Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia Carens CNG spied for the first time

A test mule of a Kia Carens with a factory-fitted CNG has been spotted testing for the first time. It's the second CNG-powered Kia that has been spied this month, after an image of the Sonet CNG had surfaced online.

Name:  loadimages.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  44.1 KB

The spy image reveals an undisguised prototype of the Carens with a CNG tank in its boot. The CNG inlet nozzle is placed next to the fuel filler.

As per the windshield sticker, this particular test vehicle is equipped with a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine paired with a 6-speed manual transmission. This engine makes 138 BHP and 242 Nm when running on petrol. On CNG, the overall output is expected to drop.

Name:  43299kiacarenscngtag.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  29.2 KB

The Sonet CNG spotted earlier in the month is also expected to be powered by a turbo-petrol engine. The 1.0-litre unit makes 118 BHP and 172 Nm when running on petrol.

Source: V3Cars
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens CNG spied for the first time

Hope they have the good sense of launching this with the iMT, instead of the full manual.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 18:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Perfect for Delhi . And perfect for what could be the first Kia to find favour with commercial operators .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 22:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hope they have the good sense of launching this with the iMT, instead of the full manual.
I too sincerly hope that Kia provides an non pure manual option for the car. Will be perfect for driving in the city, where running costs are rushing beyond what's affordable and acceptable. And the turbo powerplant can help in highways and hills.
umohan98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 07:51   #5
BANNED

From what I understand, Kia aren't even targeting commercial buyers. Otherwise, they would be testing a lower variant of the car. Commercial buyers are usually not interested in top variants. They are happy with low to mid variants for hauling people with a decent number of comfort features for rear passengers. Judging by the available info, the sticker mentions TOP and it looks like the car has alloy wheels. So, this may be in testing for personal buyers only in top or upper-mid variant.

They've sold lakhs of vehicles and I'm yet to see a Kia with yellow plates. I've even spotted the new i20 and Polo (barely any rear-seat legroom) wearing yellow plates.

I totally agree that it needs the Auto-Clutch manual (ACMT). It's the perfect thing to (almost) completely kill the full manual and greatly impact the AMT's sales. I hope they make ACMT the default manual transmission in all Hyundai Kia cars. Once you drive one of their turbo ACMT cars, it's difficult to go back to the clutch pedal. Unless I'm driving on the BIC, for all other purposes, I think the ACMT will completely meet my needs.

They may just become the first carmaker to offer turbo + CNG. But if they give it the ACMT, then they will also become the first carmaker to offer a 2-pedal CNG car.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 24th April 2022 at 07:59.
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:23   #6
BHPian

OOT, why are cylinders always cylindrical? Can't it be manufactured in a flat boxy shape? Asking this because if the CNG/LPG containers can be manufactured to sit flush/flat in the boot, then it could liberate more space for luggage.

Last edited by T-Bone : 24th April 2022 at 13:24. Reason: spelling mistake
T-Bone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
OOT, why are cylinders always cylindrical? Can't it be manufactured in a flat boxy shape? Asking this because if the CNG/LPG containers can be manufactured to sit flush/flat in the boot, then it could liberate more space for luggage.
I can think of 2 reasons
1. A sphere has the highest volume to surface area ratio. This means that we can accommodate more gas in the cylinder which occupies less space compared to any other shape. While the tanks are not made spherical as they will be very impractical, the cylinder comes close.

2. CNG is filled with high pressure. A sphere is an ideal choice to withstand such pressure. As they are impractical, we use a cylinder.
steeroxp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 14:07   #8
BHPian

We'll be sending our 2Lac run immaculate 2013 Duster 85PS to Goa because of that wretched 10 year rule. Since our running is high, CNG will be our choice of fuel atleast for long distance as EV's for long distance trips can be scary.

I was looking for an approximately 15L 7-seater so that i can make it a lounge inside for my dad who is dealing with severe back pain which is almost chronic now.

I find the Carens VERY ugly even my mom says that it looks like a 'Fish with an open mouth' and with no Naturally Aspirated AT Petrol, I took it out of consideration as the contemporary looking XL6 fills these. Since the DCT is plagued with issues, an aftermarket CNG will immediately invalidate my warranty and also I'm not sure about these new aftermarket kits that are designed for GDI turbo petrols despite having owned 8-9 CNG carb cars since 1999 with a total mileage of 10L kms.

Now, Turbo DCT CNG, if launched then I will most likely buy the Carens as the Built Quality and Ride-Handling package are much better than the XL6/Ertiga, and I'll happily overlook the Blue Steering and the ugly face.

PS : I have been hearing that the filling point on the quarter-panel can make it prone to early rusting. Inputs anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Sounds perfect but then they'll have to recalibrate the clutch as CNG does require 5% riding at low rpms to keep it jerk free. Even the starting off requires additional throttle in the first gear. Hope they do it well.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 24th April 2022 at 14:29.
dr.aviansh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Hi,
Along with the volume related efficiency of a cylindrical shape, there is also the factor of lesser joints required to make a cylinder thereby giving the inherent advantage of withstanding higher pressures.
Hareesh27 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks