Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 14:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

New Jeep Grand Cherokee TVC

Official pictures

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221117_145941.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221117_145949.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221117_145951.jpg

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-20221117_145954.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 17th November 2022 at 15:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:19   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs

Grand Cherokee vs competitors in terms of pricing:

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee caught testing in India. Edit: Launched at 77.5 lakhs-b20457a3c4564dc6b9601b276112ba9e.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:52   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The idea is sell a few at high margins in india WHILE re-exporting to right hand drive markets like Japan, Australia, South Africa etc where sales volumes for this nameplate ("Grand Cherokee") will be much higher than India. The US$ strength versus especially the yen and the aussie$ is a curse for Ford, GM and exFCA and has been for years.

CKD assembly in India helps with margins on re-exports, while boosting sustainable profitability somewhat for Stellantis andor its dealers in India.

GM and Ford have left India, and are by now residual even in RHD Australia and Japan. India as (re)export RHD hub is designed to avoid that fate for JEEP, given the pre existing Tata FIAT jv plant at Ranjangaon. Stellantis is vacating China, instead!

Makes financial sense i think.

The Indian market needs a mass market model like the JEEP Avenger bev (twinned with the Citroen C3), instead. For sales volumes if not for profits?!
The point on (re)exports makes ample sense. However, I still do not understand how will these low numbers in the domestic market even cover the cost of marketing campaign, launch, and even spare stock costs. That is the math I fail to get.

Based on the export logic it makes sense to just use the manufacturing base. Why sink costs in launching if there is no intention to sell? That is my question.

At around 65-70 L On Road, this would have given a tough competition to Fortuner. But with the price difference, it is hardly a threat.

For example, being a user of 3.2 Endeavour, I was looking forward to this as a replacement and would have happily stretched to 70L given Fortuner is close to 60L OTR in Bangalore. Now I do not even want to visit the showroom as this is beyond my reach.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th November 2022 at 15:56.
nareshtrao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:57   #79
BHPian

There are no 4wd lock, hill descent and 4low buttons in the centre console. There is just the hold button. Did they just get the basic variant with only traction control to India ?
Reference - https://www.jeep-india.com/new-grand...MaAnUjEALw_wcB

Last edited by ChetanM6 : 17th November 2022 at 16:00.
ChetanM6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 16:03   #80
BHPian

Lovely launch.
Unpopular opinion: this is aptly priced.

The engine has more grunt than equally priced F pace, comparable grunt to Gle300d which is 86L ex showroom, less grunt than v6 X5 but then its X-line variant is 95L ex showroom.

What it instead provides is robust build, synonymous with Jeep brand name, first in class passenger side media screen, Jeep’s renowned suspension and a head turning potential which the rivals don’t have (no offence. My personal opinion)

When I am in market, this will be a great contender to, say a Velar (the engine is sour spot there). Perhaps F pace will win for me but Cherokee will give out strong contention
Tutenkhamen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:01   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Its all nice saying they are locally assembling if the prices don't reflect that at all.
The previous generation Grand Cherokee Limited was originally launched in India at a price of Rs. 94 lakhs through CBU route.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:02   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

After all the pre-launch PR hype of "competitive price" Jeep has not delivered on their promise.
I think a price of 69.99L would have been an attractive introduction especially since this does not even have air suspension, which is my biggest disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post

The engine has more grunt than equally priced F pace,

Perhaps F pace will win for me but Cherokee will give out strong contention
Being a F pace owner, I was actually thinking of replacing my car with the Jeep Cherokee if it was priced better and offered air suspension.

The problem in the luxury segment right now is the herd mentality of each car maker. The F pace is highly overpriced currently and I for one would never buy it at the current price. The market went crazy past 2 years and car makers got high headed, they will soon pay the price of this IMO.

By next year this time this Cherokee will most likely be at a handsome discount.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th November 2022 at 18:04.
Sahil is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 19:09   #83
BHPian

Keeping the price, Jeep quality control, reliability and after sales service experience aside, this is actually a very very attractive and almost complete car. This car has everything you'll ever need to tour India, do a bit of off-roading and with that engine it can fly if you wanted it to. IMO more than the price itself, the major hurdle for the buyer here is the hit or miss Jeep ownership experience.
bordeaux is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 20:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
this does not even have air suspension.
Damn. It doesn’t? That’s a deal breaker

Jeep India site does state HUD, 360 camera though. Ventilated and heated front seats. Only heated back seats. Bit strange given our 10+ month climate through the year.

Just hoping trailhawk / SRT variants land here undercutting RR Sport and G wagon 350d
Old 17th November 2022, 20:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Keeping the price, Jeep quality control, reliability and after sales service experience aside, this is actually a very very attractive and almost complete car. This car has everything you'll ever need to tour India, do a bit of off-roading and with that engine it can fly if you wanted it to. IMO more than the price itself, the major hurdle for the buyer here is the hit or miss Jeep ownership experience.
As a recent Jeep owner I respectfully disagree. I owned a top range Compass S 4x4 and that thing struggled big time off the beaten track. the GC is just not sufficient for anything other than softroading. the 4L is just electronic trickery and not proper 4L.

As regards a pan India tourer, how would you feel if while driving on the highway your car suddenly, on its own, shifts to 4L (thankfully the speed was slow at that time else the GB would have gone kaput), when a 2 month old car develops issues with AC and reverse gear, when the car rattles like an old man's dentures on a cobbled road, when warning lights suddenly come on for no reason and car goes into limp mode!

Sorry, but Jeep and peace of mind dont work together. I sued Jeep, got a reasonable exit, bought a Fortuner and I sleep easy now

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 17th November 2022 at 20:48.
himanshugoswami is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
As a recent Jeep owner I respectfully disagree. I owned a top range Compass S 4x4 and that thing struggled big time off the beaten track. the GC is just not sufficient for anything other than softroading. the 4L is just electronic trickery and not proper 4L.
I think you completely agreed with my statement there. This is the hit or miss Jeep reliability and their ability to solve problems I mentioned in my post. The higher than expected price of Cherokee is not that much of an issue here. It's the reliability.

I am really happy to know that you got out of this horror movie sooner than later!
bordeaux is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 22:09   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post
Lovely launch.
Unpopular opinion: this is aptly priced.

The engine has more grunt than equally priced F pace, comparable grunt to Gle300d which is 86L ex showroom, less grunt than v6 X5 but then its X-line variant is 95L ex showroom.
A point to be noted is that the F pace feels outdated now. Don't know what the people at JLR are doing. They are just concentrating on the Land Rover and no new products for Jaguar (the I-pace is 4 years old now). Apart from that, the grand cherokee looks like a meridian on steroids (my personal outlook). I don't personally think this product will attract costumers who'll buy it for it's looks and road presence cuz unless the person will look at the name of the car, he'll mistake it for a meridian only.
Old 17th November 2022, 23:28   #88
BHPian

Sometimes it's not really for sale. It's for brand building, long term play to see if they can build an aspirational brand or will they get slotted somewhere in between. Maruthi also once sold a Kizashi to see if people can relate to an Maruthi as an aspirational brand. Jeep maybe trying to see if the mindset movement of its brand can be in a league higher than where they are today. They don't have a sub 30L product, so maybe just testing upper limits.
It helps if you are trying to position yourself as a true blue off roader brand, something like RE has tried to do with touring bikes.
Maybe they want to be the e-SUV brand in the future, get a heads on with Big T, they also have Ford to keep off the bay when that happens. Until then they might want to create Jeep with a brand recall for off-road, rugged yet, premium SUV (sub Rover price brand). Now, with these models how much of that they can do, only time will tell.
man_and_machine is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 04:15   #89
BHPian

Jeep India, making "real" Luxury brands look value for money since 2016.

I get that the for-profit-corporations can price it however they want, but I mean the nerve to price this 2-row Grand Cherokee thing with a puny 2.0 liter turbo 4 banger, only a couple of lakhs cheaper to the BMW X5s / Mercedes Benz GLEs of the world is just ridiculous.

In the US, a reasonably equipped Grand Cherokee Limited trim 4x4 comes in around $53k (with a V6 engine and standard developed market creature comforts), compared to an X5 or GLE that comes in around $65-70k (similarly equipped). That's at least a 40-50% premium.

So either the X5/GLE is ridiculously underpriced or....

Vote with your wallet (or feet) my dear friends!
inwester is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 09:10   #90
BHPian

2L turbo petrol hybrid for 1CR+ OTR, amounts to an incredibly special experience.

One that involves letting loose with the wallet and getting mediocre in return.

Given that Jeep tops unreliability charts in 1st world countries, and ownership reports of entry level models here appear sprinkled with a flatbed trip or two (right after delivery no less), they needed to thrill Indians with exotic powertrains (at the very least), to make this price point palatable.

Last edited by GoBlue : 18th November 2022 at 09:19.
GoBlue is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks