Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India

This generation change for Octavia has caused an increase of almost 8 lakhs. Clearly, Skoda are not looking at volumes. But this time they have lost all sanity.

This is simply milking the fanboys, who have grown up dreaming of an Octavia. I mean people like me planned for an Octavia, but seems like no chance anymore. One may be able to secure a lucrative deal (on previous year stock) in cities like Mumbai,Bangalore,Delhi. But such possibilities are almost nil in tier-2 / tier-3 cities.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 11:52. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Indepth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
This generation change for Octavia has caused an increase of almost 8 lakhs. Clearly, Skoda are not looking at volumes. But this time they have lost all sanity.
This is simply milking the fanboys, who have grown up dreaming of an Octavia. I mean people like me planned for an Octavia, but seems like no chance anymore. One may be able to secure a lucrative deal (on previous year stock) in cities like Mumbai,Bangalore,Delhi. But such possibilities are almost nil in tier-2 / tier-3 cities.
In isolation it is expensive. But when you compare with other cars like Compass top end 40 lakhs, Creta / Seltos / Kushaq / Taigun / Slavia / Virtus top end around 23 to 24 lakhs, C5 at 43 lakhs, XUV 700 top end 32 lakhs etc, Octavia at 38 lakhs top end doesn’t really feel that expensive (atleast for me). Also Octavia is the cheapest entry to that wonderful 2 TSI engine and other cars which uses this engine is much more expensive.

The last gen Octavia Petrol L&K used to cost around 30 lakhs OTR. The new one has a bigger engine, better gearbox, better interiors (I know no sunroof), bigger wheels etc. Personally when I consider all these, Octavia is still VFM. Now VFM is subjective and can change from person to person.

From sales perspective, I really don’t think new Octavia is doing bad. Previous gen, including Diesel, was doing around 250 per month and this gen only with petrol around 150 per month.

As much as I love my MK3 Octavia and the quality of cabin, I feel new Octavia interiors is in a league of its own. It feels like from a luxury segment.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 11:53. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sunikkat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
In isolation it is expensive. But when you compare with other cars like Compass top end 40 lakhs, Creta / Seltos / Kushaq / Taigun / Slavia / Virtus top end around 23 to 24 lakhs, C5 at 43 lakhs, XUV 700 top end 32 lakhs etc, Octavia at 38 lakhs top end doesn’t really feel that expensive (atleast for me).
I don't understand much from on-road pricing quotes, since they vary drastically countrywide.

Having said that, last gen OCTY TDI L&K was priced 23.6 lakh ex-showroom before being discontinued. This new generation costs 29.8 lakhs. A 6 lakh plus increase is too much, even if one considers the superiority of 2.0 TSI.

I don't understand why we tend to excuse the europeans in pricing. Infact, I don't see any reason as to why a Octavia should be priced higher than a XUV. Skoda is not even a premium brand for that matter, yet has managed to act as one, so far in our country.

I am and always will be a Octy fan, but I think the decision to buy an Octy here in India, has to be solely from heart (Atleast for me, If I ever decide to buy one).

As it has been wisely said, "If you don't look back at your car after you park it, you've bought the wrong car!"

OCTY is the "right" car in above mentioned lines.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 11:53. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Indepth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
I don't understand much from on-road pricing quotes, since they vary drastically countrywide.
Having said that, last gen OCTY TDI L&K was priced 23.6 lakh ex-showroom before being discontinued. This new generation costs 29.8 lakhs. A 6 lakh plus increase is too much, even if one considers the superiority of 2.0 TSI.
New generation, better suspension, more features, better quality interiors, bigger wheels and most importantly INFLATION. Almost all cars in India have really gone up in pricing. Compare Compass Pre vs Post facelift, Creta last gen vs. new gen.
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
New generation, better suspension, more features, better quality interiors, bigger wheels and most importantly INFLATION. Almost all cars in India have really gone up in pricing. Compare Compass Pre vs Post facelift, Creta last gen vs. new gen.
I agree to most of these point, but every carmaker adds features/make improvements/increase size etc with new generation launch. A marginal price increase is the norm, mostly.

However, I think a price increase of about 20%, with change of generation is unheard of in non-luxury brands. Clearly, Skoda has decided to go premium with OCTY. The fact that no lower spec 1.5 TSI is being offered furthur authenticates the premium positioning.

Old 23rd June 2022, 13:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
So happy to be a part of the club! And the thing that adds to the happiness is I managed to pick up this blue beauty at 23L on road in 2020!
I also got a similar deal on my Red 1.8 TSI Onyx model in Pune. After clocking close to 28k KMs in last 2.5 years I am extremely happy with my decision and hope to keep this beauty for a long time. Attaching a few pics of my Hellboy below:

First sight on deliver day at Akoya Skoda, Baner, Pune:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-db38ae3eeb1d4e4bbb3d41b30d2655c3.jpeg

Got it all protected from dear friends at Aquatint in Pune:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-213e279d52b84cb19787f2657239d675.jpeg

At one the Team-BHP meets at Mapro Garden, Lonavla:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-fc95abedee6d4457b4c2c362425f1b5c.jpeg

Some random pics from my drives/road trips:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-2a29a7d685f144bd8750822104540a26.jpeg

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-1e42b5386ede4e5385052be3803e89c8.jpeg

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-a6815751a93643a08f49ec367b6555b6.jpeg

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-ab1e4aaacc2d4f62891f5aee62197934.jpeg

Getting it all cleaned after such trips:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-e66a8ecd58fa476db51520df9ead6b48.jpeg

Two very big USPs of this vehicle as per me:
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-20cdab3f640143e9bb5137d99c0f322a.jpeg

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-4448f9a329e64c7b998a031e60cfb734.jpeg
//M6 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
A little off topic but I have a slightly different view on this. I do not think additional features, bigger wheels or even inflation have a major role to play to justify the increase in price by 25-30%. Also, with advancing technology, the manufacturer can get better features at the same price so it is not actually driving up their cost by a huge margin. Mobiles come up each year with improved performance, more RAM, more features, more cameras, etc but they don't increase the price by 30%.

What I feel is happening is that things were actually cheaper earlier and no manufacturer wanted to take the first step to raise prices as that would lead to an effect on sales. To give an example, i had paid 23L for the Octavia 1.8 TSI but the actual amount which went to Skoda (not even counting dealer commissions and other expenses) was 12.5L which i think is not high at all.

Currently, all manufacturers seem to have agreed to come on the same page as the earlier model was not necessarily sustainable. Giving an example again of telecom, Jio used to give free calls and data and now the trio (Jio/Airtel/Vodafone) seem to be best buddies and constantly hiking the prices. I used to pay around 2.4k for annual pack but now it has become 3k which is like a 25% hike in 1 year (no change in any service provided). Having competitors makes a consumer feel they have options but nowadays I feel they function more like a monopoly in terms of pricing.

Long story short, as long as the manufacturers are hand in glove with each other, the consumers don't have much of a choice and will continue to have to pay more and more - whether its justified or not is a different question

Last edited by praveen789 : 23rd June 2022 at 13:40.
praveen789 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
Some random pics from my drives/road trips:
Those BBS wheels totally changed the look of the car . Guess the tyres are 225/45/17 CSC5

Quote:

Long story short, as long as the manufacturers are hand in glove with each other, the consumers don't have much of a choice and will continue to have to pay more and more.
Agree, these days almost every other month we keep hearing of price increase by one manufacturer or other
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
I also got a similar deal on my Red 1.8 TSI Onyx model in Pune.
Lot of similarities between us! Even I was considering the option of the Red Onyx but my earlier car was red as well so I went for blue.

You seem to have changed the alloys in the early stage of ownership (they are looking awesome and I am getting tempted as well!). Any particular reason for switching? I think the stock black ones look sweet as well
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:43   #25

Happy to contribute to the count with my Black n White twins. One Manual & other DSG. Best of both worlds.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-img_1359.jpg  

Ramukaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Those BBS wheels totally changed the look of the car . Guess the tyres are 225/45/17 CSC5
Yes, you are right thats exactly what I have right now.

Quote:
You seem to have changed the alloys in the early stage of ownership (they are looking awesome and I am getting tempted as well!). Any particular reason for switching? I think the stock black ones look sweet as well
I changed them 1 year back around this time only with OEM active TPMS from The Mechanix Automotive, Pune. My main reason to do this upgrade was looks and better stance. Though the stance is still not 100% perfect in my books, it will soon be improved with euro/vRS spec springs.
//M6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Octavia, one of the highest selling cars in India via the Parts and Components (CKD) route, has achieved a milestone of 101,111 deliveries.
Well, after the first one in 2001, they did choose to call the next two iterations as "Laura" here in India & not "Octavia" or even "Octavia-laura". So, splitting hairs, no they wouldn't have sold those many "Octavias",yet.
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:27   #28
BHPian

I am too an owner of the famous 1.8TSI Mk3 model of this D segment sedan which I always say poor man's Audi. I had picked her as a pre-owned - the previous owner had just run the car 24000kms in 16m of ownership and had maintained her very well. But never did I realize that the next two years I would able to enjoy her only for just 10k Kms thanks to COVID as well as family situation. But those 10k kms have been all sweet. Sharing a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-octavia-front.jpg  

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-octavia-inside.jpg  

livelyyoungman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 09:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Recently got her home - Octavia MK4 Style. A perfect family sedan !!

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-img_20220612_142743.jpg
neoonwheels is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 10:07   #30
BHPian

So Glad to be a part of those 1,01,111+ delighted owners.

I Couldn't resist sharing mine here on this thread as this car has been something which I had always wanted to own from a very long time. Needless to say but I love each and every bit of it and often find reasons to take her out on a spin.

Presenting mine, the 2021 Octavia L&K in Graphite grey!!

Skoda achieves milestone of 1 lakh Octavia deliveries in India-octy.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th June 2022 at 11:54. Reason: spacing for improved readability
rahul1407 is offline   (33) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks