Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 18:55   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh

Stop gap initiative till they launch the Altroz EV - which would be automatic in any case. Kind of understand why TM is refraining from investment in AT gearboxes , where IC itself is on the way out.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:07   #122
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Belgium-based powertrain systems supplier, Punch Powertrain's compact DCT system debuts with Tata Altroz
Link
Other than usual glorification disappointed to see that it says nothing about reliability

Last edited by Sheel : 25th March 2022 at 13:29. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 25th March 2022, 12:30   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Other than usual glorification disappointed to see that it says nothing about reliability
Isn't most of what they are saying related to reliability ? (highlighted in bold below)

Quote:
The wet-clutch, six-speed DCA is different from a conventional dual-clutch transmission (DCT) by the virtue of its separately-placed clutches, as well as a single layshaft unlike the DCT‘s two or three units. The patented new way of realising the dual clutch principle offers seamless DCT shifting, while using 35 percent less shifting components.

-Entails improved driving comfort even under challenging conditions, such as extreme ambient temperatures, high altitudes, and varied driving environments which includes uneven roads and stop-and-go driving.
It looks like this will be one of the first production applications of this gearbox. The only other reference I could find for the Punch Powertain DT1 seems to be with PSA but not sure if any vehicle is currently in production with this gearbox.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 12:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

The DSG failures mostly had to do with actuator failures and not with mechanical components.

If the clutch is still operated by these actuators, I honestly do not believe it's more reliable than any other dual clutch gearbox.

But fortunately, wet clutch DSGs have been far more reliable and that's a glimmer of hope.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 13:20   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
Interesting choice by tata of using DCT on NA 1.2 engine, but honestly I think this is a temporary measure to keep price under control.
I think the 1.2 turbo petrol engine bay may not be able to accommodate a wet clutch dct transmission. As far as i know , VW also couldn’t fit in a wet clutch dct with their tdi engines and hence took a big risk with the dry clutch dct . Hope tata finds a way around .
Malluspec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 13:23   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Isn't most of what they are saying related to reliability ? (highlighted in bold below)
Nope. They are referred to only in the context of "improved driving" whatever that means.
Old 25th March 2022, 13:42   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malluspec View Post
I think the 1.2 turbo petrol engine bay may not be able to accommodate a wet clutch dct transmission. As far as i know , VW also couldn’t fit in a wet clutch dct with their tdi engines and hence took a big risk with the dry clutch dct . Hope tata finds a way around .
The VW Jetta did come with a multiplate wet clutch DSG (6-Speed) paired to a TDI engine. The issue is cost. Multiplate wet clutches are more expensive.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 14:08   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
The VW Jetta did come with a multiplate wet clutch DSG (6-Speed) paired to a TDI engine. The issue is cost. Multiplate wet clutches are more expensive.
Yes yes i meant in the polo platform .
Old 26th March 2022, 07:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Here is conversation between Tata's Mohan Savarkar
An interesting bit of information he shared with the Indian Express was, that this DCT is costing them around the same price as a six speed torque converter.
ashutoshb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 08:12   #130
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I hope the clutch assembly oil circuit, actuator oil circuit and gearbox oil circuit is separate.

Cannot fathom how they are managing the clutch debris with just one circuit.
Old 26th March 2022, 12:54   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Embargo till 9:00 am on Wednesday, March 30. The Team-BHP Official Review will be live then

Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh-20220326-10.12.38.jpg
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 13:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Embargo till 9:00 am on Wednesday, March 30. The Team-BHP Official Review will be live then
Can any tidbits be revealed before embargo is lifted ?

Last edited by sanchari : 26th March 2022 at 13:53.
sanchari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 18:08   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Listened to the interview with Mr. Mohan Savarkar, VP of Tata motors. What I could make out from the interview is that there is chance of turbo or diesel variant getting automatic any soon
Thanks for sharing the interview! Mr. Savarkar hasn't mentioned no chance of DCA in i-turbo or diesel, just that they introduced it in NA variant since it comproses 85% of sales. They're not going to give a definitive yes or no for these questions.

That said, with DCA only in the NA petrol, and if it's half decent then the share of NA petrol sales will only increase over the current 85%, so they can use that rationale to never introduce the DCA in any other engine for the Altroz.

In addition, the coddling of Nexon by Tata would indicate to me that the DCA will arrive in the Nexon petrol & diesel variants (replacing the AMT) much before the Altroz i-turbo or Altroz Diesel get it.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 00:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Attachment 2288663
Sorry for going OFF TOPIC!

Can someone explain the possible reasoning/science behind dictating such long embargoes to auto journos, reviewers etc...

I understand a few days so that all media personnel can be treated fairly and no one has an unfair advantage when releasing reviews, but a few weeks I'm struggling to figure the logic here?!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 01:16   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
this DCT is costing them around the same price as a six speed torque converter.
If this is indeed true, we just need to wait it out to see if they did a grave decision mistake. I would have preferred a 6 speed TC (that could drive all versions of revotron and revotorq engines), as will everyone.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks