Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 09:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass prices hiked by around Rs. 90,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Jeep compass has become a status symbol now and increased prices only mean more exclusivity, similar to Fortuner. Sadly, Compass has neither the reliability nor the resale value so middle class owners are going to be in for a surprise.
I'm not sure the part about resale is true. Happened to have a chat with one of the top used car platforms' CMO a few weeks ago. He mentioned that the demand for two used cars were off the charts - VW Polo and Jeep Compass.
fast&curious is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jokes apart, competition has moved up as well. While the Tucson was recently positioned much higher than earlier generation from 27.69 to 34.39 ex- showroom, the C5 Aircross is also expected to move up significantly from 37 lakh to Rs 40 lakh range when the facelift is launched next week. Compass is inching towards the end of it's lifecycle though and Jeep cannot hope to match these products in terms of pricing and still sell.
Well, in all fairness at least for Aircross and Tucson, the price hikes can be somewhat justified by launch of facelifts/next generation. On the contrary, the price hikes for Compass are on the same product, i.e. facelift Compass 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
So compass is the now the product where the final drop of juice is being drawn-out.
I believe so too.

Since I had been in the market for a car since last one year, I made a small comparison on the price hikes of the models I was interested in (over a period of around 1 year). Below are the prices (ex-showroom) around Jul-Aug 2021 timeframe and the current prices:
Jeep Compass Sport DCT: 19.69L -> 21.87L (~11% hike)
Jeep Compass Limited DCT: 23.49 -> 25.69L (~9.3% hike)
Harrier XTA+: 19.14L -> 19.49L (~1.8% hike)
Harrier XZA+: 20.81L -> 21.69 (~4.2% hike)
Seltos GTX+ DCT: 17.44L -> 17.99L (~3.1% hike)
dular is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It is almost as if Jeep took our pricing criticism of the Meridian to the heart. The price difference between Compass and Meridian was too much at around 7 lakhs and we had given feedback during the review that it should be max 5L. Now they have reduced it as requested, but instead of slashing Meridian price, Compass was increased to match!
Now that the price of Compass have moved up, they have the price range for their baby JEEP. I am guessing 15-25L & upto 30L, if they decide to bring the 4xe (Electric) version also.
arif_t01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
I'm not sure the part about resale is true. Happened to have a chat with one of the top used car platforms' CMO a few weeks ago. He mentioned that the demand for two used cars were off the charts - VW Polo and Jeep Compass.
I have been keeping an eye on used cars on a variety of websites and so far the ones with the highest demand which are moving no matter how crazy the price is : Ford endeavour 3.2, diesel Innova crystas and fortuners, lightly used current gen bmws and mercs (due to long waiting times for new ones / unavailability of supply and rich people who absolutely need it right then and there)
These cars are priced almost on par with or just as high as brand new ones and there is barely any wiggle room for negotiation.

The cars which are barely moving and are priced reasonably (like all cars were before the post pandemic craziness) are Jaguars, Jeep compass, Tata harriers/Safaris, Mahindra Alturas. More supply than demand for them so even just calling them up will immediately have them lowering price since people are desperate to get rid of them.

These observations are only for my home state of Kerala. It should vary wildly by state of course.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:42   #20
BANNED

With same engine Tata Harrier is best option here. Harrier 2.0 is much improved car now and there are not many issues reported by owners. Also it is bigger and spacious than Compass and has better road presence. One can save more than 10 Lakhs here which is substantial amount, can't be ignored.
Old 5th September 2022, 13:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
With same engine Tata Harrier is best option here. Harrier 2.0 is much improved car now and there are not many issues reported by owners. Also it is bigger and spacious than Compass and has better road presence. One can save more than 10 Lakhs here which is substantial amount, can't be ignored.
Most of the folks including yours truly buy Jeep Compass because of the looks, brand equity, exclusivity and interiors. Plus a decent DCT option which is awesome on highways and not available in Harrier. Same goes for few other cars also in this price range. If one will only at value and savings, like a lot of forum members say, you can get pretty good options below 20 lacs. It is a zero sum game and for most of petrol heads more of a heart vs head situation. I intend to keep my cars for 7-8 years and would not want to have any regrets during that period.
Anand2712 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:16   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand2712 View Post
Most of the folks including yours truly buy Jeep Compass because of the looks, brand equity, exclusivity and interiors. Plus a decent DCT option which is awesome on highways and not available in Harrier. Same goes for few other cars also in this price range. If one will only at value and savings, like a lot of forum members say, you can get pretty good options below 20 lacs. It is a zero sum game and for most of petrol heads more of a heart vs head situation. I intend to keep my cars for 7-8 years and would not want to have any regrets during that period.
Don't agree here. Look wise Harrier looks better IMO. Also Interiors of Jeep are not so great, I sat in 2 Jeep Compass & found nothing to be great for that price. Brand wise, I don't think Jeep is very well established brand as such in India like Merc, BMW etc. Also Harrier has better road presence and more space, better seating position as well. Maintenance costs will also be less for Tata car and service availability also will be more. Less price means less Insurance amount every year too.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I expect the demand of compass will get some hit in coming months. Few reasons:

1. Product plagued by quality issues. Word of mouth is strong with social media and you tubers. Good design language will help just till some extent
You have summed it up nicely but I would disagree with you on some of the points highlighted by you.
Yes a couple of customers have faced issues recently which is a tad concerning but youtubers neither purchase cars nor drive them long enough to judge how good/bad a car is. Everyone uses the same template for their reviews whether they review a Compass or a Celerio. They do not make much sense to me.
Yes I agree the pricing has gone up because there is no realistic competition in the segment when it comes to drive feel/dynamics and build quality. The Koreans do not hold a candle to the Compass.
Also Jeep does not have a single product portfolio. They have 3 in India with the Meridian getting a lions share of the interest in their showrooms these days.
Baddychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 20:14   #24
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Study of Jeep Compass price movement

Name:  1.png
Views: 1049
Size:  6.3 KB
  • Average monthly volume dropped by 57% since the launch in 2017
Name:  3.png
Views: 1041
Size:  26.2 KB
  • During the product life cycle, including the early 2021 facelift, the weighted average price of the Jeep Compass has gone up by 16%, including feature changes
Jeep Compass prices hiked by around Rs. 90,000-2.png
  • Theoretically: price elasticity of Jeep Compass stands at 3.7, i.e., for every 1% price increase, volume drops by 3.7%.

Last edited by pqr : 5th September 2022 at 20:21. Reason: Image correction.
pqr is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

To the President of Toyota Motor

Ako Toyoda san,
Ogenki de irasshaimasu ka.

No no, we are not from Nigeria and this mail is not about unclaimed Russian money lying in bank. We hope you remember us. We're the Indian division of Toyota.

Even though we have removed as much features as possible and overpriced the Fortuner as vast as imaginable, we want to inform you that the competition is heating up here in India. Hyundai, the Chaebol from our former colony Korea, has launched a crossover SUV with the name of an American town and the pricing is outrageous. This SUV has recently scored zero NCAP stars in Latin America so we worry they will add one more zero to its price.

Now, probably instigated by this, Jeep has increased the price of their Compass small SUV by almost one "lakh". Three of this American SUV can be packed in our new Sequoia that you are selling in America.

We are now worried, san. Our beloved Fortuner now looks reasonably priced. Placing a product in affordable price range is strictly against our pledge and we assure you our policy will stay unchanged as long as Fujiyama has snow on its summit. Else we commit seppuku or do a drive in India's national highways, we promise.

We need to outshine the competition and make our cars shockingly priced again ASAP. Kindly grant us 2 minutes of time to discuss this matter with you.

Okarada o taisetsu ni. Ohenji omachi shite orimasu.
Arigatōgozaimashita

Toyota Kirloskar Motor

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 5th September 2022 at 22:47.
sandeepmdas is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 23:16   #26
BHPian

Cars prices have gone crazy in the last 3-4 years and especially post covid-19 pandemic. This feels like an organized loot. We got Endeavour 2.2 Titanium+ in 2019 for 33.xx lacs OTR Gujrat. Now even the cars segment or two below are priced more. Auto industry soon would need a significant price correction.
Mach_1590 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Also Interiors of Jeep are not so great, I sat in 2 Jeep Compass & found nothing to be great for that price.
Then you are an exception here. Everyone who's sat in my compass has been wowed by the interior, and that includes hatchback owners as well as luxury car owners.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th September 2022 at 09:25. Reason: Fixed broken quotes
sid3091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:40   #28
BHPian

Bringing an analogy here from an excerpt from the movie Ford vs Ferrari where Iacocca presents to Ford. Whatever said and done, Jeep is an aspirational brand because of its history and what their cars mean and capable of. Jeep was worth more than FCA put together, before Stellantis happened. So, people do take pride in owning or being a part of that history. In the end, if one aspires for driving pleasure, Compass is the one, if not there's everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass prices hiked by around Rs. 90,000-lee.png  

bullitt1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also Harrier has better road presence.
Agree but therein lies the problem also.

Harrier is a full size larger than the Compass. Great for road presence and bad for parking requirements - especially in the cities. The perspective depends on individual requirements. Many cases including mine where the Harrrier just wouldn't fit in the parking lot.

Ideally I feel Harrier and Safari should have been differentiated more in terms of size - the length at least. The #Dark edition AT and even the XUV 7OO/Scorpio is excellent VFM compared to the Compass, but none of these parameters matter if the car doesn't fit in the parking lot.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
Cars prices have gone crazy in the last 3-4 years and especially post covid-19 pandemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
Auto industry soon would need a significant price correction.
I have wondered the same. Will they be removing the ~15% cess they had put as a 'temporary measure' on cars post GST anytime soon?, It has been a while or otherwise reduce taxes?
I find myself not being able to afford cars I previously could anymore and it is becoming more than just frustration.
Maky is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks