Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 23:44   #31
BHPian

Re: New lifetime road tax slabs being introduced in Telangana

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
One nation one tax will always remain a dream unless a single government is not there in center as well as state.
We have the same govt. in center as well as Karnataka, and we've seen the kind of enthusiasm state govt. has shown with the BH series registration. So, I don't think having same or different govt. at the 2 levels has any impact on this.
Old 12th May 2022, 00:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
We have the same govt. in center as well as Karnataka, and we've seen the kind of enthusiasm state govt. has shown with the BH series registration. So, I don't think having same or different govt. at the 2 levels has any impact on this.
What I meant was in Parliament (Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha, so majority of the states and not a single state). But I agree with you even then the govt won't want to let go of such easy money.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 12th May 2022 at 00:24.
Old 12th May 2022, 00:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

This trend of states increasing road taxes is going to go on and get bigger. Get ready to pay 25% to 33% as Road tax soon for vehicles over 20 lakhs.

The Center has usurped most revenue sources available to states to control through GST. The state’s share of GST is also collected by the Center and then they sit on it for months and don’t pay out to the states. The only revenue sources available to the states to manage at their discretion are road tax, property tax, alcohol sales and Petrol/Diesel VAT, and they are going to keep on increasing these three to just survive and get by.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th May 2022 at 00:17.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 01:06   #34
BHPian

I still wonder why the 15 year road tax , Some people keep upgrading the cars quite often and others may not but the buyers should be given an option for how many years tax one can pay . Cars are becoming a luxury but even more luxurious is the fuel prices due to high tax on Petrol Diesel.
Sarinkrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 06:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarinkrc View Post
I still wonder why the 15-year road tax
Assam is amazing!! In the sense that, Assam RTO has an option where a buyer can opt for just 5 years of RTO tax (50% of 15 years tax) and later on pay the remaining 10 years of RTO tax (remaining 50%). Though, it essentially turns out to be approx 110% of the original RTO tax, still a great deal.

I went for this option on my 2022 Vento and paid just under 45k as 5 years of RTO tax It reduced my both, initial ownership cost and the amount I had to take up as a loan.
Old 12th May 2022, 09:55   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamship View Post
It still doesn't touch Karnataka, as it has additional 11% cess on the road tax paid, which makes effective tax for 10 L - 20 L as 18.5 %
Yes I had totally missed the cess on road tax. So we pay road tax on the GST as well since road tax is on ex showroom value and ex showroom includes GST. That GST also has a compensation cess added to it.

On top of that there is 11% cess on the road tax.

So finally it's

- GST 28%
- compensation cess (1% to 22%)
- road tax on the car price as well as on GST and compensation cess
- cess on the road tax (KA only)
- cess for 2nd vehicle (TS as of now)
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:42   #37
BHPian

If this is implemented i think Karnataka will no longer be the state charging the most for road tax. I think it's High time the central government makes tax uniform across the country. This is creating differential treatment among citizens of the country residing in different states. At least we should be given the freedom to register cars in other states if we have valid documents and the same vehicle should be allowed to move without restriction across the country.
Old 12th May 2022, 12:44   #38
BHPian

What stops folks like me (native in Uttrakhand) or folks of HP to buy a vehicle there with BH plates and drive them down to Bangalore/ Hyderabad?
Old 17th May 2022, 14:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
What stops folks like me (native in Uttrakhand) or folks of HP to buy a vehicle there with BH plates and drive them down to Bangalore/ Hyderabad?
You can, provided you have valid documentation. Majority of the people don't have that luxury of getting BH registration done in other states where it's available.

Last edited by sweetvar26 : 17th May 2022 at 14:34.
Old 17th May 2022, 14:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
You can, provided you have valid documentation. Majority of the people don't have that luxury of getting BH registration done in other states where it's available.
I have a home in Uttrakhand and one in Bangalore. So technically I can buy, say, an XUV700 AX7 AT LP in Nainital and drive it freely in the streets of Bangalore? Saving approximately 1.75lakhs in the process?

Seems too easy. What's the catch?
Old 17th May 2022, 15:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I have a home in Uttrakhand and one in Bangalore. So technically I can buy, say, an XUV700 AX7 AT LP in Nainital and drive it freely in the streets of Bangalore? Saving approximately 1.75lakhs in the process?

Seems too easy. What's the catch?

BH registration has some requirements - like person should be in a transferable govt job or a private company which has offices in at least 5 states etc. So not everyone can get a BH registration. Also, if you don't have BH registration, KA police are very regular in stopping non-KA vehicles and questioning on how long its running in KA and doling out penalties.
Old 21st May 2022, 16:22   #42

I bought my new car from Hyderabad on last week of April. There was a push from the dealer to do the TR before May due to the same reason and I think I have escaped from the new tax slabs by just a week. However, I heard there were instances where the TR was done before the new tax regime but during registration process RTO asked to pay additional tax amount as per the new norms. Anyone aware of such instances?
Old 19th May 2023, 12:49   #43
BHPian

Folks in Hyderabad - while paying life time tax on a new car in TS, is the tax paid valid for the entire 15 years the car is registered for? For example, if a 4 wheeler car is registered in June 2020 with its registration valid until June 2035, will the life time tax be also valid until June 2035?

I was checking out pre owned cars in Hyd and upon entering details on Parivahan, tax validity shown on Vahaan typically is for a period of 12 years ie for the above example, it is until June 2032 while reg is valid until Jun 2035.

Can someone confirm if LTT road tax paid in TS is valid for the entire 15 years?
Old 28th May 2023, 00:34   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Folks in Hyderabad - while paying life time tax on a new car in TS, is the tax paid valid for the entire 15 years the car is registered for? For example, if a 4 wheeler car is registered in June 2020 with its registration valid until June 2035, will the life time tax be also valid until June 2035?

I was checking out pre owned cars in Hyd and upon entering details on Parivahan, tax validity shown on Vahaan typically is for a period of 12 years ie for the above example, it is until June 2032 while reg is valid until Jun 2035.

Can someone confirm if LTT road tax paid in TS is valid for the entire 15 years?
Hi @hothatchaway - I was looking for a thread to post about this, and I’ve had the same observation as you for Telangana registered cars. Atleast for all vehicles registered here in Rangareddy RTO, I’ve noticed the same trend that ‘Tax valid upto’ shows validity till 12 years from date of purchase, while the ‘Registered upto’ shows as 15 years.

I’ve noted the same observation for cars in my neighbourhood and the ones present with my friends in Hyderabad and Secunderabad that tax is valid till first 12 years. No one around me seems to be aware of this as the RC smart card only shows the ‘Registered up to’ date, and has no mention of tax paid till date. I’m really confused now about what ‘Lifetime’ tax means here in Telangana. Have raised this query with Honda dealer and agent who assisted me in the registration.

Team BHPians from Hyderabad (and Telangana in general) - request you to check your MParivahan data for tax validity. This is potentially a major issue for every owner, as people won’t even be aware that the tax payment validity has expired.
VTec_KickedInYo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 12:47   #45

Hello Guys,

I'm new here. I'm not aware if this question has been asked and answered before in other forum. Also could not find one after searching for the same here.

A question related to the 2% Road Tax for the additional vehicle in Telangana. Is this applicable for 2nd vehicle registered in Andhra Pradesh/ Telangana only or is the 2% Road tax applicable irrespective of the state in which the additional vehicle is registered?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks