me. It is a much better solution than the strong hybrids that are being pushed by Toyota. It has a small 3 cylinder engine driving a generator and electric motors on the front and back with a decent battery pack. After sales support is going to be tricky.
ohaak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 20:42   #21
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

CBU product strategy

Nissan X-Trail, Juke & Qashqai showcased in India-1.png

From a mass market brand perspective, the CBU product strategy only works for Toyota’s globally acclaimed products like the Vellfire (MUV), Land Cruiser (SUV), and Land Cruiser Prado (SUV).

Nissan X-Trail, Juke & Qashqai showcased in India-2.png

Jeep (Grand Cherokee & Wrangler) and Skoda (Octavia RS245), both suffered with their CBU product strategy earlier. So it is not going to work for Nissan in India either.

Premium brand image

Nissan X-Trail, Juke & Qashqai showcased in India-3.png

Toyota, Skoda, Jeep, and Honda (before 2010) are the only brands that are able to sell their premium products with a mass market badge. The Ford Endeavour and MG Gloster are the only SUV-specific exceptions here.

Nissan X-Trail, Juke & Qashqai showcased in India-4.png

Hyundai (Sonata, Elantra, Terracan, Santa Fe & Tucson) and Volkswagen (Jetta, Passat & Tiguan) are still struggling to achieve premium brand positioning in Indian market.

Name:  5.png
Views: 945
Size:  319.7 KB

It is highly doubtful if Nissan could achieve premium positioning, when their best selling product (Magnite) still carries the front grill design from the discontinued ‘Datsun’ budget brand.
pqr is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 20:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I think they should have also got the Ariya here and try to make way into the EV SUV segment.
Ariya shall be coming. Let's wait for Feb 2023. Both Qashqai and Ariya were written on the respective photographs/ illustrations in the Nissan dealership of Gurgaon. Qashqai was shown today. I guess there will be another event for the eV and Stronger hybrid etc.

Nissan has taken a big office space on lease in Gurgaon. Definitely they must have a bigger plan for India.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:23   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Instead of continuously crying and complaining about Nissan's limited dealership network, we should appreciate them for bringing three of their global SUVs to India. At least Nissan is trying to give quality products instead of doing cost cutting and playing it safe like other brands.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:24   #24
BHPian

Such beautiful and well engineered cars ! Alas, will be a difficult sale because of how they have treated customers. No existing Nissan customer can ever recommend this brand to his friends or family ! I wish them the best of luck. Hopefully they will also focus on improving the service experience to gain trust. Just having good cars doesn't matter - ask Fiat !
akg7091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 23:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Instead of continuously crying and complaining about Nissan's limited dealership network, we should appreciate them for bringing three of their global SUVs to India..
Yeah, reminds me of those other two Japanese biggies who are scared even if they have a huge crossover/SUV lineup that will be lapped up even if they bring in as CBUs. But nope. They won't. Yep, talking about the big 'T' and 'H'.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 00:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Major drawback of the internal combustion engine is the relatively narrow powerband which necessitates the use of a transmission with different gear ratios. This e-power system could theoretically always let the engine run at whatever is the most efficient rpm without worrying about car speed or load, thereby massively increasing efficiency. Diesel generators and diesel-electric trains use a similar system to achieve more efficiency. You can also add large fixed geometry turbos to the system without caring about turbo lag or throttle responsiveness because the vehicle speed isn't tied to rpm.

I just wonder why they used a petrol engine instead of a diesel. The 'dirtier' image of diesel cars perhaps?
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 09:49   #27
BHPian

I sometimes don't understand the sentiments on the forum, on one hand we cry about not having global products and on the other when a manufacturer does get in an odd number of global cars in we start crying about dealer network and how it will fail.

We should accept these with open arms, heck I bought the Hyosung Comet GT250 Twin motorcycle when I had no dealer for 500kms around me. For its time I thoroughly enjoyed the motorcycle.

Am glad to see the X-Trail and Qashqai in India, I've driven the X-Trail in Sri-Lanka and its a brilliant SUV.
lionell is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Instead of continuously crying and complaining about Nissan's limited dealership network, we should appreciate them for bringing three of their global SUVs to India. At least Nissan is trying to give quality products instead of doing cost cutting and playing it safe like other brands.
Atleast Nissan has some presence in Tier 2/3 cities . And the service network of even Maruti is pretty pathetic in Tier 2 cities like Aurangabad MH . This I'm speaking from personal experience so I very much endorse your statement.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:00   #29
BHPian

Somehow I still fail to understand the misgivings that people have about the Nissan brand.

Currently their portfolio consists of a very good value engineered small SUV and one larger one with two engine options out of which the naturally aspirated version is very good value for money.

The turbo charged 1.3 powered Kicks with its stellar suspension and driving dynamics is probably the best handing and most power packed mid size SUV in India.

Yes the Kicks is based on a relatively older platform but the lack of frills and actually extra features like the sun roof which actually has no real value in Indian summers gives it the upside of being a sturdy no-nonsense platform where not much will go wrong 4-5 years down the line.

I've seen the high maintenance cost of VW and Skoda in my circle , the inability of Hyundai to solve gremlins in the Creta , the bugs in the Harrier where we still have to switch off and switch on to get things working and the indifference of MM if things dont work as they are supposed to do so .
Of the lot lot Maruti is the worst by virtue of being the market leader and all these issues are primarily of the service stations in the city that I stay . Nissan is no better and most importantly worse than any of these.

Eventually it comes down to the team and that's the job of both the dealer and the manufacturer.

Toyota is probably the best when you compare pan India but the sales story in smaller town is something I'd rather not go into.

With the products that Nissan may get and with the same benchmark prices as the competition this can be a amazing brand building exercise for them. I'll personally wait for the Xtrial with great interest.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
I'll personally wait for the Xtrial with great interest.
Absolutely I echo your thoughts, I am in for a change a year down the line and I have been evaluating many SUVs. I am old school so I don't need gimmicks but a well engineered product to take me places and the X-Trail ticks all the right boxes.

Just the look of that steering wheel with those big chunky and rugged buttons got me excited. Reminded me of the Ineos Grenadier.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks