Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Poll: What should the new LWB, 5-door Thar be called?
Armada 151 49.83%
Legend 10 3.30%
Marshall 34 11.22%
Indus 7 2.31%
Kargil 16 5.28%
Zanskar 15 4.95%
Banjara 2 0.66%
Other 68 22.44%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 12:18   #1
BHPian

What should the new LWB, 5-door Thar be called?

Test mules of the LWB, 5-door version of the Thar have now been spotted, with a possible launch date in 2023 sometime after next year's Auto Expo (images and video here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5382131).

Many Team BHPians (including me) are curious as to what this extended version of the Thar will be called, with many speculating that Armada would be a worthy name:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I have a very strong inkling that the 5-Door Thar is going to be called the ARMADA.
or
they could call the hard-top an Armada edition and the Open / Soft-top the Invader edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
The only thought that flashed in my mind drooling over the pic "Is this the next Mahindra Armada?". Schooltime fantasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Armada would be a worthy name. And this is a great opportunity to bring back an old name plate. I hope they don't name it as XUV.
What is the general consensus here, based on pure speculation? Or rather, what would you like this extended, hard-top version of the Thar to be called?

I've set up a poll that includes:

1. some old M&M jeep name plates but omits those name plates that (a) are overly utilitarian (Maxx), (b) have already been assigned to other models (Bolero), (c) don't really suit the vehicle (Classic, Invader, Major), or (d) will attract lawsuits from other manufacturers (Commander)

2. some new options based on Ladhaki geographical landmarks (where the vehicle is so much at home), and

3. a cheeky one aimed at MSL for not being nimble enough with the replacement for the Gypsy!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 19th August 2022 at 12:20. Reason: Poll not set up
Hawkeye269 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 12:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What should the new LWB, 5-door Thar be called?

Voted for "Other". Its dimensions and overall profile will look like the "COMMANDER" with aftermarket FRP hard top and doors . Albeit in a new generation avatar. Like the new Thar is the spiritual successor of the MM540/50. Definitely not the Armada. The Armada already has its next generations running around under the name of Bolero.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:03   #3
BHPian

It would be nice to see them restore the ARMADA brand. The ever so unmistakeable red and black stripes (on the old Armada) or the majestic silver Armada grand with its interesting front fascia had a prescence on the road. It was a 5 door utilitarian (4wd) + comfortable + kinda looks upmarket vehicle. Which the 5 door Thar is !
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:20   #4
BHPian

Voted for others. This certainly should be called the commander. Armada certainly would have been cool but this one screams commander all the way. Anyhow jeep didn't name the Meridian as Commander(its global name) so I'm guessing Mahindra can still use it.

Req to Mods: Can you please add an option for COMMANDER too? TIA.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Voted other.

Rann would be my pick going with the convention but Commander is good too.

On a lighter note I wouldn't recommend naming it anything from Ladakh or the high mountains especially due to the DPF issues being reported.
Wouldn't make a good sight riding on a flatbed
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

The name Thar is an aberration in M&M's vehicle nomenclature, which as we all know is fond of names ending in O/0. So methinks, they won't let go of this opportunity to choose something on those lines.

So, on a lighter note, maybe the name Dodo could be a good choice, considering that ICE vehicles in general and Diesel vehicles in particular could soon be extinct due to the impending onslaught of EVs as well as the geniuses in the NGT.

P.S: Voted Other

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th August 2022 at 13:49.
Old 19th August 2022, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Mahindra Umling - Umling la pass is the highest motorable road in India. Voting for other.

Thar is named after the desert to signify that the vehicle can easily go in the sand and in the extreme conditions there. Mahindra HAS to continue to name this range of vehicles based on places and not older names.

Last edited by deep_bang : 19th August 2022 at 13:55.
Old 19th August 2022, 14:05   #8
BHPian

TARZAN would be my choice.

First I wanted it to be named as a Thar with some suffix as even the tail lights have not been redesigned. Hence no point in creating a separate brand. But the renderings looked as if there might be a third row of seats (which is very unlikely IMHO) hence I briefly toyed with the idea of Thar7 and that opened up to Tarzan.

The other suitable names for a 'go anywhere' off-roader based on Indian Geography like "Rhino" "Gurkha" and "Kaziranga" have already been taken.

I had mentioned in this forum several months back that the silly names like "Alturas G4" and "Marazzo" actually killed the otherwise very competent products. I would have preferred Alturas G4 to have been named as "Lyger" and XUV300 as "Lynx" to continue the feline connect with the Cheetah based XUV500.

Similarly I would have liked Marazzo to have been launched with some non-offending friendly name like "Geminy" to carry forward the sunsign based naming system of the 'Scorpio".

P.S: Interesting read about Trademarking of the name 'Tarzan' in Japanese High Court.

https://www.lexology.com/commentary/...rademark%20Law.

Last edited by Geta : 19th August 2022 at 14:22.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

SAHARA.
Continuation of the THAR (desert) and in colloquial Hindi it also means "assurance".
Would dovetail nicely with the rugged yet safe nature of the platform.

Only hitch: Jeep may have a copyright on the name. There was a variant of the Wrangler dubbed the Sahara. But then, when you can photocopy an entire vehicle model, what's in a name?
arjab is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to see it be called 'Tharar' ('थरार'), my Hindi is not good if so kindly correct me. Voted "other".
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:07   #11
BHPian

My vote goes for the (other) names of the Indian national parks such as:

Rathambore
Kanha
Old 19th August 2022, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Kutch
Killa (fort)

On a lighter note:

5-Thar

Last edited by echo77 : 19th August 2022 at 16:00.
echo77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:28   #13
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

In line with their naming convention - they should call the existing 3-door Thar as 'Thar 300’, and the upcoming 5-door Thar as 'Thar 500’.

In future, if they develop a multi-axle Thar for Dubai, then they can call it 'Thar 900'.
pqr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:38   #14
BHPian

Mahindra could use the same template like Scorpio, calling it the BAAP of all Thars.

Honestly, I would like to see them honor the real father of Thar, Mr. Behraam Dhabhar. May be some reference to his name would be appreciated
Old 19th August 2022, 18:14   #15
BHPian

The moment they change the name, it will affect the sales. So better to name it as 5-Thar
klassics45 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks