Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2023, 17:58   #181
BHPian

Re: Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution

Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai writes to Union Minister Bhupender Yadav, requesting him to "effectively ban the entry of vehicles non-compliant of BS VI norms into Delhi from neighboring states and also to ban such vehicles in NCR."

Instead of addressing the prime contributor(stubble burning) of this horrible AQI in the NCR region, these politicians now want to ban all non-BS VI vehicles.
If these trends continue, then the people of Delhi NCR will have to buy a new car every few years.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...056621576.html

https://x.com/ANI/status/1720700549757346237?s=20

Delhi could ban 1 million diesel vehicles to curb pollution-gopal-rai-4-nov-2023.png

Last edited by skywalker18 : 4th November 2023 at 18:02.
skywalker18 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:27   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker18 View Post
Instead of addressing the prime contributor(stubble burning) of this horrible AQI in the NCR region, these politicians now want to ban all non-BS VI vehicles.
If these trends continue, then the people of Delhi NCR will have to buy a new car every few years.
Politicians.

Divided by parties. United by idiocy.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:34   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
I was traveling from Delhi to Noida and there is police on every nook and corner in Delhi looking for diesel cars.
If you see , due to restrictions on travel plus 10 years registration has made buying Diesel a very risky proposition in Delhi NCR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Just curious. What will happen to all bs4 diesel cars registered until Mar 2020. Some of them would be just 3 years old. They are no longer allowed to run? What the customer should do with their cars?
This ban is only temporary for few days. It is not a permanent ban like 10/15 year rule. After the govt feels that AQI is under control, this bs4 diesell ban would be lifted. It has happened last year as well AFAIK.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 4th November 2023 at 18:37.
Old 4th November 2023, 18:45   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjuraju View Post
Well, the real reason is stubble burning in the adjoining states. I have traveled in the surrounding states during the same period and I have seen thousands of acres of land burning up producing tonnes of toxic smoke.

Now the authorities can't blame the real root cause of this problem as it is caused by farmers and farmers in India are a very sensitive issue. No politician will ever blame them for the smoke problem or take any action against them. So that leaves the general tax-paying citizens who pay to buy cars by investing a significant part of their tax-paid income to buy vehicles just to get tracked down and get penalized like criminals. It's sad but it's true and I can say one thing for sure even if there are zero cars on the road the smog problems will not get solved because the root cause of the problem was never addressed.
Couldn't agree more. All political parties make tall claims before every election. Not only to curb the farmers from burning stubble, but also to clean Yamuna. Neither of these issues have been solved. I had to sell my Oct 2014 Honda city diesel, which was well maintained, in pristine condition and non-polluting as per the PUC test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Its not a handful of govt officials or the govt that is causing pollution. Its the citizens.

Barring the winds all other factors contributing to the pollution is us. Most of us are voracious consumers and just consuming stuff at an alarming pace. The craze for big engine butch SUVs, new fancy houses, travelling and splurging on gizmos is all fuelling this pollution.
I am sorry but I beg to disagree. If what you said is true then Delhi/NCR would have been smoked all year long. Is it a coincidence that this severe issue happens only during the stubble burning season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker18 View Post
Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai writes to Union Minister Bhupender Yadav, requesting him to "effectively ban the entry of vehicles non-compliant of BS VI norms into Delhi from neighboring states and also to ban such vehicles in NCR."

Instead of addressing the prime contributor(stubble burning) of this horrible AQI in the NCR region, these politicians now want to ban all non-BS VI vehicles. If these trends continue, then the people of Delhi NCR will have to buy a new car every few years.
This only goes on to prove that PUC is the biggest sham going on for decades which has the sanction and blessings of all political parties.
GTX+ is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 19:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
This ban is only temporary for few days. It is not a permanent ban like 10/15 year rule. After the govt feels that AQI is under control, this bs4 diesell ban would be lifted. It has happened last year as well AFAIK.
It isn't like the previous 10/15 Year old ban was effective in curbing the pollution or the 10/15 Year old vehicles were to be blamed for the pollution.

Earlier Diwali/Firecracker used to be blamed as the October timing would coincide with stubble burning and this time the politicians or NGT have no one to blame as Diwali is in November and they are just waiting for it to pass and tings going back to normal.

What these bans could solve ? They only pave a clear way for more draconian rules like this at the expense of mango man.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 22:28   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
. Not sure why Hyderabad is also higher.
New construction of buildings, roads and flyovers is a major cause of pollution in Hyderabad.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 23:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
This only goes on to prove that PUC is the biggest sham going on for decades which has the sanction and blessings of all political parties.
It always has been. In my hometown Guwahati, for last the last few years, if you do not get a new PUC before the expiry, you will be penalized 500 INR. So, you need a PUC even if you are away and the vehicle is not in use to avoid being penalized.
skywalker18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 00:58   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Now that the same party rules both Delhi & Punjab I wonder what they will do to curb stuble burning in the fields of Punjab & Haryana that blows an ill wind into Delhi each winter in November? Or if they don't intend to do much whom will they blame!!
Well the Delhi govt had all the technical data till 2020-2021 however post that, as per the Delhi Education minister, data is not available currently for them to take action. You know what I mean. So then it's just us car owners to be blamed

But hey, now it's the UP winds blowing the opposite direction which is causing the smog in Delhi.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 10:03   #189

If someone from outside Delhi wants to buy and bring a bs4 diesel or bs3 petrol car to his home state, how will he get out of Delhi driving the vehicle without paying the fine. Buyers from my place in Karnataka frequently go to Delhi to get these vehicles. What is the solution for them.
Uqaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 11:03   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post

I am sorry but I beg to disagree. If what you said is true then Delhi/NCR would have been smoked all year long. Is it a coincidence that this severe issue happens only during the stubble burning season?
Where did I say that stubble burning is not contributing to the mess. Infact due to green revolution and farmers opting for more cash crops, the area under paddy cultivation has increased over the years leading to more stubble getting burnt.
Old 5th November 2023, 12:44   #191
BHPian

Off topic:
What Delhi is experiencing Mumbai will deal with in a few years time thanks to Mumbai's coastal roads development and metro.Already AQI is at unhealthy levels in Mumbai despite a sea coast.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 13:00   #192
BHPian

It is sad that they are not acknowledging the real reason for the toxic air pollution. In fact, in Punjab they had made a team at the ground level to stop stubble burning but it seems it is not enough to have any major impact.

Infact the following was in the news -

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...ular-editorial

A govt. official there to prevent stubble burning was forced to set a heap of hay on fire by 50-60 farmers in Bathinda and they were very proud of making him do so otherwise they would not let him go.

The main problem lies in sensitizing the farmers on the impact and even people to be considerate. But we live in a society where NANO was seen as a poor man's car and SUVs are topping the charts. Buying unnecessary clothes every year, spending on new electronics every 6 months, wasting tonnes of food grains, all these need to stop.

Going to old habit of carrying cloth bags for shopping, walking or cycling to market, using items till they are past their life, eating less processed food, making sustainable choices should come naturally to us.

And this is just the beginning. Things will get worst in the coming years if our conscious doesn't wake up. Right now its delhi, then it will be other cities as well.
NavtejS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 13:04   #193
BHPian

Talk about relatively smaller cities like Pune where I'm seeing the worst air quality in last 5 years that I've been living here. If I go out on my bike it almost feels like I'm eating dust rather than breathing air. Worst part is I still see ample of heavy vehicles spewing black charcoal like smoke moving freely without any issues in peak hour traffic while I got a challan the very next day my car's PUC certificate expired... so much for dealing with pollution.
Somil07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 13:10   #194
BHPian

Unfortunately we are paying for the poor governance of our politicians. They don't know enough and they do not take the advice of the bureaucrats. First we had this NGT banning petrol/diesel cars for 15/10 years. This is the most unscientific decision as the data shows that at best ICE vehicles (two, three and four) wheelers contribute to 12-14% of the total pollution. One should note that the two wheelers are responsible for a huge amount of pollution that is completely uncontrolled. Many of them are two stroke oil burners which release a lot of particulate matter.

Well I guess the car owner is very easy to collar and so he is hit. The farmer is difficult to penalize and also has not been dealt with fairly in the past 10-15 years. AAP is like all other parties - not tackling the problem but running away from it. When will politicians realize that unrealistic promises are the death knell of democracy.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 14:28   #195
BANNED

Spend the money of a hard working taxpayer (actually not hard-working as per the Infosys Founder), trouble them with pointless policies with zero results to pursue the act of developments is politics and governance 101.

Policing the general public without any concrete data to support their hypothesis is just plain bullying.
Why doesn't the government subsidize people exchanging bs3,bs4 cars for bs6 cars?

We are expected to swap our perfectly fine cars at our expense to support thier political cause?
I mean, chat gpt would come up with better ideas than this.
bhphog is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks