Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 14:10   #106
BHPian

Re: Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution

What my take is that, even if not a single fossil fuel vehicle ply in Delhi, even though the air quality would be below per the standard during stubble burning phase. Implementing such bans are just eyewash. Just think about how many BS3/4 vehicle regularly ply on roads of Delhi and how much pollution they effectively cause. Accumulated dust on road due to loose soil, construction works which flies around with vehicles passing by (be it petrol/diesel, BS3/4/6), causes more pulmonary discomfort and disease. Better ban on stubble being burned and ensure roads being flushed regularly off the loose dust to get quick effect on better breathability. This is my opinion.
d2krish is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 17:36   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They have banned in NCR - how come Delhi transport even has jurisdiction over other states?

Completely senseless order, thankfully they have not mentioned about the fine in this notification.
This ban pertains only to Delhi, like it used to happen during odd/even days.. It does not cover Haryana or UP. Infact TOI or HT had a graphic in todays paper specific to this.

On the ground there seems to be no effect as BS3 and BS4(diesel) cars are freely moving on delhi roads.
trailblazer13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 19:39   #108
BHPian

Attaching the PDF that contains the notification from CAQM for GRAP Stage IV enforcement:

[ATTACH=Grap Order for implementation of actions under stage-iv.pdf]2375816[/ATTACH]

This was shared in one of my Telegram Groups sometimes during interevening night of Nov 3rd and 4rth. That's how I came to know about the ban on Non-BS VI Diesel Vehicles (i.e. pre April 01, 2020) on 4rth Morning. I had to WFH and arrange my meetings to avoid any adverse action.

I suppose CAQM is the nodal agency for any action (or mis-action or inaction) and its orders are then complied/enforced by relevant agencies like Delhi Transport Department, Police etc.

Quote:
I am not sure how strict is the enforcement of ban on private Non-BS VI Diesel Vehicles in delhi and adjoining NCR Districts. Please share more information on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It's just the sheer population of Delhi,.
You are right that the Delhi-NCR region has high density of population. Big population density results in high volume of traffic, high concentration of concrete structures, less green cover. This combined with other meteorological factors like wind direction etc results in accumulation of particulate material in this region.

Being a capital city as well city-state, Delhi has headquarters of different government departments/ministries. Delhi-NCR region is a job hub due to industrialization. Apart from this Delhi is a also an interchange hub for rail and roads. Though few 'bypass' like EPE, WPE have been constructed.

Fathom this: A software engineer from this part of the country (Punjab, Haryana, Himachal, UK, UP, J&K, Ladakh to name a few) will have to move to NCR (Noida/Gurgaon) to find a decent job. Due to cost of living (primarily real estate) or switching of job or marriage, this person might live in a different city then his/her work city.

This results on concentration of population in particular region as well as large volume of intercity commute.

Public Transport, especially Metro, is good but not always efficient in terms of time as compared to a vehicle. Commuting on many intercity routes using public transport is a nightmare.

Being part of software industry, I have always wondered why can't we decentralize and move our offices away from this region. After success of WFH in the last year, this might become a reality.
manchandap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 22:47   #109
BHPian

I am attaching the extract from the book The Maruti Story written by R.C. Bhargava.

Since 1999 Delhi had bad air quality and it was decided to introduce BS1 vehicles.

Even after 22 years Delhi is still in the same situation.

History repeats itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-img_20221105_224140.jpg  

bobbyblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 23:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
I am attaching the extract from the book

Since 1999 Delhi had bad air quality and it was decided to introduce BS1 vehicles.

Even after 22 years Delhi is still in the same situation.

History repeats itself.
So in roughly 22 years 6 different stages of BS norms have come into force, it's been more than 6 years that 10 year old Diesel Vehicles Pre BSIV and 15 year old Petrol vehicles have been mostly removed from the roads of Delhi for the benefit of the citizens living in Delhi, still the pollution reaches similar levels and time again the Vehicle users who are paying taxes through their nose whether it is GST on vehicles, Road Tax, exorbitant taxes on fuel are blamed for the pollution.

The only solution that seems to enforced by the government or relevant authorities is fine these users by banning their vehicles which are fully compliant with their pollution norms while the babus travel in 10 car convoy and janta suffers in the overloaded public transport.

The solution that is promised for the betterment of Delhiites does not seem to benefit the beneficiaries it was intended for, what such rulings seem to bring is only suffering. People being forced to retire their cars prematurely, when foreign countries having higher per capita income such as USA does not seem to have problem with such vehicles.

While they bring low floor buses as they want to implement X country model, Y country model they are least concerned with policies which are in favor of the tax payers.

If the diesel vehicles have been such big contributors of pollution so much then why not just stop the sale and usage of diesel vehicles and diesel fuel in Delhi and neighboring states, let the manufacturers sell CNG & petrol vehicles. Why let people pay taxes only to ban the usage of their completely functional and compliant vehicles within a short period of time with no relief in sight for these users. Why ban 15 year old petrol vehicles, make it compulsory to fit CNG in them so that they can be run on CNG with proper fitness renewals.

Only those rules are implemented which benefit the Manufacturers, government, Netas, Babus everybody knows how political system works whether it is rebuilding of roads every 4 to 5 months, excavation of roads every 2 weeks, don't know if it's true but read somewhere the Delhi government spent 23 crores on advertising stubble decomposer while spending 68 lakhs on the real cause, no smog tower in sight, more road tax & GST from registration of newer vehicles.

It is just a sorry state of affairs whether it is any independent authority, state government or the central government.

Last edited by revvharder : 5th November 2022 at 23:54.
revvharder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 01:07   #111
BHPian

Another politically motivated, thoughtlessly implemented policy by the Delhi government.
Blindly stopping Bs4/Bs3 cars will not stop pollution but stopping stubble burning will, but the government won’t implement that instead it will stop lakhs of diesel cars👎🏼
W16rocks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 01:21   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Technically, you can’t right now.

How do you distinguish a BS4 Fortuner from a BS6 Fortuner?
Through the 3rd HSRP, which is the mandatory sticker on the windshield. BS6 cars have a green strip on the top of these stickers.
Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 01:29   #113
BHPian

Just got a WhatsApp message from "Switch Delhi".

We have multiple cars/LCVs and HCVs. Which car is not allowed to play on Delhi's roads?

This just creates further confusion. How ill-planned and senseless can this action be? Really a very bad policy in every possible respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-screenshot_20221105205142_whatsapp.jpg  

mkaysaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 02:49   #114
BHPian

Wow, a 20000 fine sounds quite steep. The next few days should be rather interesting as I'm very interested in seeing how enforcement of this rule is going to play out. I smell a lot of selective enforcement and hassle for the common man...
lordtottuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 07:21   #115
BHPian

I drove from Delhi to Nainital yesterday.

The pollution level/ visible smog in the air was exactly the same as Delhi, almost right until 250 kms beyond Delhi, in areas where vehicular density was next to nothing.

Like a lot of others have already mentioned, the root cause of the issue is not being addressed, and soft targets are being attacked. Dimwits rule.
nvldvr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 11:42   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Technically, you can’t right now.

It’s a huge issue, how can they possibly implement this for private cars? There is no visual distinction between a BS4 and BS6 diesel car. My own Compass 2020 model is BS4 diesel. Petrol, BS4 diesel and BS6 diesel all look the same externally! How do you distinguish a BS4 Fortuner from a BS6 Fortuner? They can’t realistically flag down every car and check the RC to identify.
The traffic police can possibly judge the registration timeline of a vehicle by looking at the series of the number plate if I am not wrong (This can atleast be done for Delhi or NCR registered vehicles). The series can possibly tell a timeline of couple of months and vehicle with older series can easily be stopped for checking at the checkpoint.
FrAgile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 12:17   #117
BHPian

Ever since I received this WhatsApp and SMS from Transport Department
GNCTD, my brain has completely got fried. I drive a BS III Delhi Registered 2008 manufactured Gypsy, maintained in mint condition and looked after better than my other half and son. I dug out my pollution records from September and made a quick comparison with the Notification no: G.S.R. 881(E), Date of Notification 26 Nov 2021, CMVR amendment notification for emission norms with regards to BS – IV and BS – VI compliant vehicles available on https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...ications.xhtml

The comparison is this:

Now can the powers to be and the highly enlightened decision-makers explain why I should keep my parked and not drive it when necessary? ( I drive very infrequently and mostly short runs).

Many BHPians have pointed out and underlined the real issues, but, that is beyond the control and comprehension of our elected representatives, who are used to window-dressing problems, punishing taxpayers and hiding policy flaws with absurd knee-jerk reactions. Basically, we are a bunch of morons, who live in a banana republic where there is maximum government and zero governance. At this rate, next, they will ask the Kebab Shops and Tandoor outlets to shut next. Live in the south of Delhi where pre and post-Diwali, Chath etc, and T20 matches, “extremely environmentally conscious” and “learned souls” are bursting crackers every now and then to celebrate AQI readings. This is a scam in its entirety. Had I had the wherewithal’s of Vitamin M and time would have gone to court on this. Unfortunately, I belong to the majority who sulk in solitude and roast in self-pity.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-pollution-comparison.png  

Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-pollution.jpg  

Last edited by iMASKARAN : 6th November 2022 at 12:22. Reason: mis spelt
iMASKARAN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 12:33   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that the AQI is back below 400, down from severe category to only poor, the notification banning the use of BS4 diesels in Delhi has become untenable. This was to be implemented only when the AQI dropped into the severe category, which it no longer is. With stubble burning tapering off, it should stay in this poor category for the near future.

Will the powers at be take back this draconian rule? Or will it ‘unofficially ’remain in place for the purpose of generating revenue and grease money?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 13:17   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Now that the AQI is back below 400, down from severe category to only poor, the notification banning the use of BS4 diesels in Delhi has become untenable. This was to be implemented only when the AQI dropped into the severe category, which it no longer is. With stubble burning tapering off, it should stay in this poor category for the near future.

Will the powers at be take back this draconian rule? Or will it ‘unofficially ’remain in place for the purpose of generating revenue and grease money?
In the official notification issued by CAQM on 3rd November, they had already mentioned in the end the review will happen on 6th November as 2 days of good winds should help reduce the pollution. Hopefully they take it back today evening.
prateekchanana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 17:06   #120
BHPian

With such lunatic rules I don't understand the logic behind PUC Certificates. Is the PUC certificate lying about my 9 yrd old Figo diesel?

I was milking the last few days of my figo as it isn't allowed to be driven for more than 10 yrs here. And just when a few months were left, they've banned it despite having a PUC certificate.

This is totally absurd and irrational.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks