Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 147 20.85%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 242 34.33%
Voters: 705. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 23:45   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?

Had voted for this:
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would not buy their India 2.0 cars

Looks like I’ll have to change my vote to this:
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars

My cousin brother picked up a Kushaq 1L TSI AT, this morning.

Just opening the heavy door and the solid thud on closing it, reminded me of our now sold EcoSport. Having owned an EcoSport previously, this is one car that I felt should be a natural upgrade for anyone upgrading from an Ecosport, if preference is a petrol. If Skoda would’ve continued offering their 1.5L TDI this car would’ve been a blockbuster!

Even with 5 people on board in the car, it didn’t feel underpowered at all, I'm just wondering what the 1.5L TSI + DSG feels like!

Cost cutting is evident in the NVH department; suspension noise filters comes in to the cabin, the engine while accelerating can clearly be heard inside the car and road noise is very prominent.

My cousin had seen almost all cars in this segment except the Seltos, and he was fixated on the Kushaq just after a test-drive of the 1.5L TSI + DSG version. The DQ200 gearbox horror stories made him apprehensive and he decided to go with the safer 1L TSI AT (TC).

I have become a fan of the Kushaq for sure. Yes, for people already owning PQ chassis VAGs and Octavias/Jettas. The newer crop of VAG cars will feel like a downgrade, but for someone upgrading from a Maruti-Suzuki or Hyundai the Kushaq/Slavia & Taigun/Virtus are serious contenders!

Ask me personally, I’ll sell my 17’ Creta and go for a Kushaq/Taigun in the blink of my eye (well if I had the money). Won’t make the mistake of owning a Hyundai ever again, unless it’s the Tucson (eg: crosswinds on the sea-link make the Creta shake, in comparison our EcoSport was rock-solid and the Hyundai service centre experience is just below-par)

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th May 2022 at 23:48.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 08:29   #92
BHPian

I have never owned a VAG car before and bought the Taigun in February. Initially faced the door rattling issue, but once that was rectified and I figured out how to get maximum economy I've found it tonne a good buy. Upgrading from the i10 nios I find the Taigun to be great (albeit the poor quality of the rear view camera, missing electrical folding ORVM, missing mute button for the ICE, still haven't figured out how to disconnect calls from the steering wheel controls).
But I really miss the pre-worshipped 2007 Honda CRV AWD MT I drove before the nios. The Taigun is nowhere close to that in terms of comfort, driving dynamics despite the CRV having clocked over 2,15,000km when i sold it to her 4th owner.
Still I'll keep the Taigun for a good duration, just hope they equip the electrically folding ORVM soon. I've completed 11411km since Feb 2022 and am positive that the car will bring smiles all though i do agree with the majority that the 2.0 cars are not as good as the Polo/Vento.
Osteon206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 10:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

If I'm Zac, I'll be very worried about this -

Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?-screenshot_20220529_101741_edit_837028589451964.jpg

50% of my existing customers will not return, though they'll be replaced by net new customers - essentially, my brand will remain stagnant. While it's true that this is hardly 600 BHPians, a BHPian usually is a car purchase influencer among their friends and family circle, and means something.

It would be interesting to see how a similar poll turns out for each manufacturer in our country. Maybe we should have a permanent poll section with a poll for each brand that'll reflect how a brand is performing - and we should be allowed to revote in such a poll!
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 12:34   #94
BHPian

I voted: I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars.

This is their best attempt to please Indian buyers + have a certain percentage of market share + improve their shortcomings (not w.r.t product for the time being in this version 2.0).
Everything is good with their cars. People complaining about cost-cutting should look at other competitor's shortcomings also. Every manufacturer in India (barring Indian-origins like Mahindra, Tata etc.) sell inferior (watered down) versions here.

We should rather be thankful to VW-Skoda group for this decision. If we do not give them chance this time, then they wouldn't be able to assess their performance w.r.t products, sales, after sales service etc. How will they improve? I always said before & will say it again that India is a very tough market to do automobile business. With many manufacturers almost on the verge of exiting & a few already exited, it's a welcome move by VW-Skoda.

There's always a brighter chance for every manufacturer to launch global products in India iff (if and only if) their current offerings sell well.
For eg: Hyundai launching 'N' division models. That was possible only because their current offerings sold well.

I wish VW-Skoda group also prioritize in improving their after sales support services along with low-cost services just like how Ford did. This is the best time for them to bring a change. The reason why I have huge respect for what Ford did in terms of after sales experience with reasonable service costs - not many are able to implement this!

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 29th May 2022 at 12:35.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 14:52   #95
BHPian

I fall in the third category - I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars

Before I explain, let’s get the most important disclaimer out of the way – the above statement is based on the premise that VAG 2.0 car would still match best-in-class safety performance. If any of their ‘MQB-A0-IN’ cars perform poorly in NCAP tests in the near future, they can count me out as a potential customer.

Now I get the backlash from existing VAG owners about the tanking build quality of the ‘-IN’ cars. But obviously the economics were not working out for them, hence strategy 2.0.

Would it be the first time a manufacturer has done it though? Come to think of it, every manufacturer has adopted some strategy to stay profitable in highly price sensitive market of ours. And not everyone can afford to simply increase the prices of their cars like Toyota .

The City’s build quality for example, took a visible nosedive with 4th generation as well. All of the Amaze platform based cars lacked the solidity of earlier gen Hondas too. But all through this, Honda’s cars have remained mechanically solid with hardly any complaints regarding drivetrain, suspension etc. I hope VW/Skoda have taken this route with their 2.0 cars.

Honestly, I would take a safe car with solid mechanicals but a few creeks and squeaks, any day over a car that has solid plastics/cool features but a compromised body shell (no points for guessing which manufacturer took this route).

Before anyone snaps, the DQ200 was on offer with older gen VAG cars as well, so let’s not get that into the mix. I’m also hoping other tech issues (ESG, AC etc) reported for VAG 2.0 cars are initial production hiccups and not permanent features of the series. I am open to be proven wrong on this
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 16:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Not to go off topic, but this poll is surprising. Those who’ve never owned a VAG car before are seriously missing out - it’s still astounding how many wouldn’t look past the mundane crop of Marutis and Hyundais…
Old 29th May 2022, 18:22   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

I have owned a VW/Skoda vehicle before and would buy the 2.0Gen.

Yes, they're not the best in terms of build and niggles, but then again I wouldn't be buying first year VW/Skoda 1.0 vehicles either until they figure out the issues.

At the same time, the performance + ride and handling + perceived safety make it worth the rattles (not like the others don't: recently sat in a non enthusiast friends C Class & another's Seltos and they were squeaking and rattling away) and the niggles (barring the EPC light which is hopefully resolved).

Similarly as a VAG repeat buyer, I have learnt to do my homework on variants to avoid - such as the DQ200 1.5TSi Auto.

Truth be told, the only way they can put me off is by scoring below 4 stars on the GNCAP ratings.
Old 29th May 2022, 22:04   #98
BHPian

As an owner of a Skoda Laura, I will certainly think twice before buying a 2.0 VAG product. While the Slavia/Virtus and the Kushaq/Taigun are great looking machines, with great driving dynamics, they just lack the 'soul' of a proper VAG car.
'Build quality' has become a fashion statement nowadays, but I'm sure experienced BHPians will know that the old VAG cars gave the true meaning to those words - something that is missing now.

Unfortunately, it is not only VAG cars, almost all manufacturers make their cars more flimsy with every generation. it is a sad trend, that I hope changes one day... Until then, a pre-owned mk3 Octy/Superb with a remap should keep us enthusiasts happy!
Joshua_Ray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 23:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
If I'm Zac, I'll be very worried about this -

[left]50% of my existing customers will not return, though they'll be replaced by net new customers - essentially, my brand will remain stagnant. While it's true that this is hardly 600 BHPians, a BHPian usually is a car purchase influencer among their friends and family circle, and means something.
Well response to Option 2 is slightly misleading too. A major chunk of that (based on comments) are the ones who will not buy Kushaq / Slavia / Virtus / Taigun as they feel they are inferior to their current or previous VAG rides. So they would still happily buy other cars from VAG like Octavia, Superb, Tiguan, Kodiaq etc.

Last edited by sunikkat : 29th May 2022 at 23:09.
Old 30th May 2022, 00:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
So they would still happily buy other cars from VAG like Octavia, Superb, Tiguan, Kodiaq etc.
Yes, that's probably true - but how much do they sell, combined? Those volumes alone cannot sustain VAG, leave alone the dealers.

VAG's India market share is 2.97% for the 12 months ending April '22 - the only ones who are performing worse are Nissan, MG, Jeep, Citroen - essentially one-horse-race manufacturers.

7,475 out of 8,699 cars VAG moved from their factories in April '22 comes from 2.0. And if 34.5% of car buying population who's never owned a VAG won't consider these 2.0 line-up, and 22% of existing customers won't buy 2.0 (but may choose from the remaining 1,224 cars that are not 2.0) how's it going to help the group?

That's the reason why I said, as a CEO, Zac should be worried even if this is a very small sample distribution
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 17:51   #101
BHPian

I own a Polo GT 1L TSI and the new 2.0 cars are definitely few notches down when it comes to interior quality. Even the build quality of Taigun and Virtus isn’t on the same level as the Polo or Vento. For example, I felt the rear doors of Virtus were much lighter than the front two doors and did not shut with the thud I am used to on the Polo. I was really considering an upgrade since I need a bigger car and a comfortable driving position for my 6’3 tall frame but what my SA at VW dealership told me really made me reconsider my idea of selling Polo for Taigun / Virtus. He told me very honestly that people who sold Polo / Vento to buy these new cars were regretting their decision. He recommended that I buy a 1.5 L Taigun as my second car if I badly need it for longer trips but not to really sell my Polo for these cars.

MOD NOTE : Poorly typed post without proper punctuation spacing and capitalization. Please go through Posting Etiquettes for better post composition and readability for the end user.
Thank You!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2022 at 18:11. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 31st May 2022, 08:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Not to go off topic, but this poll is surprising. Those who’ve never owned a VAG car before are seriously missing out - it’s still astounding how many wouldn’t look past the mundane crop of Marutis and Hyundais…
To be honest it sums up "car enthusiasts" in India. Will talk up a big game about their love for driving and bemoan the lack of driver focused cars in India but won't put their money where their mouth is.
sid3091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:44   #103
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO. My prognosis:
  • 2021 : India 2.0 branded SUV (hatchback-crossover) launch
  • 2022 : India 2.0 branded sedan launch
  • 2023 : Skoda/VW struggling with sales and aftersales
  • 2024 : First India 2.0 branded DSG gearbox (dry-clutch-DQ200) failure, a new TeamBHP thread on fire!
  • 2024 continued: Mahindra-Volkswagen-MEB divorce
  • 2025 : Ford India déjà vu
Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?-1.png
Old 31st May 2022, 11:15   #104
BHPian

I am a newbie here so unable to vote. But my two cents here.

I am a proud owner of 1.2 TSI Vento DSG since 2018. Except for one replacement of ABS Sensor (done under warranty), the car has not given me any issues whatsoever. Though I must admit that my running is super low (18000 Kms) over last 4 years. So I haven't faced any mechanical issues with the car whatsoever. Though to be on a safer side, I did get the extended 5th year warranty for peace of mind now that I am keeping the car.

Coming to VW 2.0, I have checked all four cars, and to be honest, none of them essentially felt like a true upgrade over my Vento. Despite that, I had booked a Kushaq 1.5 DSG Top-end, but the whole ORVM fiasco led to a family feud and cancellation of that booking and leading to booking a Creta and subsequently Alcazar, but that is a story for another thread.

Essentially, for someone like me, where car buying is a more collective decision, I could no longer justify Skoda/VW pricing their cars over Market leaders and then skimping on features.

As for build quality, yes it is not the same as my Vento - but for a first time buyer of these brands, it is acceptable. It is only when you compare the build quality to existing cars like Vento/Rapid/Polo do you see the declining quality. I think VW is making a conscious decision to bring more people to the showroom, and it might be working. If I was a first time VW buyer, I would not find a reason to complain against the build quality.

For me, I will now head back to Germans when I can afford a real one - Octavia/Superb/Tiguan/Kodiaq or the Big 3. I really wouldn't splurge on a VW 2.0 product at the moment essentially as they do not have anything in that 20-25 Lakh bracket that makes me go Wow.
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:09   #105
BHPian

I am a newbie here so not able to vote but had I been able to my vote would definitely be a YES!

I am in the process of buying a new car and have checked out everything from Taigun and Kushaq to Octavia and I must say that considering the current batch of cars available in the market Slavia and Virtus are definitely built better or at least equal to all of them. Especially the paint quality and the shut lines were a notch higher than even the XUV700 and is up to levels of Octavia. Also the interiors are built well and never during the test drive I felt any rattles in the car and I took them to pretty bad roads to test the rattles people are reporting.

After the test drive I was impressed with 1.5L DSG VW Virtus and the silent cabin it provided even over the bad roads. I think the poorer build quality statement may have been out of proportions and never did I feel that are built any less than the Safari or XUV700 let alone Seltos and Creta. And I may end up buying this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks