Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 14:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Bye Bye Datsun | End of India story for the Nissan baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Re-introducing Datsun as a "cheap" brand was just one of the many DUMB ideas of erstwhile Nissan-Renault CEO, Carlos Ghosn.
I think this is the crux of the issue. Resurrected an old name plate under the incorrect assumption that a race to the bottom was the way to get volumes in India when I'm pretty sure right about then was when the writing was already pretty much on the wall in terms of how Indian consumers would respond to a bare bones vehicle in the Nano market response.

I vaguely remember the Hover-Nissan dispute and I'm unfamiliar with the specifics and how the timelines mesh in but resurrecting a whole brand from scratch to get around that seems drastic in any case!

Shuttering the Datsun brand was inevitable given the paltry numbers and the fact that it was quite clearly an also ran brand. For reference when a cousin was buying their first car, parents and I advised them that if they had to buy new (they rejected our advice of the first car always being a used one), get something cheap and cheerful like a Datsun. But they didn't even go for a test drive because they viewed Datsun as a poor mans brand. Obviously this is anecdotal but goes to show that Datsun management would have a mountain to climb to undo that image (look how long and how much of a concerted effort it took say Tata to shake off some of its entrenched stereotypes of yesteryear).

Really wonder what happens with the Renault-Nissan alliance in India going forward. Last I checked there still isn't clarity on the global alliance structure with the Japanese still suspicious of the French govt stake in Renault. Such a shame if these two brands eventually make an ignominious exit (hopefully not, they're ticking along but clearly lots of untapped potential and room for some growth given some solid products in recent years).
Old 21st April 2022, 14:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Datsun was Resting in Peace since day 1, this is just an official announcement. Lackluster cars, poor marketing, directionless management -closure was always around the corner. Hope Nissan doesnot follow the suit.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:54   #33
BHPian

I took a test drive of Redigo sometime in 2017. It screamed cheap as soon as I opened its door. NVH was harsh, brakes/gearbox were pretty much average. Interiors were nothing to write home about. It was as rough as my 19 year old M800(sold in 2018).
Just like Nano, you cant survive if your main mantra is cheap. I doubt if anyone will miss Datsun.
Lets hope Nissan doesn't follow the suit. Anything in pipeline after Magnite?
Old 21st April 2022, 14:58   #34
BHPian

It is sad that an iconic brand like Datsun was resurrected just to make Nissan look good. They kept it focused in a specific price bracket, and made the customer feel very explicitly that it was built to a price, through missing features, poor built quality and blatant disregard for safety.

I wish it was not that- a cheap car brand. Rather, staying with its original roots, a brand that redefined entry vehicles across all categories. A Datsun C-SUV, or a 2 door sports car, or even a entry level pick-up truck. Am sure these products would have done better than the cheap hatchbacks it ended up with.
Old 21st April 2022, 16:06   #35
BHPian

I guess manufacturers across the world should sit up and take note that India is no longer a market for cheap, unsafe cars to earn a quick profit margin. The "kitna deti hai" mind set is not the most prevalent and a whole range of buyers are looking for comfort, safety and to some extent, a status symbol.

This is what happened to Tata a decade ago when they kept focusing on cheap vehicles and look at the turnaround they made after they revamped their design language.
Old 21st April 2022, 16:53   #36
BHPian

Datsun brand's built quality was worse than tin cans. Not sure how they were allowed to sell the cars in the first place.

Have not seen this car in any of the crash tests. Probably got crashed even before it arrived for the test.

I was shocked to get the feel of the car when I went to PDI for my friend. When I opened the door, felt as though the door would come apart.

It was just a matter of time for them to pack the bags, which eventually happened.
Old 21st April 2022, 19:25   #37
BHPian

Gone for good! I don't understand one thing about Renault-Nissan, when the parent company itself is not doing good in terms of sales of whatever product they have in the showroom why they might have thought to bring Datsun from the dead and portrayed it as budget brand in India Market.
Old 21st April 2022, 19:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
I guess manufacturers across the world should sit up and take note that India is no longer a market for cheap, unsafe cars to earn a quick profit margin.
You say that but just a quick look at our car sales show that Maruti and Hyundai are at the top of that list...and what do they sell again? We as consumers have voted for the cheap, gadget-laden, unsafe cars and we act surprised when other manufacturers try to unsuccessfully replicate that.

You also mention TATA as reinventing themselves - did you happen to read the recent TATA Safari horror thread that was listed on the main page? Of course, a few experiences do not reflect the entire brand but it has become a pattern and safety is nothing without reliability.
Old 21st April 2022, 20:03   #39
BHPian

Well, the trends certainly show that the consumers are getting more conscious of safety day by day. And I was comparing with the Datsun Go anyway which doesn't even come with "gadgets". This, won't sell in India anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
did you happen to read the recent TATA Safari horror thread that was listed on the main page? Of course, a few experiences do not reflect the entire brand
Yeah, I saw it. It really contrasts with the general satisfaction of most customers. But compared to the erstwhile Indica and Manza, the current batch of products is certainly a turnaround.
Old 21st April 2022, 21:39   #40
BHPian

Didn't see very many of these around anyway. Safety standards need to be elevated across the board to prevent them from being introduced in the first place.
Old 21st April 2022, 23:09   #41
BHPian

How one should make a car that could be an option for a buyer who otherwise is buying an Activa or a two wheeler , one simply thinks that from monthly sale of 10 Lakh+ 2W, even if 2% could convert to 4W , still a big number.
I think time is ripe for an Indian Hongguan Mini EV vehicle.
Old 22nd April 2022, 07:29   #42
BHPian

For someone like me who knew Datsun through my Hot Wheels collection (the legendary Z240s, Fairladys and 510 trucks), their whole Indian saga was painful to watch.
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 07:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarLover View Post
Datsun brand's built quality was worse than tin cans.

I was shocked to get the feel of the car when I went to PDI for my friend. When I opened the door, felt as though the door would come apart.
Initially yes, but Datsun did claim they had strengthened the body of their cars after that infamous Go crash test. In fact, the latest Datsun Go had a kerb weight of about 930 odd kgs, equivalent to the latest Baleno , along with making dual airbags standard. In fact the Datsun Go was the only A-segment hatchback that had a proper CVT transmission option. I just think Nissan's strategy on India is to be blamed for this, they have never got things right except for the Magnite (so far), and even that isnt exactly a marquee product as such.
Old 22nd April 2022, 08:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Initially yes, but Datsun did claim they had strengthened the body of their cars after that infamous Go crash test.
They did. Global NCAP confirmed the changes by testing the made-in-India 2017 GO+ with a driver's airbag for Africa. It had poor protection to everything but the head and neck, and scored a neat 4 points (scored points for head/neck only), the bare minimum mark for one star.

For the rediGO it appears they were targeting three stars (like the LatAm Clio Mio, where incidentally they also reinforced on the driver's side only) but unfortunately like the Kwid the driver's chest reached the maximum limit for injury beyond which the star rating is limited to one star regardless of score. Oh yes and you might ask what Renault were thinking when they sponsored the Kwid's one star test: it appears they were targeting three (would have been very creditable for the segment IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In fact the Datsun Go was the only A-segment hatchback that had a proper CVT transmission option.
Also the most affordable car to get optional ESC.

Last edited by ron178 : 22nd April 2022 at 08:19.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:45   #45
BHPian

Unlike many who have an armchair opinion on Datsun, I actually put my money on one - a Datsun Go +, in 2014. It was bought as the Dogmobile for the family, and stood parked alongside an Altis and a Verito.
Doggone it, I was actually quite impressed by its proposition and ownership. At its price, where the choices would only have been as distinctive as being called Hari, Paul Or Ahmed, with a 1 litre Or 800cc maruti, I got a whole lot more car!

A 1200cc peppy engine, a good gearbox, distinctive looks with a 'what's that car' glance at every signal and possibly the only car in its price that could make a dog comfortable in both the middle AND the last row. So, imho, for my purpose, I quite liked the Datsun,, especially in the specific perspective of it's size vs price ( of both engine and cabin space).
As a dog car it helped bring my woof down on many a wag-a-bonding drive, so it makes me pensive that it's dog eared page in the book of Indian automotive history has finally been put on paws. Or rather, stopped!
AnAntinspired is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks