Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 147 20.85%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 242 34.33%
Voters: 705. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2022, 23:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?

After reading through some of the posts here, I feel the negative effect towards the new Vw Skoda twins seem a bit overblown out of proportions to me.
Begs me to think how much some negative media coverage and opinions from a few, sway the perspective even more than what it deserves.

Yes, of course the EPC issue was a major one, which was promptly addressed. But the rest aren't major, and they are typically associated with any new launch cars. Most of which are being ironed out too.
I feel the build quality is better than most in the segment. Fit and finish is more or less the same as others in the segment (minus the Astor). Sorted ride and handling. Superior engines! Has most creature comforts. Pretty much ticks most of the boxes.

Compared to the twins, some competitor cars come with poor/degrading interiors, some come(used to come) with life threatening brake mechanisms, and poor safety records etc.,

I am not trying to give Vw/Skoda a pass here. They definitely should've done better. But in no way has these issues affected the overall experience.
ridehard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 23:53   #77
BHPian

I would buy them if they offered diesel.
Old 28th May 2022, 00:06   #78
BHPian

I have owned a couple of Skoda cars. The Octavia 2.0 Diesel L&K and my daily driver MK3 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI(remapped). Extremely happy with the cars, the power it make and the tuning scope. Regarding the after sales service i have been lucky in that department also.
So i would definitely buy their 2.0 cars.
viky_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 00:28   #79
BHPian

Their 1.0 or 0.1 cars were so mighty unreliable, one can only imagine how badly this 2.0 or 0.2 story would unfold considering the cars are actually a step down in terms of quality. I have seen some of my family members suffer with the likes of Gen 1 Octavia vRS, Laura (bought by the same cousin who owned the vRS, a curiously unfortunate case of 'once bitten, still am smitten'), and Vento. I am the kind of person who doesn't mind learning from other people's mistakes and hence, its going to be a mighty 'No! Spare me the horrors!' from my side on this 2.0 story.

If its a German one seeks, one should rather acquire a proper German luxury marque. While they too won't guarantee the engineering excellence and quality of workmanship of the Japanese like that of a Lexus, they do offer latest tech and carry the novelty factor in absolute abundance. There is no novelty in owning budget brands like Skoda or VW and its better to go for a less used and well maintained used German luxury marque instead.
Herschey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 00:37   #80
BHPian

Would have voted YES as I have bought a Skoda Slavia Ambition AT for my wife in March and I do have their old quality DNA cars like T-Roc & Polo already in my garage. Yes, their 2.0 project is a little step back in the quality department as compared to the earlier generation budget cars but they are still the best as compared to the rivals in performance, paint, braking, handling, and mechanical prowess. Koreans may score better in the oomph factor but their latest fiasco in the safety department doesn't encourage an informed buyer.

I thoroughly appreciate them for giving us 4 new cars in such a short span of time with an upgrade in space, convenience & safety features etc despite struggling with external factors like Covid and chip shortage unlike slothful brands like Honda & Toyota.
Sunderdeep is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 01:20   #81
BHPian

I own 2 skodas and 1 VW

2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI with DSG and 2016 Superb 2.0 TSI with DSG. Both models are L & K. The VW is a 2018 Vento 1.2 TSI.

I was a HUGE HUGE fan of skoda and recommended it to everyone I knew. Awesome interiors, amazing build quality, doors close with a reassuring thud. Fantastic bang for buck which gave the “Germans” a run for their money. Especially the Octavia diesel is a rocket and makes me smile every time I drive it.

But 2.0 is all wrong. The loss of diesel is really really disappointing. The build quality has being going down and the car feels more like it’s Japanese / Korean competitors rather than a car that would give the Germans a run for their money.

The cars aren’t cheap now and I don’t see them VFM. My 2018 Vento already has irritating rattles and other issues that I am considering selling it.

VW and Skoda better buckle up. Else they may lose their core customers.
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 01:48   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I would buy their 2.1 cars after they've sorted out all the niggles from the current set :P
I think I am in the same boat!! Very nicely put!!

I feel VAG is committed and these cars will sell or maybe should sell, to give them a bit more confidence and momentum and eventually that should help them in improving the quality in some area where it is felt lacking in these newer products. I don't expect them to make cars the way they did, but hopefully it should be at a point, where it does not feel obvious.

I think if they have to compete (especially with Koreans, in my view), they will have to try some new things. They lost ground big time.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 02:02   #83
BHPian

I own a Rapid 1.6 TDI and I'm happy with the car's performance and build quality. I have been lucky with after-sales at Skoda so far. Won't hesitate to buy a new Skoda if it offers the same experience as the 1.6 TDI.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 07:10   #84
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I own a Polo since 2010. Upgraded to a Rapid in 2020. On my recommendation, my brother got home a Kushaq earlier this month.
We are happy and satisfied with all 3 of our VAG cars. But yes, I love driving Rapid the most.

While considering the Kushaq, we test-drove Seltos & Sonet too, but couldn't connect with Kia cars. Once we sat in a Taigun/Kushaq, our decision was to immediately book VAG only.

If someone has owned Octavia/Superb/Jetta/Passat, then
ofcourse you'll feel the difference in quality. But for first time VAG car buyers and Polo/Vento/Fabia/Rapid owners, 2.0 cars are still a good option when compared with the competition.
sanyog26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 11:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I would buy their 2.1 cars after they've sorted out all the niggles from the current set :P
The above post sums up the decision/dilemma in hand.
I have never owned a VAG, driven a friends Vento previously and checked out the Skoda Kushaq and Slavia in detail at IGI Airport. IMO interior felt at par with the competition and there is no competition whatsoever in the segment wrt 1.5l engine.

We all are aware about the initial niggles associated with a brand new model, but niggles on 2.0 cars have been way too much. There has been some updates on interior quality, but I sincerely hope the rattles and squeaks get sorted at the earliest.

As famously Zac (Skoda) said - “Choose what matters” , many features which VAG 2.0 doesn’t provide, matter to a lot of people. It is perfectly understandable that they want to stay away from the stable of VAG 2.0.

Having deliberated on upgrading to a new car in the 20L budget - Finding a perfect car seems an impossible task.
Leave aside the decision of which brand to buy, I am at times confused on Petrol/ Hybrid/ Diesel/ Electric. The reason being, future of ICE is left to the fancy of legislators.
The more i read the relevant articles, more i get confused.

Being a salaried individual with transferable job and affordability to keep a lone car at my garage. Decided to wait and watch for 6 months. Hope to find the right ride when the time comes - VAG 2.0 or otherwise.
Cheers

Last edited by Javelin : 28th May 2022 at 11:22. Reason: Typo
Javelin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 11:35   #86

After owning numerous VAG's in Family (Fabia, Laura & Octy -2017). My brother has Vento & Polo & cousin drives Rapid. I can say, will surly look at/buy cars from VAG stable
Ramukaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 12:08   #87
BHPian

I have not voted and actually we require one more option in the poll. "I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and do they really want to sell me one?"

I was waiting for the Tiguan but VW refused to sell me the car by pricing it 5 lakhs more than what is reasonable and also lack of diesel option (though known) and ventilated seats is a downer.

I love the looks of the Kushaq but stories about the quality and problems with the air conditioning is again proving to be a mental block. When they are asking for more money than that market leader, Hyundai Creta, other than the drivetrain, the whole package has to be enticing.

I cannot for the life of me understand what testing the manufacturers do. In a hot country like India, air conditioning is one of the primary features required in the car and there can be no compromise on that front. Features such as sun roof is absolutely worthless in my opinion. It is just there to add to the cost and one more item that requires to be maintained.
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 12:43   #88
BHPian

Own a Skoda - Yes
Will buy VAG 2.0 - No

The current 2.0 cars are not an upgrade over my existing Rapid. However, there should have been an additional option if you will own a VAG which is different than a 2.0, like the Octavia, Superb, Kodiac, etc

There are very good chances that a lot of the No's for people who own a C1 or C2 VAG will end up voting as Yes.
Shome is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 12:47   #89
BHPian

Voted YES! I own a VW and also owned them in the past.

It is true the current 2.0 version cars on the MQB India specific cars might not feel as solid as the older versions or the ones selling abroad. Multiple reasons perhaps. Like tax, profit margin etc. Also, they might be thinking in India, the cars now gonna get scrapped in 15 years and the owners will change them in 5 years mark. So they might be feeling that the cars might not have to built to last forever, unlike the predecessors.

Whatever that is, VW/Skoda ownership can be troublesome to the core with crazy dealers and ASS. However, their cars will make up that in the driving and safety department.

When we complain about VW 2.0 and calling it crap, well we are comparing VW 2.0 against which competitor? To my knowledge at least, the VW Skoda group cars are still miles ahead of competition no matter whatever the silly things that we complain here.

I was really pissed off with my VW ownership in India and its a fact. But it doesn't means I am unhappy with their cars. In my recommendation alone at least 10 people bought skoda 2.0 cars and no one told me till date it was a bad decision.

VW Skoda dealers sucks but their cars still better than competition. It's a reality.

Regardless, if I could give an advice to VW then I would say that, they shouldn't cut cost anywhere and give their full fledged cars without cutting any cost, that's what most people expect.

But then we complain their prices are higher than competition.
igemini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 20:55   #90
BHPian

My first car was Punto, second was Fiesta diesel
1.5 and currently I drive VW Jetta.
So if I have to move on from this pedigree what other option do I have in India other than the German big three? Hence option 1.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks