Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you book your vehicle before its price reveal?
Yes 66 24.72%
No 201 75.28%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 06:04   #31

Re: Would you book your vehicle before its price reveal?

It depends on the vehicle. If it is going to be a vehicle with basic featuring (nothing disrupting), usually wait for the product to get stabilized. If the vehicle is disrupting with new tech, then there is a possibility to book before price reveal. Its the anticipation to experience the best in age.
Old 13th July 2022, 07:42   #32
BHPian

Interesting poll. 75% have voted NO. However, when we read comments below, only 12 out of 30 have voted NO which is 40%. So the buyers (25%) who wont mind price changes are lot more influential that they dominate 60% of discussion.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 08:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I've gone car shopping. I've always wanted the car immediately. 1 or 2 weeks is the most I've waited. More so nowadays when it is a daily driver.

No, I am not booking a car like a Tatkal ticket. Thank you!
Old 13th July 2022, 09:13   #34
BHPian

With the way things are going in the market right now, launch prices are just for overall price effect, and can only be used as a ballpark figure. Consider that the XUV700 was a sub 20 lakh car at launch, which went to sub-22 lakh with the reveal of the top variants in a couple of weeks, and then moved to a sub-25 lakh car now.

I had booked the AX5 AT variant at the launch price of 15.59 lakhs in Oct 2021, and by the time of the expected delivery in May 2022 (6 months), the price had been hiked by 1.70 lakhs. Mahindra did honour their promise of price protection, but I was told that the road tax would have to be paid for the full vehicle amount and that the 1.7 lakhs would be deducted from the final amount. Since I had always intended on taking BH registration and Kerala was (and is still) continuing to fight it in Supreme court, I had to cancel the booking. Mahindra gladly refunded the entire booking amount as they could now sell it at the full price to someone else without any discount. However, because I had been following up with the dealership since the teasers were out, I was able to get in that first 25K bookings and I would have been able to save a significant amount of money, had I taken the delivery.

IMO because of the long waiting periods involved it is always better to book your vehicle if it meets your needs, and you really need the vehicle, as long as the option to cancel and get a full refund at anytime is available.
Old 13th July 2022, 09:32   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes.

I don't want to wait for 12 months or 20 months and pay more for a vehicle that I can buy now, besides it's not like there is going to be a better option after 12 months, chances are there won't be.

This is the state of our car market.
Old 13th July 2022, 12:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Interesting poll. 75% have voted NO. However, when we read comments below, only 12 out of 30 have voted NO which is 40%. So the buyers (25%) who wont mind price changes are lot more influential that they dominate 60% of discussion.
Also likely that the people who voted "yes", have likely been through the process of booking a vehicle (or probably know someone in the immediate family / friend circle who has) recently.

I would've voted "no" a couple of years ago. But the entire dynamic seems to have changed now. It's not a buyers market anymore. Price inflation has gone through the roof (as has demand)!

I started looking for a replacement for my 2014 Brio last year. Almost finalized the Safari but then decided to wait for the XUV 7OO unveil. Added the XUV to my cart but didn't feel any urgency to complete the transaction on 7th Oct in the morning. Within a couple of hours I realized that I can no longer buy it at current prices. Luckily, since I had it my cart I was still allowed a booking at the introductory prices on 8th July. This time I wasn't taking any chances. On 8th morning, I was at the Mahindra dealership at 830 AM and got the booking done then and there as soon as the Dealer portal allowed it.

Would I have gone ahead with the booking without a test drive or reading detailed reviews - NO.

Would I have gone ahead with the booking if there were lots of initial niggles, like Harrier 2019 - NO.

But I am reasonably sure that major niggles have been ironed out since launch and I am happy to wait the 12 odd months for a lower niggle product at competitive prices. So, it's a win-win if you're genuinely in the market for a vehicle and dont mind a bit of a wait.

Last edited by charade : 13th July 2022 at 12:11. Reason: Typos
charade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:38   #37
BHPian

Always a big "NO".

I don't buy and like this new trend of product launches, mostly below the 50L segment.
A product is launched, only if it includes the pricing as well. Else, it is not a product launch at all. Period. I am ok to pay a few thousand's more once I understand the product after its launch. And that may take a while.

Again I also don't understand the mad rush for booking. If the car is good, then the exclusivity is gone after a couple of months. And if I want an exclusive car, then I don't have to rush. That's the formula. Rush is indirectly proportional to exclusivity.

The only reason I see to book a car before its price is revealed is to get behind the wheels ASAP. I would ONLY agree to it if it's a limited edition model from a reputed brand and enthusiast's car. There is no reason otherwise.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 23:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Luckily, since I had it my cart I was still allowed a booking at the introductory prices on 8th July.
Congratulations, please do post pictures and ownership experience.

I have voted a NO. It is big money and there is absolutely no need to make decisions in hurry. We have choices aplenty "ek se badkar ek hai". Vehicle is a long term commitment, it is a companion that you will be spending time with everyday. Why hurry ?
Old 14th July 2022, 10:51   #39
BHPian

I would wait till I see the car in real. Do test drives, make comparison with other cars that meet my expectations, only then I would go-ahead with booking. I am OK to wait couple months. In this waiting time I would prepare myself mentally on the future ownership experience. OEMs lure potential customers with pre-launch prices. I do not want to fall for that trap.
Old 24th July 2022, 23:02   #40
BHPian

No way.

The companies are in business to make money so their methods and morals are still comprehensible but it beats me why would an otherwise reasonable grown human being agree to buy a "promise" without knowing how much he's expected to pay for it? and no concrete "drive away by " date written commitment from the seller either?? And to let one's capital be used by the dealer as they please, interest free?

To my mind, this practice increasingly being resorted to by the OEM's betrays one clear policy decision: to surreptitiously stoke and profiteer from the increasingly fashionable Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). They operate on not some moralistic" reasonable price for the value my product provides to the buyer" but much more mercenary " how much this guy can be squeezed for this product" by various methods (brand projection, artificial scarcity, the joke of introductory prices etc).

It appears they gauge the booking response and if estimated favorable go for more obscene end of pricing, and this is the reason I don't believe booking and later on withdrawing if prices found to be too high is a bright idea for the average salaried guy who's going to take a loan for this. You have already contributed to the OEM's temerity of asking an obnoxious amount of your hard earned taxed to death money. Why to reveal your cards on a negotiation table to the opponent, esp if the monetary interests are conflicting?

Of course, if the amount of money involved is a non issue then this whole point becomes moot.

Last edited by Vtach : 24th July 2022 at 23:26.
Old 25th July 2022, 05:49   #41
BANNED

No, I wouldn't book one either without knowing the prices as I feel buying a car is an economic decision and the price factors in a lot when considering your needs and requirements for a car, this is exactly what happened when I was considering the Maruti Brezza, I was in the market for an automatic under 15 lakhs on-road, and has shortlisted the new Brezza ZXI+AT as an alternative, hoping the prices would fall in line but boy was I wrong, so would never book a vehicle without knowing the prices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks