Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2023, 06:23   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
I guess there is a range for prices of RFTs. If you check out the link provided by el lobo above, you'll see that RFTs cost between 19k and 23k, whereas tubeless cost between 9k and 18k. (all prices without discounts) So it depends on which specific tyres you are comparing.
My comparison was in 225/50/17 a year back or so:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (aftermarket, made in Thailand) was ~12K
Michelin 3 ZP RFT (from BMW, made in Poland): ~23K
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 06:33   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My comparison was in 225/50/17 a year back or so:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (aftermarket, made in Thailand) was ~12K
Michelin 3 ZP RFT (from BMW, made in Poland): ~23K
I got Continental Sport Contact 5 for my 320D 225/50/17 earlier this year.
Cost me around 45K Installed for the whole set.
The tires were late 22 manufactured, and come with unconditional warranty.
Michelin PS4's on the other hand were 18+ months old with no warranty support.
I replaced RFT's I had on earlier, and what a difference they made.
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-img_0025.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 5th August 2023 at 06:36.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 07:17   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I got Continental Sport Contact 5 for my 320D 225/50/17 earlier this year.
Cost me around 45K Installed for the whole set.
The tires were late 22 manufactured, and come with unconditional warranty.
Michelin PS4's on the other hand were 18+ months old with no warranty support.
I replaced RFT's I had on earlier, and what a difference they made.
CSC5 is a good choice as are Vredesrein Ultrac & MRF Perfinza. Michelin has some serious competition now and are being stung by their reluctance to establish a manufacturing setup in India for these premium radials.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 11:12   #529
sgm
BHPian

Quote:

How many km has your car done and what does your average cost per service come to? Just want to compare with the diesel model.

He didn't specify the brand.

I guess there is a range for prices of RFTs. If you check out the link provided by el lobo above, you'll see that RFTs cost between 19k and 23k, whereas tubeless cost between 9k and 18k. (all prices without discounts) So it depends on which specific tyres you are comparing.
I got the tyres replaced in 2022 September, and it was 50k for Michelin PS4. The 2023 prices would be higher.

My bad about the RFT prices. I checked the old quote again and it was 18k per tyre for Michelin 3ZP MOE-RFT from Madhus, Bangalore

I have done close to 49000KM so far and completed 4th service. As mine is BS6 diesel, the Adblue refill during each service comes to 6-8k. This is already included in the service costs mentioned below.

Typically 35k for A service and 40k for B service is what I have seen. Brake pads are replaced during every B service for 35-37k. 4th year ATF change was another 60k+. I have to get the brake discs (50k+) changed during next service and then engine mounts at 75000KM. The list grows as time progresses
Old 5th August 2023, 17:01   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Any reason you suggest getting this done at the service center? It would definitely be cheaper if done at a tyre store.
Authorized Workshop has proper machine, tools, alignment data for car and manpower with technical skills.

E.g. BMW X1 is FWD setup but has adjustment for alignment rear as well. Not many know about it.

E.g. Removing RFT tyre is not simple task. You need proper machine else the local guys can damage the alloy rim.

Paying extra for peace of mind is more important.
Old 5th August 2023, 18:39   #531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Authorized Workshop has proper machine, tools, alignment data for car and manpower with technical skills.

E.g. BMW X1 is FWD setup but has adjustment for alignment rear as well. Not many know about it.

E.g. Removing RFT tyre is not simple task. You need proper machine else the local guys can damage the alloy rim.

I am not happy with Mercedes or, for that matter most OEM including BMW as far as balancing is concerned. Nothing beats the Road Force machines. These are expensive so not many dealerships including premium ones have this. Though, I understand some trials were done at selective MB dealerships including T&T in Delhi. Don't know what happened.

http://hunterindia.com/product-details/?id=14547&sid=25

Same for the tyre change, if the wheel shop has the right equipment, no harm in getting changed but as far as Alignment is concerned, I agree, nothing beats the company setup as far as these high-end cars are concerned especially if they have OEM recommended equipment from Germany.
Old 5th August 2023, 18:45   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not happy with Mercedes or, for that matter most OEM including BMW as far as balancing is concerned. Nothing beats the Road Force machines. These are expensive so not many dealerships including premium ones have this. Though, I understand some trials were done at selective MB dealerships including T&T in Delhi. Don't know what happened.

http://hunterindia.com/product-details/?id=14547&sid=25

Same for the tyre change, if the wheel shop has the right equipment, no harm in getting changed but as far as Alignment is concerned, I agree, nothing beats the company setup as far as these high-end cars are concerned especially if they have OEM recommended equipment from Germany.
Any flagship store for MRF or Bridgestone or Michelin will have the required equipment as well as data set to handle your German machinery. It is a ruse that you need to go to your dealership for alignment or balancing or for RFT related issues.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 18:51   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Any flagship store for MRF or Bridgestone or Michelin will have the required equipment as well as data set to handle your German machinery. It is a ruse that you need to go to your dealership for alignment or balancing or for RFT related issues.
Not all, as I mentioned only a few, in NCR, only one is operational to the best of my knowledge, the Pirelli showroom. No one else has road force balancing, and it makes a big difference on larger Dia tyres, significantly beyond 20.

The data we see on a regular tyre alignment machine is usually not 100% match with OEM, or this is what BMW service guys told me. But, I have never ever got the alignment done from outside on anything premium. I am ok with paying the dealerships some extra money as I usually get after 2-3 years.
Old 5th August 2023, 18:54   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not all, as I mentioned only few, in NCR, only one is operational to the best of my knowledge, Pirelli brand. No one else has road force balancing, and it makes a big difference on larger Dia tyres, especially beyond 20.
We have a couple of shops with road force balancing here in Faridabad itself. I am sure there will be more than a few in Delhi and Gurgaon. Road force balancing does make a difference, agreed. Especially with alloys that are in less than 100% condition.
Old 5th August 2023, 18:59   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
We have a couple of shops with road force balancing here in Faridabad itself. I am sure there will be more than a few in Delhi and Gurgaon.
One one, Haryana wheels, their equipment is always broken. I am yet to find anyone good in NCR, please do check once calling them and will appreciate if you can update here.

I used this search and also called company guys and they recommended, the same Pirelli guy.

http://hunterindia.com/locator/?id=14547&sid=25
Old 5th August 2023, 19:16   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One one, Haryana wheels, their equipment is always broken. I am yet to find anyone good in NCR, please do check once calling them and will appreciate if you can update here.

I used this search and also called company guys and they recommended, the same Pirelli guy.

http://hunterindia.com/locator/?id=14547&sid=25
Haryana Tyres has two shops - the original old one in NIT Faridabad and a new one I’m Greater Faridabad. The latter is fine. My personal preference is M/s Jyoti Tyres, the flagship MRF store, in Old Faridabad, bang on Mathura Road. Road force alignment, robotic wheel alignment, skilled staff, the works.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 00:27   #537
Senior - BHPian

I use a 2015 B class 200d (W246) as my daily driver for about 70 kms/ day in Bengaluru. Occasional outstation trips - 2-3 per year.

I was inspired by the ECU remaps done by several VAG owners, and also a recent post by a Hector owner who seem to be comfortable using their cars as a daily driver.

Question to other owners of Mercs, have anyone of you sone Stage 1 Remaps in your cars. A quick search on Google refers to Quantum tuning who offer an amazing improvement in power and torque.

Will it cause any real world issues? Fuel efficiency can drop by how much? everyday drivability will suffer? Reliability issues? Am particularly worried about the EGR delete.

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India-screenshot-20230819-12.10.58-am.png
wildsdi5530 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 21:35   #538
BHPian

Can someone help me with a Aux port issue. I have a 2012 W212 E250 CDI Mercedes. The vehicle does not come with an Aux port. There is a media interface port in the glove box. Has anyone tried getting one of those cable that can fit in there and has either USB (female) or aux (male) points on the other side?

Also..another query. The user manual recommends semi synthetic oil for the vehicle. Will it be fine to shift to a fully synthetic oil (5W-40 or 15W40 grades) ?
Old 21st August 2023, 16:42   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Just thought to put an update on our W205 C 220D (2016), that's now done 32,500kms over the last 7 years.
For some reason, I just cannot help but feel shortchanged with the quality & spare part / service costing of this product, and the most recent service estimate has not helped one bit!

Going through the math, the total cost of maintenance over the last 7 years has been around Rs. 7L (including tyres), which includes maintenance carried outside & maintenance done under warranty. I approximately expect to spend a cool 1.5-2L more on maintenance this year. In comparison, the other German cars at home were far cheaper to maintain - the BMW for instance, bought used when it was already 5 years old cost a cool 30% lesser than the C Class, despite being an older out of warranty car when we bought it.

Parts that have been replaced under the 3 warranty (13,000kms on the odo):
1. Front Passenger Seatbelt 2017
2. Secondary Battery Capacitor 2019
3. Driver's window switch 2019
4. Sunroof Blind Motor, Sunroof Blind Fabric 2019
5. Steering Logo 2019
6. Passenger Window Switch 2019

I decided against getting the extended warranty as it just didn't make sense to spend the ridiculous amount they were asking for a 6 year extension - and more or less it worked in my favor despite the following niggles - most of which have been resolved from outside, if it was Mercedes I would have been a few more lakh poorer by now:
1. Front Passenger Window Switch (Driver's console) 2020
2. Windshield Fluid Container replaced 2020
3. Rear right window switch 2021
4. Headliner 2021
5. Sunroof Motor (not the blinds) 2022
6. A.C. Cooling Coil, Evaporator 2022
7. Driver's side power window button 2022
8. Boot open button 2022

Over and above these niggles - my suspension seems worn out in 33,000kms; the rear brake pads have been replaced twice, and front ones once (I switched to after market brake pads which have been performing better - 13,000kms since the switch and going strong vs the usual 10K the OEM rear brake pads lasted).
Our last service a couple weeks ago saw them present me with a Rs. 4.3L + taxes estimate for additional work - including suspension, some cosmetic damage like a small scratch on the MMI trackpad, etc. and also some additional items like a starter battery, passenger side mirror unit because the movement is a little slow and jerky, bonnet shock absorber, and a cool 14k+ bill to fix the rattles.

This wear just isn't normal! It wasn't the case in our past E Class, 5 series, 3 series, A6, etc.
And the worst of it is the noise - there is a constant rattle or creak that comes across on any poor road which was coming from rear parcel shelf + near the rear parking sensor (which Mercedes wanted Rs. 14k + to fix), squealing brakes (since new - but apparently it's normal despite them swapping pads, etc.), a rattle that comes and goes at speeds over 50, and a few other noises that are evident only when moving the car around at parking (but which they again say is normal).
Heck - the equally old S-Cross which does beater duties is a quieter ride despite what people may say about Maruti's being rattly tin-cans.
And the noises clearly aren't one off - have heard similar noises in other W205s, and even the E Class with similar build didn't seem to be great and is a complaint I've heard other friends have - creaky plastics, etc. and almost everyone agrees that these newer Mercs are more expensive to maintain than their peers.

Do keep in mind that this is pretty much only owner driven / driven by the driver in owner's presence - and that too, annoyingly carefully. The seniors at home don't take it out because ingress and egress, and it's only my wife and I who pretty much use it and that too where the roads and all are above average (by Mumbai standards) - thus the low running which is shared with the ES.
For everything else we take out one of the beaters at home - S Cross, Corolla, Tiguan and none of them rattle as much or have faced such issues despite being driven by the same set of people & more for 40-80Kkms; across worse roads / conditions. etc.

While the car looks beautiful, the engine seems rock solid, and is one that I am sentimentally attached too with no plan to replace anytime soon, I just wanted to vent and get feedback from others if they've faced similar issues.
At the moment - Mercedes has earned a black mark and despite being in the market for another compact premium SUV and being bowled over by the design of their newer gen cars - I'm super apprehensive if I want to deal with these niggles.

Last edited by lamborghini : 21st August 2023 at 16:47.
lamborghini is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 01:12   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BharathXUV700 View Post
Can someone help me with a Aux port issue. I have a 2012 W212 E250 CDI Mercedes. The vehicle does not come with an Aux port. There is a media interface port in the glove box. Has anyone tried getting one of those cable that can fit in there and has either USB (female) or aux (male) points on
Hi. I owned a 2012 E class. The aux port in the glove box requires a special connector which comes with a usb port and a 6mm headphones jack for connecting ipods or earphone socket of mob phones. I had purchased one and it worked great. Though I sold off my car but the connector is still with me.
Hope this helps.
Parambir
Parambir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks