Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What cars would you like to see in India in the mid-size commuter segment
Mazda CX9 27 26.47%
Mazda CX5 38 37.25%
Mazda 5 22 21.57%
Mitsubishi Outlander 13 12.75%
Toyota Highlander 30 29.41%
Toyota Corolla 31 30.39%
Honda Civic 29 28.43%
Honda Accord 17 16.67%
Honda CR-V 27 26.47%
Kia Sportage 20 19.61%
Kia Sorento 13 12.75%
Kia Stinger 28 27.45%
VW Passat 16 15.69%
VW Jetta 31 30.39%
Nissan XTrail 12 11.76%
Nissan Altima 10 9.80%
Jeep Cherokee 14 13.73%
Ford Everest 36 35.29%
Ford Ranger 23 22.55%
Hyundai Elantra / N-Line 17 16.67%
Hyundai Sonata / N-Line 10 9.80%
Hyundai SantaFe 14 13.73%
Hyundai Palisade 25 24.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 14:23   #1
BHPian

What cars would you like to see on sale in India?

While we have come a long way from the humble Ambassadors and Premier Padminis to having the latest and greatest adorn our car showrooms, we are still behind many countries, even among developing nations, when it comes choices. This is pronounced in the mid-level commuter segment. We are spoilt for choices in the 1 - 20L (ex-showroom) price bracket and we have decent choices in the luxury segment. Its the mid level commuter segment that's almost empty. Offerings in this segment either lack reliability or are overpriced for what is on offer. Its blatantly ruled by the European twins or the lone Japanese Elephant. However this is a segment that is spoilt for choices world over and we really don't get much of it here.

So what cars you would like to see enter India in this segment. Please poll your heart away and share your thoughts on this. Multiple choices are allowed. The poll choices..
  • are restricted to cars that make sense for the large populace interested in this segment
  • are restricted to cars that already have RHD offering
  • do not cover luxury brands
  • do not cover models confirmed to launch in near future (2022 Tucson for example)
If you are interested in something that falls in this segment and that meets the above conditions and not listed in the poll, please add them as responses.

@Mods, I have mentioned Civic twice, one of them supposed to be Accord. I don't see an option to edit it Also editing the poll/thread title to 25-50L bracket might make sense for our market. . Can you kindly fix it and remove this line please. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th April 2022 at 14:35.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: What cars would you like to see on sale in India?

Voted for CX5, Sportage and Elantra N line.

Never driven the Elantra N-Line but the true blue Elantra N has been receiving high praise from all across. Obviously we won't ever get it here so I will make do with N line which isn't a bad car in any way except may be Hyundai's polarizing front end design.

As for CX5 the interiors are fabulous. All Mazdas have stunning interiors. If launched here, that car will sway people just based on the interior quality.

Sportage for Kia's new found design language. I just love mid-size to big Kia SUVs (Telluride is incredible but way too big) and Sportage finds a nice balance between small and too big. With Kia on a roll, Sportage makes sense.

P.S. I am surprised you included Palisade but not Telluride.

Last edited by amol4184 : 27th April 2022 at 15:24.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:30   #3
BHPian

Yes, the ELantra N is awesome and yes its front is polarizing. But I love the looks. The new Elantra is also one of the most silent cabins I have been in south of 50K USD. The Sonata similarly will give its competitors a run for its money when it comes to features and interiors. I forgot about the Telluride, my bad, Mods, please do add it to the list.

If the CX5/9 were made available in India, I would put in my money without second thought. You are absolutely right when you mention the Mazdas have really plush interiors.

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th April 2022 at 15:32.
Old 27th April 2022, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think we are missing VW Golf in this list, one among the famous models worldwide. Or add it along with VW Jetta?
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 16:51   #5
BHPian

Not sure why the Sportage and Stinger were never launched !!

When KIA was just opening shop in India, they had an event in Wheelers Club, Meerut and I went there along with my friends to see what this new brand is about, upon reaching I saw KIA Sportage, Carnival & Seltos parked with club members being shown the new cars. I loved the way Sportage looked (almost futuristic compared to what was available at that time) and was something that our market would've loved if priced competitively.

I also remember seeing a Stinger GT in NCR back then. Sporty looking sedan with nice road presence.

Can we have Suzuki Jimny? Please
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 17:42   #6
BHPian

Any Mazda really. I have been in the new Mazda 3 and MX5 and oh man they are such tasteful and high quality cars and good value too. Plus they look gorgeous, have nice interiors and drive great too. Add the Japanese engineering and reliability and you have some of the most complete cars around.
Next would be euro Toyota's. For example CH-RV looks so cool and the quality is great too. Hybrid is very efficient as well.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Mazda Mazda Mazdaaa!!! Just enter the market somehow!!! (sigh) We may see some random Chinese company get into the top five list than Mazda ever entering the market.

Though I have voted for, not saying anything about the Civic and CR-V.

Toyota stopped the Corolla by saying that market preferences have changed. Well, where is the Corolla Cross then? Toyota-san? Can't even dream of the sedan launching here, let alone the sweet looking hatchback and station wagon. The Highlander is a no-brainer alternative to the Camry. But then, Toyota is planning to push the Fortuner and Legender brands upmarket, definitely by the next generation. Why lose those juicy margins with a model that is more expensive to manufacture. Especially since the government is pocketing a big chunk of the price as nokku kooli.

The Everest aka Endeavour. If Ford keeps their word, maybe launch the top of the line V6 diesel as a CBU import atleast.
Old 27th April 2022, 20:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am quite happy with options we have. That said any new entrant should make it to our shores like KIA or atleast like MG. A half hearted attempt like Citroen, doesnot make any sense at all. I would like Ford to make a come back(though most have lost confidence with the brand).

More than the brand/model we need more safer and VFM cars! A made for India el-cheapo model is not welcome.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem we have is of quality and not quantity. With govt taking 40%+ in the form of various taxes, it's extremely difficult to offer quality that a customer expects for the onroad price paid.

The cheapest car without much localisation is what one should look for if overall premium feel is important. Such cars currently start at Tucson, Civic, Camry, Tiguan, etc. Even second hand cars of such models feel better than new cars of localised models.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am quite happy with options we have
But what options do we have. We have premium Skoda babies, The Fortuner, the Gloster, C5 and Tiguan. That's about it. Then we have Camry at the top of price bracket. Either they have dowdy interiors and overpriced or reliability is suspect, as mentioned in my initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The cheapest car without much localisation is what one should look for if overall premium feel is important. Such cars currently start at Tucson, Civic, Camry, Tiguan, etc. Even second hand cars of such models feel better than new cars of localised models.
There is no local made car except the Fortuner in this segment.

Perhaps you and pridered were misled by the title reading mid-size.. I had requested the mods to fix the title in my initial post to say - options in 25-50L price bracket. Hopefully once that gets fixed, it will be clearer.

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th April 2022 at 22:12.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 23:14   #11
BHPian

I would love to see Dodge coming to our country. I know its wishful thinking but after having driven the Dodge Challenger ooh.. its sweet engine note and response. Alas 2023 is the final production year of this magnificent beast with Chrysler going to drop this icon due to their electrification plans.

Ok coming back to reality I know this is never going to happen with the current taxation in place.

Last edited by vivekkp : 27th April 2022 at 23:16.
Old 27th April 2022, 23:49   #12
BHPian

Voted for all the Mazda's, both the Ford's and the Civic and Corolla.

Mazda, please just enter the market. My uncle from the US (who is visiting us) speaks praises of the latest Mazda CX-5 which he got to drive a couple of times as 2 of his co-workers have them.

Ford because I'm not ready to see Ford die, not yet.

Corolla and Civic because come on, who wouldn't want 2 of the most legendary sedans on sale?
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 00:02   #13
R_R
BHPian

Great list. The one manufacturer I would love to see in India is Mazda in your list. But you have left out Subaru which makes some great AWD vehicles, especially the Subaru Forester and Outback. And of course, more from Hyundai and Kia.
Old 28th April 2022, 08:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: What cars would you like to see in India in the mid-size commuter segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
But what options do we have. We have premium Skoda babies, The Fortuner, the Gloster, C5 and Tiguan. That's about it. Then we have Camry at the top of price bracket. Either they have dowdy interiors and overpriced or reliability is suspect, as mentioned in my initial post.
At any price bracket you have to make peace with shortcomings of a car. Even at sub 10L price, what is reliable/refined is unsafe and what is safe is not reliable/refined. Also new manufacturer will either reduce quality and price the car well or provide global standard and price at a premium.
If you start looking at cars based on your needs, preferences and intended usage, shortlisting becomes easier. Ofcourse you will still find shortcomings but then atleast you will be able to ignore ones that don't matter. Sorry if that was too much gyaan, but all I wanted to convey is even if we get more options(which is welcome of course) there will continue to be shortcomings.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:24   #15
BHPian

Re: What cars would you like to see on sale in India?

Actually, I want all the cars in India.

Adding on to OP's say, we don't have options not just in the mid segment but also in the entry level segment as well.
The 1-10 L segment is ruled by Maruti and Hyundai. While Tata is famously unreliable.
Similarly 11-20L is ruled by the Koreans duos. Again M&M and Tata are famously unreliable as brand.

So we want more options from 1L to 50L which is the actual market for India. Well, this also depends on the government policies, regulations, etc. In fact, what I see is that India is becoming increasingly unfavourable to foreign brands.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks