Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 20:29   #1

VW-Skoda DSG problems galore! But what else to buy in the 20 - 40L segment for driving pleasure?

After being a silent spectator to all the super informative posts on the forum, finally sharing my first post. I'm a proud VW/Skoda user and enthusiast, however the DSG issues have got to me. I have experienced a gearbox replacement on my Superb 1.8 tsi a couple of years back and now facing something similar with my tiguan allspace 2L petrol which I bought for a considerable premium as a preowned car from my nearest VW dealership not even a month back. Read enough about the DSG issues on this forum but the question I really want to ask here is what does one really buy if not for VW group cars from the 10-40L segment. The ride, built quality, driving pleasure, etc is still unmatched as compared to all the other competitors. However, the thought of the gearbox failing at uncertain times eclipses all the positives. I feel like replacing my superb also now which has done 40K km in a span of 5 years (bought EW for the 5th and 6th year)

Drove the jeep compass petrol auto but the engine was extremely sluggish and buying a diesel car is today's day and age doesn't make sense due to the 10 year phase out rule in Delhi. Still unsure as to what to buy next.
Kanv19 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 08:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: VW-Skoda DSG problems galore! But what else to buy in the 20 - 40L segment for driving pleasure?

A thought-provoking post for sure. VW-Skoda cars are the ultimate in providing "value luxury", if you look at the proposition of models like the Kodiaq, Superb, Passat, Octavia, Jetta etc. Lower down the food chain, even the Polo / Rapid 1.0 TSIs were a hoot to drive & boasted 4-star GNCAP safety ratings to boot.

On the downside, you have to deal with their pathetic dealers and as you said, DSG failures, along with other reliability issues. Which is just one of the many reasons that the group's overall sales are quite low. In fact, they've really not seen much growth over the last 10 years.

It's definitely a challenge to upgrade from an Octavia, Jetta, Superb, Tiguan, Passat or Kodiaq as these models punch considerably above their weight. Ask any Jetta 2.0 TDI / Octavia owner whether he sees value in spending 60-lakhs on a new C-Class. Ask any Kodiaq owner if he's going to spend big money on an Audi Q5.

That being said, other manufacturers are also offering superb engines & gearboxes now. E.g. Hyundai-Kia's turbo motors & ATs are fantastic, the current Camry can be a bit of fun to drive (no longer boring), I'll give the Compass Diesel AT a 7 / 10 rating and there are a few other models.

But as you said, VW-Skoda's lineup of cars offer a certain combination of European build + powerful engine + fast gearbox + safety + suspension tune that is hard to find in other brands. The heavy discounting on their models helps too. We recently added a Superb to our garage (6-lakh discount), while a close cousin got an Octavia (3-lakh discount). Extended warranty taken, mentally prepared for 2 DSG failures in our typical 10 years of ownership. With German cars, you just have to be prepared for 1 week of agony every year in exchange for 51 weeks of driving pleasure.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2022 at 08:44. Reason: One more thing...
GTO is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 08:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: VW-Skoda DSG problems galore! But what else to buy in the 20 - 40L segment for driving pleasure?

I can completely relate to this post. I am in the market for a comfortable monocoque SUV / crossover anytime this year or next, but am unconvinced with the options available or soon to be available.

# The German sticker prices for new cars have become eye watering.

# Cars like Kodiaq / Tiguan while providing the closest comparable experience have the VAG sword hanging.

# The Jeep is the next closest comparable experience but has a below par (relatively speaking) gearbox with no S mode / paddle shifters - also compact size when you speak of Compass - hopefully the Meridian will fix that. But still, too many imperfections for the enthusiast driver.

# The Tucson diesel A/T (2022 edition) is the closest leftover which throws in all the bells and whistles on the engine / tranny etc front, will be contempary as well, but not sure it will feel out and out European-like to drive.

Fortunately I’m not in a tearing hurry but the predicament is indeed frustrating and I don’t see the situation changing anytime soon.
Axe77 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is to wait for the Born EVs from Kia and Hyundai that will come next year. They will blow away the entry-level ICE luxury marquees and the VW-Skoda DSG-based cars. For example, the Kia EV6 will perform better than a BMW 3 Series or even 5 Series at comparable money. We are now reaching the point where we can consider electric just for the driving pleasure and luxury over ICE counterparts. Ignore every other angle of savings and environmental preservation about the EVs, buy them for the performance. I had long cherished the dream of a BMW 3 series, but not anymore. My next buy will be an EV that performs better than entry level ICE Germans at a comparable price.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 19th April 2022 at 09:06.
padmrajravi is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:03   #5
BHPian

I think you have the following options:

1. Buy the VW/Škoda but get a manual gearbox. You get all the enthusiast features you want but without the unreliability of the DSG. Alternatively you can look at the 1.0 engines cars which come with a torque converter.

2. Get the turbo powered Koreans. Both the Creta and Seltos give you fast 1.4 turbos with a quick shifting DCT. Most reviews claim these machines are fun to drive and very close to the VAG 1.5 experience. The service and reliability of the Koreans will be much better in case of any failures.

You can also wait for the new Tucson which will be launching in the next few months. Though I am not clear if we will get a turbo petrol on that one.

3. Go left field - the Citroen C5 aircross is well loved on the forum.

4. Stand in line for the XUV 700 - this car really ticks most boxes if you are ok with it’s mammoth size and uninspiring styling.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th April 2022 at 10:02. Reason: Minor typo.
Silverfire is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 09:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW-Skoda DSG problems galore! But what else to buy in the 20 - 40L segment for driving pleasure?

There was a significant 'inbetween' market about a decade ago. The CRV, Captiva, Outlander, Civic, Octavia, Corolla - before going the whole hog and get the German big three brands , Camry, Accord etc (money wise).

Right now the inbetween segment is where you pay more tax and get nothing in return.

So either you settle for a mass market XUV7OO or go all the way to a BMW.
Kosfactor is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:37   #7
GBX
BHPian

Re: VW-Skoda DSG problems galore! But what else to buy in the 20 - 40L segment for driving pleasure?

IMO, this is a space partially vacated by Ford/Honda. They're the only other manufacturers who can pull off semi-premium sporty cars. eg. Civic, Accord, Mondeo, etc

In their absence, your only option would be to wait for the koreans to launch more sporty models like the Elantra n-line. Or alternatively, stick to manual variants of the new crop of VW/Skodas.
GBX is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:37   #8
R_R
BHPian

To add to the problems mentioned in this fine thread, if you are in the market for a petrol-AWD-SUV, AFAIK there is literally nothing available other than Tiguan or Kodiaq (Thar is the only alternative but it is too hardcore for most folks) this side of 50 L. The fuel type problem is specific to NCR residents now but could become a nation-wide headache in the coming years. All other AWD-SUVs are diesel, including Fortuner. Even the new Tucson may only have AWD in its diesel variant, not its petrol version, though this is yet to be confirmed, obviously. The current Tucson AWD is only available in diesel, for example. So, NCR folks have to either settle for a diesel AWD, with the the short 10-year registration, or stick to non-AWD petrol or just accept the VAG twins and accompanying DSG uncertainties. A bad set of choices I am currently grappling with too, so this strikes home.
R_R is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:50   #9

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Since it's my first post so still getting around the way the forum functions. Summarizing on all thoughts I've heard so far :

1. No manual gearbox sadly since I stay in NCR and it's a crime to manoveur around with a stick transmission.

2. The Korean counterparts are more flash and less substance. They are all about frills and compromise the ethos of a basic car which is handling, ride quality, braking and their steerings are very nimble. So that will always be a no. The C5 is a great car, however lack of dealer network and brand presence makes it tough to spend 35L on it. My soul doesn't allow me to spend so much money for a Mahindra XUV 700. I'd rather settle for a kushaq/taigun 1.5 dsg despite all their cons.

3. The VAG cars are unparalleled but the uncertainty of thr gearbox failing at times uncalled for is now playing in my mind. It's a tough spot to be in.
Kanv19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

How about going the Used route and saving up a bit of money in the process? Haven't got anything particular in mind, but check around and you'll find gems, I'm sure.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if you are up for used cars or not but this sounds like a 330i problem to me.

P.S: An absolute curveball? Wait for the petrol Scorpio. 4x4 with vroom sounds and knowing how M&M have tuned the mStallion, it'll probably be a decently fast big SUV.
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 09:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post

P.S: An absolute curveball? Wait for the petrol Scorpio. 4x4 with vroom sounds and knowing how M&M have tuned the mStallion, it'll probably be a decently fast big SUV.
I doubt someone looking at VAG cars would be happy with Scorpio. Both have different segment of customers, though there might be some overlap.

As a Skoda owner if I have to change my car, only option I would look (outside VAG) at is big 3 - mostly a BMW. Everything else at comparative price point or a segment higher will feel like a compromise.

Fact is finding a good upgrade (outside VAG) from cheapest VAG’s like Polo, Rapid itself is a big task for many

Last edited by sunikkat : 20th April 2022 at 09:48.
sunikkat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 09:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
sounds like a 330i problem to me.
I was thinking the same, a used F30 with stage 1 or 2, but my only problem is the interiors don't even come close to a vRS or even a superb.

Mod note: Please ensure that you use CAPITAL letters where required. Thank you for the support.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st April 2022 at 07:59. Reason: i —> I
peepo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I doubt someone looking at VAG cars would be happy with Scorpio. Both have different segment of customers, though there might be some overlap.
That's why my first suggest was a 330i. The Scorpio/Scorpion/Scorpio 700/whatever they call it after launch, was an out-of-the-box suggestion. Maybe they'll want to try something fun in a different way?

I have myself owned a Superb and currently driving a Vento. Would jump on the Scorpio bandwagon the century it is released (probably not before 2122)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepo View Post
I was thinking the same, a used F30 with stage 1 or 2, but my only problem is the interiors don't even come close to a vRS or even a superb.
Agreed to that. Yeah, we will lose out on a great interior and some extra features but what we get in terms of driving and reliability (no DSG) in an F30 more than makes up for the basic interiors. Besides, the 330i is slightly better equipped than it's diesel counterpart 320d. Front parking sensors to begin with.

At the end of the day, we should realise that we are in the worst car market on the planet and should be happy with whatever minimal upgrades we can get by losing an arm or a leg

P.S.: Are you familiar with Pepega Mod?

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st April 2022 at 08:04. Reason: Minor formatting edits.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if you are up for used cars or not but this sounds like a 330i problem to me.

Scorpio is in a different league. Its ride quality is almost similar to riding a tractor. I am not sure how much improvement will be made in the 2022 facelift.

Tucson has become my favorite after a recent test drive. Infact if it was not so expensive, it would be my pick just for the sheer ride quality and comfort it offers along with Hyundai's good ASS

Last edited by Turbojet : 20th April 2022 at 10:19.
Turbojet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks