Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Motorcycle rider fined for low fuel? EDIT: Actually fined for riding in the wrong direction

A rider in Kerala was fined for insufficient fuel. Looks like he was riding the motorcycle without sufficient fuel with passengers. Is it a legal mandate to have sufficient fuel?

Source - CarToq
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle rider fined for low fuel? EDIT: Actually fined for riding in the wrong direction-twowheelerchallanfeatured.jpg  

vvivek85 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 15:42   #2
BHPian

re: Motorcycle rider fined for low fuel? EDIT: Actually fined for riding in the wrong direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
A rider in Kerala was fined for insufficient fuel. Looks like he was riding the motorcycle without sufficient fuel with passengers. Is it a legal mandate to have sufficient fuel?

Source - CarToq
How do they define insufficient fuel?
The only way this makes sense is that they want to penalise larger vehicles that stall and cause traffic jams on busy roads. But a bike? That's too harsh. In any case, never heard of a fine of this sort. But then Kerala traffic police can come up with anything
Malyaj is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 15:53   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Motorcycle rider fined for low fuel? EDIT: Actually fined for riding in the wrong direction

Neither of my 2 bikes have a fuel meter, so I guess I'm safe
boniver is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Don't be so sure. Some ingenious cop will come forward with a dipstick. Where there is a will there is a way.

Or let's say, where there is a provision, there is a tool
Malyaj is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

I saw this via whatsapp as well earlier today. Seems really bizarre. Can anyone shed more light on this? What exactly is the mischief caused - unless he’s stalled in the middle of the road or something - and even then it seems harsh for a two wheeler.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
passengers
Passengers on a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Don't give the cops any ideas. They might start using dipsticks!
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
... Seems really bizarre. Can anyone shed more light on this? What exactly is the mischief caused - unless he’s stalled in the middle of the road or something - and even then it seems harsh for a two wheeler.
Well, there is indeed a rule that says the operator of a vehicle needs to ensure that there is enough fuel left.

As for the fine, since it's in Kerala, I'm guessing the guys were trying to play smart. They might not have had helmets or right papers in hand, and wanted to cross the police checking point. They might have got down and pushed saying fuel is empty. Since only driving without helmets and/or papers are punishable and not pushing the bike. Cops being smarter, would've seen the foul play and fined for low fuel.
dhanushs is offline   (123) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 18:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
They might not have had helmets or right papers in hand
Or they did not have enough money to pay and might have begged the cops and gotten away with the lowest amount of fine possible.
corvus corax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

The most irritating and dangerous practice among two wheelers when they run out of fuel is what is shown in the picture. They are slower than regular traffic and end up taking almost the whole of one lane, causing traffic to pile up!

If this was the case, I have no sympathies for the guys who got fined!
(Image courtesy - Google search)
Attached Images

Geo_Ipe is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:45   #10
BHPian

The rider was actually going in wrong side/one way street. It was a RE350. However, the challan issued was for different offence which he didn't break. Also this challan only applies to Commercial vehicles while re-fueling with passenger onboard.
rishi.roger is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^ What about bike taxis? Who can be sure the bike is not a taxi?
Old 26th July 2022, 20:57   #12
BHPian

Traffic Cops sometimes 'challan' for a lesser offense as a gesture. "Instead of 1k fine for jumping signal, I am letting you go for Rs250".
attinder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ What about bike taxis? Who can be sure the bike is not a taxi?
Yellow number plates. Commercial vehicles have different coloured plates (yellow) so it’s easy to distinguish from far.
Old 26th July 2022, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rapido bike taxis don't have yellow number plates. The owners ride part time for rapido. Many are students.
Old 27th July 2022, 14:13   #15
BHPian

Wow, knew Kerala Police were in dire straits financially, but this is cruising down pathetic avenue!

On a related note, is there actually a published book that details traffic and vehicle laws in India?

I've been trying to get my hands on one for a while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks