Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 08:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
My driving is within the city only 10 km per day self driven.

I plan to take the Service package for 4 years which includes servicing, fluids ,filters , wiper blades and brake pads. And a good zero dep insurance policy which includes rodent damage, hydrostatic lock, tyres (on pro rata) , alloys. I hate sudden unexpected huge bills and don’t want to spend too much on the car as I plan to sell it after 4 years.

Any suggestions or tips ?

At 10 km a day does not warrant a service pack. At this mileage the service packs do not work. Especially since you will not change your brake pads often. I rather you explore the extended warranty option and try to add on to the 1 year of warranty that you are left with.

Insurance: You may get zero depreciation only for another year. Once the car turns 5 most of the companies do not offer zero depreciation policies.

If you have a phobia on sudden and high bills stay away from a used German. They can be very temperamental.

What is the price of the car ?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 09:35   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
All used German cars appear to be in fantastic condition. Hope you have done your homework thoroughly even if you are buying from an official Mercedes dealership - at the very least make sure the car has complete service history that is within expected parameters.

As @Arjun suggested, your usage is not high enough and regular maintenance without service package should work out cheaper than service package. The difference would be marginal though, so just toss a coin and decide

If you can negotiate for 2 years of warranty even if it means paying extra, it is totally worth it. I think zero depreciation insurance is available for upto 7 years these days. Check with the insurance desk of the dealer or any TATA AIG agent.
Old 19th September 2018, 09:50   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
All used German cars appear to be in fantastic condition. Hope you have done your homework thoroughly even if you are buying from an official Mercedes dealership - at the very least make sure the car has complete service history that is within expected parameters.

As @Arjun suggested, your usage is not high enough and regular maintenance without service package should work out cheaper than service package. The difference would be marginal though, so just toss a coin and decide

If you can negotiate for 2 years of warranty even if it means paying extra, it is totally worth it. I think zero depreciation insurance is available for upto 7 years these days. Check with the insurance desk of the dealer or any TATA AIG agent.
Yes I have gone through the service history, insurance history and all seems ok. No claims , all services done regularly and with no major replacements or issues. The service package works out to be almost the same or lesser than the service costs.
They don't have the option for extended warranty on pre owned cars.
Yes zero depreciation is available beyond 5 years
Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:09   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy a pre owned mercedes certified a class petrol. It’s 2014 year end car done 12000 kms. I am getting 1 year warranty. My driving is within the city only 10 km per day self driven.
I plan to take the Service package for 4 years which includes servicing, fluids ,filters , wiper blades and brake pads. And a good zero dep insurance policy which includes rodent damage, hydrostatic lock, tyres (on pro rata) , alloys. I hate sudden unexpected huge bills and don’t want to spend too much on the car as I plan to sell it after 4 years.
4 years and only 12000 kms? if you are buying that 4 years service package, i wonder how it will be cheap after car is almost 4 years old already. whats the deal you are getting, if you dont mind sharing the same? I would still recommend going for A 200d, punchy diesel for car of this size. Petrol motor is just 1.6L, so technically you are only buying a 3 pointed star. German cars are loaded with sensors, any of which can go mad any day and you should be mentally ready to spend. All in all, if you are getting a seriously sweet deal, then go ahead fulfill your dream, merc has improved reliability lately and you are not gonna get many surprises.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:07   #140
BHPian

If something has to go wrong, it will generally be after 4 years, so take a call accordingly on how expensive the car is.
The most troubling things in these Mercedes cars is the AC system. It will set you back by about a lac. The other troubling things are the sensors for a lot of electronic functions. Other than that if u use the car wall it will last.
Old 10th November 2018, 16:33   #141
GRV
BHPian

Transmission control unit failure

Hi
Any suggestion on independent garage that can take care of C class petrol transmission related problem ?

regards
Old 10th November 2018, 18:43   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Transmission control unit failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi
Any suggestion on independent garage that can take care of C class petrol transmission related problem ?

regards

Unless the independent garage is particularly well-known for servicing imports, I would not do it, regardless of the pricing difference with an authorized Mercedes-Benz workshop. The drivetrain is a key system and can make/break the car if not addressed professionally.

Last edited by theMAG : 10th November 2018 at 18:45.
Old 15th November 2018, 09:06   #143
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Here is a new reasonable alternative for MB extended warranty. This is only valid if you have missed to subscribe the extended warranty program by MB.
TVS and MB together have come together with this new extended warranty program called ‘Certified Assurance’.

For my 4 year old C220 it costs "69,721/-". But there is catch here
1. The car must have finished the 4 years service program as per the prescribed norms by MB.
2. There is a KM limit of 20K.
3. First month no coverage will be provided and for following 12 months the coverage is as good as MB extended warranty.

I am not opting for this program now as I have skipped the GEAR OIL replacement during my 4th year service. My car has done only 38K so I opted to change the OIL later. Also I have an option to opt this program till end of 5th year.
pdiw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 17:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiw View Post
Hi Guys,

Here is a new reasonable alternative for MB extended warranty. This is only valid if you have missed to subscribe the extended warranty program by MB.

TVS and MB together have come together with this new extended warranty program called ‘Certified Assurance’.

Thanks, can you share a link or any material that you may have on this? It will help the others on the forum as well.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:22   #145
BHPian

Hi Arjun,
Here is the FAQ that I got from vendor Sundarm Motors. Hope this will help.

Purchase Conditions: Product can be purchased for the vehicles in 4th or 5th year i.e. aging >3 years and <5 years and have usage <100,000 Kms. (MBC conditions apply)

Note – Subjected vehicle completing 5th year on 29-06-2019.

1. What is Certified Assurance Program?

Certified Assurance program is an extended vehicle warranty, which is offered on

Mercedes-Benz Certified cars whose standard warranty is already expired.

2. What are the eligibility criteria’s for enrolling the vehicles into certified assurance

Program?

The eligibility criterions are as follows:

a. The age of vehicles should be greater than 3 years and less than 5 years, from the

date of first registration

b. Usage [Odometer reading] should be less than 100,000 KM

c. Not more than two ownerships

d. No major accident in the past

e. Vehicle should be maintained in Mercedes-Benz authorized service centre as per

service schedule.

f. Vehicle must be registered as private vehicle

3. What are the additional benefits of purchasing a Certified Assurance Program on

purchase of MB certified vehicle from MBIL network?

Certified Assurance ensures complete peace of mind by providing services of either

repair or replacement through MB authorized service network with genuine parts,

failed due to mechanical / electrical failures.

4. How many types of products & plans are available in Certified Assurance Program?

In Certified Assurance program there are two types of products & plans available for

certified vehicles:
pdiw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 20:48   #146
BHPian

Hi All,
My cars starter battery is not getting fully charged inspite of external charging. Looks like it has reached end of life. The showroom cost of German battery is 22.5K. I am planning to get best local replacement at much lesser price. Please advice if anyone has done the same.

Also as I said earlier, I am planning to change the "Gear oil " by end of 5th year against recommended 4th year. Let me know if any one has suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 6th December 2018, 21:16   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiw View Post
lso as I said earlier, I am planning to change the "Gear oil " by end of 5th year against recommended 4th year. Let me know if any one has suggestions.

My suggestion would be to stick to the recommended time. Why would you want to wait a year?
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:09   #148
BHPian

Hi Jeroen, I have read quite a few blogs on this. Most of the blog suggests to change around 60 to 80K kms instead of changing by car's age.
You can refer this one https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...change.225083/
Hope I am taking a calculated risk.
Old 6th December 2018, 22:26   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

@pdiw In my opinion it works out cost effective to stick to recommended service routine. One failed part will knock off all savings of under-servicing. If you want to keep costs low, look for a private workshop that has a good reputation of servicing these cars. Rs 22.5K is a good price for battery, you should go for it. Nobody knows how flooded batteries (you won't get AGM batteries in India) work with these cars - sort of a hit and miss. It's a big no for BMW, not sure about Mercedes.

Sorry for the expensive advice but scheduled maintenance and consumables are the cheapest part of a Mercedes ownership. What you want to duck are the out of warranty repairs and accidents that are not fully covered by insurance.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 01:08   #150

@pdiw, I agree with @androdev. The local batteries won't work. They simply can't take the load of the multitude of electronics in these cars. My boss made the same mistake a few years ago for his S350, spent a bomb on an Exide battery and within a month ended up spending again for the OEM batteries. He was lucky that none of the sensors blew. 😃 So yes, stick to the OEM batteries.

And please do follow the service schedule. Important to change oils as per schedule or once a year Irrespective of how many km the car has run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks