Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 12:24   #436
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti Grand Vitara to debut on July 20 | Pre-bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujKapur View Post
Headsup display without Navigation is waste of efforts by the companies because that is what we see on day to day basis not speed.
Are you saying navigation is not displayed in heads-up display of Brezza and GV? What is the use of HUD then? Alright, cruise control data is displayed?
Old 4th August 2022, 14:47   #437
BHPian

Hyryder's Brochure lists Green Glass for Windshield/windows/rear glass as one of the feature. However, there is no mention of similar feature in the Grand Vitara's Brochure.

Can anyone who has seen both Hyryder and GV confirm whether there is any difference in type of glass between both the models?
Old 4th August 2022, 15:11   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone who has booked this got any confirmation regarding delivery date? We've got a delivery before 30th October mail.

Name:  IMG_20220804_132353.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  129.1 KB

We have not got any confirmation from Toyota as yet which was booked much earlier.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:14   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzilla View Post
Wow, these prices are very attractive. These undercut Creta by a lakh. And great pricing for the Strong Hybrid too at well below the 20plus pricing level we had all been fearing. Is this confirmed or speculation by media?

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...alsharebuttons
I don't think the Strong Hybrid makes sense for all. With a markup of 3.5 lacs means that strong hybrid(~ 4.5₹/km only fuel) will need to driven around 77k kms more to break even the cost when compared to the mild hybrid (7.5₹/km my personal fuel only cost on S-cross zeta AT 2020). if you are someone who drives like 80km per weekday, it will take approx. 2 more years to before the mileage advantage actually chips in and this will make the car age 4 years.

I believe (correct me please) Strong hybrids will have slightly more maintenance costs and should have More depreciation. Economically it does not make sense to go for strong hybrid for most of the consumers. If you have 120 plus kms per day every week day, then only then it starts to be feasible.

Another great disappointment is there is no All grip In AT variants. Can't the less skilled have some fun?

I am still to physically check upon GV

Drive Safe,

RaviCAR
RaviCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 16:46   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Has anyone who has booked this got any confirmation regarding delivery date? We've got a delivery before 30th October mail.
Booked the Vitara on the 13th of July. But have not received any such communication from Maruti or the dealer so far. Whom have you received this email from?
Old 4th August 2022, 18:50   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
I don't think the Strong Hybrid makes sense for all. With a markup of 3.5 lacs means that strong hybrid(~ 4.5₹/km only fuel) will need to driven around 77k kms more to break even the cost when compared to the mild hybrid (7.5₹/km my personal fuel only cost on S-cross zeta AT 2020). if you are someone who drives like 80km per weekday, it will take approx. 2 more years to before the mileage advantage actually chips in and this will make the car age 4 years.

I believe (correct me please) Strong hybrids will have slightly more maintenance costs and should have More depreciation. Economically it does not make sense to go for strong hybrid for most of the consumers. If you have 120 plus kms per day every week day, then only then it starts to be feasible.
There is also another aspect to look at. The 1.5 AT mild hybrid is drastically slow with 0 to 100 around 15+ secs. The strong hybrid should typically do around 12 secs looking as Yaris cross numbers. For this kind of performance gain, typically OEMs charge around 1.5 lakhs more at least. Look at kushaq 1.0 to 1.5 or korean 1.5 NA to 1.4 turbos. Now the hybrid hype deserves another lakh premium as most people want to experience something new tech plus some features are exclusive to strong hybrid like ventilated seats and similar. Now if you consider 15k annual running at FE of 15 and 20 kmpl real world mileage respectively, the recovery will appear faster at 30-35k savings per year.
dipen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 22:15   #442
Senior - BHPian

Interiors - for the most part - look good for a Maruti. You don't get a MS for its fit and finish anyway.

Two things that irk me the most are the VERY el-cheapo screaming cost cutting done in the glovebox, which is uninspiring, and the sunroof liner. I actually cannot believe the fact that even if you close the sunroof completely, you CANNOT prevent the heat from pounding through....which idiot at MS decided that it was a good idea? Minor annoyances include the ugly chrome grille and that silly ORVM design lifted straight off the hatchbacks. Plus, this car's got no real USP; instead, it just ruins the GV name plate.

I'd definitely choose this one over its Toyota equivalent though, if I ever wanted to get one of these (highly unlikely).
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 00:11   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post

Maybe but the environment cost also comes into play here though right? It is supposed to be an in between ICE and electric after all!
Old 5th August 2022, 10:01   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
There is also another aspect to look at. The 1.5 AT mild hybrid is drastically slow with 0 to 100 around 15+ secs. The strong hybrid should typically do around 12 secs looking as Yaris cross numbers. For this kind of performance gain, typically OEMs charge around 1.5 lakhs more at least. Look at kushaq 1.0 to 1.5 or korean 1.5 NA to 1.4 turbos. Now the hybrid hype deserves another lakh premium as most people want to experience something new tech plus some features are exclusive to strong hybrid like ventilated seats and similar. Now if you consider 15k annual running at FE of 15 and 20 kmpl real world mileage respectively, the recovery will appear faster at 30-35k savings per year.
I agree with the added benefit of power, perhaps overtaking could be a lot less planned. In my car it needs to be planned and sometimes aborted. Though the increase in power is not enough to me to shell my dimes.

I also agree to the urge to own new tech, and the high it gives. I was devouring this car for the very same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyaravi89 View Post
Maybe but the environment cost also comes into play here though right? It is supposed to be an in between ICE and electric after all!
No body (read Majority) even governments(read all) want to pay for the environment, in India or the world. We as populace could not even carry cloth bags which our parents readily took with them to grocery shopping. I firmly believe in prevalent Indian "kitna deti hai" lingo the Economic considerations will dissuade most prospective calculative buyers from strong hybrid. For those who can't or won't calculate, this is heaven.

If only the the Hybrid batteries could be charged externally and E. motor would be powerful enough on itself and those 25km can always be used by electrical charging that true true Hybrid Car...Yes then it would have been amazing. (Too much visualization... This would have pushed the costs to 30 lac)

Last edited by RaviCar : 5th August 2022 at 10:09. Reason: Correcting typos
Old 5th August 2022, 10:31   #445
BHPian

My take on 1.5 Mild Hybrid engine.

I have been hating Maruti ever since they decided to do cheap out on build quality with Baleno. But this AWD variant of Maruti Toyota made me genuinely interested. Hence the obvious choice would be the Mild Hybrid engine.

XL6 will be closest match in weight if not driving dynamics to GV/HY. I decided to have longer test drive of same and try to absorb the characteristics of this engine. Started off with a smaller drive in first week of July in dense city traffic. Having owned Polo petrol, Punto diesel, Figo 1.5 tdci (current car). Coming from that it was a drastic shift when I drove the engine for first time. The gearshift and clutch was such a relief. This felt much smoother even when compared to Polo petrol(NA) i had. The low end torque for city traffic is good. It does not even mind if lugged on higher gears. This is rare in petrol engines but a worthy characteristic for someone in metro city doing office commutes.

Had another stint with manual XL6 on 30 July. This was an Automatic and route included atleast 5 kms of traffic and then 15 kms of empty service lanes of Noida-Greater Noida Highway. I was bashing Maruti to price this Aisin gearbox at a premium of 1.5L but after the drive my perception was changed. I mostly shifted with paddle shifters. Lag was minimal. The Engine does have a flat spot around 3-4k rpm but nothing that is a huge bummer. Plus the exhaust note is a music. Even with Automatic the low end was sorted. Its only beyond 4k rpm that one will feel its just noise and no output. But evaluate the use case of post 4k rpm in your daily life. I was literally driving it like one would drive a tsi, basically redlining. After all of this it gave a 12kmpl for 20 km drive. Try doing that with the cars that one is comparing it with. With same kind of drive Kushaq 1L stands at 7-8kmpl.

I am yet to test a manual XL6 that extensively. May be over this weekend. But for now I have swapped with a friends manual Brezza, which i wanted to experience on a day to day drive for engine, though weight is not comparable to GV/HY.

One should try to evaluate their driving style before skipping this engine. For those who prefer spirited driving should ignore it and be ready for the subpar mileage of competitor engines. If that mileage makes you restrict yourself on those engines then the whole point of buying them goes for a toss.

On the overall package, even if I am convinced on the engine it will be an uphill task to make up the mind on interior quality of these vehicles. With the brief GV sighting at a showroom, even my Figo's interior seem to be holding up better which is devoid of any features and gizmos.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 5th August 2022 at 10:47.
saurabh041086 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:47   #446
BHPian

I had a question regarding the total power output that has been claimed for the strong hybrid as 115.56 PS. Can anybody clarify what does combined power mean?

My knowledge is limited on how the hybrids work, but according to my understanding the car is either pulled by an electric motor or the gasoline engine but not both. When the battery does not have any more charge left, then it switches to running the engine based on the petrol engine. So, at any point in time, there is only one engine that operates while the other one is not in use.

So, how would the combined power come into play if only one of the engine is operating at any point in time. Sorry, if this question seems trivial.

From the specification detailed below, I am not clear what is the individual capacity of the electric motor alone. The specification below only has the details of the petrol engine.

ENGINE
Displacement (cc) 1490
Fuel Type Petrol
Max Power 68 kW @ 5500 rpm [92.45 PS @ 5500 rpm]
Max Torque (Nm@rpm) 136.8 @ 4400 122 Nm @ 4400 - 4800
HYBRID
Total System Max. Power [1 kW = 1.35962 PS] — 85 kW [115.56 PS]
Battery Type — Lithium-ion
Battery Voltage — 177.6 V
Motor Generator Type — AC Synchronous Motor
Max Power (kW@rpm) — 59 @ 3995
Max Torque (Nm@rpm) — 141 @ 0-3995

src - https://www.nexaexperience.com/dist/...ifications.pdf
vijay.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:45   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
I had a question regarding the total power output that has been claimed for the strong hybrid as 115.56 PS. Can anybody clarify what does combined power mean?

My knowledge is limited on how the hybrids work, but according to my understanding the car is either pulled by an electric motor or the gasoline engine but not both. When the battery does not have any more charge left, then it switches to running the engine based on the petrol engine.
In Strong Hybrids the computer controls and mixes the output of the motor and the engine. For instance in kick down acceleration both contribute while in sedate driving requiring no acceleration, the motor takes over to reduce fuel burn. So it’s not either / or but often both running in parallel and hence they quote the combined output.

Also another way the operation is different from what you describe. It’s not that the battery is used up fully and then vehicle moves to pure ICE mode. Instead the vehicle keeps mixing both modes of operation throughout the journey in best possible way to optimise for 1) fuel efficiency and 2) best driving characteristics
Carzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:54   #448
BHPian

Finally got to see the GV in person, since I kept missing the right Nexa showroom by a day. It was a 'for one night only' type of scenario as it was the car's last night for viewing in Mumbai.

As someone who's first car was a Maruti (Swift, Petrol) more than a decade ago, and as someone who thought he would never go back to a Maruti, I must say I was mighty impressed. The look was so premium, so European and 'posh' as a friend of mine said, I was taken aback. This didn't look like a typical Maruti at all. (My apologies to all Maruti owners, but even the S-Cross and XL6 didn't appeal to me much though on paper both seemed ideal for my requirements at one point).

But with the GV - the build quality seemed much much better, the doors heavier, and the fit and finish also miles ahead of what I had seen in the past. Of course it was no VW/Skoda (which I had recently done a TD of) but still, it actually made me think about the GV as an option too.

The font seat has manual adjustment (much like the VW Taigun and Skoda Kushaq) but I could manage to find a good driving position - something that is hard for me since I'm 6.2". The seats were good and comfortable, but my head was almost an inch from grazing the roof - a problem I had in my Duster as well - and that had no height adjustment option! Being able to sit a little lower might help but only time will tell as this is the first time I've had this option in my car. But even without it, being this height I am quite well versed with how to drive knowing the limitations of roof height in almost all cars - especially in hills where I need to bend forward a little to check on the oncoming bends and traffic (literally) up ahead!

Only issue is that the back seat, while decent, had lesser under-thigh support for me, and my head was touching the roof. My father is an inch shorter than me so I am a good stand-in for him for back-seat testing. My worry was on bad roads his head will hit the roof unless I'm very careful.

The sales crew were very enthusiastic and thorough, giving everyone a good chance to get a 'sit and feel' once. The interior 'fit and finish' is something I have not paid too much attention to in the past, since the early Swift and first gen Renault I owned were also very basic and rudimentary but blew me away in terms of ride quality (Duster) and low maintenance (Swift).

But I do want to upgrade to a fully-loaded type of car, with all bells and whistles for once in my life! The GV impressed me enough to make it a contender. A slightly shoddy feel in the drivers seat is not a deal-breaker for me as long as the drive quality is good. I am also a huge fan of EVs but the lack of infrastructure at present makes me pause since a lot of our long journeys are in areas without much charging options as of today. So as a lot of people on this forum have rightly said, this will probably be our last ICE car. A hybrid appeals to that part of my brain too - best of both worlds, so to speak. And surely would be easier to maintain than a VGA car I feel.
Of course a LOT depends on the TD, when it is done, and on the price. If it stays within the 15-20 OTR zone in pricing, it can be one of the dark horses in the race.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th August 2022 at 19:13. Reason: Para space added for easy reading
Evyas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 14:58   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara seem to be on the list for most buyers in this segment. Hope the price reveal does justice to the wait.

Bookings at a pace of 1,000 units per day (average) takes it to 29,000 till date. 48 per cent of Grand Vitara’s total reservations are currently being made for its strong hybrid variants while the mild-hybrid variants garnered 52 per cent of bookings.

Quote:
The prices of the new Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara are expected to be announced in September and it’s likely to be priced from Rs 9.50 lakh to Rs 18 lakh, ex-showroom.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th August 2022 at 14:59.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 16:22   #450
BHPian

Price announcements gone to Sept? Some folks in tbhp were saying 14-aug?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed