Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2022, 18:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser LC300 and Lexus LX600 coming to India soon

Rumour: 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser LC300 priced at Rs. 2.1 crore

Toyota opened bookings for the 2022 Land Cruiser LC300 back in August this year. As per the latest reports, the SUV could be officially launched in a few weeks at a starting price of Rs. 2.1 crore (ex-showroom). It will be imported via the CBU route.

Name:  20220822014438_Land_Cruiser_LC300 _1_.jpeg
Views: 2154
Size:  90.0 KB

The Land Cruiser LC300 is based on Toyota's TNGA-F platform. The SUV retains its boxy proportions and features an imposing grille at the front. It features squared-off wheel arches that house 20-inch alloy wheels. Crucially, the LC300 weighs 200 kg less than its predecessor.

Toyota Land Cruiser LC300 and Lexus LX600 coming to India soon-20210610020239_land_cruiser_dash.jpg

Inside, the Land Cruiser comes with a 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a digital instrument cluster and a host of other convenience and safety features. In India, the SUV is likely to be offered in a single fully-loaded trim.

The India-spec Land Cruiser LC300 is said to be powered by a 3.3-litre V6 diesel engine. This twin-turbocharged unit belts out 305 BHP and 700 Nm and is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd December 2022 at 18:04.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 18:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Rumour: 2022 Toyota Land Cruiser LC300 priced at Rs. 2.1 crore
Ridiculously priced but Toyota is doing a smart thing as the niche buyers for this have so much moolah that they just don't care
These niche buyers are our top politicians! If one actually deep dives into the sales numbers, it would be a good guess that over 70% of the end users are politicians. Most don't buy it in their names for obvious reasons.
Toyota knows this fact and they also know a bigger fact that these guys have no other choice as such. They could afford any brand but the LC is the only one that goes under the radar as the rural common man perceives it as just a "Toyota", a Fortuner at best. This fact is the key selling point of the LC that makes it the top choice for these guys, if the 2cr price tag was known by their vote banks, it would be big trouble for them!

Last edited by Sahil : 22nd December 2022 at 18:13.
Sahil is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 18:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Ridiculously priced but Toyota is doing a smart thing as the niche buyers for this have so much moolah that they just don't care
Would it have made more business sense to bring this in instead as a CKD, much lower in price as a result, and given the famous nameplate, presumably do significantly more volume?
Or just better as a high priced CBU 'halo' product to help with brand equity or whatever.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:02   #49
BHPian

Toyota is one brand that can price their vehicles any way they deem fit and get away with it. Its not just in India, they can do it in any other market and no one will be surprised. Money aside, what are they doing with this single Diesel engine option? I would never want to go with a diesel engine at this price range and to top that BS6 has ruined diesel engines for me forever. Who would want to encounter DPF issues or the regeneration and all that at this price point? Yeah Toyota Diesels might not have DPF issues on a large scale but with the new norms anything can happen and Diesels are no longer worth it I believe. At this price point the least they can do is give a few engine options and maybe they will, since nothing is set in stone yet. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

At twice the price of the X7 and benz GLS, it's quite the crazy pricing. Everywhere else in the world, the landcruiser was considered overpriced even when it was priced less than the german trio. Then again, almost no one in India is buying one of these with their 'own money' if you catch my drift so it could be priced at 5 crores and it will still sell the same numbers.
Cresterk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:48   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Then again, almost no one in India is buying one of these with their 'own money' if you catch my drift so it could be priced at 5 crores and it will still sell the same numbers.
No offence mate, but let's not generalize the consumer base. I am sure there would be many hardworking individuals who buy these with their 'own money'.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:41   #52
BHPian

Doesn't this thing have a 4 years waiting period? What's the point of the new version if people aren't going to be able to have it.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 23:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No offence mate, but let's not generalize the consumer base. I am sure there would be many hardworking individuals who buy these with their 'own money'.
Hence why I said "almost"

Every product has a core consumer base that they target. I'm just saying that this is the consumer base toyota has in mind for India.

We had a 2015 LC200 that we regrettably had to sell off. As good a car as it was, it was rather overpriced even by foreign standards and even sitting in a 'lowly' X5 had me scratching my head because it was clearly a segment above.
There is a premium to be charged for the reliability and off-road capabilities, but not to this extent.

If you get a bed made out of the most advanced memory foam with all the pressure relieving, vibration dampening, ventilation etc tech available, it will cost you 1L and it might last for 10 - 15 years max.

If you make a bed out of steel, it would last for decades and maybe centuries. But that doesn't mean you will pay 1-2L for it, do you? You especially wouldn't prefer sleeping on such a bed even if you are able to use it for pretty much any purpose without damaging it.
Cresterk is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 07:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZhivago View Post
Toyota is one brand that can price their vehicles any way they deem fit and get away with it. Its not just in India, they can do it in any other market and no one will be surprised.

I think it’s due to lack of proper competition. If the competition is good enough, Toyota price the products accordingly. Simple example is US market.
arunrajk81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 09:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence why I said "almost"

Every product has a core consumer base that they target. I'm just saying that this is the consumer base toyota has in mind for India. ...If you get a bed made out of the most advanced memory foam with all the pressure relieving, vibration dampening, ventilation etc tech available, it will cost you 1L and it might last for 10 - 15 years max.....If you make a bed out of steel, it would last for decades and maybe centuries. But that doesn't mean you will pay 1-2L for it, do you? You especially wouldn't prefer sleeping on such a bed even if you are able to use it for pretty much any purpose without damaging it.
Almost like saying, 'Merc owners don't buy with their own money, but the money made off the backs of labour people' or 2 wheeler guys saying car owners are wasting road space. Atleast in Kerala, you can see big businessmen and celebrities buying and using Landcruisers and LX. They are not ones after discreet stealth wealth cars and their garages of Rolls Roycse/Mercs/ Range Rovers are popular and known to public. Yet they seem to buy it. The fact that the Prime Minister motorcade has Maybachs and Range Rovers, yet use the Landcruiser when travelling outside NCR must be for some reason. Not to go under the radar.

And c'mon. That bed analogy is cruel. It should be more like you have either a bed with ventilation, heating, cooling, massaging features, whole range of adjustability but needs servicing once a year and you can use it for max five years. Not to say technicians should come if something goes wrong.

Or.

You can have a big comfortable bed that will make you sleep the moment you hit the bed, stays in the same shape for many years, is ergonomic and will last 10+ years. Either one is a choice.

Regarding CBU Toyotas, they act like just an importer who happens to provide service/parts support. Unlike say the Germans who happen to sell CBUs at less prices than a private import, but then make up for it by selling locally assembled cars at CBU pricing.

Last edited by DicKy : 24th December 2022 at 09:56.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Atleast in Kerala, you can see big businessmen and celebrities buying and using Landcruisers and LX. They are not ones after discreet stealth wealth cars and their garages of Rolls Roycse/Mercs/ Range Rovers are popular and known to public. Yet they seem to buy it.
Fully agree with you. A Land Cruiser and a Mercedes S Class would make a perfect 2 car 'practical garage' for many businessmen in Kerala. The Vellfire gained some initial traction too as an Innova upgrade. The only other vehicle that nearly matches the LC in this department would be the Mercedes GLS, but then anyone who has used both the LC 200 and 166 GLS knows the GLS is cheaper but you get what you pay for.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 13:55   #57
BHPian

I recall an article on it a few years back mentioning one of the most overhyped and overpriced vehicle. The vehicle had low ratings and not much has changed today.

Venerable Car and Driver Magazine rates it 6.5/10, essentially implying the vehicle is not worth buying by any major yardstick.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/land-cruiser

An X7/GLS will beat it hands down in any category and still be cheaper. Those who are willing to throw money on inferior products in name of exclusivity do a phenomenal job by filling the coffers or GoI and supporting some jobs in Toyota city!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 24th December 2022 at 13:56.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 14:29   #58
BHPian

I agree that the LC300 is overpriced at 2.1crores, However, I think that, this is mostly the result of our tax structure, rather than Toyota being greedy (mostly). Taxation on cars here in India has always been high (China being the only other major market I know off, which has even higher taxation). With the LC300 being a CBU, I'm sure the tax man is laughing his way to the bank.

As to our PM using the Landcruiser outside the NCR, I can think of 2 reasons

1) Transporting the Maybach & Range Rovers can't be easy.

2) More importantly I think, to paraphrase an article I read a long time ago in the 'TIME' magazine about the vehicles used by the UN - "The reason the most of the UN vehicles are Landcruiser's and not Range Rover's, Mercedes Benz's or Chevrolet's is that, when you are driving through a hail of bullets, you do not want your car to fail".
Toyota vehicles are by and large, reliable, but the Landcruiser, it is on another level. It is still only 'Made in Japan', in one factory I believe and nowhere else.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 20:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
You can have a big comfortable bed that will make you sleep the moment you hit the bed, stays in the same shape for many years, is ergonomic and will last 10+ years. Either one is a choice.

Not true. Try taking a ride in a landcruiser, the suspension is tuned for offroading and thus it is stiff. You will feel the potholes and irregularities on the road. Even toyota's and lexus' own sedans feel much more comfortable. It's not fun to drive either. The steering is vague, the brakes are spongy and the gearbox is rather lethargic especially with the downshifts. The only place it excels in is gunning it down bad roads with zero regard for the car because nothing is going to happen to it. But then again, you could say the same about a Mahindra or Force product but I don't see anyone ludicrously overpaying for them. Would you pay a 2x the price of a VW Taigun/Skoda Kushaq for a Bolero, Thar, Scorpio, Gurkha etc because they are bigger and more reliable?

It's a great offroader, but does anyone here actually take it offroad? Especially after paying this price? The people who buy this have another car they use as a dedicated offroader. Especially in Kerala where most trials can't even fit a vehicle of this size and weight. It really excels over sand but do we really have a desert here other than in Rajasthan?

Quote:
The fact that the Prime Minister motorcade has Maybachs and Range Rovers, yet use the Landcruiser when travelling outside NCR must be for some reason. Not to go under the radar. lol
Those are exactly the kind of people I was talking about being the landcruiser's primary customer base here. Politicians who aren't buying it with their own money. It could be priced 1 crore or 5 crores, it wouldn't matter to them because they are not buying it with their official salary.

Quote:
And c'mon. That bed analogy is cruel. It should be more like you have either a bed with ventilation, heating, cooling, massaging features, whole range of adjustability but needs servicing once a year and you can use it for max five years. Not to say technicians should come if something goes wrong.
And the landcruiser somehow does not need to be serviced? Maybe you are thinking of the barebones landcruiser J70. The new ones have plenty of complicated electronics. We had a complementary service package on our LC200 that covered it till 80k kms but after that we were given a bill for around 4000 sar which translates to about 87k inr. And that's in a country where they are pretty common and there are no high taxes or import dues on parts. Good luck with your rare CBU landcruiser here that can only be serviced at select dealerships.

Even if you have to pay 2L+ (overestimate) in service and replacement costs a year for the Benz GLS or the X7 for 10 years, you still end up spending a lot less money than outright purchasing a landcruiser in India. It would be a decent car for 80L-1 crore but not for 2 crores+
Cresterk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 22:09   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try taking a ride in a landcruiser, the suspension is tuned for offroading and thus it is stiff. You will feel the potholes and irregularities on the road.
You must have used the one with KDSS, the ones we get here in India had only an initial batch with KDSS and the rest all with AHC which is standard on the LX in global markets. The ones with this type of Hydraulic suspension are far more comfortable, and there is minimal roll.

Quote:
The steering is vague, the brakes are spongy and the gearbox is rather lethargic especially with the downshifts.
Since 2018, Toyota has added a Sports and Sports + mode that changes the throttle response and turns this thing into a beast. I cannot comment on the Brakes as I find them suitable for my driving style on this large SUV, definitely, not like an X5 but more like Mercedes, I can say.

Quote:
The only place it excels in is gunning it down bad roads with zero regard for the car because nothing is going to happen to it. But then again, you could say the same about a Mahindra or Force product
A Mahindra or force will take you to all the places where LC can go and probably some more but in what comfort Don't we all pay extra for Business class seats on Train/ Planes?

Quote:
The people who buy this have another car they use as a dedicated offroader. Especially in Kerala where most trials can't even fit a vehicle of this size and weight. It really excels over sand but do we really have a desert here other than in Rajasthan?
Agree, and the performance of the Diesel on the Dunes is not that great, unlike Petrol that you must have owned or usually people associate with Sand.

Quote:
And the landcruiser somehow does not need to be serviced? We had a complementary service package on our LC200 that covered it till 80k kms but after that we were given a bill for around 4000 sar which translates to about 87k inr.

That's completely different here, I don't the reasons except for the type of fuel as my average service bill every six months happen to be less than 20K including fully synthetic oil that I buy from Amsoil usually. No additional expenses in my 4 Years of ownership.

Quote:
Good luck with your rare CBU landcruiser here that can only be serviced at select dealerships.
Wrong, you can get these serviced everywhere, at all Toyota dealerships. Spares are also very competitively priced. Until 2018 or so, brake pads on the LC were cheaper than Fortuner despite the fact that these used to be in Lexus packing. Not any longer though but still nowhere as expensive as any Germans.

Quote:
Even if you have to pay 2L+ (overestimate) in service and replacement costs a year for the Benz GLS or the X7 for 10 years, you still end up spending a lot less money than outright purchasing a Landcruiser in India. It would be a decent car for 80L-1 crore but not for 2 crores+
Some of the spares on the Germans can be very expensive after the warranty. If there is no such requirement then the 1 lac per Year should be more than enough on any German for regular service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
I recall an article on it a few years back mentioning one of the most overhyped and overpriced vehicle.

An X7/GLS will beat it hands down in any category and still be cheaper.

As they say, beauty is in the eyes of the holder, I keep on changing my cars pretty often but this is one vehicle that I don't intend to sell despite getting almost the same price some four Years later as I paid originally in 2018.

On the subject, given the price of LX @ 2,8 Cr, a ballpark of 2 Cr is what Toyota will price at. Obviously, this is not what everyone will be comfortable with but Toyota has released only a handful of vehicles so everything was taken even before a formal launch. A major portion does go as the Taxes, 100% Customs and 50% GST and some other landing and other charges/ duties.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th December 2022 at 22:22.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks