Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Strong Hybrid 162 81.41%
Mild Hybrid 37 18.59%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 23:12   #16

Re: Toyota Hyryder & Maruti Grand Vitara | Strong Hybrid vs Mild Hybrid | What would you choose & wh

Hi

Any suggestions as to how many kilometers would the car run on pure battery mode on a full charge? Both the Grand Vitara and the Hyrider.
Old 29th September 2022, 23:27   #17
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Hyryder & Maruti Grand Vitara | Strong Hybrid vs Mild Hybrid | What would you choose & wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtjm View Post
Hi

Any suggestions as to how many kilometers would the car run on pure battery mode on a full charge? Both the Grand Vitara and the Hyrider.
From the various videos on YouTube, the String Hybrid can run on pure EV mode for 4 - 5 kms, provided the battery is fully charged and the car is accelerated very gently to speeds less than 50 kmph. The battery runs out of juice and the petrol motor switches on to charge the battery.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Have chosen the strong hybrid Hyryder. Made a booking for the Blue Strong Hybrid Variant G trim, at a price of 17.49 lakhs. It should come to about 21 lakhs on-road in Chennai and it is better value than the Grand Vitara's equivalent variant, which is 50K more expensive ex-showroom. Somehow like the global Toyota family look than the Grand Vitara's looks as well. Also the mild hybrid has the infamous Suzuki grandma engine that is already so slow on the Breeza, imagine how slow it will be in the biggest vehicle on the next upper segment!

Though Maruti and Toyota are both equally good at Service, I think Toyota has an edge in the department ultimately, as they primarily nowadays sell and service higher end models like the Innova and Fortuner.

The Toyota booking process on-line is not as good as Mahindra's. You fill all your details and pay and you get only a payment receipt for the amount on-line - No confirmation of the variant, dealer or anything. Later I got a call from the dealer and the SA assigned was asking "which model and colour did you book" etc. Seems like the information is not flowing seamlessly.

In any case, I now have two bookings, for two cars from polar opposites of the spectrum. My Thar being 2-door is great fun for me, but not well liked by the family due to absence of rear doors and windows. Need to add a more practical car to the garage and will be able to lease a new car once my current Thar Corporate lease ends at the end of this year. I have a ScorpioN Z8 D 4WD AT booked as well as now a Hyryder G Strong Hybrid. One is an all-road and no road beast, while the other is a gentle lamb that returns over 25kpl. My commute is very short but the technology of the Hyryder is kind of exciting. Plus, it has every feature one could look for in the segment even in the variant below the top one. OK, the power deficit will be felt on highways, but if I can get a single tank range of 800 - 900 kms (after filling just 45 litres of petrol), I can live with a slower car. Plus, I will still have my Thar if I feel like a power drive. It will be an exciting wait, while mulling over which car comes next. The Hyryder will be a better complement to the Thar than the ScorpioN and the garage will have more diversity of fuels and drive-trains. Leaning that way now. Plus save a cool 5 lakhs on-road compared to ScorpioN!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 30th September 2022 at 12:45.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:07   #19

Hybrid GV gives only 2 km on battery EV mode if their conditions are followed (service advisor)

The Centre currently imposes a 5 percent tax on electric vehicles. On the other hand, mild hybrids attract 29 percent tax and strong hybrids attract 43 percent tax. For internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, the tax rate is 29 percent for sub-4m vehicles with 1.2-litre engines or lesser, 31 percent for sub-4m vehicles with 1.5-litre engines or lesser, 45 percent for vehicles longer than 4m, but with 1.5-litre engines or lesser, and 48 percent for 4m-plus vehicles with engines larger than 1.5 litres.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd October 2022 at 10:16. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
drtjm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I Voted for the Mild Hybrid as that is the version which gets AWD though with Manual Transmission. This makes it a unique offering in the market with little competition in its price segment. In my view AWD is as much a safety feature on some of our rain drenched, pot holed and muddy highways as offering greater go anywhere
I am pretty sure you wont see the AWD engaged on muddy/ rain conditions on highways. A 2wd can do the job just as well. Unless you are really getting into slush/ mud/ dirt on the side of the highway.
Old 21st November 2022, 21:29   #21
Team-BHP Support

I will pick whatever is made available. The current delivery time on Toyota seems to be crazy and by January we should see a price increase to cover up any differential between Toyota/ Maruti
Old 21st November 2022, 21:29   #22
BHPian

For the people, who are on the fence between the two different hybrid varients, I will link a video below by ZigWheels. Take a look.

KSUY[url="https://

Last edited by Mr.U : 21st November 2022 at 21:30.
Mr.U is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtjm View Post
Strong hybrids attract 43 percent tax.
This will change next budget. The recommendation is to get the taxation close to pure electric cars. This will make the strong hybrids much more competitive with respect to electric & diesel cars. Right now a lobbying war is going on between the Desi twins & the Japanese twins on this. The Desi twins are not in favor of this change.
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:57   #24
BHPian

For people living in Delhi NCR, with a budget of 20Lac, and heavy mile munchers with in city, strong hybrid or an Electric car is no brainer.

I was looking of a car within 20LACs to replace my fluidic verna diesel (2014 model), since last 1 year and I kept a deadline of April 2023 , the day my car turns 9years to replace my car. I kept searching/test driving for almost a year and couldn't convince myself to get any of the ones available.

My requirements were
1. Petrol car. Diesel cars in Delhi NCR are treated like a punching bag. First the valid registration of my car was reduced from 15years to 10years and whenever there is pollution within city for whatever reasons, diesel cars are punished by the confused authorities.

2. Compact SUV or a mid size SUV. I have driven sedans throughout last 15years but somehow after driving an SUV they felt a lot more comfortable for long distance daily driving.

3. Automatic. Although I love manuals and the enthusiasm they offer but now that I have turned 40years, my knees have started hurting specially in traffic jams in the evening. And after 15years of enthusiastic driving I have started loving sedate style of driving.

4. Fuel efficient: I drive around 1500-2000 kms per month. My present car gives me around 21-23kms/litre( as per the MID )of diesel even in traffic jams , it can't be better than that.
5. Safe , strong and well built.

6. Long term reliability. I like to keep my car for long duration. I don't like to change often, for not just economic reasons but also the hassles of test driving new cars every now and then.

90% of my driving is with city with just 10% highway leisure trips. I have a family of 4 adults and a 4 year kid. Again I drive solo for almost 70% of time, 2 adults and kid rest 20% of time and all four adults with kid just around 10%(The last part is never on a highway or long distance, since my parents are 70+ they don't like long distance driving in the car).

Cars i considered and test drive.
1. XUV700- Test drove number of times but I couldn't get a relaxed driving position . I am 5feet 6inch and i think XUV700 just doesnt suite my height. Also fuel economy of petrol automatic is dismal.

2. MG hector: Brilliant car to drive, economic to maintain. Excellent view, great driving position. Well built, superb cabin space, very comfortable. Although not crash tested but feels it will surely get 4 stars as and when it's tested. Long term reliability also seems good. It ticked almost all areas but "fuel efficiency".

3. Creta/Alcazar/Seltos/Carens/Sonet/Hyundai venue. All are well built, with value for money offering, great driving position and comforts but with just 3 star crash testing rating I was not comfortable and fuel economy is just ok not great, DCT gearboxes have reliability issues too.

4. Maruti brezza. This one ticked almost all boxes . Crash test Safety 4 stars, compact SUV, most fuel efficient among the lot , reliable torque converter automatic. 2022 model just look too good too. But just a fun part, whenever I saw brezza it appeared a slightly inflated swift with bigger size tyres. I mean is it really a compact SUV or hatchback with big tyres. Automatic brezza is lacking in power, never feels like an SUV and look wise it appears like a hatchback only.

4. Nissan kicks : I took a test drive and automatic is too slow , not fit even for a sedate driving. Nissan is also treating it like a neglected orphan child.

5. Tata Nexon, XUV300. AMT felt like a circus driving, too jerky with every change of gear. Both me and my wife had a good laugh after the test drive. Don't know why can't they launch a CVT or a torque converter.

6. Ertiga/XL6. Poor crash test ratings and automatic felt low on power.

7. MG Astor. Torque converter with 3 cylinder engine felt a little jerky to me. Poor fuel efficiency too.

I never considered electric. Still feel infrastructure will take atleast 3/5 years to fully develop and those living in society flats ,unless your society has fast charging infrastructure or your parking has an electric charger arrangement(Needs support from your builder/society management). Remember despite CNG being launched almost 20 years back you still find long ques at even odd hours. Electric would be even worse for public fast charging as it takes 30minutes to charge fully even on a fast charger. And forget even 10% of my highway trips. And what about resale value or long term reliability. Your car may be technically dead after 8 years of battery warranty getting over. Sorry manufacturers I need atleast 10-15years of battery warranty. So electric car atleast 5/10years from now for me or may be I need to keep atleast two cars one electric other petrol for emergency use.

So finally came Hyryder/Grand vitara and it suits me the best in present scenario.
1. Compact SUV of adequate size.
2. Hybrids with mouth watering in city fuel economy.
3. In city driving dynamics are good both power/handling/Suspension.
4. Automatic eCVT felt just as good as DCT in city driving or even better. Better then CVT too.
5. Expect atleast 4star or more crash test rating after all made on brezza platform.
6. Safety wise Hyryder G-Hybrid seems to have everything which competition offers.

Now why Hyryder or grand vitara

Benefits of getting Hyryder instead of Grand vitara (Both cars manufactured by Toyota only)

1. Variant by Variant Hyryder is cheaper by Rs50000/ compared to Grand vitara in case of strong hybrids.
2. Cosmetically finishing, looks are better in Toyota. Rest 90% parts are same in both cars.
3. Hyryder has free 3years warranty+ 2years paid extended warranty+ 2years extra warranty after completion of 5years at service centre level. Always buy maximum warranty for new technologies. Grand vitara has free 2years+3 years paid.
4. Toyota insurance is the only one which offers zero dep for 7/9 years.
5. Toyota insurance is the only one which offers battery/hybrid cover insurance add-on.
6. Toyota service centres already knows how to service strong hybrids cars. After all this technology is by Toyota only,who are world leaders in strong hybrids. They already have experience of servicing Camry(the only strong hybrid in India).

So finally booked expecting delivery in March/April.

I am also expecting reduction in taxes on hybrids next year so that might sweeten the deal even more. In both UP and haryana state cabinets are thinking about considering strong hybrids as electric only and even Toyota is lobbying hard with central government for reduction in GST.
drsachin is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 23:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
6. Toyota service centres already knows how to service strong hybrids cars. After all this technology is by Toyota only,who are world leaders in strong hybrids. They already have experience of servicing Camry(the only strong hybrid in India).
T.
I always wondered what should be the key differentiator between the both Strong Hybrid SUVs that can be the decision maker, and now I know it’s #6. It convinced me why one should go for Toyota Hyryder over Grand Vitara. Very nice observation sir kudos to that .
But still most people will go for Grand Vitara, as it comes from most trusted OEM in India.
Those who are planning to buy either of these SUVs should consider this point as well.

Last edited by Kaus2002 : 27th November 2022 at 23:09. Reason: Correction
Kaus2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 13:37   #26
BHPian

Hello all. I have bought the MT 5speed mild (weak) hybrid AWD. This was the only variant with AWD, in fact at this price bracket. Have driven 900 odd kms in the last 2 weeks and the car never felt out of breath and i feel is enough for highways. Power delivery is linear but for my sedate driving style(80 -100kmph) i have found this adequate. It has most features and most importantly all safety features so no complains there. The panoramic sunroof is actually big but I'm not sticking out my head anytime.

I went with the Toyota Hyryder over the Maruti because of the warranty policy and a general sense of reliability for Toyota products.
Delivery experience was awesome and 1st service ws prompt and quick.
Looking forward to many many miles of happy tripping.
Yogi..Reeturaj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks