Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 22:32   #121
BANNED

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
I had shown the same to the dealer but they themselves said that they are not getting kits for the base variant and can only get one in M sport guise.
LCI production starts from April next year. So you can expect only the remaining stock to be available. I have seen a few newly registered SportX 40i in Ludhiana ,maybe some are still in stock with other dealers.
Old 21st November 2022, 14:28   #122
BHPian

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

The previous generation Jeep Grand Cherokee was very 'similar' to the Mercedes ML-Class (new moniker for which is GLE) because it was the same company back then - Daimler-Chrysler.

Ergo this new Jeep Grand Cherokee does indeed have direct comparisons with the current Mercedes GLE provided we recognize that one is meant also as a square-jawed pukka-ish SUV (because it's a Jeep) while the other is more a heavily over-engineered luxo-soft-roader (because it's a Mercedes).

This Grand Cherokee is based on a beefed-up - for-off/bad-roading - version of the Giorgio platform from the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. Now also the new Maserati Grecale, one that has been widely hailed as matching or bettering the BMW 3-Series, etc. in ride and handling, including with this very 2.0 turbo-petrol (Alfa Giulia and Stelvio).

Ergo 'comparisons' with BMW are valid too. Except that this is a pukka-ish SUV (because it's a Jeep) while BMW X5 is a sporty SUV like the very well-reviewed Alfa Stelvio.

Similar things can be said vis a vis Range Rover models or say the Volvo XC90 (because it's a Jeep / because it's a Volvo). They are all comparable and commensurate (in size and price if nothing else), but each has integrity as Brand Identity Authentic and so:

Comparisons must stop at one's identification with this or that brand identity/authenticity claim in form and content.

So Jeep is no more presumptuous than say, BMW or Volvo or Mercedes at staking a claim to this tiny sliver of a market that prefers in a very nearly absolute sense.

The Toyota Fortuner!

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2023 at 06:44. Reason: Edited for better readability
Old 21st November 2022, 23:42   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
BMW X5 is just 2-3 lakhs away, with it's better in every way 3L petrol. Sure it would have lesser features but I'd rather have lesser features than live with a wheezy engine.
On paper 2L jeep engine might sound good, but in real life, it would neither provide good driving experience nor efficiency.

And Jeep isn't known for it's solid reliability and dependability either. I, personally, would spend 5-10 lakh more on a different brand. Grand Cherokee doesn't have any compelling USP for me to gloss over the well established brands (known devils and all that).
Valid points. But, I don't think the engine will be wheezy. If the gearing is right, this SUV will be fast and responsive with the 270 hp engine. I wouldn't be surprised if it does under 7 seconds 0 to 60mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niruvrs9669 View Post
Response below;

My opinion when I compare it with a BMW X5 that I use.

I do think locally manufactured Toyota Hycross-Hybrid would be a great value proposition to the Indian market. Let’s wait till 25th Nov.
After driving an X3 M40i, X5 without the air suspension and with the air suspension back to back in the US over broken roads, I would expect the ride quality to be pretty jarring without the air suspension here in India for the base variant of the X5. I love the BMW X5 with its split tailgate, inline six, the eight speed, 50/50 weight balance between the front and rear and the general driving dynamics, but, with the air suspension.

I wouldn't even think of buying a Toyota HyCross if I were in the market for the Jeep. May be an X3 or Q5 or GLC possibly, but, not the HyCross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The roof liner, the leather quality, and the seats & door panels look & feel very basic. Central audio and other controls on the dash, though, look very nice and premium. I could not check the passenger-side display, but it should be good. There was no sound or vibrations from the engine while standing, so the insulation must be good.

I could not drive one as the Demo is being prepared, so I will reserve my opinion, but surely it can't come anywhere near an X5 in whatever trim you choose.
Great that you were able to check the GC out. With all the extra features Jeep put in to this GC for India, I wonder why they didn't straight go for the L version with seven seats. Perhaps there are tax implications? I think that would have been a good differentiation even with a couple of lakhs more for the 7 seater. Usable space behind the third row too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
So JEEP is no more presumptuous than say BMW or Volvo or Mercedes at staking a claim to this tiny sliver of a market that prefers in a very nearly absolute sense....

....The TOYOTA Fortuner!
While the Fortuner is not in this class, to each his own I guess. Such a poorly equipped vehicle with bullock cart driving dynamics. Yeah, it has bullet proof reliability, but, life is more than riding a bullock cart that never breaks down . Toyota has better options, but, not just for India.

Last edited by THE-U- : 21st November 2022 at 23:43.
THE-U- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:47   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see the Jeep Grand Cherokee finally making an entry into India.

Back in early 2018, I was planning to buy a car here in US, it was in my shortlist as it felt quite desirable back then.

I took a detailed test drive and only thing that impressed me was the power delivery. Other than that, car had basic interiors but, its exteriors looked rugged and very handsome.

Grand Cherokee had so many variants and when I did an apple to apple comparison with Mazda CX-9 which was my other active shortlist, I was getting a better driving dynamics but, less on power (250 Horsepower) and feature loaded for top of line for $45,000.

Whereas, the Grand Cherokee top of line was $55,000 with comparable features. Also the dealership experience was abysmal and no interest to sell the car.

So I took the decision to buy the CX-9 which served us well for over 50K miles.

Our Mazda CX-9, this car was amazing to drive. I fondly call it a poor man's BMW.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_7039_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_7042_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_7040_original.jpg

This was the Grand Cherokee that I did a detailed test drive. Good Power and Steering Wheel feel but, rest of parameters wasn't impressive.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6611_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6609_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6612_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6607_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6618_original.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-img_6619_original.jpg

My 2 cents :

I am surprised to note the 2022 version that is released in India seems to have taken a step backwards from exterior design perspective, especially the wheels look so basic. They seem to have done some minor interior updates (gear shifter, steering wheel etc). Other than that, doesn't look worth the price.

For > 80 Lakhs price in India, I would recommend a BMW X3 or X5 any day.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:30   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I would expect the ride quality to be pretty jarring without the air suspension here in India for the base variant of the X5.
X5 comes with rear air suspension. The ride quality is pretty decent. However, it isn't a sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I wouldn't even think of buying a Toyota HyCross if I were in the market for the Jeep. May be an X3 or Q5 or GLC possibly, but, not the HyCross.
Perceptions keep changing with time & age . I would think HyCross would be a great addition to any garage. I would certainly buy it over an unreliable Jeep GC.
Old 27th November 2022, 00:22   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Looks like ECU, is it? If it is, then a good collision will get very very costly. Why didn't they mount it on inside frame?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-screenshot_20221127001530_chrome.jpg  

Old 29th November 2022, 15:36   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

New Jeep Grand Cherokee media drive reviews drops on 6th December at 12pm.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-fb_img_1669716200135.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-fb_img_1669716204538.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-fb_img_1669716207289.jpg

Link
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:16   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

There are always a few Easter eggs hidden on a Jeep, and here we have the silhouettes of all 5 generations of the Grand Cherokee.

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221203_191411.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks