Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 12:44   #571
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Stage 1 Remapped my W212 E200 :

My 2014 facelift W212 with just 22090 kms on ODO is now remapped. I chose quantum tuning for the map. Mr. Kunjan Patel, authorized and training guy from quantum operates from Ahmedabad only. So he offered to come home. So there are 3 ways to remap: OBD tuning, Bench Tuning and BOOT tuning. They don’t open the ECU for bench tuning. He chose Bench tuning, where ECU needs to be removed from car for a complete access to required files. Quantum Red map was written on ECU and car was remapped in approx. 1 hr.

First impressions:
1) The idle became further refined, it’s hard to tell if engine is on.
2) The low-end pull became more affirm, having no lag. However, its just 400 Nm torque so the effect is not as good as a diesel tune.
3) The major difference I felt today was on top end, during my drive on freshly opened Vadodara - Bharuch stretch of Expressway. Earlier the pull in D7 from 100 kmph was very lethargic, so had to downshift in D6 and now it pulls cleanly in D7, thanks to that additional torque. The same can be visualized in their dyno map as well.
4) When driven with light foot, the remap is hard to notice, unlike all VAG cars. As you can see from the graph, the gains are not too high below 2000 rpm, so if you stay above 2000 rpm then it feels much faster.
5) I think the effect is not that impressive due to slow 7 speed gearbox as well. Quantum offers TCU remap as well for faster shift times. I may go for it in coming days.
6) The service B is due in 30 days and I decided to remap before that. I think after replacing the air filter the gains could be bit more visible.

W212 Bosch ECU
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_0004.jpg  

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_0005.jpg  

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_0006.jpg  

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-quantum_map.jpg  

Last edited by Mission_PGPX : 26th February 2024 at 12:45.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 09:18   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Stage 1 Remapped my W212 E200 :

My 2014 facelift W212 with just 22090 kms on ODO is now remapped. I chose quantum tuning for the map. Mr. Kunjan Patel, authorized and training guy from quantum operates from Ahmedabad only. So he offered to come home. So there are 3 ways to remap: OBD tuning, Bench Tuning and BOOT tuning. They don’t open the ECU for bench tuning. He chose Bench tuning, where ECU needs to be removed from car for a complete access to required files. Quantum Red map was written on ECU and car was remapped in approx. 1 hr.

First impressions:
1) The idle became further refined, it’s hard to tell if engine is on.
2) The low-end pull became more affirm, having no lag. However, its just 400 Nm torque so the effect is not as good as a diesel tune.
3) The major difference I felt today was on top end, during my drive on freshly opened Vadodara - Bharuch stretch of Expressway. Earlier the pull in D7 from 100 kmph was very lethargic, so had to downshift in D6 and now it pulls cleanly in D7, thanks to that additional torque. The same can be visualized in their dyno map as well.
4) When driven with light foot, the remap is hard to notice, unlike all VAG cars. As you can see from the graph, the gains are not too high below 2000 rpm, so if you stay above 2000 rpm then it feels much faster.
5) I think the effect is not that impressive due to slow 7 speed gearbox as well. Quantum offers TCU remap as well for faster shift times. I may go for it in coming days.
6) The service B is due in 30 days and I decided to remap before that. I think after replacing the air filter the gains could be bit more visible.

W212 Bosch ECU
I have a 2013 E200 facelift. Got a remap at 4S auto here, its a Celtic tuning programme. The car's behaviour has changed completely. Very responsive with good torque. I don't have the exact gain figures but now feel brakes are lagging for the increased power. Is it true that the brakes on the E350 CDI are bigger? Maybe need those or pads with better bite.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st March 2024 at 10:40. Reason: Minor clean up edits.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 13:57   #573
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
+1 on this.My CLA sees less usage. So during annual service, the service personnel have gone to the extent of checking the cabin air filter & recommending that it need not be changed as it is still very clean. They do this for all consumable parts (like brake pads, filters etc) if I let the executive know that it is a low usage vehicle. There is no push for "3M" cleaning & all other common scams done by Maruti, Hyundai service centers. Overall a very enjoyable & stress free experience. Many times, my Creta & Baleno gets estimates (with additional "items") more than what I pay for CLA service
Would you recommend getting a pre-owned CLA 2015 model with 60k kms on the clock, at 22 lakhs?
What kind of service bills do you get with the CLA generally and how expensive has it been to maintain it?
Old 5th March 2024, 11:49   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post
Would you recommend getting a pre-owned CLA 2015 model with 60k kms on the clock, at 22 lakhs?

22 lakhs is kinda a high price. I paid 36L OTR for my 2019 petrol model. If you like fast sedans, this is really a good car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post
What kind of service bills do you get with the CLA generally and how expensive has it been to maintain it?
Varies b/w 20-32k / year. Engine Oil is changed every service. For the other parts @ Sundaram, service advisor checks and lets me which needs to be replaced or not. Usually cabin air filters, brake pads are changed every 2 years.
car_addict is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 09:53   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I have a 2013 E200 facelift. Got a remap at 4S auto here, its a Celtic tuning programme. The car's behaviour has changed completely. Very responsive with good torque. I don't have the exact gain figures but now feel brakes are lagging for the increased power. Is it true that the brakes on the E350 CDI are bigger? Maybe need those or pads with better bite.
Hey Nice to find someone using same car on this forum. I am not sure if E350 has bigger brakes, but depending upon mileage, you may check the condition of brake discs and pads. Mine is still running on stock pads and discs since she is still kind of virgin with only 23000 kms. After market option is Brembo, which I used in my W204 and it was much better compared to any other available aftermarket. By the way, how much have you driven and any issues on long term?
Old 31st March 2024, 23:36   #576

Any suggestions for aftermarket brake pads for my 2010 E350 (W212).

Also any good FNG in NCR who could be trusted with this job?

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2024, 10:14   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAM View Post
Any suggestions for aftermarket brake pads for my 2010 E350 (W212).

Also any good FNG in NCR who could be trusted with this job?

Thanks.
you can check with United motors, Chennai. He keeps good stocks of rotors and pads from Brembo.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 00:04   #578

Hi
What is the recommendation for changing the fuel filters in W205 C220d diesel engine?
I'm due for a 3rd service currently and the service advisor is recommending me to replace the fuel filter even though it is < 10,000 km on its odo.

It was even recommended during the 2nd service itself, but the odo reading was too low at that time and I postponed it to the 3rd service.
I'm not able to find any MB official online sources for fuel filter replacement especially for diesel engines.

Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 16:29   #579
BHPian

Service B Update:
MID started showing service B due since beginning of April but could not spend time. My E200 has run 25600 kms and Finally got the quote and did the full service B with all filters and fluids changed.
A) Self Sourced parts : Brake-fluid (Brembo DOT 5.1), Mercedes sourced AC filter and Air filter all the way from Munich. The museum in Munich is worth visiting for and sourcing such parts. The price converts to almost same or higher than Mb Workshop here. 16000 INR
B) MB parts from service station : Engine Oil, Oil filter, Transmission Oil, Transmission filter and Gasket. INR 52657

Total : INR 68657/- , which i feel is ok for the satisfaction of work done as per MB standards. The performance of the car post service is felt and now i can feel the effect of Remap. The car feels, lighter, smoother, quieter and ofcourse faster.

They checked the entire car and found 2 main issues:
1) Front stabilizer linkages needs replacement, but I was informed that It can last another 5K and they were too busy to replace. So postponed.
2) The Analogue clock is not working. The clock needs to be replaced only and can not be repaired. I almost gave an approval for replacement before I was told the eye watering quote of 51000 INR including GST.

I am looking for a solution for starting the analogue clock in the car. We have a belief in family not to keep the clock in stopped condition. However, My mind is not convinced to spend 51K without ensuring that it really has an issue and replacement is the only solution. Any help from other members would be helpful here. If you know any source of procuring at cheaper price, do let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-service-invoice.jpg  

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-service-center.jpg  

Mission_PGPX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 10:19   #580
BHPian

Looking for the best PPF workshop in Chandigarh for a friend's new E Class. The company is pressurising to get it done from the dealership.
rickygupta2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 22:51   #581
BHPian

For a couple of months now, whenever my car (W212 E250 CDI) goes over a series of bumps the steering feels momentarily loose. In addition to this I also detect a faint sideways motion, but I could be imagining that.

This happens at normal city-driving speeds even over minor bumps such as the rumble strips on the road. In particular, I think it's only when the rear right wheel is going over bumps that this happens.

It's very noticeable to me, but my parents who also drive this car have never noticed this.

As a matter of fact I find it so bad that I now subconsciously drastically slow down in corners so that mid-corner bumps won't unsettle the car. My Honda City on the other hand – a car that isn't known for handling – feels decidedly more surefooted over a series of bumps.

Somewhere on the internet I happened to read about loose lug-nuts, and the symptoms of that seem to describe close to what I feel. But I got the lug-nuts checked out, and they seem okay.

Any ideas? I'll be giving the car to the authorized workshop within a couple of weeks, but I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Maybe it's the suspension, tie-rods or whatever? Or maybe something's amiss with the ABS/traction-control system and that's causing all this?
Old 30th May 2024, 06:14   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post

Any ideas? I'll be giving the car to the authorized workshop within a couple of weeks, but I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Maybe it's the suspension, tie-rods or whatever? Or maybe something's amiss with the ABS/traction-control system and that's causing all this?
I am lucky to have access to a retired Mercedes benz mechanic in Gorakhpur. He is experienced and does the work in 30 % of service center cost.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th May 2024 at 13:09. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 26th June 2024, 05:57   #583

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Dad bought a new E class last year on June 30th. Car ran less than 2000kms inc a long drive of 200 kms 5 months ago. Had an Accord before (was running fine but turned 15).

Got a call of factory recall/replacement of fuel pump (May end). Sending the car got delayed, so delayed a bit further and scheduled to send the car on 24th June to get service done as well.

On 23rd the check engine light came on. Had come on once before, but while reversing Turned off. On inspection at the service center It was the purge valve. They mentioned not a serious issue and they were discussing either to delete the code or replace under warranty. I said replace, so the technician said he was leaning towards replace as well as it is still under warranty.

Just curious - was replacement the right decision? Does it affect factory engine settings? But then in the bill, it was 30k in parts alone - purge valve, feed unit, charcoal filter, o ring so better to change now then to get stuck with the repair after warranty?)

For service, in the recommended things we skipped the AC filters and brake fluids (we don’t drive rashly and hardly ever over 70 in city driving). All the engine oil and related filters etc were changed on guidance that there might be a very slim chance but that company may void warranty on future claims if engine air filters are skipped. We had asked the technician to skip things that can be skipped keeping low running in mind. Should we have replaced brake fluids as well?

I had used the car pick up and drop service. After service the car needed extra fuel so I agreed to pay for 10 ltrs fuel and also asked them to get PUC done. On delivery, the driver said he seems to have misplaced the fuel receipt. Dad was quick to pay 1100/- rounded anyways. I suspect he pocketed amount for 3 or so ltrs at least (based on the approx range the app was showing) or could it be something else. If you were in my shoes, would you raise an issue with the showroom or simply let it go? The app showed 4% fuel left, the center is 14 kms away. asked for 10 ltrs top-up. I assumed even after the return trip, taking avg as 7 km /ltr I would be left with 70 km plus range but now it shows range as <50km).

Please ensure that you:

- Use CAPITAL letters where required (this note is an example).
- Proof-read your posts to correct language & grammatical errors.
- Use the right punctuation.
- Use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs).

Thank you for the support. These steps would go a long way in making your posts pleasurable to read for all of us (members & guests included).

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th June 2024 at 08:07. Reason: Very poorly typed post. Please review the Forum guidelines on posting etiquette before proceeding.
Inkyfingers88 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2024, 09:08   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkyfingers88 View Post
Just curious - was replacement the right decision? Does it affect factory engine settings? But then in the bill, it was 30k in parts alone - purge valve, feed unit, charcoal filter, o ring so better to change now then to get stuck with the repair after warranty?)
A replacement under warranty won't get approved unless there is a good reason for it, so I feel it's the right decision. When in doubt, you can always insist on getting the opinion of MB technical team based in Pune (Indian HQ) to ensure the dealer is doing the right thing.

Quote:
For service, in the recommended things we skipped the AC filters and brake fluids (we don’t drive rashly and hardly ever over 70 in city driving). All the engine oil and related filters etc were changed on guidance that there might be a very slim chance but that company may void warranty on future claims if engine air filters are skipped. We had asked the technician to skip things that can be skipped keeping low running in mind. Should we have replaced brake fluids as well?
As you have kept the Accord for 15 years, I'm assuming you will be keeping this car also for a long time. I would say adhere to scheduled/routine maintenance irrespective of the usage - especially fluids. You can afford to clean & replace air and AC filters, etc. if the usage is low. You can also skip few items unrelated to core mechanical components such as wipers, A/C filters and labour jobs like cleaning and detailing. Tire changes and alignment jobs can be done in reputed 3rd party shops. If the car is not used on highways, etc. you can defer the brake pad jobs till you get a warning on the console. If the car is not used regularly, consider buying a battery charger (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-charger.html (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger)). To be honest, you won't save much by all these measures - just pennies. The important thing is to stick to recommended service schedule and use the car regularly.

Quote:
.. On delivery, the driver said he seems to have misplaced the fuel receipt. Dad was quick to pay 1100/- rounded anyways. I suspect he pocketed amount for 3 or so ltrs ..
My policy is not to give an opportunity to cheat - send the car with enough fuel, or use google-pay to directly pay the bunk, don't leave valuables in the car, etc. If you suspect something and don't have proof, always give them the benefit of doubt if it's a just a matter of few hundreds.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 09:28   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkyfingers88 View Post
For service, in the recommended things we skipped the AC filters and brake fluids (we don’t drive rashly and hardly ever over 70 in city driving). ]
Brake fluid change within a year - thats extortion unless you are driving on the track. Normally 3 years is a good time to change the brake fluid
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks