Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 10:51   #31
BANNED

Re: Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution

NGT is a way to showcase how to do stuff with no end result but lot of pain for normal citizens. The Delhi Goverment and Central Goverment doesnot care about salaried class pain points due to there no Logic policies . In the end common salaried citizens are easy target as we are not united like farmers. Suppose all citizens in delhi choke roads at designated time protesting against NGT nonsense decisions we will see immediate relief .
Old 18th July 2022, 11:04   #32
BHPian

Quick Question: The ban will be temporary till the AQI level is above 450 and removed when it is not OR it is a blanket ban if ever the AQI level breaches 450 mark??
Old 18th July 2022, 11:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
-Stop stubble burning? ✖

-Stop garbage burning? ✖

-Clean up the river? ✖

-Regulate industrial emissions and waste? ✖

-Better city planning, ease congestion? ✖

-Streamlined, efficient public transport? ✖

-Enforce proper PUC checks? ✖

-Increase green cover? ✖

-Ban cars? EUREKA!!
Population control? Maybe we are just too many. Above measures will only buy us some time.
attinder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:36   #34
BHPian

I find this issue, a huge matter of concern.

I have a 2018 Creta, it has covered 1.25L KM.

I travel large distances in NCR, avg 50-150 km per day.

A diesel vehicle makes significant sense.

I have maintained my vehicle thoroughly, all servicing, PUC, everything. Even the engine oil I use is of a higher spec than that recommended by Hyundai.

What is the point of systems of pollution checking if the govt themselves don't trust it? What is the large distance commuter supposed to do? All these half measures crop up every winter, its extremely irritating.
shivs2003 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:50   #35
BHPian

Are these guys smoking pot during the day ?

Although this is still a "may be", but what if they really implement it.

What will happen to the Diesel cars?

BS4 cars were sold till 2020. What about these almost new cars ?
What about the losses of these BS4 diesel car owners. I am also one of these ?

Electric cars are still out of the league to travel long out of town distances and are impractical on that front. Charging times are still long and don't make it viable to travel to far off or remote locations.

Petrol is expensive and less efficient.

Ban on diesel cars is not the solution.
v_safari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:40   #36
d.j
BHPian

I doubt its happening soon, possibly just a news for set of target audience or about a sense of action plan on the table, such heterogenous nature problems cannot be justified simply by data, needs lot of pollical will and with the current economic situation around business, recession fears and high inflation – doubt they would try and upset any commons or corporates, at least in time today or nearest future.

But if they do, it’s one of reason why we face what a developed country doesn’t faces.

Regards/DJ
Old 18th July 2022, 16:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
BS4 cars were sold till 2020. What about these almost new cars ?
What about the losses of these BS4 diesel car owners. I am also one of these ?
Electric cars are still out of the league to travel long out of town distances and are impractical on.
It is ridiculous that an honest tax payer who has purchased a car after paying his taxes and indeed has paid more taxes on the purchase of the said car, is penalised in this way for no fault of his/ hers.

Especially when there are so many other things causing pollution.

Ref EV’s as I ve said earlier the production of a new EV will create more emissions than a man driving his well maintained old car. And not a single soul in this NGT or Government or Bureaucracy has even thought of proper safe disposal of used EV batteries. Thats another massive ‘earth poison’ which is inevitable.

The NGT and Govt at the very least has to publish all the relevant data which is driving these draconian decisions.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Are these guys smoking pot during the day ?

What will happen to the Diesel cars?
What will happen to Diesel? Already people are reluctant to buy diesel cars. Would the government dump diesel back in the ground.
Old 18th July 2022, 16:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Now that the same party rules both Delhi & Punjab I wonder what they will do to curb stuble burning in the fields of Punjab & Haryana that blows an ill wind into Delhi each winter in November? Or if they don't intend to do much whom will they blame!!
I am attending to some work in Punjab and just today morning was having the exact discussion with a local here about what the state government will do this year since they are now ruled by the same party. He was of the opinion that farm burning has been minimal this year but let's see. Personally, I don't expect much change.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 17:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading this article gives me the impression that it will be a temporary ban like the odd-even scheme perhaps. Basically, owners cannot drive their BS4 diesels while the AQI remains in the severe category (14 days?). Not an absolute ban like the NGT one which prohibits any 10yr old diesel from plying in Delhi 365x24x7.

Quoting from the article, emphasis mine.

Quote:
Among other things, the new policy proposes a ban on BS-IV four-wheelers, except for essential services, in and around Delhi if the air quality index (AQI) goes above 450.
Dry Ice is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 19:26   #41
BHPian

I get why people are riled up, but also let's be honest BSIV cars do pollute a lot. If the AQI is over 450, that means the air is extremely nasty and carcinogenic. Any measure to bring that number down is on the table and should be taken seriously. The fact that it happens every year should not make us cavalier about air quality, which plays a great role in health and quality of life. I'd rather not be able to drive my diesel car than breathe that kind of air. Of course banning cars can't be everything. The vile central visa project is causing so much earth to be dug up and so much dust to be released into the atmosphere that it should never have been greenlit. Delhi cannot withstand it. But our babus and ministers are stupid, vain and cruel to a degree not found elsewhere. That is why ultimately not much good can happen in Delhi (and possibly the rest of the country). The best places in India are those that are farthest from the reach of the central government.
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 20:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Looks like back to square one, we know our govts incompetency, but expect them to solve all our issues. The city is choking with pollutants, your family health is severely getting affected.

It's not just Delhi, London is recording highest temperature ever, every city is suffering.

Instead of finding problems with EVs, try to understand why they are being promoted as an alternative to ICE cars.
Today, 92% of the battery materials are extracted from recycling, why would a 300kg Nexon EV battery ends up in landfill. This is not to say strict regulations are not required. A Nexon EV battery can be sold for few ten's of thousands after 15 years, at its EOL.

PS: I am not saying everyone to sell their ICE cars and buy EVs, when you have to change your car consider EV options. Leave all your apprehensions behind, they are all debunked multiple times. Yes, public transport is the best, the next best thing to replace your ICE car is EVs.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 20:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
-Stop stubble burning? ✖
-Stop garbage burning? ✖
-Clean up the river? ✖
-Regulate industrial emissions and waste? ✖
-Better city planning, ease congestion? ✖
-Streamlined, efficient public transport? ✖
-Enforce proper PUC checks? ✖
-Increase green cover? ✖
-Ban cars? EUREKA!!
For all the point marked X, Govt. needs to invest , Cars well they already got the tax money, let people suffer! One of the easiest way for Govt. wash their hands off! Cars(ICE/EV/Hybrid) have become the new cigarettes to Govt. They know, no matter what people will buy and pay taxes.

Last edited by PrideRed : 18th July 2022 at 20:32.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 20:43   #44
BANNED

For those who say BSIV pollute more, I wish to state today it is BSIV next year Government can very well say only EV allowed as BSVI pollute more !

Also would like to add Delhi Goverment has mandated that all privately owned public vehicles like taxis , auto etc will have to convert to electric whereas Delhi Goverment themselves are going to buy 1000’s CNG buses instead of electric ones.

As it is a common cause for Delhi NCR residents perhaps a day can be selected when no one will buy fuel to send message to people who make these stupid laws.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 18th July 2022 at 21:03.
Old 18th July 2022, 21:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

Instead of finding problems with EVs, try to understand why they are being promoted as an alternative to ICE cars.
So you are saying, dumping one million diesel vehicles running in good condition and replacing them with brand new EVs is going to solve pollution? How about wait until they get old and scrap them!

Not everyone has ready cash lying around to buy a brand new EV just because government wants us to.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks