Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2022, 01:04   #91
BHPian

Re: Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution

Some people here have aptly summed up the prejudice of authorities when it comes to private vehicles. I am sure that most well maintained vehicles will pollute less than 3 wheeled “jugaads”, a few ill maintained two wheelers, et al plying on Delhi roads.

I believe that the authorities should refund us for road tax on prorata basis for the number of days our vehicles are deemed illegal to ply on Delhi’s majestic roads.
TDIRaghav is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 02:38   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post

In spite of spending billions of dollars on public transport, Delhi continues to be biased towards personal transport. .
Among all the Indian cities that I have seen, Delhi has the BEST public transport.

- Metro covers almost all important points in Delhi, and is only growing.
- Last mile connectivity is now easier with e-Autos
- The intra-city DTC buses serve the masses well (free transport for ladies)

It's just the sheer population of Delhi, high per capita income (affordability of cars) & superior road infrastructure (relative to let's say Bangalore) that results in a greater number of cars on the road.
Eddy is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 06:13   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

As per this report, even the BS3 petrol cars are banned from today.

Link

God forbid, if after these measures, there is change in air flow and the AQI decreases due to it, the morons at policy making levels will say that the ban on cars has brought down the pollution levels. Crazy.
BoneCollector is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 07:35   #94
Team-BHP Support

Can someone point to the official notification? I can’t see anywhere on Delhi Police's twitter where they are usually active.

It is almost impossible to identify BS4 and BS6 vehicles, as mentioned by others. I regularly see much older cars in Delhi plying without even bothering about 10-year rules. Frankly, unless someone stops you for a check, how can you tell the differences between an 11-year-old swift and an 8-year-old swift? Same for many vehicles like Innova and Fortuner. It’s only if you are stopped for a reason; perhaps cops can confiscate your vehicle but rarely seen.

Odd/ Even may work better, but better if they ban CNG, too, else everyone will have their cars converted to CNG by fixing stickers overnight (Yeh Dilli Hai Mere Yaar)

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2022 at 07:38.
Turbanator is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 08:41   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

It's just the sheer population of Delhi, high per capita income (affordability of cars) & superior road infrastructure (relative to let's say Bangalore) that results in a greater number of cars on the road.
Pls understand that what is commonly called Delhi consists of Delhi + the sister cities of Gurgaon, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Noida, Greater Noida and now even Sonipat. Solutions that don’t cover the entirety of NCR will never have the desired results.

Metro provides good coverage in Delhi, but has limited connectivity in the sister cities.

Intra NCR connectivity sucks. Be it by road or by metro, everything is connected through Delhi only. For example, if I have to go from Faridabad to Noida or Ghaziabad, I HAVE TO go to Delhi first. Similarly, anyone wanting to go from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon or Noida or Faridabad or Sonipat has to cross the entirety of Delhi. And so on. Additionally, the fact that all these cities are industrialised, and there is ample goods movement between them. This is the basic cause of congestion. If Delhi’s population is 3cr, add to it another 1-1.5cr of the adjoining NCR cities combined.

Unless this basic issue of intra NCR connectivity is fixed, Delhi will remain extremely congested.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th November 2022 at 08:43.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 09:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
As usual, throwing water away from the fire to extinguish it. The authorities know how to make politically safe decisions knowing the middle class with BS4 vehicles won't create much of an outcry either. On the other hand, old government Boleros and Innova Crystas will continue to run freely in the capital since these run on air.
The NGT, supreme court and both Center and State governments want to look like they're doing something without actually doing something.
sid3091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 09:14   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can someone point to the official notification? I can’t see anywhere on Delhi Police's Twitter where they are usually active.
It’s all very confusing. CAQM ordered the ban on 3rd November with immediate effect but no proper notification. In fact I was in my banned car on road without any issue yesterday and only came to know about this after reading the teambhp thread. The Delhi pollution control division notified this yesterday as attachment below but it still not properly advertised and is bound to cause a lot of confusion. I think all the borders around Delhi will be choked up today with the trucks which were already enroute before this rule came up causing even more pollution.

Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-aeb20fb6023447d78e30211a0ac6d85c.jpeg
prateekchanana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 09:21   #98
Team-BHP Support

They have banned in NCR - how come Delhi transport even has jurisdiction over other states?

Completely senseless order, thankfully they have not mentioned about the fine in this notification.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 09:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Technically, you can’t right now.

It’s a huge issue, how can they possibly implement this for private cars? There is no visual distinction between a BS4 and BS6 diesel car. My own Compass 2020 model is BS4 diesel. Petrol, BS4 diesel and BS6 diesel all look the same externally! How do you distinguish a BS4 Fortuner from a BS6 Fortuner? They can’t realistically flag down every car and check the RC to identify.

All in all, expect extra congestion on account of a few check posts they will set up for this.

At the end of the day, it’s a brainless rule to target a politically convenient section of society while skirting the root causes away.
I think the 3rd registration plate (window sticker) mentions the Bharat stage
lemedico is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:07   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I think the 3rd registration plate (window sticker) mentions the Bharat stage
It doesn't mention the stage but there is a difference in the new stickers which became mandatory sometime back. BS VI stickers have a green line on top but the old ones on BS III and BS IV don't.

Attached Thumbnails
Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-hsrpcolorcoded3rdregistrationplate1024x395.jpg  

prateekchanana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

Business as usual on Delhi roads today morning. Lots of Bs4 vehicles roaming around and didn't see a single check point or a traffic cop checking it. Seems like either people are clueless about this ban or they simply don't care about this Draconian rule which makes no sense at all.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 11:52   #102
BHPian

For those wondering why the same 'Aam Janta' that start making a big hue and cry about pettiest of issues seems disinterested to NGT's ill-though and irrational laws, the reason is simple, public to law enforcers majority either don't know or don't care. A quick glance at Delhi traffic and you can still spot older vehicles chugging happily on the roads. While many keep plying rest choose to take their vehicles to nearby cities. A fine example, recently in my neighborhood reached two Delhi registered cars first a 1st gen Honda Accord (Petrol) and the second being a 1st gen Hyundai Creta Diesel. I'm sure RC of both the cars have been cancelled.
In the end, from government to public everyone is playing passing the parcel. No one is giving a modicum of rational thought on eliminating bigger and known issues. Like stubble burning, construction activity, plying of overloaded transport vehicles, white smoke spewing two-wheeler (which might even make the mighty V12-powered cars look like saints), etc.
And those asking what will happen to the government vehicles, read the notification they are exempt because they provide 'ESSENTIAL SERVICES'. But the smart folks giving the order didn't care to mention what comes under essential services in case of LMVs. Going by the logic from doctor to fireman to your doodhwala to even the sabjiwala are all essential. Long story short for all us engineers, managers, CAs, businessman, artists, etc the unsaid verdict is junk your ICE cars and get that EV, update your instagram, facebook, whatsapp, tinder, etc profile with tags #cleanair, #ecofriendlylife #facepalm_to_NGTs_ban .
AROO7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It is almost impossible to identify BS4 and BS6 vehicles, as mentioned by others. I regularly see much older cars in Delhi plying without even bothering about 10-year rules. Frankly, unless someone stops you for a check, how can you tell the differences between an 11-year-old swift and an 8-year-old swift? Same for many vehicles like Innova and Fortuner. It’s only if you are stopped for a reason; perhaps cops can confiscate your vehicle but rarely seen.
Not sure how it it being done, but today i saw multiple checkpoints with traffic cops all using their phones to input car numbers in some app. I couldn't get details as they were busy, but it seemed like they could identify the BS stage of the vehicle through the same and were targeting the non-compliant ones.
Jekyl87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 12:45   #104
BHPian

I would love to know how the situation and implementation is going to be in the next few days. Since Delhi and its adjoining cities have many industrial establishments, how they are going to manage with transportation of their goods now being restricted. Since most of them can't convert their fleet to a commercial EV (is there any in India?) or commercial petrol truck (don't know if they exist either). If traffic cops do try to implement this witless rule, they would definitely target commercial vehicles before private ones.

I think with NGT coming up with new aces up its sleeves, people in Delhi should really think about switching to EV now because who knows may be after a couple of years they may target even BS6 petrol specially after implementation of adulterated fuel (I mean flex fuel) like this and so on. Feels like living in a first world country with third world govt. No personal offence intended.
Old 5th November 2022, 12:46   #105
BHPian

At the cost of repeating what has already be said, the concerned authorities have turned a blind eye to the problems of the common man. They just need to "show" that they are doing something and they are going for what is easiest.

It is very difficult to enforce such a ban. A vehicle needs to be stopped, and then details will have to be checked in the Vahaan database to determine the emission norms that the car adheres to.

The only issue is, once a ban comes to effect, then it may take a considerable time for the authorities to remove it - and till then all the impacted will suffer.

I personally need to commute from Delhi to Gurgaon 2 to 3 times a week and I used Shuttl before Covid - however, now I prefer my car. Still thinking what I will do from Monday.

It's a very sorry state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
Not sure how it it being done, but today i saw multiple checkpoints with traffic cops all using their phones to input car numbers in some app. I couldn't get details as they were busy, but it seemed like they could identify the BS stage of the vehicle through the same and were targeting the non-compliant ones.
Yes, they can access the Vahan database through their handheld devices and determine the emission compliance of the vehicle. They can also generate the challan on the spot through these handheld devices.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2022 at 12:55. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Please use multi quote.
anand_roy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks