Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 13:12   #211
BHPian

Re: Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
New construction of buildings, roads and flyovers is a major cause of pollution in Hyderabad.
New apartment and office construction is at an all time high thanks to apartment and office construction in Gachibowli and Kokapet areas. All roads are filled with construction and concrete mixer trucks. The construction debris in the air is at an all-time high.
Old 6th November 2023, 13:14   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The government of Delhi could ban around 1 million diesel vehicles, including private cars, if air pollution levels cross the AQI of 450.
It looks like Delhi politicians will fulfil my dream of owning a BMW 530d pretty soon by reducing the prices to new lows.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th November 2023 at 17:42. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Proofread before posting.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 16:53   #213
BANNED

UPDATE

Another pointless rule with absolutely 0 benefit, results to trouble the taxpayer - Odd Even is back from the 14th to the 20th of November.

Someone said above the cause for this is Delhi folks buying Bulky SUVs, building modern homes, spending lavishly is why the nature is fighting back and hence the pollution.
Respectfully, I don't drive a bulky SUV, my whole family lives in a home which is adequate for us, we don't spend lavishly so will the government allow my bs4 car to be driven in NCR? I didn't get your argument or is there any form, link where I need to register to be exempted?

My question is why police the hardworking junta? Yes, police the politicians who drive a fleet of SUVs, have multiple houses, spend lavishly but why a common man looking to support his family and have a normal life altogether?
bhphog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:44   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi brings back the Odd-Even scheme:

Quote:
In view of air pollution, the Odd-Even vehicle system will be applicable for one week from 13th to 20th November,
According to the Odd-Even system, the usage of vehicles will be restricted based on the last digit of their license plates.

Quote:
Under the Odd-Even scheme, vehicles with license plate numbers ending in an even digit (0, 2, 4, 6, 8) are allowed to operate on even dates, while those ending in odd digits (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) can ply on odd dates.

Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-fpmniabaaa4pjn.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th November 2023 at 17:48.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:45   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
We are not the first to face this problem in the world. We should learn from what other cities like Shanghai , Singapore etc are doing.
We should send our Indian delegation abroad to study what others are doing. Why reinvent the wheel in our Desi Jugaad ways.

I personally feel that buying a vehicle for Delhiite should be made in such a way that the tax is more than the vehicle invoice price like in Singapore. Create car pool lanes like in LA and other cities. I donot understand why our think tank cannot come up with a brilliant solution. Just give this problem to our youngsters in colleges as a competition and I am sure we will come up with many brilliant options.
Why should only Delhiites be targeted? According to statistics, cars and other vehicles only contribute 11% to the total pollution. Why shouldn’t the two wheelers which are the major polluter be banned?

Also unfair of you to suggest inflated taxes on just one state when the taxes are already about 50% of the car value. Why don’t you suggest similar taxes in Bangalore where the traffic condition is the worst and the driving sense is zero?
Old 7th November 2023, 10:11   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer5499 View Post
Why should only Delhiites be targeted? According to statistics, cars and other vehicles only contribute 11% to the total pollution. Why shouldn’t the two wheelers which are the major polluter be banned?
Vote bank. Everything is vote bank. That is the one and only things that drives these politicians. Everything else is secondary. They are not concerned about the health of the citizens; they are only concerned about how they can come back to power next time.

If they stop the two wheelers, they know that the public transport system is incapable of taking the load and the impact will be on the votes.

Currently, majority of the actions are towards banning four wheelers from the roads. But they will never have the guts to take action on the major root cause.
anand_roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:52   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

We needs SC to put a stop to stubble burning!

Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-fudifeaeaaepnu.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 13:14   #218
BHPian

I just find this odd-even rule so pointless. People (including me) tend to prefer having the same numbers on their cars and pay a bit extra for the same. I am not in Delhi but all my cars end with an even number. If something like this gets applied where I live, I am handicapped with literally no car. The public transport/taxi system near my area isn't very viable either. Luckily I can afford that relaxation in my office timings but what about those who can't. Surely they can implement something more reasonable.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 13:27   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I just find this odd-even rule so pointless. People (including me) tend to prefer having the same numbers on their cars and pay a bit extra for the same. I am not in Delhi but all my cars end with an even number. If something like this gets applied where I live, I am handicapped with literally no car. The public transport/taxi system near my area isn't very viable either. Luckily I can afford that relaxation in my office timings but what about those who can't. Surely they can implement something more reasonable.
What else can be expected from these useless guys who have done nothing so far to curb the pollution here. Both my cars are even numbers and I had to drop my wife and son at in laws on 13th. Now they will have to take the cab when there are 2 perfectly running cars at home. Idiocy at its best with these idiotic rules.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 13:47   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
We needs SC to put a stop to stubble burning!

Attachment 2527700

Good luck to the SC in implementing this. State govt will literally do nothing. There is a video from a couple of days ago where a state govt official was forced to light fire to the stubble (by the farmers) when he went to educate them to not burn stubble.

Votebank politics supersedes SC orders. After all what can SC do? Jail the CM?? Phbbttttttt
ValarMorghulis is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:34   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
What else can be expected from these useless guys who have done nothing so far to curb the pollution here. Both my cars are even numbers and I had to drop my wife and son at in laws on 13th. Now they will have to take the cab when there are 2 perfectly running cars at home. Idiocy at its best with these idiotic rules.
Is there any restriction on cabs like CNG only or BS6/4 Diesel only or all types of cabs are allowed during this odd-even times?
Old 7th November 2023, 18:54   #222
BHPian

It seems vehicle emissions contribution to Delhi's ongoing pollution crisis is 50-60% and stubble burning 25% according to Anumita Roychowdhury of CSE.

CSE is part of environmental committee set up by Supreme Court .

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...ndtv_topscroll

P.S: An Interesting fact:
Supreme Court's first judgement on Delhi Pollution dates back to 1985 which led to ban on small industries located within Delhi.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 7th November 2023 at 18:55.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 19:07   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
It seems vehicle emissions contribution to Delhi's ongoing pollution crisis is 50-60% and stubble burning 25% according to Anumita Roychowdhury of CSE.

CSE is part of environmental committee set up by Supreme Court .

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...ndtv_topscroll

P.S: An Interesting fact:
Supreme Court's first judgement on Delhi Pollution dates back to 1985 which led to ban on small industries located within Delhi.
It is true that Vehicular pollution is much more significant if you account for the yearly pollution but it is also the case that stubble burning and Diwali results in few days having exhorbitant pollution. Both are bad, nothing to choose between them.
Old 7th November 2023, 19:11   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Is there any restriction on cabs like CNG only or BS6/4 Diesel only or all types of cabs are allowed during this odd-even times?
Cabs in Delhi NCR have to be CNG fuelled or electric. Diesel cabs have been banned for quite some time now. There is no diesel run public transport of any kind in Delhi. Interstate diesel buses are allowed entry.

Cabs are exempt from odd-even restrictions. It applies to private vehicles only.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:45   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I just find this odd-even rule so pointless. People (including me) tend to prefer having the same numbers on their cars and pay a bit extra for the same. I am not in Delhi but all my cars end with an even number. If something like this gets applied where I live, I am handicapped with literally no car.
I'm in this exact situation. All cars have the same number which ends with an odd number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks