Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 11:27   #16
BHPian

Re: March 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Tata is selling boring cars. No major update/refreshment since the intial launch of Tiago, Tigor and Altroz. Look at how Swift, i10, i20, Verna, Dzire, Accent, WagonR and many other models evolved over years. Maruti, Hyundai refreshes their models in under 4 year mark.

Tata is just happy that they have a car in each mass market segment. They don't even have a proper Sedan in their arsenal and also nothing in D2 and UV. Overall, Tata's lineup is old and boring and it will continue to be so. What exactly does this lack of update mean that they don't have a proper design studio? Is Harrier an anamoly? Or just like their legacy ASS attitude they are happy churning out old products just because it works.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 11:37   #17
BHPian

Thanks For the numbers.
For VW, with polo discontinued, they need to ensure that Virtus is a hit in the market. otherwise it might be a a bit difficult for them to survive in the market.

Also, Hope the Hybrid city brings in some volume for Honda and ushers in the Hybrid era in India.

Cheers!
Old 13th April 2022, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Maruti

"As the supply situation of electronic components continues to be unpredictable, it might have some impact on the production volume in FY 2022-23 as well". The above statement on just the 2nd day of the new financial year from a company official means that they have already started defending the loss of market share that they themselves are anticipating.

One thing is certain. Maruti is hiding behind the chip issue. The fact is, it is losing market share thick and fast. I believe it will continue to do so till it comes out with some refreshing models rather than refurbished ones. I recall a post about the number of bookings of various car manufacturers some months ago. As per that, the ratio of number of bookings to approximate monthly production was least for Maruti indicating that it does not have too many bookings with respect to its production capacity, as compared to other manufacturers. Of course this was before the recent launch of the new Baleno, still I believe the ratio would not have changed substantially. I also believe that as other manufacturers spread to newer geographies with their showrooms, Maruti is losing that edge as well.

TATA

TATA is riding on the "New Forever" range. It needs to understand that nothing remains new forever (pun intended). I hope they have started work on the next design versions. Of course it has some near term levers (for numbers) in the form of several EV/CNG launches coming up. It seems that they are staggering various EV / CNG launches to match the production capacity.
Altroz has been Punched. Death of Ford seems to have benefitted Tata most. Tigor is back from the Grave.

M&M

With the booking numbers that it has, M&M could have challenged TATA for number 3 position had it planned its production in a better way. On the balance sheet front it would certainly be feeling the pinch (due to substantial increase in raw material prices recently) because of price protection to the first 25000+25000 bookings of XUV7OO. So effectively all the production of XUV7OO till July/August 2022 will be billed at old booking rates.

M&M, be quick with EV.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2022 at 10:08. Reason: Please use "spaces" between your paragraphs. Aids readability
Old 13th April 2022, 12:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Maruti
TATA
M&M
Extending it to the Korean twins Hyundai and KIA:

1. Hyundai alone was having a market share of 20+% some time back, and now it stands at 13%. Even if we add with KIA, the combined share stands at 21% only. And it is not just an aberration, but month after month, the case is same.

2. Except Creta, Venue and i10, most of their models like i20, XCent, Verna, Santro, Alcazar are performing poorly / far below their peak.

3. They should know that blings alone won't sell nowadays. It did some time back when Indian customers were not having much options. Now, even Maruti has started offering such blings. And customers nowadays are becoming increasingly aware of the new happenings.

4. Their designs have become "overdone" (see Creta, i20, Verna, i10 front) or extremely boring (Santro, i10 rear) for most of the models. They should know how to make cars with some grace in their design. Instead, with every iteration, their cars are becoming increasingly horrendous.

5. Last but not the least, they should also deliver on the safety front as well. People once thought that Hyundai cars were more safer than Marutis seeing the plastic quality, but the true colour of Hyundai and KIA is exposed in the various NCAP tests. See how Tata challenges them with safer products even in the hatch segment, while Hyundai's 20Lakh worth Creta scores a borderline 3 star in GNCAP test!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th April 2022 at 12:38.
romeomidhun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Tata motors success story of recovery of market leaving behind all the biggies of the world must be part of all B-school curriculum as case study. I hope some one comes up with a book or so on how the whole things was crafted out.

Just imagine if they correct the sales mind set towards more customer centric than now (not that it is worse at the moment) but perhaps the 2nd podium finish is not too far. Coupled with a well planned eV strategy - they are already planting the seeds of success for 2025 market share in eV. Watch out the new TATA.
groom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 13:58   #21
BHPian

Wow Tata! Just wow! You are going from strength to strength!
Now is the right time to think forward and bring in a sedan, an affordable 7 seater MPV to take on the likes of Ertiga/Carens, Spruce up the Safari and make it more desirable as compared to the XUV7OO.
Just my two cents worth!

Apart from this, doesn't Force motors publish thier numbers? Now that Gurkha has caught a lot eye balls and converting into sales as well. Sharing numbers would also give a chance to people sitting on fence struggling to decide between the Thar and Gurkha.
Old 13th April 2022, 14:00   #22
BHPian

I was thinking how Honda is able to survive on only 2 decently selling models but it is virtually the same story with Renault/Nissan and Skoda/VW. These guys are better placed due to their partnerships I guess. Honda has simply wasted the Brand capital they had built over the years in India. Even a half-decent hatchback or CSUV by them would have sold in decent numbers if they had introduced them in the last couple of years. A 19-20 lac City Hybrid is barely going to sell 100-200 units and won't change Honda's fate.

If they do not introduce a fresh product by the end of this year, it would be fair to assume the worst.
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 14:24   #23
BHPian

The Kia Carens is classified as MUV/Utility and the Hyundai Alcazar is classified as SUV/D1.
Aren't the the same segment and same car essentially? What is Team-BHP's logic of the categorization?
Old 13th April 2022, 15:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tata has taken 5-7% share from Maruti and Mahindra has take 2-3%. Good to see Indian manufacturers fighting it with global giants like Toyota, Honda, VW, etc. Maruti is clearly struggling with semiconductors issue. They need to get it sorted soon else they will lose many customers for sure. Also they need to get all new models in pipeline to market soon, then only they will go back close to 50% market share.

With Slavia doing good and upcoming Honda City Hybrid, Virtus, I guess we can see some positive movement in sedan segment after long time.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:14   #25
BHPian

Is there any specific reason we don't see model level break down for the premium segment.
Old 13th April 2022, 17:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
The Kia Carens is classified as MUV/Utility and the Hyundai Alcazar is classified as SUV/D1.
Aren't the the same segment and same car essentially? What is Team-BHP's logic of the categorization?
If Team BHP is doing the categorisation of vehicles in our market, very few of the "SUVs" will get categorised so

IIIRC, the categorisation is from SIAM (or was it ARAI?).
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:08   #27
BHPian

The automobile industry is caught up badly in the never-ending chip crisis. It is tough to estimate how long "pending demand" would continue to remain alive and would not just dry out, the way it did for the Ford Ecosport which ran year-long waiting periods before customers finally lost patience.

March has seen a lot of action and the following are my observations

1. Due to a whole host of factors Maruti's market share is under serious stress and at 41.65% it is dangerously close to sinking below the 40% mark.

2. Tatas are closer to the No 2 spot now and my earlier predictions of them getting here in 2025 may happen post-haste!

3. In the overall SUV market the Tatas are already No 1 and everyone reading this post should note that this is the segment where the growth is. Just to give you a perspective, they were ranked at 3 last year in the overall SUV markets in 2021

4. Today 1 in 4 of the amazing 4 meter SUV market is a Nexon. 1 in 5 cars sold in India is a 4-meter SUV. So 5% of all cars sold in India today are just Nexons! This is despite NOT having class-leading, or rather having class lagging engines and auto gearboxes in the ICE segment! The hunger in the customer population for EVs is kicking off and this is where the incremental bump in market share and demand will be harnessed successfully by the Tatas. My sincere hope is that in the coming days of summer heat where we already see a lot of tragic thermal runaways in the e-scooters almost on a daily basis, we won't see any EV car go up in flames.

5. By price segments the cars below Rs 10 lakhs have come down to 52% of overall market shares and may fall below the 50% mark this year. They were 80% of the market in 2011 and 70% in 2016

March 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2022-march-market-shares-.jpg
niranjanprabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 18:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Would be interesting to know the sales by variants across some top selling cars. How bad is the chip shortage hitting the sales numbers? Are only top variant sales hit etc would be good to know.
Old 13th April 2022, 18:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Tata is selling boring cars.
A very different perspective than what market says! Rather than updating/ face lifting, I think they are bringing new cars to the market, like mobile phones Looking at the market trend, all gen Y and gen Z's are in market for something new rather than a facelift. May be, TATA got that pulse
sunilsreenivasg is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 19:03   #30
BHPian

I had asked this in the Feb 2022 sales thread and didn't get a reply and hence asking again. Isn't Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS a B1 segment car? I see it is always mentioned as B2 segment.

About the sales, many of those SPresso sales are probably coming from taxi segment as I have seen plethora of White SPresso taxis on road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks