Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 14:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Vinit,

Very very sorry to hear your ordeal man. Having to see the new car in a workshop within the first week is the most painful thing to any car owner. I think I lost the count of the expletives I must have used for Jeep when I came to know of this incident. While there have been many a satisfied ownership reviews on the forum, yours comes as a grim reminder that the best of the brands fail. I hope the car is rectified/resolved of whatever the issues and you are back behind the wheel enjoying what you do the most - driving.

Having experienced the parent co i.e Fiat's callous attitude towards its customer and the over the top price bracket is what forced me to stay away from the brand.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:37   #47
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home

Really pathetic situation, Vinit !!

The number of things that have gone wrong in this debacle is just staggering:

1. How can 2 catastrophic failures happen in a brand new vehicle? Are we still in the 19th century?

2. Does QC/QA exists at Jeep?

3.. What did the dealer do as part of the PDI? Shouldn't oil leaks be spotted in PDI?

4. A customer is stranded on a freaking expressway, that too with his family and JEEP had the guts to tell the customer that your RSA is not activated yet, so we can't tow the vehicle? Wow! Talk about ownership and accountability and customer focus!!

5. Why does it take 2 days to register RSA in this age?

6. A customer is going through mental agony being stranded on expressway on Saturday morning and JEEP/Dealer very casually says ....workshop is closed on Sunday and investigation would happen only on Monday?
Wow! The manufacturer and dealer should get a medal for their extreme customer focus!

7. The car breaks down again on the next Saturday and again nobody from Jeep is willing to spoil their weekend and attend to the car on Sunday? How much apathetic can one get?

8.. It's the third day today since the 2nd breakdown and the customer has not been provided a loaner car! Isn't ANYBODY at Jeep/Landmark bothered about what the customer is going through?

Sorry to say Vinit, but I am not really getting any positive vibes either from the manufacturer or the dealer. Completely unprofessional set of people who don't give two hoots about the customer's plight.

Please be polite but firm while dealing with them. Make sure that you get proper answers about why things happened this way and what are they going to do so that at least your rest of ownership experience would be good going forward. Please don't hesitate to knock on the doors of consumer forum if you see pathetic attitude from Jeep/Landmark.

Having said all of that, I really wish that this ordeal gets over really really fast and you get well compensated for your pain. All the best! Do reach out if I can be of any assistance.

Last edited by SDP : 18th July 2022 at 15:40.
SDP is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

I am sad, but not entirely surprised. I experienced an issue during my Linea's delivery whereby the washer wiper module went kaput, the pipe was found cut and even after fixing a new one the washer couldnt work, They traced it to the fact that the entire steering assembly was faulty! And this when I was about to start my car for the first time from the dealership. I was besides myself with rage and barged straight into the dealership GM' s cabin interrupting his meeting , who in turn redirected my ire towards his staff, telling that everything else is to be kept aside and the car needs to be fixed. He also issued warning memo to the Sales Assistant (whether it was for effect or for real, god knows). After that I never had any issues with the car. But all this was back in 2011. Looks like old habits are hard to get rid of. I hope your experience turns just as well once the car is sorted out.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th July 2022 at 15:44.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
If only I had checked out the twitter page of Jeep India prior to buying I would have changed my decision. There is a daily barrage of complaints from new owners with issues ranging from long standing unresolved complaints to shoddy paintwork. Even TATA and MG twitter pages don't have such consistent negative tweets.
My minimal grey Jeep Compss too had lot of shoddy paint work especially on bonnet. I was furious when i went for PDI. The dealership offered to repaint which I refused. I'm confident they will do worst then Jeep Compass. Lord save FCA.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-img20220707wa0021.jpg  

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-img20220707wa0022.jpg  

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-img20220707wa0012.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 18th July 2022 at 16:05. Reason: JC= Jeep Compass. Strictly no acronyms/ short forms please. Thanks.
knightfurry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:06   #50
BHPian

Why wouldn't someone who has spent so much money on a brand new car get sentimental when this ordeal happens to them?
It does not matter how expensive or cheap the item is, having bought something with your hard earned money and then seeing it break down like this is definitely shattering! So one can only imagine what Vinit is going through right now!
Having suffered a similar breakdown recently, I can completely relate to Vinit not having the confidence to take the car out on a long drive again, lest something like this is to happen again!

I think, instead of handing over advice to Vinit at this stage, we should help him by spreading the word, sharing this thread amongst our network to the extent that someone senior from Jeep takes notice of this PR nightmare and offers him an appropriate resolution ASAP!

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th July 2022 at 20:02. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted. Thank you!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you get a resolution at the earliest. However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.. Unfortunately, you were at the receiving end of this one.

The Compass is one of the most beloved cars in the Team BHP community. Multiple posts are there which talk about the Compass being the best real SUV on sale in India. The build quality is far better than the competition.

I hope the dealership is able to solve all the teething troubles to your satisfaction. Expecting a full refund or another brand new car would be unrealistic.
I own a 12 year old Toyota Fortuner and while I’ve already posted a thread on the goof up that one of the Toyota dealers did during my last service, my trusted Toyota dealer here in Bombay offered a free suspension checkup inclusive of labour to diagnose the issue, because that’s what Toyota does. They had no reason to do so but they value the customer a lot and that’s what Toyota does at the end of the day.

Vinit bhai has “invested” 35 lakhs of his hard earned money on a car and all he expects in return is reliability and no PDI issues, which in my honest opinion, is very fair. And talking about bad lemons, this isn’t an one off issue. Multiple Compass and Meridian owners have been dealing with similar problems, pan India.

To sum it up, anyone in Vinit bhai’s position would feel the same and go through the same agony, if they don’t see the dealer being proactive in resolving the customer’s issue during the first week of delivery itself. While the compass maybe a great car, FCA’s lackadaisical attitude doesn’t warrant or justify people buying their cars, simply because of the horrors they might have to face down the road

Cheers
KK2001 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you get a resolution at the earliest. However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.. Unfortunately, you were at the receiving end of this one.
For the sake of conversation, lets agree to your point that a few lemons pass the QC.
In that case, isn't it Jeep's job to take the car back & give him a defect free car. Or at least refund him the money.
Will you pay for someone's mistake?! So why should Vinit.

Vinit, see how things unfold in the next few days. Whatever diagnosis they do, take it in writing. Nothing verbal.

Also if & when FCA officials come to diagnose the car, make sure you make yourself available.
If you find their diagnosis not upto your mark or feel that they're trying out various things, don't take the car. Listen to your gut feeling.

Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 18th July 2022 at 16:44.
powertrain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 17:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Quote from famous Scottish philosopher Thomas Carlyle comes to my mind when I read your comments.

Speech is silver. Silence is golden.

Please take it in the right spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I write this with the utmost regret, horror and, for a better lack of word, disgust. This is the second weekend I'm without the jeep in the first week of ownership.

JEEP, don't make me hate what I love doing most!
No words can comfort you enough. Just be aware that you are not alone. As Mod SDP said, here is a community who is ready to help you beyond just words. All you need to do is ask.
RaghuVis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 18:43   #54
BHPian

Fiat=Jeep=Solid build but quality?? They haven't learned from their past,
In other words, more chances of getting a lemon. You would be lucky to not get a lemon.
VAG has probably learnt a lesson and hence are trying to design cars that suit our conditions without sacrificing too much on the build as well as trying to reduce ownership cost.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 23:54   #55
BHPian

Sad to hear your story vinit. But I won't bash the Jeep company. What did you expect? We all as bhpians should already know very well where the company stands in area of ownership experience. What I can't believe is that bhpians are still buying from manufacturers like Jeep, Tata, Mahindra, etc, and still expecting any level of reliability or accountability! Companies like Stellantis, Chrysler, etc are already considered as Stooges in the West too. In India, no matter how good a car is to drive, owning one is a totally different ball game. Even the government doesn't have enough guidelines to keep them in line. Why did you buy a Jeep bro??
I know most of us are enthusiasts but I believe experiencing a good-to-drive vehicle doesn't have to mean we go ahead and own one. I would either rent one if possible, or have a go at a friend's vehicle and be happy for a while. Owning one is asking for trouble! As you should know already with what you went through. Hope you have a satisfactory resolution to this!

If a bhpian is going for these brands should mean that he/she accepts the unreliability and wishes to push luck. Or then he didn't go through the ownership threads enough. Am I missing something here?
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 00:49   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What I can't believe is that bhpians are still buying from manufacturers like Jeep, I know most of us are enthusiasts but I believe experiencing a good-to-drive vehicle doesn't have to mean we go ahead and own one. I would either rent one if possible, or have a go at a friend's vehicle and be happy for a while. Owning one is asking for trouble!
Yes you did miss out the fact that a car is a mechanical man made thing and things can go wrong.

I doubt how an enthusiast as you say should rent a car or drive a friends car and feel happy for sometime. How can any enthusiasm such as this count in an enthusiast? Owning a good looking and good driving car while being an enthusiast is asking for trouble? Not sure what you’re trying to communicate here

You’ve made sweeping assumptions bracketing reliability of Jeep and Tata together!
Old 19th July 2022, 01:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What I can't believe is that bhpians are still buying from manufacturers like Jeep, Tata, Mahindra, etc, and still expecting any level of reliability or accountability! Companies like Stellantis, Chrysler, etc are already considered as Stooges in the West too. In India, no matter how good a car is to drive, owning one is a totally different ball game. Even the government doesn't have enough guidelines to keep them in line. Why did you buy a Jeep bro??
I know most of us are enthusiasts but I believe experiencing a good-to-drive vehicle doesn't have to mean we go ahead and own one. I would either rent one if possible, or have a go at a friend's vehicle and be happy for a while. Owning one is asking for trouble! As you should know already with what you went through. Hope you have a satisfactory resolution to this!

If a bhpian is going for these brands should mean that he/she accep
Here are some statistics on reliability / dependability by JD Power as a reference.

Going by your logic, more than half of Team BHPians including myself here would need to sell their existing garages

My brand-new Jeep Compass breaks down twice in a week after delivery | EDIT: Now back home-21e0f35d07d344a2975edf9e190006bc.jpeg

Source : https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 02:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
However it would be unfair to criticize Jeep for this unfortunate incident. A few lemons do pass through the stringent QC checks in place even at the most technologically advanced manufacturing facilities.
Transmission fluid leak cannot be classified as "a lemon passing through QC checks", my friend. It is much more serious an issue than that. Even if you give Jeep the benefit of the doubt, there is absolutely no excuse for the callous attitude of the company and the dealer towards the unfortunate owner.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 08:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

All else is secondary - at the end of the day Vinit is a paying customer who expects a minimum level of service / quality of product that he's purchased.

This is gross deficiency of service. At the first breakdown, the least the deanship could have done is scrambled their demo / TD car to him and let him use it as a loaner till the issue is resolved. I would simply say Vinit was unlucky, but the way it is handled by the Landmark dealership and FCA shows the company's attitude towards the customer.

No doubt that the Compass is a good vehicle, and at one point of time I too considered it as a replacement of my Abarth, but despite being a Fiat owner, I'm going to have to think multiple times if I would ever consider another FCA product in India. Imagine if us enthusiasts have to go through such ordeals, I'm sure there must be many others who've gone through the same (just quietly).

Lets all get more publicity to this matter so that FCA hurries up with a resolution.
blackwasp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 09:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Vinit, really feel sorry for you and I hope FCA makes it up to you. Incidents like these really shake the confidence that we have in a brand and model. I hope you are able to enjoy the vehicle once all this is sorted out to your satisfaction. But this thread is doing no good to the brand.

A few months back I was in the market for a new car and Jeep Compass was the first vehicle that we test drove. The experience at the dealership in Pune was very good and they were willing to give us long test drives and as many test drives as we needed. We really liked the interiors and the look of the current model S. However a couple of things made us decide not to consider Jeep Compass.
  1. Price. At ~35 lakh rupees on road, it was not cheap by any means.
  2. Stories of rattles from different places reported by users.
  3. The dealer kept insisting that the Jeep Compass had a Crash Test safety rating of 5 stars. My question to them was, if it indeed had a 5 star rating why is that not advertised? I sent an email to the company and they promptly asked me for my contact details etc. and told me that the relevant department would get back to me. There was no further communication for another month (which means they do not have a closed system in place to monitor such things). I then sent another reminder and all that they did was to redirect the question back to the dealer. To cut the story short, they were never able to confirm if the EURO NCAP rating was applicable for the Indian model or not.

With that (and a few other reasons), we did not go with Jeep Compass. Your current experience just confirmed that we took the right decision.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks