Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2007, 18:56   #1
BHPian

SX4/Swift driver visibility

Hello to all,

I took a test drive of the SX4 and the Swift today as I kicked off my campaign to find a replacement for my trusty 9-year-old Zen - I liked what each car had to offer in their resective segments, but I felt that the old Zen won over both the cars as far as visibility for the driver goes.

I find the Zen an extremely easy car to drive in city traffic and park in tight corners because I can see so much from the driver's seat, whereas in the SX4 I could not really make out where the hood ended. In both the cars, rearward visibility was not as good as the Zen - especially as I always take a quick peek over my shoulder while changing lanes to avoid side swiping any poor motorcyclist who happens to be in my blind spot, and I found this tougher in these two cars.

I guess the visibility provided by the Zen is just something I have to sacrifice if I decide to go for the Swift/SX4?

Thanks,
Amit.
Old 10th June 2007, 22:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, almost all new cars are ladat....less visibility at the front(check out the Civic for this matter!!) But then after driving the car for a few days u'll get used to it and then it wont b that hard afterall..
Old 10th June 2007, 22:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree what Karthik247 says, I felt samething almost all new cars sit in driver's seat you will see steering

Swift has better visibility than SX4 as per me from driver's seat according to me.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th June 2007, 22:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_julian View Post
- especially as I always take a quick peek over my shoulder while changing lanes to avoid side swiping any poor motorcyclist who happens to be in my blind spot, and I found this tougher in these two cars.
You should use the mirrors and turn lamps for lane changing.

The Swift’s rear is terribly designed from the driver's point of view. The only way one will know if there is something in those massive blind spots caused by the C pillars is when one hears a crash.
If you want good all-round visibility, then drive a soft top jeep.

I have not driven the SX4.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The cars you've mentioned have a high waistline keeping in line modern safety philosophies. The high waistlines effect in cocooning the occupants inside, resulting in indifferent all-round visibility compared to older cars.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only car of recent times which has fantastic visibility for driver's is the mighty CEDIA.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

one of the reasons

Quote:
The cars you've mentioned have a high waistline keeping in line modern safety philosophies. The high waistlines effect in cocooning the occupants inside, resulting in indifferent all-round visibility compared to older cars.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Only car of recent times which has fantastic visibility for driver's is the mighty CEDIA.
Cedia is a great car just not marketed and priced right. When i first drove SKODA i didn't found it comfortable to drive due to visibility. But the friend who owned it said its ok man u r not used to. It was 2.0 Petrol.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:39   #9
BHPian

When I switched from my trusty m800 to palio I had the same feeling but it took me a few days to get comfortable with it. So dont worry about that, you will soon be used to it like you are used to your zen
Old 11th June 2007, 14:23   #10
BHPian

alfa_kilo : Driving on Pune roads, you get to realize that not everyone notices the turn lamps and even less people actually recognize the fact that the turn lamps are blinking for a purpose Hence I like to physically look and make sure that there's no one occupying the space where I intend to be! It's like a third level of safety.

Well, the lower visibility levels are just something to get used to, I guess.

Thanks,
Amit.
Old 11th June 2007, 18:05   #11
BHPian

Due to the thick a-pillar and quarter window, the SX4 visibility is poor for sure. I am experiencing this esp when cars that comes into the round abouts from right side. You have to remember the fact that this is a thick pillar and make sure twice by slightly move yourself to the right and check thru the side window.
Old 11th June 2007, 18:54   #12
BHPian

Innova

Well all new cars have same feeling until you get used to it.
I had this feeling about innova its size and how to handle it in bangalore city traffic but after i took out my cousins innova for 2 days the feeling completely changed it was just too good to ride and the length of the car didnt matter
Old 11th June 2007, 19:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
alfa_kilo : Driving on Pune roads, you get to realize that not everyone notices the turn lamps and even less people actually recognize the fact that the turn lamps are blinking for a purpose Hence I like to physically look and make sure that there's no one occupying the space where I intend to be! It's like a third level of safety.
How do you deal with the temptation to mow down people who ignore turn signals amongst other things? These people totally ruin driving.
Old 11th June 2007, 19:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, the lower visibility levels are just something to get used to, I guess.

Thanks,
Amit.

Invest in Blind Spot Mirrors (rotating type). They are pretty cheap. But Help a lot in situations like mentioned.
Old 11th June 2007, 19:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

any new car will have its own set of blind spots, i remember how i used to curse esteem after the 118 NE, then went on to curse the iKONs behinds after zen and compared to that swift is cake walk.. obviously after getting used to over a period of time.

i feel the overall width is more pain compared to rear view in a swift, rear view one can master with ORVM usage very easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks