Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 14:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti discontinues 6 variants of the S-Presso

Maruti Suzuki has silently discontinued six variants of the S-Presso. The car is no longer available in Std, LXI, LXI CNG, VXI, VXI AMT, and VXI CNG trims.

Maruti discontinues 6 variants of the S-Presso-marutispresso06.jpg

The Maruti S-Presso range now consists of eight variants. These include, Std (O), LXI (O), VXI (O), VXI Plus, VXI (O) AMT, LXI (O) CNG, VXI Plus AMT and VXI (O) CNG. Prices now start at Rs. 3.99 lakh, while the CNG version is priced from Rs. 5.38 lakh (ex-showroom).

The Maruti Suzuki S-Presso is powered by a 1.0-litre petrol engine that makes 67 BHP and 90 Nm. The engine is mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 5-speed AMT.

Earlier, Maruti had also made changes to the Alto 800 variant line-up. The entry-level hatchback is now available in five trims.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti discontinues 6 variants of the S-Presso

A few days ago there were rumors floating around that the budget pocket rocket that is the Alto K10 is coming back - and now Maruti is discontinuing variants of the S-Presso.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th July 2022 at 08:56. Reason: Minor typo.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:47   #3

I was anticipating that the S-Presso is going to come up with K10-C. Also read that,

1. Maruti is not happy with the safety mandates that govt has put forward as it is increasing the cost (or reducing their profit) of small cars
2. Maruti mentioned that they will phase out vehicles that run completely on petrol in seven to ten years and focus on hybrid/electric technologies

All moves are to be read in those lines!

/Govind
Govind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govind View Post
1. Maruti is not happy with the safety mandates that govt has put forward as it is increasing the cost (or reducing their profit) of small cars.
If that's the case, Maruti is likely to discontinue its low-cost models including Alto and Eeco very soon. Providing dual front airbags in all cars was made mandatory from April 2021 onwards and adding another four airbags will increase the cost by a huge amount for sure. Of course, companies are now forced to make engineering changes to body structure of their products for accommodating extra airbags. The government has already begun the process of making six airbags mandatory from October 2022 onwards.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 11th July 2022 at 10:06.
Old 11th July 2022, 10:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Maruti Suzuki has silently discontinued six variants of the S-Presso. The car is no longer available in Std, LXI, LXI CNG, VXI, VXI AMT, and VXI CNG trims.
The Maruti S-Presso range now consists of eight variants. These include, Std (O), LXI (O), VXI (O), VXI Plus, VXI (O) AMT, LXI (O) CNG, VXI Plus AMT and VXI (O) CNG.
Well, as per the S-Presso variant distribution article on V3 Cars, the (O) variants are nothing but just the non-(O) trims with Dual airbags and seatbelt pretensioners.
Hence, I guess with this move they have just made the SA-spec safety standard on the Indian car. (wasn't that done already?)

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 11th July 2022 at 11:10.
theAutomaniac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Well, as per the S-Presso variant distribution article on V3 Cars, the (O) variants are nothing but just the non-(O) trims with Dual airbags and seatbelt pretensioners.
Hence, I guess with this move they have just made the SA-spec safety standard on the Indian car. (wasn't that done already?)
Only if someone confirms MS made airbag and pretension system as standard for all S-Presso variants and we no longer need a specific trim to get these.
Old 11th July 2022, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
That seems like the correct reason. I frankly never understood why Maruti had to keep two different versions like Lxi and Lxi(o) having just one airbag more, the price difference of 20-25 thousand was nothing in terms of EMI and absolutely nothing when compared to the safety it offered for passenger. The Vxi+ variant on the other hand has another problem: the Wagon-R starts from the price point where S-Presso stops, one only needs to sit inside a Wagon-R and get a feel of the space on offer.

Honestly, I will be a little sad if Maruti discontinues the car altogether. She may have some shortcomings but nothing comes close to offering the level of practicality for the price paid.
Old 13th July 2022, 11:49   #8
BHPian

This is a very simple move and easy to understand why - the indian made Spresso recently crash tested in South Africa as a 3 star car. All because the version they tested is what sells here as an (O) model - the option versions, all having dual airbags.
So, in light of the safety rating becoming more critical in India, they have simply removed all versions that came with a single airbag and only sell the option pack of each version that will be a 3 star rating!

Considering otherwise the Spresso is built on Suzuki's safest (?) new heartec platform with more strength in critical areas of the chassis, the extra airbag would be the right bait to all the airbags going on about safety! ��
Old 13th July 2022, 20:46   #9
BHPian

The (O) " option " variant is nothing but addition of passenger side airbag. It is surprising that as per Govt circular 2 airbags are must from 1st April 2021 for new models and from 31st Aug 2021 for existing models( that time). Anyway since the extra airbag costs only 5000/- , everbody opts for that model only. ( VXI+ variant has 2 airbags as standard). Even the price difference between VXI(O) and VXI+ is only 10k ( while former has normal audio and latter has Smart Studio with AA and CP with some extras). Only iritation I have is small tank (only 27 litres) while even Alto has 35 lts tank .
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govind View Post
I was anticipating that the S-Presso is going to come up with K10-C.
If the Alto K10 is coming back with the newer K10C I hope Suzuki gives us an Alto K10 Sports or K10 RS with the Turbo Charged BoosterJet version that makes 110hp.

Not that Maruti Suzuki is gonna do it but a man can dream.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 14th July 2022 at 13:44.
Old 14th July 2022, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised they officially kept single and dual airbag variants till now despite the mandate kicking in over a year sgo. Hopefully they will come up with a dualjet version soon. And MSIL , can we please have rear power windows? That may perhaps make it my next small city car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks