Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2022, 12:47   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India

Scoop! Production-spec Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door spotted

The Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door was recently spotted in Delhi. These images of the car caught our attention, as unlike the prototypes we’ve seen so far, this could be the actual production version.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img20221116005203.jpg

The Jimny 5-door was snapped as it was being off-loaded from a trailer. While the SUV is still under covers, it’s not the type of camouflage we usually see on test mules. Therefore, we suspect, it could be a production-spec Jimny 5-door.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img20221116005132.jpg

The Jimny 5-door is expected to debut at Auto Expo 2023. Once launched, it will compete with the Mahindra Thar in the Indian market.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img20221116005140.jpg

The Jimny 5-door is expected to be offered with the 1.5-litre K15C engine from the Grand Vitara. It will be paired with Suzuki’s AllGrip Pro 4-wheel drive system.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-img20221116005137.jpg

Thanks to Manoj for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 1st December 2022 at 12:53.
TusharK is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 18:38   #242
BHPian

Yup that's definitely the production version. We got to see Brezza back in May-June with same coverings before the unveil later that month.
noblebeam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 19:30   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebeam View Post
Yup that's definitely the production version. We got to see Brezza back in May-June with same coverings before the unveil later that month.
I believe the 5 door Jimny will launch during or after the Auto Expo 2023.
Old 1st December 2022, 20:55   #244
BHPian

First time eagerly waiting for a MS car to unwrap, never know how things change. Hope the car retains its international credentials and MS does'nt dilute the brand.
bullitt1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:10   #245
BHPian

Looking at the success of 3 door Thar, Maruti should add the original 3 door Jimmy also - this version embodies the essence of the vehicle's main appeal - as a cute but gutsy soft roader / lifestyle vehicle. The 5 door version, though practical, looks ungainly and contrived.
jessie007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:55   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

New information on the Jimmy trickles in as launch nears,

- Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door to come in 4 variants
- Zeta petrol-manual/- Zeta petrol-automatic/- Alpha petrol-manual/ Alpha petrol-automatic
-The Zeta variant of the Jimny 5-door will offer all the essential features whereas the top-spec Alpha variant is likely to pack a couple of feel-good features.
- The Jimny 5-door is likely to offer features like a touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, 4-wheel-drive low, locking front and rear differentials, rear AC vents, rear centre armrest and a tailgate-mounted spare wheel
- Expect the Jimny 5-door to offer the new 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission over the Jimny 3-door’s 4-speed torque converter automatic transmission.
- The prices of the Jimny 5-door are likely to start from Rs. 12.50 lakh and go up to Rs. 15.50 lakh

Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door caught testing in India-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd December 2022 at 19:59.
volkman10 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:45   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- The prices of the Jimny 5-door are likely to start from Rs. 12.50 lakh and go up to Rs. 15.50 lakh

Attachment 2386236
Cool, I was worried that the exshowroom prices would be under 10L or 10.xxL for the base version. That would have been an oops moment for me If there's a Delta variant that could still shock me

But I hope not!!
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 21:07   #248
BHPian

Quote:
- Expect the Jimny 5-door to offer the[b] new 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission [/url]

Thank you! Would you know if that will be mild hybrid as well and when they would start taking bookings?
Old 3rd December 2022, 23:24   #249
BHPian

Quote:
- locking front and rear differentials
Locking front and rear differentials? Seriously? I couldn’t be any happier! Even the 3-door Jimny, that’s available internationally, doesn’t come with locking differentials. I hope the source of the news is referring to mechanically-locking differentials rather than brake-locking differentials.

If the news is indeed true, the 5-door Jimny would be among the very few vehicles on the planet to have mechanically-locking differentials at the front and rear. As far as I remember, there are only four vehicles on sale that have differential lockers on both the axles: Mercedes Benz G Wagon, Jeep Wrangler, RAM Power Wagon, and Force Gurkha.

A differential locker, even if it is available on only a single axle, gives you a lot more control over the vehicle when driving it in extreme off-road conditions compared to not having one. I always dreamt of getting a vehicle that has 5 doors, ladder frame chassis, 4-cylinder engine mounted in longitudinal layout, a 4WD drivetrain with a transfer case, solid axles at the front and rear, differential lockers on both the axles, and ESP.

There are very few vehicles that have all the features that I mentioned above, and all of them are very costly (the cheapest is the Jeep Wrangler, I think), and therefore, I thought I would never be able to buy a vehicle that has all those things. But it looks like my dream will come true with the launch of the 5-door Jimny. Even if the vehicle doesn’t come with differential lockers, I hope that it at least comes with solid axles at the front and rear, just like the international 3-door version, so that I can install air lockers on them.

If Jimny does come with all these things, like the leaks are suggesting, I’m immediately selling my Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDi VGT 6AT GTX Plus and getting the Jimny. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by AbidIqbalShaik : 3rd December 2022 at 23:33. Reason: Corrected a grammatical mistake.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:09   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

So they have not decided to chase sheer volumes. Guess they wanted to protect the Brezza and Grand Vitara while keeping the Jimny/Gypsy as a niche product. Who knows, they may still launch a Delta or even Sigma by keeping it RWD only.

The pricing and variant spread is spot on, though am not sure of the news source. Front and rear locking differentials? Am sure the international Jimny doesn't have them.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:19   #251
BHPian

How difficult / feasible is it for Maruti to plonk the 100+ horses 1.0 Boosterjet / 90+ horses 1.2 Dualjet engine under Jimny's hood and price it super aggressively cashing in on the sub-4m vehicle classification rule(a joke!).

Apologies if I have missed the discussion on the topic.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:44   #252
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

We ‘jeepy people’ seem to be quite spoilt for choice suddenly.
First the 3 door Thar came and broke all barriers. Then they will bring the 5 door Thar which will further democratise Jeepy things.
Cant wait for the 5 door Jimny which really should be worthy of all the hype considering how crazy people abroad are for it. Then if they bring in the 3 door Jimny that will be the icing on the cake.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:54   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door spied in India ahead of Auto Expo 2023 debut.
Maybe a little to late for Maruti to enter in this segment. A 5 seater Jimmy may cause some aficionados to sway away (same for me). However will wait and watch for it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th December 2022 at 10:00. Reason: Post formatting
Travellertrippe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 11:01   #254
BHPian

This is what I was waiting for since ages. I do have some modifications planned beforehand ��

Just need to wait and watch the pricing and 4wd/Awd options. I hope Maruti doesn't offer any 2wd drive only variant, as it will hurt the uniqueness of jimny as a niche brand.
Old 4th December 2022, 11:21   #255
BHPian

Jimny 5 doors is what the compact sedans were to the hatchbacks a decade back. Just elongated versions of the original cars resulting in an assault on the visual senses. I wouldn't even give this a second look but I'll book the 3 for door without even test driving it.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks