Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 11:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass prices hiked by around Rs. 90,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Don't agree here. Look wise Harrier looks better IMO. Also Interiors of Jeep are not so great, I sat in 2 Jeep Compass & found nothing to be great for that price. Brand wise, I don't think Jeep is very well established brand as such in India like Merc, BMW etc. Also Harrier has better road presence and more space, better seating position as well. Maintenance costs will also be less for Tata car and service availability also will be more. Less price means less Insurance amount every year too.
Yes, any day Harrier or XUV 700 will be more VFM compared to Compass. Looks and Road presence are all subjective so I won't comment on it.

"More space" for less money is such a flawed logic that I always fail to understand. Like Crazy driver mentioned in the previous post, ideal size depends on your use case. Going by your logic everyone with a budget north of 50L should be buying a Toyota Fortuner or Hilux.

Coming to the interiors, you have either tried out the pre face lift interior or are being a little bisaed here. Harrier's interior comes no where close to Compass's. Interior of Compass is one of the best in the segment. Also, ASS for Tata is incomparable to anything else. Jeep's ASS in most cities like bangalore are quite good and customer focussed. Of course this premium reflects in the product price.

It's good to call out if a product is over priced, which I agree Compass is, but let's not go over board with unnecessary bashing.
Rookie_Jeeper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 12:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Then you are an exception here. Everyone who's sat in my compass has been wowed by the interior, and that includes hatchback owners as well as luxury car owners.
May be. If I pay 35-40 Lakhs for a car, I will definitely expect more than what it is offering. For that price, I didn't find it worth, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agree but therein lies the problem also.

Harrier is a full size larger than the Compass. Great for road presence and bad for parking requirements - especially in the cities. The perspective depends on individual requirements. Many cases including mine where the Harrrier just wouldn't fit in the parking lot.

Ideally I feel Harrier and Safari should have been differentiated more in terms of size - the length at least. The #Dark edition AT and even the XUV 7OO/Scorpio is excellent VFM compared to the Compass, but none of these parameters matter if the car doesn't fit in the parking lot.
That's your use case. For me, I have large parking space where Fortuner can also fit, so no issues for me. IMHO Harrier offers more for its price than Compass. For parking outside, Harrier takes little more space than Compass. It's not like Nano, Alto vs Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
Yes, any day Harrier or XUV 700 will be more VFM compared to Compass. Looks and Road presence are all subjective so I won't comment on it.

"More space" for less money is such a flawed logic that I always fail to understand. Like Crazy driver mentioned in the previous post, ideal size depends on your use case. Going by your logic everyone with a budget north of 50L should be buying a Toyota Fortuner or Hilux.

Coming to the interiors, you have either tried out the pre face lift interior or are being a little bisaed here. Harrier's interior comes no where close to Compass's. Interior of Compass is one of the best in the segment. Also, ASS for Tata is incomparable to anything else. Jeep's ASS in most cities like bangalore are quite good and customer focussed. Of course this premium reflects in the product price.

It's good to call out if a product is over priced, which I agree Compass is, but let's not go over board with unnecessary bashing.
For little better interiors, 10-15 Lakhs is a big price for me at least. Also top end Harrier has very good interiors, I really like it. Looks really classy. Also Size matters for me, not to showoff to somebody but for carrying my family in better comfort and to carry max luggage when I am travelling. Just my thoughts, not necessary others agree to it.

Last edited by aniketi : 6th September 2022 at 12:24.
aniketi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Also top end Harrier has very good interiors, I really like it. Looks really classy. Also Size matters for me, not to showoff to somebody but for carrying my family in better comfort and to carry max luggage when I am travelling. Just my thoughts, not necessary others agree to it.
I get that its your opinion, but in no way does the harrier have interiors befitting a 25 lac car. The infotainment system alone is worse than what even cars priced at 7 lac are offering. The quality of the leather and soft touch materials isn't as good as the XUV700, let alone the compass. The steering wheel is hard, the gear selector is plasticky and the design itself is long in the tooth. Overall, the car is unergonomic for the driver, but is a treat for the rear passengers.
sid3091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 12:28   #34
BANNED

Quote:
For little better interiors, 10-15 Lakhs is a big price for me at least.
Compass is so overrated. Compass is overpriced for what it offers. Heck the 4X4 option for which JEEP is known for touches 40 lakh mark in a compass. Competitor's have moved ahead in terms of VFM offering, which i guess customers also perceived knowing the sales numbers.

But for me reliability and niggles are bigger concern, which are abundant on a JEEP. Knowing this from personal experience.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I get that its your opinion, but in no way does the harrier have interiors befitting a 25 lac car. The infotainment system alone is worse than what even cars priced at 7 lac are offering. The quality of the leather and soft touch materials isn't as good as the XUV700, let alone the compass. The steering wheel is hard, the gear selector is plasticky and the design itself is long in the tooth. Overall, the car is unergonomic for the driver, but is a treat for the rear passengers.
As you said, that's your opinion

Frankly I find Harrier interior (Talking about top end) to be good and also the infotainment system, didn't find any issues at all.
Old 6th September 2022, 12:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agree but therein lies the problem also.

Harrier is a full size larger than the Compass. Great for road presence and bad for parking requirements - especially in the cities. The perspective depends on individual requirements. Many cases including mine where the Harrrier just wouldn't fit in the parking lot.

Ideally I feel Harrier and Safari should have been differentiated more in terms of size - the length at least. The #Dark edition AT and even the XUV 7OO/Scorpio is excellent VFM compared to the Compass, but none of these parameters matter if the car doesn't fit in the parking lot.
Whereas, many here are talking about VFM, like an average Indian customer there is no questioning that Mahindra and Tata are top in the game.
Now as an XUV 500 owner until July this year, 700 was the easiest option for me. But those mad waiting times.
Mahindra has to up their game.

These are prime years of my life (Early 40's) which I would like to spend driving , rather than endless waiting

Now coming to the compass, it was an already overpriced vehicle.

I bought it prior the July price increase : Model S Diesel 4 X 4 for about 35 on road.
The best part are the interiors, especially front cockpit.

The ride quality is brilliant ( Well earned the hype on a recent Mumbai- Igaptpuri trip)

The worse part is the minimal road presence and size.
It seems even smaller than the Creta and is what I miss the most coming from an XUV

Last edited by SDP : 5th March 2023 at 17:12. Reason: Typo : VFH -> VFM
Old 6th September 2022, 13:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you said, that's your opinion

Frankly I find Harrier interior (Talking about top end) to be good and also the infotainment system, didn't find any issues at all.
Like they say “put your money where your mouth is”, so if you find the Harrier that much better then you are better off buying one!

Not justifying price hikes by Jeep, but they will have their reasons. Maybe they want better bottomline since they are anyway selling only 900-1000 units a month. Or they want to constantly adjust for inflation and the discounts they give. Today, the exchange bonus of 50k is being borne by Jeep and not the dealer. And if sales suffers due to price hikes then its on Jeep. They may react with more offers or do something else.

And im coming back to your point on the Harrier offering much more, i have to strongly disagree. I did a test drive of the Harrier, Safari, XUV700, Scorpio-N and the Jeep Compass in the last one month ( at times back to back on the same roads ) and I can tell you that the Harrier and Safari feel very unfinished and unrefined in many ways. The XUV700 is leagues ahead of both the Tata cars and even the Scorpio-N felt better put together. In fact, cars like Altroz and Nexon seem far better than their competition, but you can never say that with Harrier and the Safari. The steering is needlessly heavy, a lot of stuff inside does not feel like it will age well etc. Personally, I absolutely love the Harrier and the Safari for the way they look. The Harrier’s Diesel AT top end is at least 5-6 lakhs cheaper than a similarly kitted Compass, and who wouldn’t want to save 5-6 lakhs? But I still did not shortlist both these cars, I wanted to but I just could not! I was left choosing between the Compass and the XUV700, and I’m finally choosing the Compass for my own reasons. Yes, I find the Compass overpriced by at least 2-4 lakhs, and I really wish there was a cheaper Compass Diesel AT without 4x4, but i don't have an option at the moment.
motorworks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 16:02   #38
BHPian

I really don't understand the logic behind bad-mouthing a Car. Every car has it's own pros and cons. It is up to you to decide which car suits you the best.

Jeep Compass is a great product for what it offers. It may look overpriced to some and still look perfectly priced to others. I personally find Jeep Compass to be perfectly priced for what it offers. It gives a perfect combination of safety, size, styling, features list, interiors and drivability with justified premium. This is something that every other mid-size SUV ( Creta and its rival ) lack. It is the first contender in "My next car" list.

Tata Harrier is also a great product. A great value for money offering with its own pros and cons. I personally love its road presence. But, for me, its cons out weigh its pros and so it is not in my list. But, that doesn't mean I start bad-mouthing it.
rAijin_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 16:14   #39
BHPian

I believe, the price worthiness of a product will be always subjective. Whether it's price matches its worthiness would differ between people. Some people would find an Iphone overly priced some would justify it.

Jeep Compass is a good product. But it is good only till it does not have any issues. If there is any problem which comes up in that machine, neither the dealership nor the OEM cares to correct it (unless you have influential people backing you up). The customer is on his own. I have been reading many such experiences since last few months. Even had one personally. Given the small numbers of sales, it is really disappointing.

So, everyone can decide for themselves, what is the price for their peace of mind for a hit or miss kind of product.

Last edited by dular : 6th September 2022 at 16:42.
dular is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 18:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
With same engine Tata Harrier is best option here. Harrier 2.0 is much improved car now and there are not many issues reported by owners. Also it is bigger and spacious than Compass and has better road presence. One can save more than 10 Lakhs here which is substantial amount, can't be ignored.
I would also like to add that Harrier's Hyundai sourced 6 speed Torque Converter gearbox is better tuned with Multijet Engine than Jeep's 9 Speed DCT.

You can get Harrier XZA at price of Compass Sport Diesel MT (if you factor in discounts).

Having said that Compass has a better steering feel though, that EPS is very well tuned, body roll is almost non existent and not to forget if you are looking for 4*4 then compass is the defacto choice.

Quote:
"More space" for less money is such a flawed logic that I always fail to understand. Like Crazy driver mentioned in the previous post, ideal size depends on your use case.
In India most of folks believe "bada hai toh behtar hai" value proposition out of money being spent is compared on all aspects. I agree with you on utility front because when i bought my Polo everyone said why not buy a bigger car at that price but my utility at that time dictated that polo was a well suited car.

Quote:
ASS for Tata is incomparable to anything else. Jeep's ASS in most cities like bangalore are quite good and customer focussed. Of course this premium reflects in the product price.
Jeep's ASS isnt good in Pune and Indore frankly. My Friends and relatives didn't have good things to say about them in NCR and even in Mumbai. Jeep ownership thread has plenty of cases highlighting poor service or niggles in their SUVs.Jeep might be doing good work in Bangalore for sure but their presence isn't as solid as Mahindra or TATA.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 6th September 2022 at 19:00.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
I'm not sure the part about resale is true. Happened to have a chat with one of the top used car platforms' CMO a few weeks ago. He mentioned that the demand for two used cars were off the charts - VW Polo and Jeep Compass.
Prices being quoted for used Jeep Compass, especially the almost new less than 2 year old models are way too high. 2021 models are quoted for almost the same price as new ones. 2020 models @ around 80%. Any models that come at a good price are snatched up immediately. A 2021 Compass 2.0 D 4x4 came up on Spinny at 29 lakhs in Mumbai and was booked and gone in a day. It's very hard to find a Compass from an individual seller. Dealers are buying up all that are coming up for sale. A small number of dealers are monopolizing Jeep. It seems every Jeep ends up with one of them.
Old 6th September 2022, 23:34   #42
BHPian

Jeep is among the fastest growing brands it it's home market (USA), obviously they are doing well and know how to market their products.

Jeep has priced the Compass quite competitively in India, it's just about 15% to 20% over the price it sells in USA. Can't say the same about any other car that's sold in USA and India - be it Camry, Civic, 5 Series or any other car.

The compass does have its share (and more) of shortcomings, however pricing isn't one of them. In fact I would want other brands to follow Jeep's footsteps when they sell an international product in India.
Old 7th September 2022, 00:09   #43
BHPian

Comparisons aside, such a huge price increase(~1.2L) definitely needs some explanation. As far I understand, there has neither been any feature additions/enhancements nor have been any mechanical changes. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Somehow i feel this price increase is going to help the harrier/safari duo sales and also a possibility of compass being discontinued eventually. It’ll be interesting to see what Jeep is planning for India operations. Hope they don’t end up like Fiat/Chevrolet or Ford.
techmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 00:37   #44
BHPian

Compass was priced competitively at launch. But that was then. There was not much competition and the initial euphoria for a brand like jeep helped.

With the production being done in India, the regular price hikes make no sense. Infact I was hoping from Jeep to start cutting prices now, since they must have recovered most of plant set up costs. The numbers are going down everyday, so it only makes sense for Jeep to cut prices and increase market share.

But I think everyone today wants to walk down Toyota's footsteps. Keep hiking prices and make people think that expensive must be better.

No matter how I look at it, this much money for a compass seems unfair, unless they had something unique to offer, like a 5 cylinder or twin turbo engine.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 09:43   #45
BHPian

Sadly, FCA is not investing enough in having decent service centres. But at the same time they are increasing the cost of the vehicles.

Any customer would be deceived when He/She visits the showrooms, which suggest that the product and brand are absolutely premium. However when one visits their service centers, the price rise simply does not feel justified.

Obviously there has always been a higher demand for the sport variant than longitude, but dealers were always trying to push the longitude variant and encourage customers to go for longitude or higher by falsely claiming that sport variant is going to be discontinued.

The sport variant with what it offers felt completely value for money when it was priced at 17 lakh this time last year. but now for 19.29 lakh ex. showroom people would just put 2L more and go for a harrier XT+ or a MG Hector.

I believe MG service is better sorted out than Jeep and Tata has multiple service centres in the same city in most places. So if one is not happy with a particular service center then he can get it serviced from the other. Jeep has just one service center in major cities only and looking at customer feedbacks including my own, the cars seem exorbitantly priced for the paint quality, niggles and abysmal service.
argchoff is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks