Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan has no plans to exit the Indian market

Putting an end to all speculations, Nissan India MD Rakesh Srivastava has confirmed that the brand has no plans to exit the Indian market.

Nissan has no plans to exit the Indian market-2-11.jpg

Srivastava stated that Nissan India was focusing on its core models and segments as part of the larger global transformation strategy. The Magnite is the first model to be launched under the Nissan NEXT program.

The Nissan Magnite was launched in December 2020. Bookings have crossed the 1 lakh milestone, while 50,000 units have been produced till March 2022. Nissan India's top boss also revealed that more than 18,000 customer bookings for the Magnite are on a waiting period of 5-6 months.

Earlier this month, Nissan announced the phasing out of the Datsun brand in India. In response, a Member of Parliament tweeted, "Japanese car company Nissan is going to be closed in India." This had fuelled rumours about the company's exit from the market.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th April 2022 at 12:33.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Nissan has no plans to exit the Indian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Putting an end to all speculations, Nissan India MD Rakesh Srivastava has confirmed that the brand has no plans to exit the Indian market.
Well I would take this news with a pinch of salt. I do believe that Nissan is here to stay for atleast 2-3 years.
But surviving on a single product is something that I do not understand. Also, there is no news about new product launches from Nissan. In fact, I expected Nissan MD to follow his "No plan to exit India" line with plans for future products.
Dhillon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:34   #3
BHPian

Isn't this what Ford said before they pulled the plug? There's no way a Manufacturer that's selling cars at the moment in India will make an announcement about them exiting the country until the last possible moment. They've made significant investment in the country and wouldn't want to spook car buyers.

Unless Nissan backs up this statement with a product release timeline or at least tell us what all other cars they have lined up for the India market, it's hard to believe they are serious about their prospects in the country.
smoes is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Nissan should bring in Patrol/Armada to India and price is aggressively so that it can capture a big market share from Fortuner. Pseudo SUVs, India specific cheap models willnot help in long term.
Superleggera is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:06   #5
BHPian

I would take whatever these leaders say with a pinch of salt. The only truth is business performance, and on that front Nissan is struggling. I doubt whether they have a plan beyond Magnite, which itself might be a bit hit for Nissan but trails other products in the CSUV segment.

Did'nt Mary Barra publicly commit to India a year before GM quit?
achyutaghosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan seriously needs another model. What is stopping them from bringing the Triber equivalent? Oh, wait. On another thread we have the imminent divorce of Renault and Nissan.

TDed the NA engined Magnite, and lets say. Been ages since I have driven a crappy engined car. Except for the buyers of the base XE variant, spend the extra lakh or so and get the turbo!!! That is me saying without even driving the turbo version.

Had a chat with the SA regarding Datsun exit and all. He said Nissan will soon rebadge and launch. Asked which model and he replied it will be a hatchback below the Magnite. For a moment, day dreamed of the new Micra or something, but then sense prevailed. They may launch the Redigo or Go with a Nissan badge.
DicKy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 14:51   #7
BHPian

I was talking to the service manager yesterday regarding my Terrano service. He mentioned that Nissan is working secretly on a hybrid compact SUV which might be called ECO or ECHO. He said he doesn't want to share other details now!
CkmGowda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 15:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post
mentioned that Nissan is working secretly on a hybrid compact SUV which might be called ECO or ECHO. He said he doesn't want to share other details now!
In the absence of diesel options, makes sense for Nissan to work on hybrids and BEVs. Though, except for the Toyota Echo haven't heard of anything else called as Echo. ECO is too generic a term.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 15:20   #9
KPR
BANNED

I'm happy reading this news as I'm a bit selfish here. Personally I love Nissan Kicks in turbo petrol but my kids need a sunroof. If any Nissan employee is going through this post of mine can you please add sun roof to Kicks so that as a family all are happy?
KPR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 07:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I really hope Nissan doesn't pull out from India. I just picked up a used Micra CVT for the wife 6-7 months back. I'm really happy with the car. Yes spares are a bit pricey for a car in the hatchback segment, but pretty satisfied with it as a product. Dual airbags, ABS, Hill hold assist, CVT transmission all come together to make this product worthwhile against spending 6-7 lakhs on an SPresso AMT. I went for a Nissan after seeing the success of the Magnite.
longhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 08:23   #11
BHPian

Can't help but notice the prompt and proactive steps taken by Nissan (and Honda some days back) to dispel the rumours of brand exit, and see the contrast from the Ford's reaction to such rumours. The writing on the wall was so clear, months before the final announcement!
Old 29th April 2022, 08:33   #12
BHPian

Nissan's pulling out Datsun is part of the global Nissan NEXT strategy which they decided in 2020 as part of restructuring process. They have pulled out Datsun from other markets as well since it wasnt doing good in any of them. Nissan could have exited long before and wouldn't had bothered to launch Magnite in India which is the first product under NEXT strategy. As per sources, the next product is an SUV, named Terra.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 13:48   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think Nissan got a huge shot in the arm from Rakesh Srivastava & the Magnite. You could say that these two saved Nissan India. However, I wouldn't say the company is entirely in the green zone just yet. You can't run a car company with merely a single product selling ~3000 cars a month. It's on shaky grounds and another 2 - 3 products are needed. See how sibling Renault has the Kwid & Triber adding to its volumes.

Competition does make things better for the customer and for our sake, I hope Nissan India has a bright future. But it's a tough market and getting another 2 - 3 successful cars isn't going to be easy. Going to need all the genius that Srivastava has (and he is damn capable).

An old, related thread of mine on Nissan India
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 14:48   #14
BANNED

Nissan mainly surviving on exports is what I understand. It's very difficult to survive with only one budget product with low volumes. Not sure how dealers are surviving with such low volumes.
Old 29th April 2022, 15:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
If Mr Srivastava thinks he can 'put an end to all speculation' like this, he's mistaken. What would end this speculation is busy showrooms, filled with a range of models. For the moment, Nissan showrooms are anything but busy.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks